WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I look into the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum (once known as the Weston State Hospital) the more intriguing the theory looks. Judging by what occured in this place, I'm not sure they required a lot of documentation to "admit" someone (evidently they would lock someone away with the criminally insane for having stomach ailments). Children would be accepted into the facility for little or no reason...
Laura Bean, if you haven't checked it out already, someone at the the Asylum's site ( http://www.trans-alleghenylunaticasylum.com/index.html ) might be able to provide some further guidance. I also have a potential contact--PM me for the name.

Also... Weston is only about 90 miles north of Fayetteville; even with the road system in place then I can't see it taking more than a couple of hours.

Shadowangel - According to the West Virginia historical society, it only would have taken between 2 and a half to three hours to get from where the Sodder family lived to the hospital. That's all. Very short amount of time to control five children. Granddaughter, are you still there? What do you think of this theory? Could you and your family call the new hospital who has taken over the records and the patients? It may need a court order to have them opened, but the hospital also may be able to just search the records, or even perhaps allow you and your family to search through them. I think this is a really good possibility and definitly a new theory that has not been researched.

shadowangel - according to the west virginia historical society, it only would have taken between 2 and a half to three hours to get from where the sodder family lived to the hospital. That's all. Very short amount of time to control five children. Granddaughter, are you still there? What do you think of this theory? Could you and your family call the new hospital who has taken over the records and the patients? It may need a court order to have them opened, but the hospital also may be able to just search the records, or even perhaps allow you and your family to search through them. I think this is a really good possibility and definitly a new theory that has not been researched.

what hospital are you talking about because when the state police went looking for my brothers birth records in west virginia from the hospital they were told that they keep the records for 10 years and then they are distroyed. They now put them on microfilm but back before then they do not have. My brother was born 1957. THERE WAS NO LAW THAT SAID THEY HAD TO KEEP THEM. SO GOOD LUCK

First off, no reason to use caps and get nasty with people who are just simply trying to help. Second of all, when I called the historical society of WV they told me the records are in a warehouse. The other hospital who took over kept those records, this is according to the WV historical society. It is possible that the hospital will allow granddaughter to look through the records, however, it may also be possible that a court order would be needed to allow her to search. And it is not very nice of you to go nasty and say things like GOOD LUCK. I thought we were all in this to help granddaughter and her family, not to get nasty with one another.

Also your brother was not born in a mental facility, I am sure. Bit of a difference there dear.

First off, no reason to use caps and get nasty with people who are just simply trying to help. Second of all, when I called the historical society of WV they told me the records are in a warehouse. The other hospital who took over kept those records, this is according to the WV historical society. It is possible that the hospital will allow granddaughter to look through the records, however, it may also be possible that a court order would be needed to allow her to search. And it is not very nice of you to go nasty and say things like GOOD LUCK. I thought we were all in this to help granddaughter and her family, not to get nasty with one another.

I am sorry that i used capps I did not realize it until now. I was not getting nasty. I said good luck because finding and getting records in West Virginia is hard. My brother was kidnapped back in 1957 and there were no records to get because they were destroyed after 10 years. That was all I was saying. I have never been nasty on here to anyone.

I apologize too. It just came across wrong. Hope we r still friends. But yes, it's interesting that the historical society says the records are in a warehouse. All the way back. To when the hospital was used for civil war soldiers. I would love to look through them just because it's a piece of history. I didn't realize your brother was missing, and I am very sorry to hear it hon. That's horrible.

Hon is his case on here? I would just like to take a look at it if I may, when I have some spare time.

I apologize too. It just came across wrong. Hope we r still friends. But yes, it's interesting that the historical society says the records are in a warehouse. All the way back. To when the hospital was used for civil war soldiers. I would love to look through them just because it's a piece of history. I didn't realize your brother was missing, and I am very sorry to hear it hon. That's horrible.

I spend 2 months trecking through WV and my family is from there. I spend 1 week at the State Archives. If the historical Society has those records than they should allow her to search them. I have searched the histocial socity records for Hancock County from the Weirton Steel Mill. Most of the records with personal info had been distroyed except for the weekly news records, newspapers,etc. The Weirton Hospital where my brother was born were all distoyed 10 years after he was born because they had no where to store all the recods. Now they keep them on Micofish.

Here is my brothers case.
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/show/1379

I'm sorry I've gotten busy and haven't been on here in ages. I'll take some time when I'm off for the holidays and catch up reading on all I've missed.

It's that time of the year again. Granddaughter, you and your family are in my thoughts. Please give Sylvia my love and tell her that I really enjoyed the time that I got to spend with all of you. I hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy and happy new year.

Just letting the Sodder family know that we are thinking of them. Happy holidays.

Happy Holidays to your family Granddaughter. I am unsure as to if you have had any time to look through the possible new lead about the Trans Allegheny Asylum. I think it is definitly a new possible lead to this case. I really think u need to get in touch w/ the hosp. who took over the patients, and see if u can look through the files. I think we may have a good poss. here.

For those interested in the theory involving Trans Allegheny Asylum(Weston State Hospital), there is a report at the following link you may find interesting. The date is way off but if a report of this type was kept in 1877 & 1878 (I was impressed with the details listed.) I would be interested in seeing a report for the time period surrounding the disappearance of the Sodder children.

http://www.wvpics.com/w1.htm

I found this site doing a search for family info. I have been reading nonstop since then (minus a bit of sleep) and am still trying to piece it all together.

Hi dear birdie74,
maybe this is not helpful, however Edward Cipriani, I believe was born with complete name of Edward Joseph Cipriani in the 19 Nov 1921; he died in 26 May 1998 Manatee, FLORIDA; he had a son:
Edward Joseph Cipriani Jr married at Pamela Joan Walton in the 20 Jan 1973 Manatee FL; divorced: 28 Mar 1979..
maybe this is Frank's son...
best regards,
raf

The bolded part above is of particular interest to me. Edward Cipriani Sr is my grandfather, Edward Jr and Pamela are my parents.

This story has weighed heavily on me since I first started reading last night. I have never heard anything about this. As the mother of 5, 6 in May, it really hits home and I cannot imagine my children here one minute and gone the next with no idea what truly happened.

I will continue reading with great interest. It's obvious I don't know enough about my family and history, but am happy to fill in pieces where and if I can.

Nichole

Hello all -

Thanks for the messages over the holidays, and sorry for the long absence.

With deep sympathy for his beloved family, Mom asked that I inform you of the passing this morning of her dear brother Joe, the second oldest of the Sodder children, who was returning from World War II at the time of the tragic fire. Please keep the extended Sodder family in your thoughts and prayers. He was a kind and gentle man.

Hello all -

Thanks for the messages over the holidays, and sorry for the long absence.

With deep sympathy for his beloved family, Mom asked that I inform you of the passing this morning of her dear brother Joe, the second oldest of the Sodder children, who was returning from World War II at the time of the tragic fire. Please keep the extended Sodder family in your thoughts and prayers. He was a kind and gentle man.
So deeply sorry for you loss.

RIP Joe Sodder RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members