WI WI - Mary Ellen Kaldenberg, 17, Kenosha, 14 Feb 1967

The hearse had been there previously, how long I don't know. But I do know it had been there for a while, I believe it may have either had flat tires or maybe missing tires. don't know but it was already there prior to this maniac leaving HER there. What kind of person does something like this?! Leaving a poor stabbed to death young innocent girl in a hearse before her time. What do you think he was trying to say by choosing the hearse? What kind of fascination with the dead does this say? Sure wish we had the answers. Hell at this stage I will take a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Witnesses reported seeing a Nash Rambler near the scene.

Richard William Davis drove a Nash Rambler in the late 1960's. He spent time living in South Dakota during this time period, and was from the east coast (New York and Pennsylvania). Kenosha could have been right along his route from the east coast to South Dakota, or vice versa.

Davis is linked by DNA to the murder of Siobhan McGuinness in Montana - MT - MT - Siobhan McGuinness, 5, murdered, Missoula, 5 Feb 1974 *killer deceased*

And has drawn attention for the murder of Barbara Aleksivich in New York. NY - NY - Barbara Aleksivich, 24, Village of Bath, 3 Oct 1973

Here's more info on Davis from the FBI including vehicles and locations - OFFENDER (DECEASED) - RICHARD WILLIAM DAVIS — FBI

In 1967 my cousin Mary Ellen Kaldenberg was murdered in Kenosha, Wisconsin on approx. Feb 9th. She was found bruttaly stabbed on Feb 14, 1967 in an old abandoned hearst near the Rail Road tracks. She had walked from her home to the store (a short distance) & was to return back home quickly as she was meeting her boyfriend for a date. There have been numerous theories, to include serial killers & possible suspects however to date this case has gone unsolved. It seems to have been put to the bottom of the pile, due to lack of evidence. The police detectives have worked diligently for many years to solve this & still nobody has been brought to justice. It has been 44 years since her murder. Her mother went to her grave never knowing who killed her only daughter. I decided to reach out to the public & create an awareness about this case & with any luck & the help of God & his Angels just maybe we can find out who killed this innocent young girl. If the murderer of Mary Ellen is still alive & reading this please clear your conscience & confess because if you don't when you do die God is going to punish you worse then you could ever imagine the authorities will.

I reached out for you & please read this. Someone needs to call the Kenosha Police dept & have them contact the cold case team for the state of Wisconsin. They could find DNA on her clothes & solve it in one day. Who knows.

danielsst <danielsst@aol.com>
Mon 3/15/2021 9:18 AM
To:
  • You

I am the right person. I am the Chairman of the WAHI cold case team.
We can’t take referrals from anyone except the police agency in charge of the case. Our mandate does not allow
us to take cases other than that.
Have you discussed this with the police?
I am truly sorry that we can’t help at this time. If the Kenosha police request a review we will be able to assist.
Steve Daniels

WISCONSIN ASSOCIATION OF HOMICIDE INVESTIGATORS
COLD CASE REVIEW TEAM

Yes, I know!!!!!! How about that info. Since 1995 he has been posting on Ancestry.com that he is a writer looking for info on her murder. He has asked for pictures and also specifically looking for a friend of hers from the 60's. Then states he needs one more piece of information to finalize his research and he will reveal the killer. Interesting. The problem I have with this is then why hasn't he taken his information to the police, which I know for a fact he has not!!!!!!! If I already knew who the killer was I sure would pass that information over to the detectives. Oh and he states that he himself knew her, he says he was a good friend of her brother Eddie growing up. He is a local of Kenosha, WI Robert Crane if you have solved this PLEASE call the Kenosha, WI police dept & speak with Sgt Tappa or if you are still not ready to do that will you email me at tammyjolene@roadrunner.com & offer our family some hope.

danielsst <danielsst@aol.com>
Mon 3/15/2021 9:18 AM
To:
  • You

I am the right person. I am the Chairman of the WAHI cold case team.
We can’t take referrals from anyone except the police agency in charge of the case. Our mandate does not allow
us to take cases other than that.
Have you discussed this with the police?
I am truly sorry that we can’t help at this time. If the Kenosha police request a review we will be able to assist.
Steve Daniels

I found your email on
WISCONSIN ASSOCIATION OF HOMICIDE INVESTIGATORS
COLD CASE REVIEW TEAM

I apologize in advance for the disturbing and unpleasant information I am going to provide, but it could provide previously unknown physical/DNA evidence. It was mentioned in a previous post or article that the victim did not appear to have been sexually assaulted, however it is not uncommon for a sexual sadist who inflicts stab wounds on their victim to then have intercourse in the stab wounds that they've inflicted. In the event that her body is ever exhumed, I strongly recommend that her wounds be swabbed for possible semen/DNA evidence.

I truly hope that Kenosha PD continues to work to solve this case to bring peace to Mary Ellen's family. Prayers.

I agree with you. Plus there has to be DNA on her clothes or her shoes that were placed beside her body.

:rose: Mary Ellen is our featured cold case from 2/19 - 2/26/12 :rose:

Are there any pictures of her available? If someone posts one here, please PM me and I'll copy it to the front page.

:hug:

Attachments

• maryellen.jpg
    maryellen.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 18
I'm reposting this revised posting. I originally posted that this Robert D. Kramer was another one with the same name and birth year who had moved out of state. It's possible, but until I verify it, I can't state it as fact.

According to the May 9, 1967 issue of the Oshkosh Daily Northwestern, Police Chief J. Leo Buchmann said he would like to talk with Robert D. Kramer about the knife slaying of Mary Ellen Kaldenberg in Feb, 1967 in Kenosha, (Kenosha County) WI. Whether the police chief got that opportunity or not never made it to the newspapers that I could find.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h337/tangledweb55/robertkramer.jpg

According to Wisconsin Circuit Court Access, this same person, Robert D. Kramer, (DOB 06-26-1939) was sentenced for a 1st Degree Sexual Assault in Wood County, WI, Case Number 1982CF000116 on 01-01-1982 for a sexual assault back in 06-28-1962. News articles from his younger days show he was also busted twice for burglary with others in burglary rings in Wood County, WI.

Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

According to the Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry, Robert D. Kramer never registered as a sex offender, since,

SORT :: home

DNA technology was first introduced in criminal court cases around 1988. Since he hasn't registered as a sex offender and they weren't taking DNA in 1982 for his 1962 sexual assault (that I'm aware of), he probably hasn't submitted a sample of DNA, and, so, his DNA isn't in any database.

Since his DNA isn't in any database, then he's still a suspect in the Kaldenberg murder case.

The last newspaper article I could find on Kramer was the Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune, January 14, 1973, in which he was denied parole from Fox Lake Correctional Facility. The article stated he would again be up for parole review in 1974. He had been sentenced to 27 years for kidnapping and stabbing a Sussex, (Waukesha County) WI woman, but was up for parole in 1973. (for some reason that crime was never entered into the WCCA database. Also, some news articles incorrectly state he was sentenced to 72 years. They reversed the numbers)

Again, as stated above, we see he was convicted in 1981 or 1982 for a sexual assault that occurred about 20 years earlier on 06-28-1962 in Wood County, WI, about five years before the Kaldenburg murder. The Wisconsin Rapids Tribune reports he was married on June 17, 1961, so the sexual assault occurred about a year after the marriage.

The question is, where is he today and was there ever any attempt to get DNA from him in the Mary Ellen Kaldenberg murder, either through familial DNA or something as simple as legally collecting his garbage or waiting for him to spit on the sidewalk for DNA evidence? A good place to start would be Racine, WI because an online search shows the above-mentioned family member living there alone.
CeCe Moore - Genetic Genealogist
@CeCeMooreDNA · Public Figure
can work backwards if the police have DNA on Mary Ellen & find the killer.

Kramer is mentioned as a suspect in the news article(s). He was a construction worker. Personally, though, I don't think it was him. I think it was her coworker who skipped town right after the murder, had hunted by the bridge in the past and had family living just south of the 8 Mile Road Bridge on 7 Mile Road. Even a family member had talked to the MPD and the RCSD in March of 88 and said he was one of those involved.

Wood County Case Number 1982CF000116 State of Wisconsin vs. Robert D Kramer

I think that the RCSD in the Casberg case and the KPD in the Kaldenberg case should ask assistance from the DOJ, if possible, using familial DNA. That is, of course, if the cases meet all the criteria required by the DOJ.

Familial DNA Search | Wisconsin Department of Justice

Personally, though, I don't think Kramer was involved in the SMC murder. Possibly in the Kaldenberg murder. I think it was SMC's coworker who skipped town right after the murder, had hunted by the bridge in the past and had family living just south of the 8 Mile Road Bridge on 7 Mile Road. Even a family member had talked to the MPD and the RCSD in March of 88 and said he was one of those involved.

For instance, the SMC case has numerous items that could be tested for DNA; her purse and its contents, one torn photograph from an arcade photo booth, one pink blanket, pages from Milwaukee Sentinel newspapers, a white Sunkist cardboard box, a large brown paper bag, one brown slipper, one pendulum triangular bronze earring & possibly semen. One would think they had the foresight to keep blood and hair samples to test for drugs. Also unexplained is why a five inch long by one inch wide eye-shaped section of flesh was crudely cut out from the inner thigh of one of the victim's legs and down to the subcutaneous tissue. Torture or trophy? Or was the other missing earring the trophy? The victim's clothing also wasn't found at either dump site. Why dump the body but not the clothing, other than the one shoe?

Attachments

• robert kramer.jpg
    robert kramer.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 12
  • kramernoparole.jpg
    kramernoparole.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 11
  • kaldenbergsimilarities.png
    kaldenbergsimilarities.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 13
In 1967 my cousin Mary Ellen Kaldenberg was murdered in Kenosha, Wisconsin on approx. Feb 9th. She was found bruttaly stabbed on Feb 14, 1967 in an old abandoned hearst near the Rail Road tracks. She had walked from her home to the store (a short distance) & was to return back home quickly as she was meeting her boyfriend for a date. There have been numerous theories, to include serial killers & possible suspects however to date this case has gone unsolved. It seems to have been put to the bottom of the pile, due to lack of evidence. The police detectives have worked diligently for many years to solve this & still nobody has been brought to justice. It has been 44 years since her murder. Her mother went to her grave never knowing who killed her only daughter. I decided to reach out to the public & create an awareness about this case & with any luck & the help of God & his Angels just maybe we can find out who killed this innocent young girl. If the murderer of Mary Ellen is still alive & reading this please clear your conscience & confess because if you don't when you do die God is going to punish you worse then you could ever imagine the authorities will.

I am so sorry for your loss.
has there been an update on this case?
I am new to this site and was looking at a couple of cold cases in Kenosha and this one just spoke to me. No one has said if she was raped or was there a rape kit? With cement blockbacross her stomach and was that an indication of her being pregnant.

The only write up I've ever seen about this case is in a book called "Getting Away With Murder" 57 Unsolved Murders - by Edward Baumann and John O'Brien.

She was fully dressed and was murdered in the back of the hearse. this junkyard where the hearse was located was about a mile from where she was going and locked up, they think they might have had to come in under the fence.

A lot of blood with the stabbing, they possibly cut themselves, the question is do they still have all that evidence and did they take blood evidence, which might give them the DNA. Best chance would probably be on that piece of concrete, as I doubt they still have the hearse.

Mary Ellen Kaldenberg, 17, and site of her murder in Kenosha, WI

Mary Ellen Kaldenberg left home (2007 64th Street) at approximately 8:30 PM on February 9, 1967 to go to a local drug store. On February 13, 1967, her body was discovered in a junked vehicle in the area of 3701 65th Street. She was seventeen years old and died as a result of multiple stab wounds. At that time, this area was a junked-vehicle storage lot on the property of the Water Department. If you have any information please call the Kenosha Police Department’s Detective Bureau at 262-605-5203 or Kenosha Area Crime Stoppers at 262-656-7333

LINK:

The pharmacy that Kaldenberg was going to was Bernacchi's Uptown Pharmacy at 6224 22nd Avenue, not Hub Pharmacy, which was at 6300 22nd Ave. Employee's there said they never saw her that Thursday night and she never came into the store. Bernacchi's Uptown is now a vacant lot.

In addition to the 12 stab wounds, she had been slashed six times in the neck, once in the back and four times in the body. One of the neck wounds had cut the jugular vein and may have caused death. Two of the 12 body wounds, one under each breast, could also have caused death since the tip of the knife blade penetrated the heart. The wounds were probably caused by a hunting knife.

Article excerpt from Kenosha News Kenosha, Wisconsin · Wednesday, August 10, 1977, page 17.

kaldenbergbodyfound.jpg.pngbernacchisuptowndrugstore.jpgKaldenberg direction of travel.jpg

Kramer is mentioned as a suspect in the news article(s). He was a construction worker. Personally, though, I don't think it was him. I think it was her coworker who skipped town right after the murder, had hunted by the bridge in the past and had family living just south of the 8 Mile Road Bridge on 7 Mile Road. Even a family member had talked to the MPD and the RCSD in March of 88 and said he was one of those involved.

Wood County Case Number 1982CF000116 State of Wisconsin vs. Robert D Kramer

I think that the RCSD in the Casberg case and the KPD in the Kaldenberg case should ask assistance from the DOJ, if possible, using familial DNA. That is, of course, if the cases meet all the criteria required by the DOJ.

Familial DNA Search | Wisconsin Department of Justice

Personally, though, I don't think Kramer was involved in the SMC murder. Possibly in the Kaldenberg murder. I think it was SMC's coworker who skipped town right after the murder, had hunted by the bridge in the past and had family living just south of the 8 Mile Road Bridge on 7 Mile Road. Even a family member had talked to the MPD and the RCSD in March of 88 and said he was one of those involved.

For instance, the SMC case has numerous items that could be tested for DNA; her purse and its contents, one torn photograph from an arcade photo booth, one pink blanket, pages from Milwaukee Sentinel newspapers, a white Sunkist cardboard box, a large brown paper bag, one brown slipper, one pendulum triangular bronze earring & possibly semen. One would think they had the foresight to keep blood and hair samples to test for drugs. Also unexplained is why a five inch long by one inch wide eye-shaped section of flesh was crudely cut out from the inner thigh of one of the victim's legs and down to the subcutaneous tissue. Torture or trophy? Or was the other missing earring the trophy? The victim's clothing also wasn't found at either dump site. Why dump the body but not the clothing, other than the one shoe?
Is Robert Kramer the one that was from Racine related to a bill Kramer?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny
Back