WV WV - Aliayah Lunsford, 3, Lewis Co., 24 Sep 2011 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will never give up on you, Aliayah!

This case has captured me in a way I never expected. I think it is because my family is from the south (Tennessee), small town nestled in the mountains where most folks are of modest means but tough, resiliant, hard working people. At least they were in the generation past. Now they are suffering the same changes as Lewis County, WV. Lots of folk on Govt. assistance, drugs taking over the young. Meth labs all over and bath salts. So sad.

When I was 13 years old, I am now 53, my friend came to my back door one early evening in November and asked if I would go with her to the store a few blocks away to get "oleo" for her Mom. I said no, that I wasn't even going to ask because we lived in the projects in Detroit and I knew my Grandmother would not have allowed me to go. It was early dusk and because of the neighborhood my family kept a tight reign on me. Her name was Laura Wilson, she had just turned 16 a couple months earlier.

She never returned. I'll never forget the frantic phone calls from her older sister calling around to find her. I was close to this family, spent lots of time at their house. They lived in the building directly behind mine, we shared a large backyard area. They were very poor but not poor in love. She had good parents who were both disabled and rarely left their apartment. I was told later that her older sister wanted to go with her but Laura insisted on going alone. I think she was counting on me going with her. She had her first boyfriend and probably wanted to talk.

Her remains were found 9 days later. She had been brutally raped and murdered. I will always remember seeing first hand what her family went through during those days. I'll never forget. Went to her funeral. I think of her all the time and because of her have always taken notice of missing cases and had special interest in the families of the missing. Laura's murderer was never found. Things were different in the 70s. Forensics weren't what they are today. Detroit was a big teeming city back then and Laura became one of the many unsolved cases.

There was an article recently in the Detroit News about Laura's case sparked by her younger sister who still, along with her older sister, seeks closure. Detroit has lost the rape kit that was done on Laura along with other key peices of evidence. Possibly even threw it away or destroyed it. So no DNA can be used to try and solve the case. So sad. Both of her parents have passed away. I'm so proud of her sisters for keeping Laura in their hearts and continuing to hope for justice.

Aliayah's case has captured me because it seems that she has been ignored by media. Just like my friend Laura, she was on the news a couple of times and then nothing. Why? Who knows, but I will not give up praying for Aliayah. She didn't get to pick the family nor the circumstances in which she was born into and she certainly didn't get to choose how she left their presence. Her importance shouldn't be determined by her station in life nor the behavior of her family.

Didn't set out to tell all of this but not sorry that I did.

This is a link to news article that focuses on three different cases. Due to the disjointed way the piece is arranged, you will need to watch the video (as opposed to just reading the text) to make any sense of it.

However, for the first time, I see Lena Lunsford in a new light. She looks truly upset (this is old footage by the way). I am just looking at it differently I suppose.

http://www.wdtv.com/wdtv.cfm?func=v...Homicide-and-Missing-Person-Cases-in-NCWV2746

I am at a loss as to why LE and the courts have not done anything publicly in this case. I've seen the layout of the house, and the only door into the bedroom in which Aliayah was sleeping was in LL's bedroom, where her and the other children were. By LL's statement, she was the last to see Aliayah at 6:30AM, when RL went to work. It's not like this was a 5000 square foot house, it was more like 1200 square feet.

In my opinion, LE and the courts should be using her media statement and the 911 call against her. There have been ample cases in which parents of missing children have been ordered by the court to produce the child or be found in contempt of court and jailed. In State of Maryland vs. Bouknight, the mother served over eight years because she would not divulge the location of her child, who she was suspected of murdering. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that she did not have the right to invoke her 5th Amendment rights when ordered to produce the child, as the child's life and welfare takes precedence.

But one problem we have here in Lewis county is that the current prosecutor is not running for reelection, so his interest in creating a precedent in WV appears to be lacking. I feel that once the divorce action begins, RL should ask the court to order LL to produce Aliayah, as he is the father on the birth certificate. DHHR is currently in the position to make such a request, but once again we are looking at a group that does not want to rock the boat or think outside of the box...just follow the letter of the law. That may be all that is needed to motivate the court to take a stronger position and bring this case to a close.

I guess we'll know next week how federal authorities are treating LL, being that she is one of the material witnesses in the Clarksburg/Buckhannon bath-salts case.

I am at a loss as to why LE and the courts have not done anything publicly in this case. I've seen the layout of the house, and the only door into the bedroom in which Aliayah was sleeping was in LL's bedroom, where her and the other children were. By LL's statement, she was the last to see Aliayah at 6:30AM, when RL went to work. It's not like this was a 5000 square foot house, it was more like 1200 square feet.

In my opinion, LE and the courts should be using her media statement and the 911 call against her. There have been ample cases in which parents of missing children have been ordered by the court to produce the child or be found in contempt of court and jailed. In State of Maryland vs. Bouknight, the mother served over eight years because she would not divulge the location of her child, who she was suspected of murdering. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that she did not have the right to invoke her 5th Amendment rights when ordered to produce the child, as the child's life and welfare takes precedence.

But one problem we have here in Lewis county is that the current prosecutor is not running for reelection, so his interest in creating a precedent in WV appears to be lacking. I feel that once the divorce action begins, RL should ask the court to order LL to produce Aliayah, as he is the father on the birth certificate. DHHR is currently in the position to make such a request, but once again we are looking at a group that does not want to rock the boat or think outside of the box...just follow the letter of the law. That may be all that is needed to motivate the court to take a stronger position and bring this case to a close.

I guess we'll know next week how federal authorities are treating LL, being that she is one of the material witnesses in the Clarksburg/Buckhannon bath-salts case.

BBM

Westinlund -I agree with everything you've said, and thanks for all the good info.

So Ralph is on her birth certificate, even knowing he wasn't Aliayah's father - hmm. I guess I always assumed it was the guy she named during her 911 call that didn't end up being the father. No children here, so not up on all that happens with birth certificates when children are born.

I thought somewhere that LL had already filed for divorce? Wonder what proceedings there will be? Haven't the children been taken away permanently from them? If so, seems a divorce would be pretty simple. I know in WV you didn't have to be separated for a year or anything like some states (or so it used to be). I assumed she might already be divorced. Well, there is the issue of paying for it too though.

I think so too that LL and RL should be forced legally to divulge Aliayah's whereabouts.

How come RL isn't a material witness in the bath salts case? Seems he was very familiar with the operation - or so he told the media. :waitasec:

And Aliayah's bedroom was only accessible through Lena's bedroom? Wow, what are we waiting on here folks. Good grief, how much crap are they going to let these less than innocent people feed them. How long are they going to let them refuse to talk and go about living as if nothing's happened?
:banghead:

Wasting county money for searches, pulling at the public's heartstrings and bank accounts, breaking their own children and family's heart etc... I'm sad that Lena's mom died without having Aliayah back, you know she loved that little girl - she raised her for several years from what I've read.

"Do the right thing" obviously fell on deaf ears long ago, seems like only jail time will do the trick at this point in time.

Wake up LE! We want this precious little girl home. :please:

(I was about an hour away from Weston a few days ago, and it broke my heart I couldn't get into town. I wanted to see everything I'd read about first-hand and pray for Aliayah there. Maybe another time...)

Had to go to the third page of this forum to find your thread. :tears:
Wish Aunt Vickie would come on here and let us know what is going on with searching for you. Your sad little face has stolen my heart. Still praying for you. That you will be found and the truth told and those responsible for what ever happened to you will be exposed and held accountable. Yes they will be held accountable ultimately by God, but - dear Lord, let justice come quickly and publically. Tomorrow would be good. Trusting and praying. :please:

Yes an update on what's happening would be great, but I'm hoping that Vickie is busy with her two new grandchildren - spoiling them like crazy~

We're thinking of you Aliayah, and your Aunt Vickie too :hug:

snipped by me..

And Aliayah's bedroom was only accessible through Lena's bedroom? Wow, what are we waiting on here folks. Good grief, how much crap are they going to let these less than innocent people feed them. How long are they going to let them refuse to talk and go about living as if nothing's happened?
:banghead:

Wasting county money for searches, pulling at the public's heartstrings and bank accounts, breaking their own children and family's heart etc... I'm sad that Lena's mom died without having Aliayah back, you know she loved that little girl - she raised her for several years from what I've read.

WHOA! I never actually saw the layout of the house, but I know of a lot of older homes that were built this way. This is a game changer completely!

http://www.wvnstv.com/story/18580933/lena-lunsford-to-be-sentenced-for-welfare-fraud

The mother of a 3-year-old girl who vanished eight months ago this week is being sentenced for welfare fraud.

http://www.gilmerfreepress.net/xyz....lunsford_sentencing_set_for_tuesday_05.22.12/

Sentencing for Lunsford is set for 2:30 PM Tuesday afternoon, May 22. 2012.

Lunsford is facing a maximum of five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 and restitution.

According to WDTV Facebook Lena Lunsford has been sentenced to 8 months in jail plus 1 year probation in a federal hearing for welfare fraud. Her sentence is set to begin June 28th.

WDTV.com says it's eight (!!) months in jail plus a year's probation-start serving June 28.
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Considering the fact that she was facing five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000, I would say that the court took it easy on her.

sigh

where is Aliayah? Poor little punkin.

Considering the fact that she was facing five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000, I would say that the court took it easy on her.

The judge was using the federal sentencing guidelines set in the sentencing manual. He stated that the sentence could be 2-8 months, with a maximum of 1-year probation.

Her public defender asked for probation, citing that LL had used the monies gained from the sales for the purchase of gasoline, cleaning supplies and other items not covered under the SNAP program. The prosecutor argued that there was no way to determine what the monies were used for, and asked for the sentence to be 2 months incarceration.

The judge was not having it, citing LL's 10+ year background in fraudulent activities, uttering, lying to LE and possession of stolen property. He stated that LL had spent her life taking advantage of the system and not providing her own support by working.

He also said that he was giving her the maximum sentence allowed by the sentencing manual, and that it was given so that she may learn the error of her ways and possibly turn her life around from her criminal past.

After the sentencing, we along with news media awaited LL, but she stayed inside the building until kicked out by the security staff. She was then followed and asked several questions about Aliayah by both ourselves and the media personnel.

Interesting afternoon, to say the least...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbL6N5iF3WI&feature=youtu.be

Raw video of LL leaving Elkins Federal Court on 5/22/2012. Shortly after the video, just around the corner from that parking lot, she was pulled over by Randolph county sheriffs deputies because she had a felon in her vehicle, a violation of her probation and sentencing. She was taken into custody at this time. We are keeping an eye on the regional jail to see if she shows up on their roster.

Raw video of LL leaving Elkins Federal Court on 5/22/2012. Shortly after the video, just around the corner from that parking lot, she was pulled over by Randolph county sheriffs deputies because she had a felon in her vehicle, a violation of her probation and sentencing. She was taken into custody at this time. We are keeping an eye on the regional jail to see if she shows up on their roster.

Well, didn't take her long to violate her probation, did it? Or is this probation she was on previously? Glad they picked her up.

I'm sorry, but I just had to crack little smile on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supertooth