WI WI - Catherine Sjoberg, 16, Concord, 5 June 1974

What a MONSTER. He killed his foster son for the insurance money and he killed the couples for his own sexual gratification and some thrills.

I wonder how LE knows that he was not around the area when Catherine went missing? It seems so odd that he kidnapped and killed high school kids from the exact same place that she disappeared from.

I also want to know how he found the area. How did he end up there at one point? Did he have a friend or relative in the area? It wasn't a big city with plenty of opportunities, as far as I know. Something made him move there in the first place. Most people move somewhere for a reason (family, friends, girl friend, job opportunity, great place to bring up a family, etc.). I wonder if it was possible he drove through in 1974 to visit someone, but he didn't stay at that time?

Does anyone know if her boyfriend was ever investigated, being she left because they were having an argument? What was the argument about? Was she upset to the point of leaving prom, or did she just step outside to collect her thoughts?
It sounds like they don't believe Edward Edwards was responsible because he was not in WI when she went missing.
I'm just wondering if the boyfriend was cleared, as well as her friend who saw her leave, or any other students there. Did she have any enemies at school? Any girl jealous of who she was going to prom with?
It sounds like she had a lot of stuff coming up, so it's hard for me to believe all those "sightings" reported of her, because I don't think she left willingly.

I just read he had taken several polygraph tests and passed. It sounds like he was looked at seriously.

If I recall correctly, didn't Ed Edward's live behind the Concord House in a trailer style home? If so, maybe there were other undesirables living back there at the time. If there were people living back there and police talked with them in 1974, I wonder if a list of their names still exists. If so, maybe LE should look at that list again and check to see if any of them have sexual assault records of any kind since 1974. I would also check her classmates and their male dates at the prom too. Since 1974, maybe one of them has been arrested somewhere for sexual assault or something similar. Maybe LE has done this, but they should consider it if they haven't. Time can bring things out sometimes. JMO

I wonder if the staff of the Concord House were looked at? I bet they were, but I would double check them again to see if they have any arrest record since 1974.

I also noticed a pond on the property. I'm pretty sure they check it out though. I doubt they would overlook something so obvious.

Back in 1974, hitchhiking was very popular. Was it possible Cathy tried to go home by hitchhiking? It seems crazy to do something like that, especially dressed in a prom dress, but maybe she was impulsive and emotional at that moment. She did have a fight with her boyfriend. Just a thought.

What a heart breaking news article...all she wants is to bury her daughter. I truly hope answers come soon so she can do that. I would like to see the pressure turned on like they have in Deanie Peter's disappearance. That cold case and the community are really pushing hard, and it sounds like they're close to answers too!
I will try to look up other crimes in the area that have happened (minus any Jeffrey Dahmer activity) to see if there was a possibility of a different violent drifter who may have taken her. I still cant shake the thought that it could have been someone she knew that night though, I do believe everyone should be checked over again for any violent activity that has been accumulated over the years.

What a heart breaking news article...all she wants is to bury her daughter. I truly hope answers come soon so she can do that. I would like to see the pressure turned on like they have in Deanie Peter's disappearance. That cold case and the community are really pushing hard, and it sounds like they're close to answers too!
I will try to look up other crimes in the area that have happened (minus any Jeffrey Dahmer activity) to see if there was a possibility of a different violent drifter who may have taken her. I still cant shake the thought that it could have been someone she knew that night though, I do believe everyone should be checked over again for any violent activity that has been accumulated over the years.

In the last article I posted, there are several comments at the end of the article that allude to someone at the prom being responsible for Cathy's disappearance. The commenter seems like a local. If this commenter knows something, they need to be flushed out. Everyone who was at the prom are now in their 50s. Most have kids, so there should be a better understanding of how the Sjoberg family feels. Even if the info is only a rumor, sometimes there are truths to rumors. Maybe a billboard in the local area on Cathy's case and a reward may help. Even without a reward, the billboard could act as a constant reminder of her case on anyone who knows something. Who knows, maybe someone born after Cathy's disappearance overheard something in their own home or at work. You never know . . .

Another thing, I noticed that Cathy was last seen at 3 am. Seems very late to me. I'm surprised the Concord House stayed open that late. I wonder how late the prom ran? Could staff be waiting in the wings to clean up? Was the band packing up? Was there a band? Just some thoughts . . .

Another thought . . An article in the local paper about the disappearance being spotlighted on websleuths may help bring the locals HERE. Maybe someone will start talking on what they know. Can't hurt . . .

Does anyone know if she was wearing jewelry that night? It says it was her prom night...most girls would wear jewelry on their prom night.....but i see no mention of jewelry in her profile..?? If we can find out about that I think we might have a shot

Back in 1974, hitchhiking was very popular. Was it possible Cathy tried to go home by hitchhiking? It seems crazy to do something like that, especially dressed in a prom dress, but maybe she was impulsive and emotional at that moment. She did have a fight with her boyfriend. Just a thought.

Very good point. I wonder what the boyfriend's statement was and how angry she was to have totally left the prom or just to go outside? How far away was her home or the friend's house she was supposed to be staying at from the dance hall? Would she have tried to walk? The hitch hiking is a good point because that was common back then. It seems like they have ruled Edwards out, he wasn't even in the same state and surely they would have had to have gotten a really good alibi to believe someone like that with such a strong connection to that dance hall and criminal activities.

I saw this one from the killing fields..(Jane doe was found almost exactly a year after Catherine vanished). They have matching height and age and hair. They also look alike to me.
The Doe Network:
Case File 761UFTX

Unidentified White Female

•The victim was discovered on June 7, 1975 in Austin County, Texas
•Estimated Date of Death: 1-7 days prior
•Cause of Death: Asphyxia Due to Drowning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

•Estimated age: 15-25 years old. Dental age based on the development
of the third molars would be approximately 17 to 19 years.
•Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"; 110 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Sandy, straight, hair, 15" long;
Unknown eye color, although some agencies list brown eyes. Light complexion. Well-groomed.
Fingernails and toenails freshly manicured with dark, wine colored polish. Per the pathologist,
the nail polish was expensive to have stayed on the nails while the body was submerged for several
days and that the manicure and pedicure were most likely done by a professional.
•Scars, marks: 5 1/2" scar on upper left quadrant of abdomen
from splenectomy.
•Medical: Splenectomy (surgically missing spleen); at one time in her life
she may have been pregnant or had given birth;
gallbladder contains large gallstone.
•Clothing: None located.
•Jewelry: None located.
•Fingerprints: Available
•Dentals: Available. The 1975 dental chart states that a filling was present in tooth 31.
The case was exhumed and now there is no filling in tooth 31 but there is a well circumscribed occlusal defect.
Filling may have been lost.
•DNA: Pending

They would have had to travel far and fast to get to the killing fields from wisconsin in 2 days time. It's possible though. However it doesn't say anything about this body having a previously broken collarbone and that would be very apparent. I wonder if her family member could confirm if she has ever had a splenectomy? Or issues with gallstones?

Very good point. I wonder what the boyfriend's statement was and how angry she was to have totally left the prom or just to go outside? How far away was her home or the friend's house she was supposed to be staying at from the dance hall? Would she have tried to walk? The hitch hiking is a good point because that was common back then. It seems like they have ruled Edwards out, he wasn't even in the same state and surely they would have had to have gotten a really good alibi to believe someone like that with such a strong connection to that dance hall and criminal activities.

I think one way to help determine if she hitchhiked is if she did it before. Her friends may know if she had hitchhiked before. LE should ask many of her friends that question, because some may not have known if she did it or not.

JMO

IMO, another reason Ed Edwards may not have committed this crime is because her body or any personal affects have not been found. Seems like he didn't cover up his crimes thoroughly. He just tossed things off the road.

They would have had to travel far and fast to get to the killing fields from wisconsin in 2 days time. It's possible though. However it doesn't say anything about this body having a previously broken collarbone and that would be very apparent. I wonder if her family member could confirm if she has ever had a splenectomy? Or issues with gallstones?

this Jane doe was found 1 year after Catherine vanished, says she may have had a child--maybey she was pregnant and ran away--maybey her spleen was removed as a complication from the chidbirth--? it could all happen in 1 year but its a stretch--and your right there is no mention of a previously broken collar bone--so that does prob. exclude her

this Jane doe was found 1 year after Catherine vanished, says she may have had a child--maybey she was pregnant and ran away--maybey her spleen was removed as a complication from the chidbirth--? it could all happen in 1 year but its a stretch--and your right there is no mention of a previously broken collar bone--so that does prob. exclude her

Ohh I see it's June 7 of '75 not '74. Sorry for the oversight! Makes it more probable. But it sounds like her family thought she was taken. That would have to include any unhappiness, or evidence of the possibility of running away.

I saw this one from the killing fields..(Jane doe was found almost exactly a year after Catherine vanished). They have matching height and age and hair. They also look alike to me.
The Doe Network:
Case File 761UFTX

Unidentified White Female

•The victim was discovered on June 7, 1975 in Austin County, Texas
•Estimated Date of Death: 1-7 days prior
•Cause of Death: Asphyxia Due to Drowning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

•Estimated age: 15-25 years old. Dental age based on the development
of the third molars would be approximately 17 to 19 years.
•Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"; 110 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Sandy, straight, hair, 15" long;
Unknown eye color, although some agencies list brown eyes. Light complexion. Well-groomed.
Fingernails and toenails freshly manicured with dark, wine colored polish. Per the pathologist,
the nail polish was expensive to have stayed on the nails while the body was submerged for several
days and that the manicure and pedicure were most likely done by a professional.
•Scars, marks: 5 1/2" scar on upper left quadrant of abdomen
from splenectomy.
•Medical: Splenectomy (surgically missing spleen); at one time in her life
she may have been pregnant or had given birth;
gallbladder contains large gallstone.
•Clothing: None located.
•Jewelry: None located.
•Fingerprints: Available
•Dentals: Available. The 1975 dental chart states that a filling was present in tooth 31.
The case was exhumed and now there is no filling in tooth 31 but there is a well circumscribed occlusal defect.
Filling may have been lost.
•DNA: Pending

this jane doe is NOT catherine.. she was very recently ID I found this article:

Brazos River body found in 1975 identified
February 21, 2012 Filed under Region Posted by

This sketch helped forensic experts in Harris County identify a body found floating in the Brazos River in 1975 as Gloria Faye Stringer. The undated photo provided by the Austin County Justice of the Peace via the Houston Chronicle shows the likeness of Stringer to the sketch.
Associated Press
By Lise Olsen
Houston Chronicle

HOUSTON — The woman’s nude body was found floating in the muddy Brazos River in 1975, her features unrecognizable save for her flawlessly painted scarlet fingernails and flowing yellow hair.

But after 37 years, the 22-year-old mother has been identified by Harris County forensics experts as Gloria Faye Stringer, opening an investigation into her possible murder and inflaming the long-held suspicions of Austin County Justice of the Peace Dennis R. King, a man committed to the case for decades.

“The only thing worse than dying in a strange place is being lost at the same time and never finding your way home,” King said. “That was always the fear for me — that she had not been able to find her way home.”

Stringer had recently relocated to Texas City, leaving her 6-year-old son with grandparents in Tennessee, before vanishing in 1975.

<modsnip>

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...missing-mom-provides-one-piece-to-3343230.php
Be Sociable, Share!

Ohh I see it's June 7 of '75 not '74. Sorry for the oversight! Makes it more probable. But it sounds like her family thought she was taken. That would have to include any unhappiness, or evidence of the possibility of running away.

I think she would have changed out of the prom dress too, before taking off.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen
Back