AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to imagine that if one owns guns, and they have someone kicking down the door or even knocking on the door at 1am on a Sunday night - why not take the gun with you to the door to protect yourself/your family, just in case?

I can think of some reasons. Primarily, we are creatures of habit who rely on past events to dictate our (present/future) actions. Two, firearms kept in a safe (which is recommended especially with kids in the house and no one home for a good part of the day) are not quickly/easily accessible.

And we don't really know if he opened the door, or merely stood on the inside of it asking who's there, etc.

Yes I get that, and I agree.. people may become or just be 'soft' in that regard, until something happens to affect them and they change their behavior. But in this case, someone was apparently kicking in the door, was at the door, and it was 1am on a Sunday night. That's the stuff of suspense films/horror flicks, and if one HAS guns, why wouldn't you grab one in a situation like that? It's not like it's 1pm in the afternoon.
My guess is it happened so quickly and/or it’s someone they were familiar with. JMO.

Ok.. so how was the call sent out to police by the dispatcher then? Just as a 'hangup'? But yet police arrived in what.... 4 minutes? What would have been the urgency for just a hangup?

Whoever made the 911 call asking for 'help' i presume?

WEAU NEWS 17 OCTOBER 2018:

Sheriff Fitzgerald says a 911 call came in around 1A.M. The call came from a cell phone inside the residence but it’s not known who made the call. “We could hear yelling in the background on this 911 call, not much information," said Fitzgerald.

He says the call lasted less than a minute and the only word that can be understood is “help”.

"Deputies arrived at that address a short time after the call ended to find no one around on the outside,” Sheriff Fitzgerald says as deputies approached the house, they saw the front door was open and there was a deceased male in that front door way. Officers later found a deceased female while searching the rest of the home.

Ok.. so how was the call sent out to police by the dispatcher then? Just as a 'hangup'? But yet police arrived in what.... 4 minutes? What would have been the urgency for just a hangup?

I hear you. I'm skeptical too.

3 officers dispatched to "a hang up with lots of yelling", on a Sunday night? And they arrive within seconds of each other? Possible, of course, but it does make me wonder.

Whoever made the 911 call asking for 'help' i presume?

WEAU NEWS 17 OCTOBER 2018:

Sheriff Fitzgerald says a 911 call came in around 1A.M. The call came from a cell phone inside the residence but it’s not known who made the call. “We could hear yelling in the background on this 911 call, not much information," said Fitzgerald.

He says the call lasted less than a minute and the only word that can be understood is “help”.

"Deputies arrived at that address a short time after the call ended to find no one around on the outside,” Sheriff Fitzgerald says as deputies approached the house, they saw the front door was open and there was a deceased male in that front door way. Officers later found a deceased female while searching the rest of the home.

3 officers dispatched to "a hang up with lots of yelling", on a Sunday night? And they arrive within seconds of each other? Possible, of course, but it does make me wonder.

Yes, even if a hangup call with muffled yelling in the background and the only audible thing to be heard is 'help', it still seems like a miraculously fast and multiple response to something that had no indication of being a life-or-death situation.

so if the 1st squad car arrived in 4 minutes by my calculations that puts him within a 4 mile radius of the crime scene. I'd like to know what he was doing there, cruising or on a call.
I was wondering same thing.. because.. we're talking 'on the outskirts of town', which others have described as being more out there than just on the outskirts.

Off Topic....a little....wanted to share....I just watched the movie "Eighth Grade" and thought is was well done. Story of a 13 year old girl who is ending the 8th grade. The actress (who was actually 13 at the time) was great and really showed what, I think, is a typical teen. One scene showed a mother talking to her daughter asking her daughter to invite the girl to a party on Facebook and the girl rolled her eyes and said no one uses Facebook anymore! Anyway, the movie shows all the kids using their cell phones for their connection to others. I never really understood what "snap chat" was until I looked it up today. The girl in the movie just reminded me of sweet Jayme.

Yes, even if a hangup call with muffled yelling in the background and the only audible thing to be heard is 'help', it still seems like a miraculously fast and multiple response to something that had no indication of being a life-or-death situation.

The thing is, they didn't know whether it was life or death or not. It's great that they had such a quick response time. I also can say that where I live, which is in Wisconsin, it is very, very common to have multiple squads respond to calls.

My guess is it happened so quickly and/or it’s someone they were familiar with. JMO.

It happened quickly, for sure. The NY Magazine had a "how to" story, and it said 80% of the time the door opens on the first kick. That would mean seconds that James had to react. The article also said DO NOT USE A SHOULDER because you could injure yourself. Always kick. The Closs house was older with a wood door, making entry easier. This guy knew what he was doing. How to Kick Open a Door

Where was Jayme's dog found in the home? From FB pics she has had it since it was a puppy...animals are protective of the owners, especially if they sense fear or feel threatened..could the perp (s) be familiar with the dog or maybe dog owners?

How/what? You still have to take the ammo out of the factory package, etc. I have several loaders but there is no way to load my ammo without coming into contact with it unless I wear gloves, etc.

IMO, if there is no discernible prints they were either degraded when fired and/or intentionally wiped clean/used gloves, etc.
Ive seen 9mm speedloaders filled straight from a box, but the most I could ever do at a time is 2. Lol. Theres also mag loaders that go right over one or two rows and lifts it right off the tray. There are also long tweezer type tools (no clue what they are called) intended to pick up a row. Theres probably more but those are ones I know of.

Hello everyone, just joined, first post.

I came to this forum looking for info, because there isn’t much in the news these days. I’ve read a lot of these threads, but nowhere near all. Came too late and couldn’t keep up. Hopefully it’s not all a repeat, but here’s my take on it:
I tend to think about these types of cases differently than most people, I go into it like I’m the one that did it (hope that’s not TOO weird). I know my crime from the headlines, why did I do it that way? Then, how did I do it? I’m not buying random drifter\drug user home invasion and Jayme was a target of opportunity. Those types of people are *usually* career criminals, and career criminals are usually turnips. Or that there was more than one person. Loose lips sink ships and all that. No, Jayme was the target of one guy. So, why did I do it this way? It’s been stated many times there are easier, less risky (or even willing) targets out there. So, that means I wanted a particular girl. Why the violent home invasion in the middle of the night? Well, that’s easy to me, I live in the same small town I grew up in. I could not abduct a kid walking home, waiting at the bus stop, hanging out at the gas station or anywhere else because everybody knows me. And my car, and can give you turn by turn directions to my house. There’s no way I don’t get caught. If I want this kid, I have to do it this way.

Now, how did I do it? Here’s the big assumption in my theory: I have to assume that since I got her and left no evidence or even any suspects, that my plan and execution was nearly flawless. I don’t believe the average root vegetable pulls this off with that much “luck”. I also believe the sheriff’s timeline is off. If I’m only in the house a few feet for a few minutes, then my plan has to include a way to get every member of the household within a few feet of the front door. In the middle of the night. As the victim, my wife might get up to see who is at the door with me, but I doubt it VERY much. And there’s no chance my daughter, that is about Jayme’s age, does. Zero. I also can’t believe they run into the room after I’m shot at the door. They would give me up for dead if there was a spider in the same room as me. Most people do not run towards unexpected gun fire, they run away, hide and call 911. Back to being the perp. I cannot come up with a single scenario that I can get them all to the door with enough frequency for me to plan for it. I can only come up with a couple, and neither fit with the facts of the case and present their own set of problems for me. The best one is, let’s say I come to your door in the middle of the night, kick it open and start yelling your name and to get everyone out because the house is on fire. Since you know me, you all come rushing out and as soon as everyone is in sight, I start shooting. That’s pretty risky, inducing panic in the victims makes them unpredictable. But, for the sheriff to be right on the timeline, they all had to be in the front room at 1:00 am for some reason. I highly doubt that I can shoot the parents, then locate a scared girl hiding somewhere in a house I’m probably not familiar with more than the “public” areas of (a lot of people know me and have been in my living room. None of them ((hopefully)) are familiar with my teenage daughter’s bedroom). WHILE leaving no evidence I went more than a couple steps into the house? Doing all that and being gone in a few minutes…? Very unlikely. Also, knowing small town cops on the night shift are probably the newest out of the academy and bored, just waiting for a call… The response time will be super fast. A S.E.A.L. Team probably doesn’t pull all of that off. Not the first time anyway.

I think the neighbor’s timeline is closer to being accurate. For that, I only have to get the parents into the front room. There’s a lot more possibilities for that to happen. Then, I have what, 25 minuets to search the house, locate and subdue Jayme, while being careful not to disturb anything. The only hiccup to my plan is, on the way out of the house Jayme gets free long enough to grab a phone and press three buttons, but I get her back under control and we are out the door before the operator calls back. That’s the only way this makes sense to me.

Now, here’s a few things I’d like to know that as far as I’ve read have not been released, but would help fill in some gaps:

1) What were James and Denise wearing?

2) Did James bring a weapon to the door?

These would let us know if they were expecting someone. Knock on my door after midnight, and I will have a bat\golf club\Glock 19 in one hand unless I know you AND am expecting you.

3) Exact location of the bodies. To me, “in the doorway” means within the swing radius of the door. That would mean the door was kicked in and then James moved into it (house fire scenario?).

4) How many shots were fired? There’s a big difference in the person that murders two people with two rounds, and the person that uses 52. However, I have to believe “multiple” means more than two. Anybody that shoots and reloads will tell you even a big, bright red 12 gauge hull can be impossible to find. An officer going up the steps probably isn’t going to see all the empties when he is focused on a potential armed assailant.

They may release something that changes my mind, but for now I believe she was targeted by someone that knew her and is known in town. I also believe they still have her close by. Why go through all that trouble just to kill her? I don’t see any danger of being caught as of right now, either. Plus, it’d be pretty risky dumping a body right now. Never know who will stop you to chat or see you where you shouldn’t be, based on being very familiar with small towns.
Sorry for the wall of text.

I questioned their timely arrival previously. I believe that the Barron County Sheriff's had just changed shifts and officers were just heading out for their shift. Their HQ if IIRC is within 10 miles of the Closs residence.

I know a woman whose husband went off the rails one night and started throwing things at her. She made it to the wall phone, punched in 911, but before she could say anything hubby ripped the phone off the wall. State police fortunately arrived within ten minutes and removed him in handcuffs never to return without LE presence. Similar rural setting.

Hello everyone, just joined, first post.
I agree the perp walks among them on a daily basis. He probably went to the funeral and search for Jaymee.
I came to this forum looking for info, because there isn’t much in the news these days. I’ve read a lot of these threads, but nowhere near all. Came too late and couldn’t keep up. Hopefully it’s not all a repeat, but here’s my take on it:
I tend to think about these types of cases differently than most people, I go into it like I’m the one that did it (hope that’s not TOO weird). I know my crime from the headlines, why did I do it that way? Then, how did I do it? I’m not buying random drifter\drug user home invasion and Jayme was a target of opportunity. Those types of people are *usually* career criminals, and career criminals are usually turnips. Or that there was more than one person. Loose lips sink ships and all that. No, Jayme was the target of one guy. So, why did I do it this way? It’s been stated many times there are easier, less risky (or even willing) targets out there. So, that means I wanted a particular girl. Why the violent home invasion in the middle of the night? Well, that’s easy to me, I live in the same small town I grew up in. I could not abduct a kid walking home, waiting at the bus stop, hanging out at the gas station or anywhere else because everybody knows me. And my car, and can give you turn by turn directions to my house. There’s no way I don’t get caught. If I want this kid, I have to do it this way.

Now, how did I do it? Here’s the big assumption in my theory: I have to assume that since I got her and left no evidence or even any suspects, that my plan and execution was nearly flawless. I don’t believe the average root vegetable pulls this off with that much “luck”. I also believe the sheriff’s timeline is off. If I’m only in the house a few feet for a few minutes, then my plan has to include a way to get every member of the household within a few feet of the front door. In the middle of the night. As the victim, my wife might get up to see who is at the door with me, but I doubt it VERY much. And there’s no chance my daughter, that is about Jayme’s age, does. Zero. I also can’t believe they run into the room after I’m shot at the door. They would give me up for dead if there was a spider in the same room as me. Most people do not run towards unexpected gun fire, they run away, hide and call 911. Back to being the perp. I cannot come up with a single scenario that I can get them all to the door with enough frequency for me to plan for it. I can only come up with a couple, and neither fit with the facts of the case and present their own set of problems for me. The best one is, let’s say I come to your door in the middle of the night, kick it open and start yelling your name and to get everyone out because the house is on fire. Since you know me, you all come rushing out and as soon as everyone is in sight, I start shooting. That’s pretty risky, inducing panic in the victims makes them unpredictable. But, for the sheriff to be right on the timeline, they all had to be in the front room at 1:00 am for some reason. I highly doubt that I can shoot the parents, then locate a scared girl hiding somewhere in a house I’m probably not familiar with more than the “public” areas of (a lot of people know me and have been in my living room. None of them ((hopefully)) are familiar with my teenage daughter’s bedroom). WHILE leaving no evidence I went more than a couple steps into the house? Doing all that and being gone in a few minutes…? Very unlikely. Also, knowing small town cops on the night shift are probably the newest out of the academy and bored, just waiting for a call… The response time will be super fast. A S.E.A.L. Team probably doesn’t pull all of that off. Not the first time anyway.

I think the neighbor’s timeline is closer to being accurate. For that, I only have to get the parents into the front room. There’s a lot more possibilities for that to happen. Then, I have what, 25 minuets to search the house, locate and subdue Jayme, while being careful not to disturb anything. The only hiccup to my plan is, on the way out of the house Jayme gets free long enough to grab a phone and press three buttons, but I get her back under control and we are out the door before the operator calls back. That’s the only way this makes sense to me.

Now, here’s a few things I’d like to know that as far as I’ve read have not been released, but would help fill in some gaps:

1) What were James and Denise wearing?

2) Did James bring a weapon to the door?

These would let us know if they were expecting someone. Knock on my door after midnight, and I will have a bat\golf club\Glock 19 in one hand unless I know you AND am expecting you.

3) Exact location of the bodies. To me, “in the doorway” means within the swing radius of the door. That would mean the door was kicked in and then James moved into it (house fire scenario?).

4) How many shots were fired? There’s a big difference in the person that murders two people with two rounds, and the person that uses 52. However, I have to believe “multiple” means more than two. Anybody that shoots and reloads will tell you even a big, bright red 12 gauge hull can be impossible to find. An officer going up the steps probably isn’t going to see all the empties when he is focused on a potential armed assailant.

They may release something that changes my mind, but for now I believe she was targeted by someone that knew her and is known in town. I also believe they still have her close by. Why go through all that trouble just to kill her? I don’t see any danger of being caught as of right now, either. Plus, it’d be pretty risky dumping a body right now. Never know who will stop you to chat or see you where you shouldn’t be, based on being very familiar with small towns.
Sorry for the wall of text.

Hard to imagine that if one owns guns, and they have someone kicking down the door or even knocking on the door at 1am on a Sunday night - why not take the gun with you to the door to protect yourself/your family, just in case?

You make great point ..hard to say..
That’s small house.. maybe James here’s door being kicked .. first thought Is investigate , check jayme., if sees door halfway kicked open.. push close and yell get the damn gun.. I think this plays out a lot different if At 9 pm and Closs aren’t sound sleep ..

I’d like to hear more thoughts/reasoning on the following:

1) who made 911 call
2) who hung up 911 call
3) who is heard on 911 call

On 1), I tend to think that Denise made the call, since it was her phone. Next most likely is Jayme, because Denise gave her the phone and told her to make it. I think it is least likely that the perp or James made the call.

On 2), I tend to think that the person who made the call was the one who hung up the call. Next most likely is the perp. Stated another way, I don’t think Jayme made the call but then Denise hung it up. I think if Jayme made the call, then either she or the perp hung it up.

On 3), this is where it gets tricky. I think based on the statements made by Fitz (call made it sound like phone was in one area but sounds on call were coming from another), it is unlikely that whomever made the call is the background noise heard on the call.

So the way this logically strings up for me is that Jayme makes and hangs up the call, and either her parents and/or the perp are the ones heard on it.

moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member