WY WY - Breanna Mitchell, 28, barefoot, got stuck near Nowater Trail, SAR located vehicle, Worland, 22 Jul 2023

FBI and K9s providing some assistance/leads/direction:

The FBI was able to approximate the last location Mitchell’s cellphone had service before the signal was lost. Though it’s possible that Mitchell continued moving after her cellphone died, the information still provides useful information by indicating where her phone was last in communication with a cell tower before losing power.

The sheriff’s office added that the data doesn’t provide a pinpoint location but a fairly large approximate area.

And:

Washakie County Sheriff Austin Brookwell said K-9 units also found potential leads, and search and rescue crews are currently investigating the area. He declined to comment on where the leads were discovered to keep people from flooding the area and potentially jeopardizing any tracks or clues.

Link to update from the Sheriff below.

***Update on Breanna Mitchell Search***

She has still not been located.

The K-9 and handler (mentioned in my last post) we brought in was a cadaver k-9 out of Cody, WY, whose specialty is to locate deceased humans. This K-9 gave clues that there may have been a deceased individual in a pond in the search area. This pond is located almost directly in the middle of the area the FBI helped us with. This was the only area the cadaver k-9 gave clues at.

After 3 days of pumping water out, Search and Rescue was able to go through the mud of the pond and did not locate anyone.

If we are unable to locate any more clues or Breanna after this search, I will then suspend the search efforts out there. ***This only applies to the search in the badlands***

A K9 and handler that worked Friday night and Saturday morning also showed “some signs in a certain area,” Brookwell said. He added that he currently has search and rescue crews there.

Brookwell refrained from sharing the location, as he doesn’t want individuals in the area who could “possible jeopardize any tracks or clues.”

Brookwell said that he will provide updates when he can. He urged people to stay out of the search area.

A cadaver K9 has been used in the area where the FBI showed her phone last was...

"This K-9 gave clues that there may have been a deceased individual in a pond in the search area," Brookwell said. "This pond is located almost directly in the middle of the area the FBI helped us with."

Continued:
The handler called a diver from Cody to search the pond, but the diver could not find anything after a few hours, Brookwell said. The water has "zero visibility."
Authorities then received permission from the Bureau of Land Management to drain the pond.

And:
After three days of pumping water out, search and rescue looked through the mud of the pond and did not find anyone.

It sounds like they're basically out of ideas as to where to search after this so it may be suspended soon.

"I will be getting in contact with some Sheriff's surrounding Washakie County to see if they are willing to send a few members of their Seach and Rescue Squads to give one final grid search of the area," Brookwell said.

If authorities are unable to locate Mitchell following that search, they will suspend their efforts in the badlands, Brookwell said.

Another article with largely similar info except for the end:

While the physical search continues, half of the patrol department is working on following up on any possible leads from cellphone data or tips received. The law enforcement investigation will persist until every avenue has been thoroughly explored.

Sheriff Brookwell expressed immense gratitude to the search and rescue teams for their dedicated efforts and acknowledged the toll the search has taken on their personal lives. The sheriff’s office will keep the public informed of any developments and appreciates the community’s support and cooperation during this challenging time.

They continue to solicit tips and said:

The search for Breanna Mitchell remains a priority, and authorities will continue their pursuit of answers until nothing is left to investigate.

A cadaver K9 and handler that specializes in locating deceased humans searched the approximate area where Mitchell’s cellphone last had signal on Friday night and Saturday morning, Washakie County Sheriff Austin T. Brookwell said in a Tuesday statement.

“This K-9 gave clues that there may have been a deceased individual in a pond in the search area,” Brookwell said. “This pond is located almost directly in the middle of the area the FBI helped us with.”

Not really any new news, but a little more detail on the K9 alert by the pond.

It was actually more than one dog, and one dog twice, on separate days.

First it was a bloodhound (Tuesday).

Then a cadaver dog came in a few days later (Friday) and alerted at the same spot. That cadaver dog was brought back the next day (Saturday) due to the heat and it hit in the same place again.

Washakie County Sheriff Austin Brookwell said on Friday they brought in a cadaver dog from Park County Search and Rescue and the dog indicated on a spot near a pond where a bloodhound earlier in the week had also indicated Mitchell's presence. Due to the extreme heat, the handler asked to come back on Saturday to confirm the dog's hit. Brookwell said the dog hit on the same exact spot at the pond.

Given they didn't find her searching the pond, even after draining it, it seems like she'd have to have been moved, no?

Unless a diver and 10 searcher and rescue workers that have rotated through during and after draining the pond have all missed her?

A diver from Park County Search and Rescue was called in and spent about two hours diving in the murky, muddy water but was unable to find anything. The BLM district manager was contacted at that point for permission to drain the pond and work began on Saturday. Brookwell said about 10 search and rescue members have been rotating shifts to drain the pond using four different pumps. He said there are at least three members there at night, ensuring someone is there if Mitchell is found.

On Tuesday morning, he announced on social media that after three days of pumping Search and Rescue crews were able to go through the mud of the pond and did not locate anyone.

A little more on the bloodhound/cadaver searches from the same article:

The bloodhound brought in Tuesday indicated the footprints were Mitchell's. The dog also found footprints around the pond and indicated that they were Mitchell's. Brookwell said they used items in the vehicle for the scent for the bloodhound. The pond was the same pond that the cadaver dog also had found later in the week. Brookwell said they did not tell the handler what the bloodhound had found not wanting to influence the dog or the handler.

AUG 3, 2023
[...]

Due to the extreme heat, the handler asked to come back on Saturday to confirm the dog’s hit. Brookwell said the dog hit on the same exact spot at the pond. The cadaver dog’s handler said a return trip with the dog is possible, but it would need to be when it is cooler – likely in the fall sometime.

[...]

He said the Federal Bureau of Investigation was also called in to assist last week and was able to locate everywhere her cellphone pinged off a tower in the Nowater area.

He said while it was a large area, the pond that both dogs tracked to during their searches is almost in the center of the area. He said the area where the pings were is about as large as the City of Worland.

[...]

Brookwell announced Tuesday, “If we are unable to locate any more clues or Breanna after this search, I will then suspend the search efforts in the badlands. I absolutely need to give my search and rescue teams a break from searching.

“If civilians want to go out into the area to continue searching, you may. Please be advised this area is rough terrain, there are many rattlesnakes and it is very hot. Bring water, food, and do not get lost out there, as it is very easy to do. If you find something that appears human-related or possibly related to this case, do not touch it or anything around it. Try to get the GPS coordinates of the item and call the sheriff’s office at 307-347-2242.”

***Breanna Mitchell Search Update***

At this time, there is a private company, Find-911 out of Cody, WY, that will assist Washakie County with searching out there before the final search. This company has k-9s, a drone, and really advanced software to process the images the drone takes to hopefully get answers. Please do not be in the area Wednesday (9th) or Thursday (10th), as he will be working.

On Friday, August 11th, we will be doing the search out in the area for Breanna Mitchell (weather permitting). SAR units will be having a quick briefing at 5p.m. and then will head out to the area. I have contacted Park County, Johnson County, and Hot Springs County Sheriffs, and they all have informed me they will send SAR units to assist with this search. I am not asking for the publics help with this final search; this is why I have brought in different agencies' SAR units.

However, I understand individuals would like to help; if you do come to search, please do not get in the way of the SAR units, bring plenty of water, and do not get lost. I will only be coordinating the SAR units. I will not be coordinating with any civilian searchers. The weather is supposed to be decent as of now, but that could change, obviously. At this point, if Breanna is still out in this area, chances are very high; it will be a recovery and not a rescue. I am asking anyone who comes out to search if you happen to come across what looks like human remains or items that could be evidence, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING! Call it in (307-347-2242) and give the GPS coordinates to dispatch, or find a SAR unit that may be close to you and let them know. I do not have a specific area I want civilians to search, so if you do come, that will be up to you.

This is the last update I will put out until after the search or if Find-911 locates her the day prior.

Thank you to everyone who has reached out to assist.
-Sheriff Brookwell

At this point, if Mitchell is still out in the area, chances are "very high" it will be a recovery and not a rescue, Brookwell said.
1691690788309.jpeg
"I am asking anyone who comes out to search if you happen to come across what looks like human remains or items that could be evidence, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!" the statement said.

AUG 10, 2023
He is asking for residents to not be in the area Wednesday, Aug. 9 or Thursday, Aug. 10 during the Find-911 search.

This Friday, will be a large-scale search out in the area for Mitchell, weather permitting. SAR units will be having a quick briefing at 5 p.m. and then will head out to the area. Brookwell has contacted Park County, Johnson County and Hot Springs County sheriffs, and they all have informed me they will send SAR units to assist with the Friday search.

“I am not asking for the public’s help with this final search,” Brookwell said.

AUG 16, 2023
[...]

Brookwell said the Washakie County Sheriff's Office will not conduct additional searches unless there is a significant lead in the investigation, which continues.

Find-911 is processing all the images taken by its drone and will submit a report to the Washakie County Sheriff's Office soon. Meanwhile, sheriff's office personnel are still investigating call logs and text messages from Mitchell's phone to determine her last known location.

They obtained Mitchell's phone records through a search warrant presented to Verizon Wireless. Similar search warrants have been sent to Facebook and Snapchat, but have not produced anything yet.

"These large companies can take quite some time to get this information to us," Brookwell said.

The final search was a recovery rather than a rescue, meaning Mitchell is believed to be dead. However, that belief is not changing the nature of the investigation.

"We currently have no evidence to prove there was any foul play regarding her disappearance," Brookwell said. "Remember, we have to work on evidence, not on rumors."

[...]

A call by Townsquare Media to the sheriff's office on Sept. 21 confirmed that Mitchell remains missing.

1695487988348.jpeg
The post said investigators had no evidence of foul play, adding ''Remember, we have to work on evidence, not on rumors.'' Sheriff Brookwell also wrote that no further public updates would be issued in the case "unless something important happens."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv
Back