GUILTY WI - Bart, 50, and Krista Halderson, 53, found deceased, Windsor, 1 Jul 2021 *son arrested*

^^bbm

I dunno -- seems that CH was bent on a mission to win at all and at any cost! Perhaps this was part of living his 24/7 gaming culture in place of a balance of school or gainful employment. Lying was very easy for him because he believed ordinary rules don't apply to him. He just seems so desensitized in how he could commit the most heinous acts over about 40 hours yet carry on seeking and replenishing his narc supply in search of where to find his next $5 for soda and chips. MOO
IMO
Lies
I'm sure it goes way back. Earliest I heard was that he was a scuba diver for search & rescue for Madson LE. Told by 2: His former GF (before Cat) and childhood friend / roommate. I can imagine how many more he has told but nothing like the elaborate more recent ones. I prefer to focus on the lies and not what he physically did to his parents.

Thus far from my trial viewing, CH is collecting many excuses for the burn marks on his hands/arms including he burned himself when grilling burgers for Cat's dinner on Friday night, and the latest is he was burned by sparks when viewing fireworks at Dan's during the evening of July 4 (Sunday). Dan was one of his mother's co-workers that is also a neighbor.

It was so putrid of him to ask to go over and hang out at Dan's, after Dan had already been inquiring about his mom's whereabouts!

There is apparently more footage coming from the CH case at that youtube channel, the owner said in the comments they have more, including audio of CM's first interview.

That same channel owner says they also have audio of CM's jail phone calls with CH, which apparently occurred before she finally realized the truth.

Yes, so, so slimy. And like no care or concern for his poor parent’s at all. They didn’t even do anything to him! It’s just so cold and calculating.
Just feels justified because …

4/25/22

MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) - The 24-year-old Dane County man convicted of killing and mutilating his parents has new representation as he pursues a court appeal. His newly appointed council is Madison lawyer Michael Covey.

[..]

“I was just appointed to the case on Friday. I am eager to work on it and look forward to meeting with Mr. Halderson as soon as possible. We will vigorously pursue any appellate issues,” says Covey.

Covey says he is in the process of collecting court transcripts and evidence files to review from the trial back in January 2022. After he goes through everything, he will then decide whether or not there is anything from the trial he can argue against and appeal with the goal of getting Halderson a new trial or lesser sentence. Halderson is sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Covey says it’s not uncommon for it to take nine to eleven months to gather all information needed to make a decision on whether or not to go forward with a motion for an appeal. He says he hopes to meet with Halderson sometime later this week.

From public records, it does not appear that an appellant brief was filed after the intent to appeal notice was filed, and no appellant case number has been assigned.

However, there have been several transcripts filed by the court reporters and the latest was filed on 10-10-22.

Dane County Case Number 2021CF001568​

State of Wisconsin vs. Chandler M Halderson​

Court record​

DateEventCourt officialCourt reporterAmount
10-10-2022Transcript
Additional text:Court Reporter: Rowan Thompson Transcript of Jury Trial 1/11/2022 AM ONLY
08-12-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Trial - January 4, 2022 Court Reporter: Erin Rauber
06-29-2022Transcript
Additional text:Reporter: Rebecca Farris Transcript of initial appearance on 7/15/21
06-17-2022Transcript
Additional text:Sentencing Hearing held 3/17/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-17-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Trial Day 10 Instructions, Closings and Verdicts 1/20/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-17-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Trial Day 9 held 1/19/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-17-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Trial Day 8 held 1/18/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Trial Day 7 all day held 1/12/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Trial Day 6, PM Session held 1/11/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Trial Day 5 all day held 1/10/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Trial Day 4 all day held 1/7/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Trial Day 3 all day held 1/6/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Trial Day 2 all day held 1/5/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Trial Day 1 PM held 1/4/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Jury Selection held 1/3/22; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Motion Hearing held 12/29/21; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Motion Hearing held 12/13/21; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Motion Hearing held 11/16/21; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-16-2022Transcript
Additional text:Arraignment held 9/1/21; Reporter: Jeanette Sundstrom
06-10-2022Request
Additional text:SPD Request for Court Record
05-02-2022Transcript
Additional text:Bail Hearing - July 12, 2021 Reporter: Lori Gerlach
04-26-2022Transcript
Additional text:Reporter: Patrick Weishan 1.19.22 Jury Trial until 3.53 p.m.
04-26-2022Transcript
Additional text:Reporter: Patrick Weishan 7.28.21 Preliminary Hearing
04-22-2022Request for court record
Additional text:SPD request for court record
03-18-2022Notice of intent to pursue post-conviction relief

That same channel owner says they also have audio of CM's jail phone calls with CH, which apparently occurred before she finally realized the truth.
Do we know when she was told the extent of CH’s crime? During her interviews she eventually was aware he was involved in his parents disappearance, but I don’t think she was interviewed after receiving the horrifying facts.

Another video is out: Chandler Halderson and Cathryn "Cat" Mellender Squad Rides.

CH says little during his ride, except for mostly asking the kind of questions that a guilty person would be asking. As they were leaving, he asks the driver why the police are going into his house. "What are they up to?" he asks. Early in the ride, the driver says something on radio, and CH asks if he just called him a suspect. But he had said subject. He also asked why they're taking his gf too, and why are they separated? Did the neighbors say anything? He also asks whether IF he's allowed to leave that night, will he get a drive back. At another point, he mutters under his breath, "what is going on?"

He looks physically uncomfortable the whole ride, I would guess part trying to feign pain from the fake injury and part fear that they're onto him. He was very fidgety, turning his head and looking all around and behind nervously, and also frequently sucking on a vape pen.

On the other hand, CM was amiable and chatty the whole ride, mostly small talk, with little info on CH. Some info on her family, that her grandfather was a Dane Co. Sheriff's captain, a brother is also LEO in St. Louis. Talks about how she met CH through a close friend who was his ex. In the 48 Hours about this, one friend of CH said he did very well with women. Seemed odd to me from the video we've seen of him where he comes off very socially awkward, but I guess when not trying to cover up murders, CH can show better social skills.

Any TikTok tater tots out there may be interested to know that CM follows mama tot.

Another YouTube is out, it's called Chandler Halderson Case Files: JAIL CALLS September 2021--Part One.

Cat and her mom were still supporting him at that time. They must have had a hard time accepting it. Too much was known by then to not to realize he probably did it, like that they found remains in the home.

It's odd though because it seemed like in her second police interview, she was already realizing that he did it.

Last edited:
Another YouTube is out, it's called Chandler Halderson Case Files: JAIL CALLS September 2021--Part One.

Cat and her mom were still supporting him at that time. They must have had a hard time accepting it. Too much was known by then to not to realize he probably did it, like that they found remains in the home.

It's odd though because it seemed like in her second police interview, she was already realizing that he did it.
I've not listened to the calls yet but I imagine that any calls between the defendant, Cat, and/or her mother would intentionally be scripted so as not to let on what they knew about the crime. Both witnesses were aware their calls were being recorded. The call was about 60 days after Chandler's arrest. JMO

ETA: Also, I'm recalling how Chandler had already tainted his parents to both Cat's family and the farm owner. Typical sociopath manipulator...

Last edited:
Another YouTube with audio from his jailhouse calls with CM: Chandler Halderson: JAIL CALLS November 2021 TWO months Pretrial

The last call there is 11/27/21, less than 6 weeks from the trial start, and CM is still very supportive, exchanging I-love-you's and I-miss-you's, and she's even paying for his jailhouse fees. This is well after the amended complaint from June that had lots of damning evidence against CH. She does say in a call that she is not reading the news, but it's hard to imagine she avoided it so much she didn't know enough.

I really wish she would give an interview to explain what she was thinking. And, no, there is no sign that she is trying to get info out of him for LEO, they never come close to saying anything about the murders at all, they never even mention his parents at all. Prosecutors had way more than enough evidence by then to easily prove he did it.

Another YouTube with audio from his jailhouse calls with CM: Chandler Halderson: JAIL CALLS November 2021 TWO months Pretrial

The last call there is 11/27/21, less than 6 weeks from the trial start, and CM is still very supportive, exchanging I-love-you's and I-miss-you's, and she's even paying for his jailhouse fees. This is well after the amended complaint from June that had lots of damning evidence against CH. She does say in a call that she is not reading the news, but it's hard to imagine she avoided it so much she didn't know enough.

I really wish she would give an interview to explain what she was thinking. And, no, there is no sign that she is trying to get info out of him for LEO, they never come close to saying anything about the murders at all, they never even mention his parents at all. Prosecutors had way more than enough evidence by then to easily prove he did it.
I don’t know… I think CH is very manipulative and I’ll just leave it at that. Maybe she still didn’t want to believe it and hoped it wasn’t true.
I have someone close to me that is clearly being scammed by a love interest and it’s sooo painful to watch but yet I get it. People want to feel cared for.

I don’t know… I think CH is very manipulative and I’ll just leave it at that. Maybe she still didn’t want to believe it and hoped it wasn’t true.
I have someone close to me that is clearly being scammed by a love interest and it’s sooo painful to watch but yet I get it. People want to feel cared for.
Agree, so manipulative. He speaks as though he expects to be OUT and what he will do for her; her mother (solar panels) cook food etc., when he must know there is zero chance that will happen, given his crime. At this stage, does CM not know the extent of the crime? Otherwise, one would think she may reject his claim of freedom soon and his cooking her a shepherds pie!! :oops:

It's overwhelming to hear this girl participate in conversations with this psycho-killer!

She has a brother in law enforcement -- how could the adults in her life not do better by her. She has a therapist, for what? I'm so disappointed in Cat.

And poor Chaz. He doesn't have a therapist, just therapy paper for drawing and coloring. Gag.

And what a delusional sod! Chaz appears truly put out that Mitch is all for him being sent away! Duh....

No Thanksgiving greeting for you, dear brother! I'll show you...

No remorse whatsoever. No thoughts about his parents on Thanksgiving Day. The couple that fed and provided for him much longer than I ever could!

I'd like to know if he ever threatened them physically. Did they sense how evil he was and that they were in danger? :confused:

Thank you. Also watched CM Part 2. Poor girl, so honest, trusting, couldn’t believe CH could be involved, but as events unfolded had to wonder. Just HOW bad the situation was she could never have imagined. Hope she is doing well.
There's a part 3, where CM is with her lawyer in discussions with two detectives. I love how this particular conversation is exactly that, with all 4 parties heartfelt and human.
I found CM to be quite an extraordinary woman, spellbinding, really. I wish I could have that balance of smarts, feelings, and the ability to maintain her personal voice in very difficult circumstances.

On that note, would have liked to hear from the 2 officers who questioned CM (they're not the same ones on 48 Hours), on what it was like to have to lie to her like they did about how Bart and Krista were both still only missing, when Bart's remains had been found earlier that day. Especially how chummy they were with her.
As I recall, the detectives only said they didn't know where Bart and Krista were. This likely was true! Very carefully phrased. a) they only ever had partial remains; b) they hadn't gone through the ash yet; c) they hadn''t identified any remains for Krista yet; d) no telling if Bart's remains were in the morgue, en route, on the ME's autopsy table; e) they might not officially have identified Bart's remains.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back