Identified! WI - Racine Co., WhtFem 199UFWI, 14-25, cauliflower ear, western shirt, July'99 - Peggy Lynn Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much like caledonia doe, my feeling is that she was murdered by family. There is no indication that there was a serial killer. I wonder why they think she was mentally disabled though.

Her ears are set low. This is a trait that is indicative of any number of genetic conditions that affect cognitive functional levels.

I swear I almost had a heart attack when I read the email notification. I went to the news story 1st but didn't understand what was going on. It's one of those days... Teleka Patrick was probably found; I was told an old friend had a massive stroke; had just finished reading that when the notification came in.

Praying they get a break in the case.

Well, it's funny you should mention that, because although this Jane Doe was tentatively linked to the murder that Jason Strong was convicted of--body found in state park land in Waukegan, not far south of the Wisconsin border, and only about half a year later--the conviction in that murder, of Mary Kay Sundelin, troubles some.

Jason Strong was connected to the murder of Mary Kay Sundelin by a fellow named Jeremy Tweedy, who claimed that Strong had picked up Sundelin along the highway, and with a friend, Jason Johnson, had disrobed her and tied her to a bed (which Tweedy said she permitted), then tortured her in the motel room in which he lived, and beat her with a booze bottle. Tweedy claimed that he'd left after he witnessed this, returning several hours later, to find Strong and his pal carrying the body to his vehicle, to get rid of it. He'd helped them carry the body (why you'd need someone to help 2 other people when she was so tiny, we don't know) to the vehicle and gone for the ride, but got out before they disposed of her in the forest. He was sentenced to 2 years for his part in abetting the crime of disposal, and for covering up evidence.

Two of these guys worked in an 'adult book store' near a strip club on I-94. Tweedy told some version of his story, which had many versions, to a policewoman posing as a prostitute outside of this strip club. He apparently told a lot of versions of his tale to investigators. After these guys were put away, though, other information surfaced. After Sunderlin disappeared, but before her body was identified, her family hired a private investigator to see if they could find her. She was a dependent adult with mental challenges, and her parents and siblings were legal guardians. Unbeknownst to them, she had married a guy with a criminal record, who was also mentally challenged. How that could occur without permission of her guardians, assuming that thy were guardians in the legal sense, I don't understand. The PI also discovered that certain caretakers, a woman and her daughter, had accessed Sunderlin's accounts through her ATM card, withdrawing several hundred dollars just before she went missing. Someone posing as her sister attempted to get a replacement card for her account after she went missing, but failed. The mother died in 2005, and the sister refused to speak to the Chicago Tribune when they wrote a piece criticizing police for not re-opening their investigation in light of the PI's information and Jason Strong's attempt to get a new trial on that basis, and because he claimed that his confession had been coerced. The court ruled against a new trial, at any rate, even though Tweedy's many versions of the events were very leaky.

It was on the basis of Strong's supposedly coerced confession that it was determined that his motive for killing Sunderlin was that he had caught her rifling through his possessions after taking her to his motel room. Somehow, it was established, though, that the shirt she was found wearing belonged to Strong. Strong's counsel did not dispute that she'd been killed in Sunderlin's room, but offered the strange defense that Sunderlin had gone into his bathroom while the deceased was partying there, and re-emerged to find her dead at the hands of Johnson and Tweedy.

In both cases, the deceased had been tortured and was found to be malnourished, but in the case of Racine County Jane Doe, the abuse was thought to have occurred over the period of 2-4 weeks, which would have been hard to conceal in a motel room, one would think. The two disposal sites are about 30 miles apart, both close to I-94/41. In both cases, the victims were found wearing men's clothes.

I'll not disparage the police work of the undercover officer who got Tweedy's initial story, but I will point out that it was great good luck to have gotten a random someone to volunteer information outside of Baby Dolls strip club, and I agree with the Tribune writer that justice might have been better served by re-opening this investigation to get more information regarding the various parties connected with Sunderlin, particularly as they might have shed light on what happened to Racine County Jane Doe. I'd like to know, for example, just what the relation was that put the mother and daughter in some caretaker capacity for Sunderlin. Were they contracted through local social services? Did they have background checks? What actual forensic evidence linked Sunderlin with Strong, Johnson and Tweedy?

After reading this post and watching the news the last few days, I started to wonder... There is going to be a news conference at 11AM (central time) today to announce the name of the person arrested in the Amber Gail Creek murder in 1997 (http://fox6now.com/2014/04/08/new-details-expected-tuesday-in-1997-slaying-of-amber-creek/). The person arrested is a 36 year old Illinois man. That is the same age as Jeremy Tweedy. I am so curious to find out if that is the person that has been arrested. And if it could possibly lead to identifying the killer of Jane Doe. I have lived in Racine County my entire life and most of that in the Town of Raymond (was living there at the time of Jane Doe's murder), so I am very interested in what happens with this.

ETA: It was not Jeremy Tweedy that was arrested in Amber Creek's murder. It was James Eaton. (http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=9495921). I still wonder if there is a connection between Amber and Jane Doe.

After reading this post and watching the news the last few days, I started to wonder... There is going to be a news conference at 11AM (central time) today to announce the name of the person arrested in the Amber Gail Creek murder in 1997 (http://fox6now.com/2014/04/08/new-details-expected-tuesday-in-1997-slaying-of-amber-creek/). The person arrested is a 36 year old Illinois man. That is the same age as Jeremy Tweedy. I am so curious to find out if that is the person that has been arrested. And if it could possibly lead to identifying the killer of Jane Doe. I have lived in Racine County my entire life and most of that in the Town of Raymond (was living there at the time of Jane Doe's murder), so I am very interested in what happens with this.

I was on the east side of 1-94 within spitting distance of Raymond when this UID was found and two years prior when Amber was found in Burlington. I went on the other major Milwaukee TV stations websites and they have the story up as well.

http://www.cbs58.com/
http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/news
http://www.wisn.com/

WISN 12 says "James P. Eaton, 36 of Palatine, Ill." is the man who was arrested and "investigators then gathered physical evidence from Eaton and the state crime lab reported that Eaton's DNA was a match for DNA found on the plastic bag."

*Now will see if anything comes out regarding this UID**

Read more: http://www.wisn.com/news/racine-officials-make-arrest-in-1997-cold-case/25356174#ixzz2yJRHE8TC

Does anybody know about "meth teeth" and how quickly it happens? I know dentists say it is awful on teeth when someone has used meth. Maybe that could account for teeth going from good to horrible in a year's time. (don't mean to imply this Jane Doe was using meth. I am just brainstorming. Their facial features look so much alike!)

I think meth mouth has some identifying characteristics. I would *think* it would have been mentioned.

Those reading probably do not understand my comment. You had already edited your post by the time I got here to reply.

This is your original post; saying she was identified as Amber Creek. I started reading; saw the date; saw how she was ID'd a year later. I looked at the pic of Amber with dark hair & thought it looked like our JD.

If the case is connected; I think they would have known that by now since they have his DNA

DrDMike has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - WI WI - Raymond (Racine County) - WhtFem 199UFWI, 14-25, July'99 *Graphic* - in the The Unidentified forum of Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community.

Here is the message that has just been posted:
She's been identified as Amber Gail Creek.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...rder-racine-palatine-20140406,0,5806042.story

Those reading probably do not understand my comment. You had already edited your post by the time I got here to reply.

This is your original post; saying she was identified as Amber Creek. I started reading; saw the date; saw how she was ID'd a year later. I looked at the pic of Amber with dark hair & thought it looked like our JD.

If the case is connected; I think they would have known that by now since they have his DNA

DrDMike has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - WI WI - Raymond (Racine County) - WhtFem 199UFWI, 14-25, July'99 *Graphic* - in the The Unidentified forum of Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community.

Here is the message that has just been posted:
She's been identified as Amber Gail Creek.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...rder-racine-palatine-20140406,0,5806042.story

That was an error on my end. The headline said that they had solved a cold case involving a murder of a young teen in Racine. The story I read actually had the composite of Racine Jane Doe, hence the confusion. I know they dug up RJD and I thought LE got their break.

That was an error on my end. The headline said that they had solved a cold case involving a murder of a young teen in Racine. The story I read actually had the composite of Racine Jane Doe, hence the confusion. I know they dug up RJD and I thought LE got their break.

Thanks; I understand now. The one pic of Amber looks like RJD.

*WARNING* Graphic Image.

~~

What determines who they rule out? They have ruled out females that look nothing like her; example:with Blonde hair/ blue eyes. I don't get it.
I submitted Doreen Vincent some months ago.

The only thing I can think of is that Doreen had a small mole on her abdomen, yet if RJD was abused in that area , maybe it was over looked. At any rate, why not officially rule her out? Doreen is not on the Ruled out list at NamUs.

I don't really worry about the age she "was" or location she is missing from, as anything can happen. People have been found alive/deceased many states/years away from where they originated, in other cases.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/v/vincent_doreen.html

f58zeo.png

The nose is exact, especially note the shadow on the <- side, the chin, also the -> eye appears slightly narrower (less "open") on both . The face shape, I see more similarities than differences. I just wish they would rule her out at the very least.

*WARNING* Graphic Image.
What determines who they rule out? They have ruled out females that look nothing like her; example:with Blonde hair/ blue eyes. I don't get it.
I submitted Doreen Vincent some months ago.

The only thing I can think of is that Doreen had a small mole on her abdomen, yet if RJD was abused in that area , maybe it was over looked. At any rate, why not officially rule her out? Doreen is not on the Ruled out list at NamUs.

I don't really worry about the age she "was" or location she is missing from, as anything can happen. People have been found alive/deceased many states/years away from where they originated, in other cases.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/v/vincent_doreen.html

The nose is exact, especially note the shadow on the <- side, the chin, also the -> eye appears slightly narrower (less "open") on both . The face shape, I see more similarities than differences. I just wish they would rule her out at the very least.

Resubmit her; ask that if she's not a match she be added to the rule out list.
Wish we knew more about the last testing they did on Racine JD
Doreen Vincent NamUs - has dentals & DNA

The case manager can set parameters for the computer to generate a list, and computer makes suggestions based on those parameters.

The case manager then goes through the list and rules them out, and those rule-outs go on the exclusions list. The computer doesn't care whether or not the MP looks like the UID. It gives them a list based on the parameters they specify.

Thanks for that info. Given that ,the height may be the issue. A 12 year old girl can easily grow 3-4 inches over an 11-12 year period. IMO

Thanks for that info. Given that ,the height may be the issue. A 12 year old girl can easily grow 3-4 inches over an 11-12 year period. IMO
Or altogether stop growing at age eleven. I remember how back in fifth grade I was towering over everybody in my class at 5'6" including my male teacher who was actually less than five feet tall. I never grew in height after age eleven for some reason. JMO and :twocents:

How does the Doe network do things? I submitted my match for RJD re : Doreen Vincent.
This was their reply:

I checked our database and this is already been submitted.

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Rocky Wells
Potential Match Database Administrator
Area Director Of Ohio/Florida, Doe Network
"International Center For Unidentified And Missing Persons

Perhaps I should just resubmit to the Investigator that I had originally submitted her to?

I read in a way back post (on this thread) that the Doe Network told someone they did not feel she was Doreen , and that they felt she was foreign due to the bad condition of her teeth.
What I want is a DNA comparison/rule out. Or am I being unrealistic?
An opinion is easy to come by, we all have those, but they prove nothing.
:banghead:

How does the Doe network do things? I submitted my match for RJD re : Doreen Vincent.
This was their reply:

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Rocky Wells

Perhaps I should just resubmit to the Investigator that I had originally submitted her to?

I read in a way back post (on this thread) that the Doe Network told someone they did not feel she was Doreen , and that they felt she was foreign due to the bad condition of her teeth.

I have submitted matches through the Doe Network. If they say it already has been submitted that means some one already submitted the possible match before you did. Of all my submissions to the Doe Network, I have had no matches yet; but I have noted exclusions to some of the UIDs I matched to Missing Persons.

With CODIS, once DNA is entered for a MP, it is matched against all UIDs DNA in NAMUS.
The same is true for a UID, once entered into CODIS it is matched against all MPs DNA in NAMUS.

A match is called a Cold Hit.

As far as manual DNA comparison--that is up to Law Enforcement not the public. If LE finds a UID with teeth in good to excellent condition, it will immediately rule out a MP with cavities and dentures.

Conversely if a UID is found with teeth in bad condition it will not rule a MP with teeth in perfect condition. It could still be a match. Teeth can decay quickly. Then DNA or possibly fingerprint comparisons come to play. A manual verification and comparison is needed. Manual DNA comparisons can take months even years.

As far as dealing Law Enforcement, in my experience if it is passed once they will keep it in mind and act on it. It is up to LE to add the MP to the rule out list of a UID.

Thank you , it makes a bit more sense now. I just have a feeling she is like a Michelle Knight in that she maybe went off the grid as an adult. So sad.

This was their reply:

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Rocky Wells

Possible they checked dentals at one point.
I'm not fully awake & have not done many submissions does anyone know if Rocky is also with NamUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms