WV - Kyneddi Miller, 14-year old starved to death, mother arrested - 4/20/24

Clearsky

Reaction score
<modsnip - initial link used to open this thread was an MSN link. MSN is an aggregator that used many sources. Some of them are legitimate, like local newspapers or TV stations. Some of them are not. The one used to open this thread was not - and also got the location of the crime wrong. So that the thread doesn't have to be removed, borrowing an approved article from Mert. :)>

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
How absolutely tragic. She must have suffered a lot.

I'd like to know how this happened. What does the mother have to say for herself? Why weren't other relatives a part of the victim's life? Why doesn't the mother have any relatives nor friends that she sees? Why didn't the grandmother ever intervene? Who else could have saved this child but decided to "mind their own business?"

KM was found dead on the bathroom floor of the 400 block of Cameo Road, and she was emaciated to the point that her body appeared “skeletal” to first responders. Sheriff Chad Barket told 13 News on Thursday that there was no record of her mother, Julie Anne Stone Miller, taking KM to receive medical treatment in the months leading up to her death, even though the criminal complaint outlines that KM had been deteriorating for months and had not left the house in four years. Miller was arrested for child neglect resulting in death.
Advocates connect dots between teen's death, 'Raylee's law' to prevent child neglect cases

I am not buying the undiagnosed eating disorder either. whose decision was it that KM hadn't left the house for four years? This case is already giving Lacey Fletcher vibes. :( It's the dead teen's fault she was emaciated and died of starvation because "undiagnosed eating disorder". The teen hadn't left the house because? Betting mommy dearest claims KM refused to do so and refused to get medical treatment. After all, it's not like her mother could have forced her. :rolleyes: :mad:

According to West Virginia Metro News, the victim’s grandmother told investigators the girl hadn’t been eating in the last several months, and her physical health worsened to the point where she couldn’t perform everyday tasks on her own. The grandmother also reportedly said the teen hadn’t been to school since around 2019 or 2020, nor had she left the house much in the last four years. The sheriff’s office said they believe the victim was being home-schooled.
W.Va. mom arrested after teen daughter in 'emaciated, skeletal state' is found dead
Kyneddi in 2019
kyneddi-miller-42224-b833c033c0424152b3a7565cdbb27fa2.jpg

911 Call Leads to Discovery of Girl, 14, in 'Emaciated, Skeletal State,' and Mom Is Arrested

RIP young lady :(

Stone said for years they asked about Kyneddi and claimed Child Protective Services and law enforcement were asked to check on her. Eyewitness News is working to confirm that information from authorities.
Exclusive: 14-year-old Kyneddi Miller remembered, mother charged in connection with death

The child was found dead on a foam pad in the bathroom of a home in the Morrisvale area of Boone County, according to a criminal complaint. The girl’s mother, Julie Anne Stone Miller, 49, was charged with child neglect causing death.

Family members previously told Eyewitness News that CPS had been contacted in the past about the 14-year-old.
CPS 'had no idea' about Boone County girl found dead, governor says

I know I have said this before, but Covid did so much damage to kids whos only respite sometimes was school.

I spent a large part of lockdown dealing with the fall out of a DV divorce. My former stepkids were living in a trap house, left school in 2019, did not see a dr, dentist or anyone in authority for years. Schools passed them. They never opened a chromebook. I called CPS, schools, counselors, police, truancy court, everyone I could think of, to let them know cps missed three of the seven kids. That they were always hungry, living in a apartment piled high with trash and drug paraphernalia.

No one cared. It made me wonder, how many other kids, are like my stepkids? Being kept off grid, isolated from their peers or other family, and I started to see, it seems to have happened a lot due to covid and the laws in place that prohibit the state from stepping in. From what I read, they were out for a welfare check in Mach of 2023. She never went back to school after lockdown ended, and that school had a responsibility to know she was being educated.

We will be hearing more stories like this, where the child has not been seen in years. Many times the child passed during covid, and no one ever looked for them. Look at Harmony Montgomery, Oakley Carlson, Karreon Franks, all lost their lives to their parents and it took years for anyone to even notice Harmony, Oakley and many others missing. It is so easy to do. Look at the Blake Deven case. Kept those kids isolated from the world and now two are missing as well.
Cash Gernon lost his life because he was dumped by his addict father with his ex girlfriend, leading him to encounter his killer. We, as a community, have got to start paying attention to the children around us and in our lives. Because the state is not going to.

I actually do think people called CPS. They don't have record because it was screened out at the call center.

Jerry Stone, 75, and Donna Stone, 76, have been charged with child neglect causing death, MetroNews, WCHS-TV and WSAZ report. The girl’s mother, Julie Anne Stone Miller, 49, is facing the same charge.
[snip]
According to Barker, Jerry, Donna, Julie and Kyneddi all lived together. The investigation also revealed that Kyneddi had not attended school in nearly four years, per the original criminal complaint.
Mom of Girl, 14, Found Dead in 'Skeletal State' Was Charged Last Month. Why Were Grandparents Just Arrested?

At a press conference streamed by WSAZ and shared by the sheriff's office last week, Barker said that the alleged eating disorder, mentioned by witnesses, had not been diagnosed or medically documented.
911 Call Leads to Discovery of Girl, 14, in 'Emaciated, Skeletal State,' and Mom Is Arrested

So her last school attendance was aged 10 :( and then goodbye to mandated reporters. Eating disorder my ample behind. This is sounding very much like Lacey Fletcher's "locked in syndrome" which was so much fiction/excuses made up by parents who watched their child die ever so slowly while lifting not a finger. JMO

I wonder how old that photo of her is. The article above states she hadn’t had professional help for an eating disorder for at least 4 years. Grandmother says she was not eating “for a few months”. That’s a pretty big timeline. I feel like any photos of her officials can get their hands on will better pinpoint a timeline for when this happened.

As someone with an eating disorder as a teen (and formerly homeschooled, go figure), I do know symptoms can be hidden pretty easily from parents. However I also know it’s very easy for homeschool parents to hide neglect.

Whether or not this child chose not to eat, I don’t know. But regardless there was something very wrong going on in this house, and them letting her die like that is telling of it.

I wonder if after a certain point they felt they couldn’t get medical help for her because of how ill she was. And then it only got worse? I’m not in any way justifying it, just speculating. Something as simple as a yearly checkup could have saved her life here. :/

I wonder how old that photo of her is. The article above states she hadn’t had professional help for an eating disorder for at least 4 years. Grandmother says she was not eating “for a few months”. That’s a pretty big timeline. I feel like any photos of her officials can get their hands on will better pinpoint a timeline for when this happened.

As someone with an eating disorder as a teen (and formerly homeschooled, go figure), I do know symptoms can be hidden pretty easily from parents. However I also know it’s very easy for homeschool parents to hide neglect.

Whether or not this child chose not to eat, I don’t know. But regardless there was something very wrong going on in this house, and them letting her die like that is telling of it.

I wonder if after a certain point they felt they couldn’t get medical help for her because of how ill she was. And then it only got worse? I’m not in any way justifying it, just speculating. Something as simple as a yearly checkup could have saved her life here. :/
My own suspicion after the sheriff made a point of saying in his press conference she was NEVER diagnosed with an eating disorder, is that the charged mother and grandparents are lying. There was no eating disorder. She was being starved by them. JMO MOO your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
imo, i dont even care if the eating disorder story is true or not. if your minor child dies due to an untreated illness in your care, thats homicide by neglect.
I agree with both you and Tlcya. It’s very unlikely she was anorexic, and regardless it’s still at bare minimum criminal to let her suffer like that. Breaks my heart like Lacey’s case does.

I agree with both you and Tlcya. It’s very unlikely she was anorexic, and regardless it’s still at bare minimum criminal to let her suffer like that. Breaks my heart like Lacey’s case does.
Hard agree. She used covid and the grandparents as a reason to pull her from school. We will keep seeing this happen.
What burns me is they say she had an ED....had not eaten in a few months...but no Dr ever diagnosed her because they never bothered to take her. What that child must have endured all alone these last 4 years breaks my heart.

Even her own family wanted to see her and they could not....I hope people don't cast any blame on them. I spent years calling cps, 911, schools, truancy court, anyone I could, about kids who were pulled from school just like this, and living in a trap house with junkies and predators.
CPS never came. In fact they told me to stop calling, it was the parents choice how to raise their child and they would not be doing a welfare check. It broke me, because those kids ended up being hurt, and, turning to drugs as well to cope.
I am not trying to make it about, me, just trying to show how incredibly common it is for LE and CPS to not step up

I feel for all these kids, all of them :(

I agree, IMO after a while her extreme physical appearance/condition became too obvious and perhaps they knew there would be repercussions. So rather than face the responsibility of their actions or lack there of, they sacrificed this precious little girls life. There is absolutely no excuse for what has happened here.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craftymom74
Back