Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

I hope someone has Will on suicide watch after today's expulsion. Seriously.

All these years he has a wife who tells the world over and over that she did not want to marry Will but she was pregnant and her mother told her she had to. That her relationship with Tupac was a one of a kind connection she will only experience once in a lifetime, that it's been a long, long time since she felt good with Will and she just wants to feel good and that's why she turned to a 22 year old boy. She babbles this nonsense constantly.

But to balance out all that negativity and lack of validation, he had the admiration of fellow actors, comedians, fans, the Academy to give him some kind of sense of self-worth. That is now gone. He was soundly rejected by them today, too.

What does he have left? In his own words, their marriage is "the most difficult, grueling, excruciating thing that we have ever taken on in our lives." That's what he has left after today. More of that.

I worry for the man. jmo

Like all of us, one impulsive moment can have repercussions that ruin the rest of our lives.

I think he may have been able to somewhat salvage what he did, if he had IMMEDIATELY apologized publicly to Chris, and he had not gone on to party with his Oscar afterward like it was just an altogether glorious night for him. Also if he had not followed the slap by twice verbally abusing Chris Rock for the whole world to hear.

As it is, I can agree that he may be so emotionally overwhelmed now that he could possibly self-harm. I certainly don't wish that on anybody.

I think, though, that he will still retain his fans, at least those who skew younger. He will still be rich. Still have his children. Something to live for, after all.

I said awhile ago that IMO the Oscar will now be a scarlet letter, so that will cause him pain instead of joy. His fans would still see his movies but I don't think any studios will be rushing to hire him, and some of his projects are already on hiatus.

I think the best things he could do to move forward would be to 1) leave Jada and 2) do some community anti-violence work. He could be a useful voice there.

IMO

All these years he has a wife who tells the world over and over that she did not want to marry Will but she was pregnant and her mother told her she had to. That her relationship with Tupac was a one of a kind connection she will only experience once in a lifetime, that it's been a long, long time since she felt good with Will and she just wants to feel good and that's why she turned to a 22 year old boy. She babbles this nonsense constantly.

But to balance out all that negativity and lack of validation, he had the admiration of fellow actors, comedians, fans, the Academy to give him some kind of sense of self-worth. That is now gone. He was soundly rejected by them today, too.

What does he have left? In his own words, their marriage is "the most difficult, grueling, excruciating thing that we have ever taken on in our lives." That's what he has left after today. More of that.

I worry for the man. jmo

That’s really a good point, @CharlestonGal. I had no idea about all this stuff with JPS. That really confirms my thinking that the slap was to please Jada who was looking daggers after he laughed at the joke. I truly hope he will realize that he still has a lot to live for, even if it will be different now.

The issue is kind of moot at this point. Even if he keeps it he can't display it with pride or show it off. It's just a cringy symbol of the lowest point of his career which is all he or anyone else will remember when they see it. It's irrevocably tainted. By his own actions.

When people see that statue they are not going to think King Richard. They are going to think Will Smith Slapped Chris Rock On The World Stage. Why bother keeping it?

IMO

Having the Oscar in his possession must feel like having his custom dream car but not being able to ever drive it and a dream home he can’t show off or live in.

Its a shame-statue now so there is some poetic justice to him being allowed to keep it.

I worry for the man. jmo
I don’t worry for him. He has so, so many resources to get help. Lots more than most people. He could divorce her.

That’s really a good point, @CharlestonGal. I had no idea about all this stuff with JPS. That really confirms my thinking that the slap was to please Jada who was looking daggers after he laughed at the joke. I truly hope he will realize that he still has a lot to live for, even if it will be different now.
You're not alone. Most of the world doesn't watch Jada's show or Oprah and had no idea of the mess of Will Smith's marriage. But now, in an effort to "defend his wife's honor", the entire world is talking about their dysfunction. Talk about something backfiring on you in a major way.

But, who knows? Maybe they get a thrill from being the talk of the world. Even if it's bad. As strange as it is, there are people in the world that need that much attention. jmo

I really hate to say this, but I'm afraid the Academy response is being called, "The Slap on the Wrist Heard Round the World." In trying to catch up with news tonight, I noticed that industry sites reflected a lot of support for WS. The Celebitchy clip below is a good example: CAA 'leaked' info that they might drop WS as a client.

Everybody knew they'd do nothing of the kind, as the clip says, WS has made a lot of people a lot of money, and during the past year as he campaigned for his Oscar, there were certainly deals made along the way.

There might be talk now that his projects are on hold, but again the article notes that he wasn't really booked for much right now. And we all know how easy it is to quietly re-start projects when the time is right. So this way, CAA appears to be going along with the 'viewing public' which is right now very anti-WS. But they in fact support their money-making client.

There was one site, Blind Gossip, that posted another point of view: from a comedian who is worried about the message AMPAS is sending:
"This whole Will Smith/Chris Rock situation has really shaken him up. He says, “If AMPAS doesn’t take back Will’s Oscar, it’s basically open season on comedians.” He says that this is a turning point for comedy.

“If AMPAS doesn’t do the right thing, they will have just created unsafe working conditions for every comedian in the country. Will Smith and AMPAS might just kill comedy.”
The name will be revealed later, but Jim Carrey has said this publicly and other A-list comics are saying it privately.

In any case, after browsing sites like Dlisted, MTO, Gawker, Perez Hilton, etc. I'm pretty burned out on the industry right now. It's sad to see the decline of the one-time Entertainment Capital of the World.

Cele|bitchy | CAA apparently considered dumping Will Smith in the wake of the Oscar Slap

I’m ok with not taking his Oscar. It was determined before the incident and based on performance, not personal behavior. He shouldn’t have been allowed to stay and receive it though, and the Academy is acknowledging that. It might not seem like a big deal to ban him from Academy events, but it is in a symbolic way. He’s unwanted and will be shunned, which isn’t really a good way to secure future projects in Hollywood. If he’s not a sure thing to make people lots of money, they’ll choose to work with someone less iffy and controversial.

I could care less if he keeps his Oscar .. but being banned from attending an Academy event, while still being allowed to be nominated and possibly win another award in the next couple of years just makes no sense to me.

Then again, I don't think there is anything they could have done (this late in the game) that would make any of them look any better.

I really hate to say this, but I'm afraid the Academy response is being called, "The Slap on the Wrist Heard Round the World." In trying to catch up with news tonight, I noticed that industry sites reflected a lot of support for WS. The Celebitchy clip below is a good example: CAA 'leaked' info that they might drop WS as a client.

Everybody knew they'd do nothing of the kind, as the clip says, WS has made a lot of people a lot of money, and during the past year as he campaigned for his Oscar, there were certainly deals made along the way.

There might be talk now that his projects are on hold, but again the article notes that he wasn't really booked for much right now. And we all know how easy it is to quietly re-start projects when the time is right. So this way, CAA appears to be going along with the 'viewing public' which is right now very anti-WS. But they in fact support their money-making client.

There was one site, Blind Gossip, that posted another point of view: from a comedian who is worried about the message AMPAS is sending:
"This whole Will Smith/Chris Rock situation has really shaken him up. He says, “If AMPAS doesn’t take back Will’s Oscar, it’s basically open season on comedians.” He says that this is a turning point for comedy.

“If AMPAS doesn’t do the right thing, they will have just created unsafe working conditions for every comedian in the country. Will Smith and AMPAS might just kill comedy.”
The name will be revealed later, but Jim Carrey has said this publicly and other A-list comics are saying it privately.

In any case, after browsing sites like Dlisted, MTO, Gawker, Perez Hilton, etc. I'm pretty burned out on the industry right now. It's sad to see the decline of the one-time Entertainment Capital of the World.

Cele|bitchy | CAA apparently considered dumping Will Smith in the wake of the Oscar Slap

Maybe that attorney that CR has retained will slap more then the wrist of both WS and AMPAS

Well, I guess even if he's nominated, and wins, he'll be accepting that award from his time-out couch.

ETA: oops....he can't even attend from the time-out couch:

"The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards," the organization said in a statement Friday following a hearing to discuss Smith slapping comedian Chris Rock at the Oscars."

In other words, they don't want so much as to see his face, in any context, for the next 10 years.

Will Smith blocked from Academy events for 10 years after Oscars slap

Good. I think it’s fair. And as you posted upthread, he ruined his shining moment. A time he should have been celebrating, is shadowed by his criminal act and subsequent arrogance. He did that. No one else.

The one thing I really wish would happen but won’t, is for him to actually take accountability, put himself in CR’s shoes and stop trying to play the victim. He has no right to be “heartbroken.” That a word you use when someone has done something to you or you’ve lost someone. Not when you’ve done something wrong to someone else.

Maybe that attorney that CR has retained will slap more then the wrist of both WS and AMPAS

Chris has retained an attorney? I can imagine how mortified he has been feeling. That was a humiliating thing to have experienced.

WS deserves to be sued. He NEVER directly apologized to CR. He gave some half-assed public statement in which he stated he was “heartbroken” and justified what he did by saying seeing his wife mocked for her illness was too much for him to bear.

This youtube was posted here a week ago or so. It's very insightful specifically about JPS's "alopecia". Dr. Linkov is a double board certified dermatologist specializing in facial plastic surgery and hair restoration. He has alopecia himself. His comments about JPS begin at 10:22.

I found his comments especially interesting about the linear scarring she displays in a previous video. ( at 11:04 of his video)

While she certainly may have a lack of hair growth beyond what is clearly a full head of stubble (Google Jada Pinkett Smith Oscars photos) which Dr. Linkov explains could be due to a type of alopecia called "hair miniaturization", she sure doesn't look bald to me.

I think the lady doth protest too much. But she sure brought a lot of attention to herself, at a time when her husband was arguably at the height of his career.

SMH

JMO MOO YMMV

This youtube was posted here a week ago or so. It's very insightful specifically about JPS's "alopecia". Dr. Linkov is a double board certified dermatologist specializing in facial plastic surgery and hair restoration. He has alopecia himself. His comments about JPS begin at 10:22.

I found his comments especially interesting about the linear scarring she displays in a previous video. ( at 11:04 of his video)

While she certainly may have a lack of hair growth beyond what is clearly a full head of stubble (Google Jada Pinkett Smith Oscars photos) which Dr. Linkov explains could be due to a type of alopecia called "hair miniaturization", she sure doesn't look bald to me.

I think the lady doth protest too much. But she sure brought a lot of attention to herself, at a time when her husband was arguably at the height of his career.

SMH

JMO MOO YMMV
I recall her saying that she had had all kinds of tests and was not diagnosed with anything. She does not have alopecia areata (the autoimmune one) which is diagnosed by examining the follicles under a microscope. They have a distinctive, distorted shape. Yet Jada says the doctors found nothing. I think she is letting people believe and say she has an autoimmune disorder, but she herself never says this.

"The main symptom of alopecia areata is hair loss that occurs in small, round patches on your head. This leaves smooth, peach-colored areas of scalp exposed. A mild case of alopecia areata starts with one to two coin-size hairless patches. In many instances, it stops after that. Sometimes, the hair will grow back. However, there’s no guarantee. The condition is unpredictable, and the cycle of hair loss and regrowth can repeat itself."

"Your doctor may pull a couple of hairs from your head to examine under a microscope. If your doctor can’t confirm a diagnosis, he may send you to a lab for a test. They will scrape a small sample of skin from your scalp and look at it under a microscope. This can help them rule out other conditions that cause hair loss. You may also have a blood test to look for other autoimmune diseases."

Alopecia Areata (AA) - Alopecia Areata Symptoms - familydoctor.org

This is alopecia areata:
upload_2022-4-9_13-53-7.png
Alopecia areata: Causes, symptoms, and treatment

It's a little awkward that Will Smith just trashed his career for an autoimmune disorder that Jada has said herself she doesn't have.

"In spite of taking "every type of test," she said doctors did not know why she was losing her hair."

Jada Pinkett Smith Says This Was Her First Sign of Alopecia — Best Life

jmo

I could care less if he keeps his Oscar .. but being banned from attending an Academy event, while still being allowed to be nominated and possibly win another award in the next couple of years just makes no sense to me.

Then again, I don't think there is anything they could have done (this late in the game) that would make any of them look any better.
I would prefer to also see him banned from being nominated for ten years. He’s a big bully and needs a long time out from everything Oscar. JMO

I recall her saying that she had had all kinds of tests and was not diagnosed with anything. She does not have alopecia areata (the autoimmune one) which is diagnosed by examining the follicles under a microscope. They have a distinctive, distorted shape. Yet Jada says the doctors found nothing. I think she is letting people believe and say she has an autoimmune disorder, but she herself never says this.

"The main symptom of alopecia areata is hair loss that occurs in small, round patches on your head. This leaves smooth, peach-colored areas of scalp exposed. A mild case of alopecia areata starts with one to two coin-size hairless patches. In many instances, it stops after that. Sometimes, the hair will grow back. However, there’s no guarantee. The condition is unpredictable, and the cycle of hair loss and regrowth can repeat itself."

"Your doctor may pull a couple of hairs from your head to examine under a microscope. If your doctor can’t confirm a diagnosis, he may send you to a lab for a test. They will scrape a small sample of skin from your scalp and look at it under a microscope. This can help them rule out other conditions that cause hair loss. You may also have a blood test to look for other autoimmune diseases."

Alopecia Areata (AA) - Alopecia Areata Symptoms - familydoctor.org

This is alopecia areata:
View attachment 339511
Alopecia areata: Causes, symptoms, and treatment

It's a little awkward that Will Smith just trashed his career for an autoimmune disorder that Jada has said herself she doesn't have.

"In spite of taking "every type of test," she said doctors did not know why she was losing her hair."

Jada Pinkett Smith Says This Was Her First Sign of Alopecia — Best Life

jmo
That's why it was so disingenuous of WS to have stated he reacted emotionally because “a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear.'' It wasn't like he snapped when he heard the joke. We all know he initially reacted by laughing at the joke.

That's why it was so disingenuous of WS to have stated he reacted emotionally because “a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear.'' It wasn't like he snapped when he heard the joke. We all know he initially reacted by laughing at the joke.
It's probably safe to say that whatever caused WS to be operating so close to the edge that he committed battery in public that night had nothing to do with his wife's hair.

Something is eating at the guy, obviously, and Chris Rock was just a convenient target. Mad at the boss so you go home and kick the dog kind of thing. His wife's "medical condition" was a convenient excuse to attack a convenient target. jmo

Just saw this.

‘Out of His Mind’ Will Smith Wanted to ‘Make It Right’ After Slap, Report Says

According to some sources, Academy CEO Dawn Hudson and President David Rubin sent Smith’s publicist Margaret O’Sullivan to Smith and asked him to leave, though the strength of their demand varied. “He was out of his mind,” one source told the Times. “They were trying to de-escalate the situation.” But Smith had other plans, according to other sources. “I want to apologize,” he said. “I think I can make it right.”

ETA: As if he already knew he had won and would be making an acceptance speech? Hmmm

Just saw this.

‘Out of His Mind’ Will Smith Wanted to ‘Make It Right’ After Slap, Report Says

According to some sources, Academy CEO Dawn Hudson and President David Rubin sent Smith’s publicist Margaret O’Sullivan to Smith and asked him to leave, though the strength of their demand varied. “He was out of his mind,” one source told the Times. “They were trying to de-escalate the situation.” But Smith had other plans, according to other sources. “I want to apologize,” he said. “I think I can make it right.”

ETA: As if he already knew he had won and would be making an acceptance speech? Hmmm
He must have been out of his mind if he thought he could he could 'make it right' by issuing an apology that EXCLUDED apologizing to Chris Rock. That brought him more negativity.

He must have been out of his mind if he thought he could he could 'make it right' by issuing an apology that EXCLUDED apologizing to Chris Rock. That brought him more negativity.
Chris Rock's next hour-long standup show could get interesting. The Smith's have provided enough cringy public overshares in the last few years Chris could use them as fodder for the entire hour. And still have jokes left over.

I wonder if he'll go for it? Or just stay mum about the whole affair forever. It could go either way with him. He's kind of a wild card.

Will picked on the wrong person in the grand scheme. But I suppose it could be said Chris Rock picked on the wrong person on Oscar night, too. Unwittingly, but here we are. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johandev
Back