WV - Infamous Boston mobster James “Whitey” Bulger killed in prison, Oct 2018 *arrests**

I strongly disagree with this judge's decision to dismiss the family's lawsuit. I don't care what someone's crimes, once they are in the custody of the DOC or any government agency, they deserve to be protected from neglect, bodily harm, and/or abuse from COs, other staff, and inmates. Otherwise, it perpetuates lawlessness, allows some to act outside of the law, and makes a farce out of our justice system. A jury should have decided whether or not the lawsuit had merit. AMOO

I strongly disagree with this judge's decision to dismiss the family's lawsuit. I don't care what someone's crimes, once they are in the custody of the DOC or any government agency, they deserve to be protected from neglect, bodily harm, and/or abuse from COs, other staff, and inmates. Otherwise, it perpetuates lawlessness, allows some to act outside of the law, and makes a farce out of our justice system. A jury should have decided whether or not the lawsuit had merit. AMOO
It's essentially a repeat of what happened to the lawsuits filed by families of the victims. MOO

It's essentially a repeat of what happened to the lawsuits filed by families of the victims. MOO
All MOO. I'm against that as well. Far too often, judges ignore the need for checks and balances, and they don't self-police well at all. They remind me of tenured professors, in that they very rarely suffer consequences of out of bounds decisions.

All MOO. I'm against that as well. Far too often, judges ignore the need for checks and balances, and they don't self-police well at all. They remind me of tenured professors, in that they very rarely suffer consequences of out of bounds decisions.
In this case, the Court blamed Congress:

“Congress had many opportunities to create a damages remedy for situations where a housing decision leads to injury. But it did not do so. Instead, it has repeatedly limited judicial authority to review BOP housing decisions and to entertain claims brought by prisoners,” the decision said.

In the victim's cases, the Court decided the cases were time-barred by the statute! And if I recall correctly, the case that was successful on appeal (i.e., beat the clock) ultimately lost when the verdict was overturned on appeal.

No way could the Court rule where the FBI would be held accountable. MOO

In this case, the Court blamed Congress:

“Congress had many opportunities to create a damages remedy for situations where a housing decision leads to injury. But it did not do so. Instead, it has repeatedly limited judicial authority to review BOP housing decisions and to entertain claims brought by prisoners,” the decision said.

In the victim's cases, the Court decided the cases were time-barred by the statute! And if I recall correctly, the case that was successful on appeal (i.e., beat the clock) ultimately lost when the verdict was overturned on appeal.

No way could the Court rule where the FBI would be held accountable. MOO

Wow, that's really passing the buck. Is that really the court's job, to tell Congress what they should do? Is that an accurate statement? I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if Congress passed laws that limit judicial authority to review BOP stuff. If so, the court should just rule in a way that says Congress is wrong, go back and revisit the statutes. IANAL, ICBW.

In Bulger's case, the court seems to completely sidestep the question of how it came to be that Bulger was immediately put into a dangerous situation. Someone did that deliberately and it needs to be investigated, not swept under the rug.

As for the FBI, I've always supported them. The only exceptions are the terrible stuff Hoover did and the horrible way the Boston FBI handled their job (or didn't). I don't know enough of the history, but LE had a LOT of problems in Mass back in the day. There are quite a few Mass cases in the Cold Case section here that just don't look right. That's a topic for another thread, though.

8/23/22

Boston gangster Whitey Bulger was murdered by prison inmates just six minutes after his cell doors was unlocked on his first morning at West Virginia's notoriously violent Hazelton Prison.

The shocking timeline was revealed as US attorneys asked a Florida judge that one of the alleged accomplices to Bulger's murder, former Hazelton inmate Sean McKinnon, be detained until his trial. McKinnon, 36, was released from prison earlier this year after completing his prior sentence.

[..]

McKinnon - who acted as lookout - was heard discussing Bulger's arrival with his mom over the phone in a recorded call, with his mother urging him not to get involved.

Bulger had previously been serving out his life-sentence for 11 murders in units reserved for high-risk inmates such as informants or pedophiles, but was placed among the general population in Hazelton - a decision that ultimately proved fatal.

The timeline showed Bulger arrived at Hazelton Prison at 8:30pm on October 29. It is unclear what time prisoners were locked up for the evening.

But at 5am the following morning, cellmates Geas and McKinnon were seen on surveillance meeting in their cell with DeCologero.

At 6am all cell doors in the prison unit were unlocked so inmates could leave for breakfast. Then at 6:06am Geas and DeCologero entered Bulger's cell and remained within for seven minutes, leaving at 6:13am.

8/23/22

Boston gangster Whitey Bulger was murdered by prison inmates just six minutes after his cell doors was unlocked on his first morning at West Virginia's notoriously violent Hazelton Prison.

The shocking timeline was revealed as US attorneys asked a Florida judge that one of the alleged accomplices to Bulger's murder, former Hazelton inmate Sean McKinnon, be detained until his trial. McKinnon, 36, was released from prison earlier this year after completing his prior sentence.

[..]

McKinnon - who acted as lookout - was heard discussing Bulger's arrival with his mom over the phone in a recorded call, with his mother urging him not to get involved.

Bulger had previously been serving out his life-sentence for 11 murders in units reserved for high-risk inmates such as informants or pedophiles, but was placed among the general population in Hazelton - a decision that ultimately proved fatal.

The timeline showed Bulger arrived at Hazelton Prison at 8:30pm on October 29. It is unclear what time prisoners were locked up for the evening.

But at 5am the following morning, cellmates Geas and McKinnon were seen on surveillance meeting in their cell with DeCologero.

At 6am all cell doors in the prison unit were unlocked so inmates could leave for breakfast. Then at 6:06am Geas and DeCologero entered Bulger's cell and remained within for seven minutes, leaving at 6:13am.

So the inmates knew in advance that Bulger was coming and when? Perhaps a trusty working in the office got the info? IDK

Last edited:

Northern West Virginia Chief U.S. District Judge Thomas S. Kleeh on Tuesday granted the motion for a continuance. Kleeh set a status conference at 2 p.m. Feb. 9 in Clarksburg, around the time the sides had requested.
The trial had been set for mid-December.

12/7/22

The Justice Department’s inspector general identified a series of “management and performance failures” among Bureau of Prison (BOP) employees that preceded the 2018 death of infamous mobster James “Whitey” Bulger in a West Virginia prison.

Three men were charged with conspiracy to commit first degree murder over Bulger’s killing, which occurred in October 2018 just hours after he was transferred to the Hazleton facility.

The plea deals for Fotios “Freddy” Geas, Paul J. DeCologero and Sean McKinnon were disclosed nearly six years after the 89-year-old gangster was beaten to death in his cell at a troubled West Virginia prison.

Geas, a onetime Mafia hitman, and DeCologero, a Massachusetts gangster, were accused of repeatedly hitting Bulger in the head while McKinnon served as a lookout.

DeCologero told an inmate witness that Bulger was a “snitch” and that as soon as he came into their unit, they planned to kill him. DeCologero also told an inmate that he and Geas used a belt with a lock attached to it to bludgeon Bulger to death, prosecutors said.

Geas and DeCologero were identified as suspects shortly after Bulger’s death, but they remained uncharged for years as the investigation dragged on.

The plea deals for Fotios “Freddy” Geas, Paul J. DeCologero and Sean McKinnon were disclosed nearly six years after the 89-year-old gangster was beaten to death in his cell at a troubled West Virginia prison.

Geas, a onetime Mafia hitman, and DeCologero, a Massachusetts gangster, were accused of repeatedly hitting Bulger in the head while McKinnon served as a lookout.

DeCologero told an inmate witness that Bulger was a “snitch” and that as soon as he came into their unit, they planned to kill him. DeCologero also told an inmate that he and Geas used a belt with a lock attached to it to bludgeon Bulger to death, prosecutors said.

Geas and DeCologero were identified as suspects shortly after Bulger’s death, but they remained uncharged for years as the investigation dragged on.
This is one secret plea agreement. Docs are sealed tight. Who else is being protected here? JMO

I needed a refresher for why WB was transferred to W VA and was reminded this was due to disciplinary problems in Florida:

11/1/2018

BOSTON (AP) — Disciplinary issues prompted the transfer of gangster James ‘‘Whitey’’ Bulger to the federal prison where he was beaten to death within hours of his arrival, a federal law enforcement official said Thursday.

An official briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press that the 89-year-old former Boston crime boss and longtime FBI informant was transferred to USP Hazelton in West Virginia after causing problems at the prison in Florida, where he had been serving a life sentence for participating in 11 killings.

[..]

The federal Bureau of Prisons has not responded to requests for comment about safety concerns at USP Hazelton.

Robert Hood, a former warden at the federal supermax prison in Florence, Colorado, said Bulger’s age alone would put him potentially at risk in the prison’s general population. Add Bulger’s notoriety, and Hood said he could not imagine housing him with other inmates.

‘‘A known snitch in almost every prison is in jeopardy,’’ Hood said. ‘‘I don’t think it was intentional. I just think they gave too much credit to the age of the inmate, thinking: ‘He’s old, he’s not going to hurt anyone,’’’ he said.

Bulger’s killing marks the third at Hazelton in the last six months.

8/23/22

Inmates at the prison where James “Whitey” Bulger was killed knew in advance that the notorious gangster was being transferred there, according to a transcript of a phone call between one of the suspects and his mother.

“We’re getting ready to get another higher profile person here tonight,” Sean McKinnon told his mother on Oct. 29, 2018, according to a partial transcript of the call read by federal prosecutors in court Monday.

McKinnon went on to identify the arriving prisoner as Bulger, the former Boston crime boss.

[..]

“Stay away from him, please,” his mother, Cheryl Prevost, replied, according to prosecutors.

The call took place at 3:30 p.m., according to prosecutors.

Bulger, 89, arrived at the prison in Hazelton, West Virginia, five hours later, at 8:30 p.m. He was found bludgeoned to death at 8:07 a.m. the following morning.

I'm thinking Bulger ending up in W VA and in GP was two fold:

First, he had threatened a nurse at the Florida unit where he was in a medical ward after being diagnosed with a heart condition and was using a wheelchair. Bulger's updated medical plus his high risk security status made him more difficult to transfer.

Reportedly, Bulger was inappropriately downgraded by BOP staff to widened the list of BOP locations they could transfer him to. Also, when being transferred, Bulger falsely reported he was not an inmate with gang/informant ties which would have made him ineligible for GP. and nobody verified his intake! :oops:

Sure, let's believe a a liar and vicious killer. Maybe this was indeed his final act -- fulfilling his death wish. Going out as viciously as he took out others. JMO

12/27/22

Despite repeated efforts to reclassify Bulger as a 'level 2' medical care inmate, officials were instructed that Bulger's health situation warranted him remaining at 'level 3,' the report said. But officials at Coleman seemingly ignored the recommendation and omitted other key information about Bulger's health in their final transfer request before he was sent to Hazelton, a high-security level 2 care facility.

Investigators found that after Bulger's transfer was approved, more than 100 employees at BOP received notifications and multiple inmates at Hazelton began sending communications about the transfer making clear they were aware he was due to arrive. Investigators said they were unable to determine which particular BOP employees at the prison were responsible for improperly disclosing news of Bulger's transfer to inmates at Hazelton.

[..]

Investigators also found additional issues with how officials at Hazelton assessed the risk of harm Bulger faced from other inmates upon his transfer to the facility. According to the repot, BOP policy did not require Bulger to undergo a risk assessment by a BOP officer prior to his transfer which -- if conducted, would have singled him out as likely ineligible for placement with the general population.

Bulger, who after 8 months in the single-cell Special Housing Unit at Coleman had reportedly started saying he had lost any will to live, also expressed a preference to be placed with the general population. Investigators also say he lied on an intake form that had asked whether he had ever been a member of a gang or if he provided cooperation to a law enforcement investigation.

I think if this was not Federal/BOP but a State DOC facility, and State personnel, the suit would probably not have been dismissed.

I'm following a case where Federal, State, and County personnel are being sued for civil rights violations (which I think happened here with Bulger), and the Federal agents were voluntarily dismissed from the suit without much argument following their motion to dismiss where they cited they have immunity from prosecution.

However, the State and County defendants may not be able to use the same argument following a change in the State law here that banned qualified immunity. JMO

I'm thinking Bulger ending up in W VA and in GP was two fold:

First, he had threatened a nurse at the Florida unit where he was in a medical ward after being diagnosed with a heart condition and was using a wheelchair. Bulger's updated medical plus his high risk security status made him more difficult to transfer.

Reportedly, Bulger was inappropriately downgraded by BOP staff to widened the list of BOP locations they could transfer him to. Also, when being transferred, Bulger falsely reported he was not an inmate with gang/informant ties which would have made him ineligible for GP. and nobody verified his intake! :oops:

Sure, let's believe a a liar and vicious killer. Maybe this was indeed his final act -- fulfilling his death wish. Going out as viciously as he took out others. JMO

12/27/22

Despite repeated efforts to reclassify Bulger as a 'level 2' medical care inmate, officials were instructed that Bulger's health situation warranted him remaining at 'level 3,' the report said. But officials at Coleman seemingly ignored the recommendation and omitted other key information about Bulger's health in their final transfer request before he was sent to Hazelton, a high-security level 2 care facility.

Investigators found that after Bulger's transfer was approved, more than 100 employees at BOP received notifications and multiple inmates at Hazelton began sending communications about the transfer making clear they were aware he was due to arrive. Investigators said they were unable to determine which particular BOP employees at the prison were responsible for improperly disclosing news of Bulger's transfer to inmates at Hazelton.

[..]

Investigators also found additional issues with how officials at Hazelton assessed the risk of harm Bulger faced from other inmates upon his transfer to the facility. According to the repot, BOP policy did not require Bulger to undergo a risk assessment by a BOP officer prior to his transfer which -- if conducted, would have singled him out as likely ineligible for placement with the general population.

Bulger, who after 8 months in the single-cell Special Housing Unit at Coleman had reportedly started saying he had lost any will to live, also expressed a preference to be placed with the general population. Investigators also say he lied on an intake form that had asked whether he had ever been a member of a gang or if he provided cooperation to a law enforcement investigation.
He was 89 years old, with heart trouble and was still threatening people in prison? Once a , always a . It seems like a lot of errors of omission by Bulger and prison officials that led to this.

I agree, prisoners should be properly supervised for their safety as well as that of others. Otherwise we become as bad as the criminals.

1715793032400.png
Sean McKinnon. Family photo

I'm pretty shocked at the freedom of movement the trio enjoyed at Hazleton!

I'm also curious where the three inmates McKinnon, 36, and Fotios “Freddy” Geas, 55, a mafia hitman who was sharing a cell with McKinnon, and Paul DeCologero, 48, who was a member of an organized crime gang led by his uncle, have been housed since identified as the trio responsible for Bulger's death.

Although captured on surveillance, I wonder if Pauly believed McKinnon ratted on him and Freddy, or if he suspected the inmate informant who cooperated.

IIRC, McKinnon had been released from BOP (after serving time for gun theft charges) when he was arrested for killing Bulger. We know they had McKinnon on phone record telling his mother that Bulger was arriving at Hazleton the same day.

It was following McKinnon's arrest and his detention hearing that prosecutors described what the surveillance system captured inside the prison:

Shortly after the cell doors opened up on their unit at 6 a.m., the three suspects met in the cell belonging to Geas and McKinnon. Six minutes later, all three walked out, according to prosecutor Hannah Nowalk.

DeCologero and Geas entered Bulger’s cell; McKinnon sat at a table with a view of that cell and the officers’ station, Nowalk said.

DeCologero and Geas remained in Bulger’s cell for seven minutes. After they left at 6:13 a.m., all three men returned to the cell belonging to Geas and McKinnon, according to Nowalk.

She said the government’s case is bolstered by three jailhouse informants. [..]

“Pauly said as soon as they saw Bulger come into the unit, they planned to kill him,” Nowalk said at the hearing, according to a transcript obtained by NBC News. “And then Pauly told this inmate witness that Sean McKinnon was the lookout.”

DeCologero also said that he and Geas used “a belt with a lock attached to it” to beat Bulger to death, according to Nowalk. Many news outlets, including NBC News, had previously reported that the men were believed to have used a lock stuffed inside a sock to kill Bulger.

McKinnon was the lookout.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marie93
Back