CA William Purper, 54, last seen around the 24000 block of Abalar Way in the San Diego Country Estates, vehicle recovered next day, 8 April 2024.

StillDiggin

Reaction score
Escondido police are not giving up the search for a missing man whose truck was found without him more than a week ago.

Officers alongside deputies with San Diego County Sheriff's Department Search and Rescue team on Tuesday morning went back to the last known location of 54-year-old William Purper in the hopes they can locate the reported missing person. A K-9 unit was also in tow.

Purper was last seen on April 8, at around 1 p.m. in the 24000 block of Abalar Way in the San Diego Country Estates, EPD said. He was reported missing later that day.

On Tuesday, April 9, at around 2:40 a.m. EPD located Purper's truck parked at 18379 San Pasqual Valley Road at the Clevenger Canyon North Trail entrance. EPD and SDSO have used air support, drones and more to locate Purper, but he has, so far, not been located.
1713370810452.png

Escondido police are not giving up the search for a missing man whose truck was found without him more than a week ago.

Officers alongside deputies with San Diego County Sheriff's Department Search and Rescue team on Tuesday morning went back to the last known location of 54-year-old William Purper in the hopes they can locate the reported missing person. A K-9 unit was also in tow.

Purper was last seen on April 8, at around 1 p.m. in the 24000 block of Abalar Way in the San Diego Country Estates, EPD said. He was reported missing later that day.

On Tuesday, April 9, at around 2:40 a.m. EPD located Purper's truck parked at 18379 San Pasqual Valley Road at the Clevenger Canyon North Trail entrance. EPD and SDSO have used air support, drones and more to locate Purper, but he has, so far, not been located.
View attachment 497780
Police now state (via FB) that Purper is now considered "voluntarily" missing. Is this correct?

Police now state (via FB) that Purper is now considered "voluntarily" missing. Is this correct?
That's how I read it, that their investigation shows he is "voluntarily" missing though they are hoping he will contact them to provide some closure for family. He left his wallet, but no word on what happened to the donation checks the initial report said he had on his person. If those had been dropped off first, perhaps that will help with the timeline.

Very weird case. I wonder if he was someone who typically went hiking. Is it possible he could have had a a medical event in the canyon? I wonder why the police conclude that he is voluntarily missing.

Very weird case. I wonder if he was someone who typically went hiking. Is it possible he could have had a a medical event in the canyon? I wonder why the police conclude that he is voluntarily missing.
They'll conclude that if there is no actual evidence that he was involuntarily missing. As he was supposed to be dropping off donation checks, they could probably determine if he had done so before going missing. If he had already dropped them off, then going for a hiker afterwards might be more likely if that was something he liked to do. But I think if they thought he was lost while hiking, there would have been a more focused search in that area, in my opinion anyway.

I wish there was more information available. I wonder if a note was found? Any informative internet searches? It does seem odd that there is not a missing person webpage, etc etc.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndieLiz
Back