AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 911 call in which people in the background can be heard screaming, "don't do it! Don't do it! Put the gun down!"?

I could see how someone in the heat of the moment could first cracterize this is a murder-suicide deal.
There had to be two distinctive female voices in the call, in order for LE to deduce and be confident that Jayme was at home at the time of murder. Both the mom and Jayme were talking or screaming, IMO.

If the door was kicked in/damaged by the perp, I am wondering if he (just using singular he here for ease of typing) had reason to believe it would be unlocked and had planned on having a surreptitious and easy entrance into the home. I know during Mollie's case, many in the town commented how it was so safe there, they just left their doors unlocked. I work in a small rural town that has the same sentiment.

Maybe this is common in Barron? Maybe the perp knew that and assumed they could enter easily OR if the perp is known to the family, perhaps he knew them to not always lock their door. But for whatever reason, it was locked that night (maybe if James was at work late, Denise would lock the door when home alone). If you had a plan that involved being able to access the home quickly and easily and it was not that way, I could see getting frustrated, wanting to carry out the plan and maybe going in kicking. That would make a lot of noise, so James came running and was shot.

All just my own theories and thinking out loud.

It's especially odd because, in the case of 15 year old Elizabeth Thomas, it was called an abduction from the very start, and she went with Cummings willingly.

With respect, friend, a 15 year old child who has been coerced by a fully grown, middle aged man, who took advantage of her loneliness and vulnerability as an abused, neglected and bullied child, and who was able to threaten and confuse her, indeed did NOT go "willingly" with the perpetrator.

They called it correctly. And they had direct evidence of the kidnapping.

The whole kicking in the door thing is really throwing me off. To me, that is an expression of anger acted out by someone who’s coming for you and they WANT you to know it and be scared. If this was just about Jayme, why not try to sneak in through a window, or take her while she’s outside one day? Why bust in and kill both of her parents first? I just can’t shake the feeling that this isn’t just about Jayme.
Right, because I think it was mentioned that her father owned guns, so the murderer here could easily have been killed himself rather instantly.

Maybe the perp(s) didn't even know Jayme was in the house. Could the phone have been located in a place that LE knew that it was not possible for Denise to make the call? Could Jayme have been hiding and been found by the perp(s) due to the light from the phone? Maybe panic set in and someone grabbed her and took off.

Both died of gunshot wounds. They didn’t know mom was dead in the house til a few mins later. So I assume this means two or more shots at / in dad
Would they assume it was suicide with two gunshot wounds? I'm thinking it was a bullet wound in the head that made them think that initially.

I looked into it several times/places, but I've not seen "casings" mentioned by the sheriff in a quote. I have seen media report it that way, seeming to ad lib from the dispatch log. And I don't doubt you, maybe he did say it. I do think it's safe to assume they were likely casings, not shells; I just haven't heard that come from Fitzgerald.
Here is a quote from reporting on the first day of this.
Sheriff's Office IDs 2 Found Dead in Barron County Home, Amber Alert Remains in Place for Missing Teen

Upon arrival, authorities found two adults who were pronounced dead at the scene. Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said, "casings were found, we discovered the father first and the mother after that." Authorities learned the couple's only child, 13-year-old Jayme Closs, was missing from the residence.

BBM.

Have we talked about the 911 call being so poor quality? Do we think it’s because the live phone was in a room far away from where the yelling was currently happening? And what would that mean? Or what else? I’ve thought a lot about this and am stumped.

Have we talked about the 911 call being so poor quality? Do we think it’s because the live phone was in a room far away from where the yelling was currently happening? And what would that mean? Or what else? I’ve thought a lot about this and am stumped.
My amateur speculation is that someone was hiding while making the call, or had already been shot and this was their last act of bravery.

The whole kicking in the door thing is really throwing me off. To me, that is an expression of anger acted out by someone who’s coming for you and they WANT you to know it and be scared. If this was just about Jayme, why not try to sneak in through a window, or take her while she’s outside one day? Why bust in and kill both of her parents first? I just can’t shake the feeling that this isn’t just about Jayme.
"Advised the door has been kicked in" in the 911 log may mean that the officer was documenting that he had gained the entry to the house. In fact, I believe that. I can see the officer kicking in the door since he cannot see what's behind the door. He needs to keep himself safe. MOO

I don’t own a gun, noises at my door at that time of night. 911. Let them deal with bear on porch. I would never open my door!

It would be nice if no one ever opened their door late at night or early in the morning but that simply is not the case

Many of the home invasions both in my state and across the country many of the victims did open the door even when it was pitch dark late at night or early morning.

Most of them showed no forced entry when the victims were found murdered inside or severely beaten.

Many people are still trusting. Millions of people don't belong to crime blogs or even watch the news much.

I do believe James could have opened the door if someone knocked late at night and whoever was standing there tried to force their way inside. Imo

He may have been able to shut the door back and then pushed against it with all of his strength trying to keep them out.

Imo that is when the suspect was able to kick the door open by splintering the area of the door jam where the door lock was located.

Jmo

My amateur speculation is that someone was hiding while making the call, or had already been shot and this was their last act of bravery.
I guess it’s possible the call dropped or the phone died. But do you think it more likely that the perp ended the call? Since the call was so short. Would help to know where it was found. And I know we already talked about maybe Denise hiding in bathroom.

W
My theory is that James is slightly taller than the window in the door and had to duck to look out. That would mean his legs were bent at the knees slightly when he was shot. His body would be forced backward at the head but his legs would still be slightly bent and end up against the door or the wall near the door. After the door was kicked in, James' feet would fall into the open doorway due to gravity. The door was only said to be ajar so his feet don't have to have been out the door very much. But we also do not know how far out the door his feet were. His feet could have been inches inside the threshold but still visible from outside and appearing in a way that someone approaching would describe him as "dead in the doorway". We just don't know exact positioning.
Did he have shoes on or bare feet?

With respect, friend, a 15 year old child who has been coerced by a fully grown, middle aged man, who took advantage of her loneliness and vulnerability as an abused, neglected and bullied child, and who was able to threaten and confuse her, indeed did NOT go "willingly" with the perpetrator.

They called it correctly. And they had direct evidence of the kidnapping.

I totally get that, Gitana, believe me, I do. I'm simply trying to draw attention to the fact that in Elizabeth's case it was called an abduction right from the start. I have never heard anyone call this case an abduction, just that Jayme is "missing". And I find that odd.

JMO

Wild speculation: what if perp was toying with cops and dialed 911 himself knowing he would be long gone by the time they ever arrived on scene? They could use that to taunt Jayme and police. Stranger things have happened I am sure. That may be why police won’t comment where phone found or who they think made the call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HairHawk