WV WV - Cassie Shelton Sheetz, 23, hiker, Spruce Knob, Monongahela National Forest, 11 Mar 2021

I have grown up in the area she went missing. It's not somewhere that you go hiking unprepared and definitely not at night. I didn't know Cassie however I do know the other 2 that were with her. It's not a place where carrying or dragging a body could be done very easily. Tripping and falling is extremely easy to during the daytime, I couldn't imagine being under the influence of something at night trying to make it out if there safely.

I have grown up in the area she went missing. It's not somewhere that you go hiking unprepared and definitely not at night. I didn't know Cassie however I do know the other 2 that were with her. It's not a place where carrying or dragging a body could be done very easily. Tripping and falling is extremely easy to during the daytime, I couldn't imagine being under the influence of something at night trying to make it out if there safely.

To be fair, Cassie could have been driven closer to the location remains were found. I believe it was 10+ miles away from where the trio were allegedly hiking.

To be fair, Cassie could have been driven closer to the location remains were found. I believe it was 10+ miles away from where the trio were allegedly hiking.
I didn't say I had any knowledge about what occurred out there. I'm just saying dragging or carrying a person would be nearly impossible. I didn't say I was friends with the other 2 I just know of them. In an environment like that there is no driving closer to location remains were located. 10 miles as a crow flies from where they were hiking, I see this as it was dark they were lost paranoid injured and someone went the wrong direction and wound up there or an animal drug partial remains to location discovered. All my opinion of course.

I didn't say I had any knowledge about what occurred out there. I'm just saying dragging or carrying a person would be nearly impossible. I didn't say I was friends with the other 2 I just know of them. In an environment like that there is no driving closer to location remains were located. 10 miles as a crow flies from where they were hiking, I see this as it was dark they were lost paranoid injured and someone went the wrong direction and wound up there or an animal drug partial remains to location discovered. All my opinion of course.
Agree that dragging / carrying would be nearly impossible, but if I recall, it is possible to drive to a closer location. I believe that’s how the hunters who found the remains led investigators there (don’t think they were 10+ miles out). I don’t know the boys, but I know Cassie’s mother, Arlene. She’s tried to talk to them, but they haven’t been very forthcoming, to say the least. IMO

Agree that dragging / carrying would be nearly impossible, but if I recall, it is possible to drive to a closer location. I believe that’s how the hunters who found the remains led investigators there (don’t think they were 10+ miles out). I don’t know the boys, but I know Cassie’s mother, Arlene. She’s tried to talk to them, but they haven’t been very forthcoming, to say the least. IMO
I believe hunters found the remains while walking through the woods and the officer Teeter says that due to the location of remains foul play wasn't suspected. If I recall correctly Teeter waited until the next day to go to the location of the remains due to the distance and difficulty of getting to them. MOO

I believe hunters found the remains while walking through the woods and the officer Teeter says that due to the location of remains foul play wasn't suspected. If I recall correctly Teeter waited until the next day to go to the location of the remains due to the distance and difficulty of getting to them. MOO
They found the remains while walking and due to the rough terrain and seclusion, the hunters advised Teeter to wait until the next day. I will try to find out exactly how far they had to walk, but I don’t remember it being more than a few miles. Teeter said he wasn’t ruling out foul play, but that there wasn’t anything found in the area that would necessarily point to that (shallow grave, weapon, etc.). I used to have Teeter’s information, but I believe he has retired now.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we’ll ever truly know what happened that night.

They found the remains while walking and due to the rough terrain and seclusion, the hunters advised Teeter to wait until the next day. I will try to find out exactly how far they had to walk, but I don’t remember it being more than a few miles. Teeter said he wasn’t ruling out foul play, but that there wasn’t anything found in the area that would necessarily point to that (shallow grave, weapon, etc.). I used to have Teeter’s information, but I believe he has retired now.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we’ll ever truly know what happened that night.
I don't believe so either. In my honest opinion I believe it was a tragic accident that could have been caused by multiple bad choices by all 3 parties that day and night. If you have ever been to Spruce Knob area during the time Cassie came up missing you do not hike in a spaghetti strap tank top, leggings, and furry boots that aren't waterproof. It's usually windy up there snow lingers on ground for quite sometime ( I believe there may have been snow visible in some photos of the 3 taken that day). Everyone could have done things differently that day and had a different outcome. Sadly though someone lost their life during a trip to a place that is truly dangerous terrain and weather conditions that change rather fast ( without having cell service to check weather) these 3 should have never attempted to mess around on this mountain. All my own opinion as well as knowledge of the area that I have grown up in, hiked and fished during all seasons.

Yes, exactly. Every year there are a few people who get in trouble in the mountains around New England because they think that because the mountains aren't tall, that means they aren't dangerous, and they go out under-equipped and under-prepared. I have no trouble believing she got into trouble, then got lost and tried to walk out.

Yes, exactly. Every year there are a few people who get in trouble in the mountains around New England because they think that because the mountains aren't tall, that means they aren't dangerous, and they go out under-equipped and under-prepared. I have no trouble believing she got into trouble, then got lost and tried to walk out.
When I camped at Spruce Knob for the first time years ago, I was lucky enough to be in a camper, spent the day dressed in light clothes and went to bed with clear skies only to wake up to -14 degrees farinheit with over a foot of snow. Vehicle wouldn't start because of the temperature had to stay a couple days longer than planned in an area with no cell service, relying on what we had available in camper and around it. It was March and I never expected that to happen. Had I not been in a camper I would have been in extreme danger.

When I camped at Spruce Knob for the first time years ago, I was lucky enough to be in a camper, spent the day dressed in light clothes and went to bed with clear skies only to wake up to -14 degrees farinheit with over a foot of snow. Vehicle wouldn't start because of the temperature had to stay a couple days longer than planned in an area with no cell service, relying on what we had available in camper and around it. It was March and I never expected that to happen. Had I not been in a camper I would have been in extreme danger.
Wow, yeah, I'm glad you made it out okay! That could have been very bad.

Wow, yeah, I'm glad you made it out okay! That could have been very bad.
Thank you! Yes it very well could have.. People need to understand that mother nature may be extremely beautiful but she is extremely dangerous and unpredictable. I have learned that it's best to pack something suitable for all seasons while in the mountains of West Virginia especially during Spring and Fall. I hope Cassies family gets closure and answers about what happened that terrible day.

Thank you! Yes it very well could have.. People need to understand that mother nature may be extremely beautiful but she is extremely dangerous and unpredictable. I have learned that it's best to pack something suitable for all seasons while in the mountains of West Virginia especially during Spring and Fall. I hope Cassies family gets closure and answers about what happened that terrible day.

Has it been officially confirmed that the remains are hers? I don't recall seeing a formal announcement.

Has it been officially confirmed that the remains are hers? I don't recall seeing a formal announcement.
No, no official confirmation. Her mother recently spoke to LE and they told her that they’ve been contacting the ME’s office (in an attempt to push it along, I’m assuming).

The items found with the remains (clothing, etc.) are confirmed to have been hers, though

No, no official confirmation. Her mother recently spoke to LE and they told her that they’ve been contacting the ME’s office (in an attempt to push it along, I’m assuming).

The items found with the remains (clothing, etc.) are confirmed to have been hers, though
So it doesn't sound like there's much room for doubt.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simwolves
Back