Status
Not open for further replies.
August 12 police stop the couple after a fight
August 24 couple seen in Salt Lake
August 25 Gabby's last post
August 29 BL called parents she's "gone"
September 2 retainer paid for atty
September 19 remains found

This won't be a popular opinion which is why I don't follow this civil suit. The Laundries could not have saved Gabby. They owed no legal duty to divulge that their son said she was "gone", no legal duty to tell the Petitos anything. I disagree with this civil suit. To me it is clear it is not about getting information. It is punitive. An attempt to punish those left behind because they can't punish the person responsible.

Had BL's parents shared with Gabby's that he said she's "gone" she would still, in fact, be gone. did the Laundrie parents break the law? Nope.

Was their failure to assist the Petitos in finding their daughter immoral? Maybe, probably. I do not agree with the civil courts being used to adjudicate someone's morality. I think that is a super slippery slope that I personally find scary.

I know most everyone still following this thread are of the opposite opinion and cheer the P's on as they pursue "justice" for Gabby. I don't consider this justice. It is a pound of flesh - JMO MOO

I will leave you all to it again, thanks for taking the time to read. Peace
I love your posts tlcya. My mind always comes back to Gabby's parents climbing into a bed with Gabby's body, cradling her, cuddling her, kissing her cheeks and nose, forehead and mouth, smoothing her beautiful hair back, singinging childhood songs to her and telling her how much they love her, with their priest or pastor of choice possibly. Before they wheel her away to prepare her for the death rituals. That precious goodbye of their baby girl was robbed from them. Unspeakable cruelty. JMO

GP as Instigator?

@CrimeDawg123
Seeing the actual videos from LEOs' body worn cameras could enlighten us but failing that, we have quotes from a reviewer who did watch them. And rewatched them over the course of months reviewing the case, and able to pause, rewind, fast-forward, take notes, resulting in a 102 page report.

From "Gabrielle Petito Statements to Law Enforcement" on page 5,* Gabby said to LEOs,
- she has a “mean attitude.”
- "to be honest, I definitely hit him first.”
- "she had slapped Brian a couple of times and Brian kept telling her to “shut up.”"
- “I guess but I hit him first.” (<- after LEO asked “did he hit you though?”)
- “I hit him.” (<- "when asked about the van hitting into the curb.")
- "was hitting Brian while he was driving but “not a lot but yeah.” "

IDK if GP was THE instigator, but per her stmts to LE on body worn cameras, she participated in physical exchanges w BL.

I highly recommend reading the report.
* An independent law enforcement agency completed a 102 page report of Moab LE's interactions w GP & BL, after reviewing the body-worn camera footage and interviewing Assistant Chief Palmer, Officer Pratt, and Officer Robbins. The interviews were recorded using an audio recording device.
Thanks for the link. Pg 46,47 has Gabby admitting to the officer that she hit BL while he was driving which is why the van swerved and hit a curb. She said she was mad at him, stressed out and he wanted her to "take a breather" to get away from each other. Brian begged the officer not to arrest her or take her to jail.

JMO

Two young people are dead. In my opinion, they were in an extremely toxic and abusive relationship that went both ways.

Why is it ok that all the money was in Gabby's name? IIRC, at the beginning it was revealed they had both worked 18 months to two years to save toward her dream. One of them worked two jobs. I was thinking it was BL.

Their relationship was certainly not a partnership. All the money was hers. The camper was hers. The dream was hers; the blog was hers.

Now, IIRC she did sell her car to buy the van, but where did the rest of the money come from? Or did BL and his dad build and work and paint to get it into shape? I have only vague recollections of the details. It was established she could not drive it, so why was it in her name only?

Don't you think that if this were turned around and a man took money a woman had worked a couple of years to help him accumulate for a common goal, then had put the money in only his name and could make the dismissive, denigrating remark "She's not good with money" that Gabby said with a bit of a smirk about BL, it would be recognized immediately as abuse.

Since she couldn't drive the van, but it was totally in her name was he along because she needed a chauffeur, someone for the heavy lifting and to appear in a photo whenever she needed him to? Not a partner, but a lackey?

Two years working and planning, but she did not even know how to put her photos into her blog. She had not bothered to learn her software. So, while BL returned to Florida, she stayed in a hotel and, over the phone, worked with her dad to figure out how to get her pictures up.

Seriously? But she was qualified to be in charge of all the money and van ownership?

As posted, LE in Moab did say, had they made an arrest at that time, GP was the one they would have had to arrest. They seemed to think she was also being abused. But on that particular day, he was driving erratically because she was beating on him as he drove. Because of her actions, it is possible both of them could have died that day. Or perhaps an innocent person. It's a good thing LE did stop them. But the level their relationship had reached by that point, the terrible endings were probably inevitable at that point.

Two young people are dead. Both were involved in their incredibly destructive, abusive relationship and IMO the evidence says both contributed to the abuse and outcome.

Both families have lost a child. Everyone in this sad story is a victim and "blame" (if you must blame) has to go both ways.

As for the Laundries shutting down communication with the Pepito family, probably they did know them really well and what any involvement with them would have led to. Sometimes, for your own survival, you must separate yourself from certain people. All these lawsuits and no amount of money will bring either child back. It only fans the nightmare.
BBM. Well said. I also noticed that BL wanted her to "take a breather" because she was so angry and GP got mad at him for that and told BL he was "stupid" because police were pulling them over.

I totally agree, it was a toxic relationship.
JMO

“Mutual abuse“ does not exist; an abusive relationship is between the person being abused and the person being abusive. Defending yourself against your abuser is not being abusive. I am saying this as someone trained as an advocate for survivors of DV and SA.

Brian Laundrie was the abusive one. Gabby “hitting him” is self-defense. We don’t need to have been there to prove that because one person was viciously murdered by being bludgeoned and strangled, and the other went on the run after calling his parents for help getting a lawyer.

Edit: I have included a source. I am not going to be debating this because in my experience, if a person that is not formally educated on a subject is determined to believe whatever status quo they have already been raised with, then not all the academic sources and training in the world will convince them otherwise. However, perhaps someone will read the source I included can learn and it will help them or someone else in the future.
Gabby admitted hitting BL while he was driving the vehicle, he swerved and hit a curb. She called him "stupid." because police were pulling them over. That is not anything close to "self-defense."

JMO

Officer Pratt asks if he had been drinking and she replied stating that “we don’t drink” – Officer Pratt asks what was with the driving as Officer Robbins saw the van hit the curb. She replied, “I hit him.” Officer Pratt says “while he was driving?” She confirms she was hitting him while he was driving but “not a lot but yeah” – She said it was only for a second and said she saw the police car and she demonstrated throwing a punch. She said it was when she saw the lights on in the police car, she hit him (demonstrating again by throwing a punch) and said “you’re so stupid.”

Officer Pratt asks if she is okay and asks if she takes any medication for anxiety or anything. She said no. She said she just does yoga. She confirms she has a lot of anxiety and has OCD. Officer Pratt asks if Brian usually has a lot of patience with her. She said, “yeah but I get, it just makes me upset I know he definitely gets frustrated with me a lot because I have a lot of anxiety and he definitely has anxiety too” Officer Pratt relates to her and gives an example of his current relationship compared with his prior relationship and how if two people both have a lot of anxiety, they can feed off each other and things “spiral” – he tells her he’s not trying to tell her how to live her life but told her to look at the situation she is currently in.

.... I also noticed that BL wanted her to "take a breather" because she was so angry and GP got mad at him for that and told BL he was "stupid" because police were pulling them over.
I totally agree, it was a toxic relationship. JMO
snipped for focus @MyBelle
Yep.
A person telling someone else to calm down rarely has the intended effect.

Gabby admitted hitting BL while he was driving the vehicle, he swerved and hit a curb. She called him "stupid." because police were pulling them over. That is not anything close to "self-defense."

JMO
Nor are those the actions of a woman who is afraid of the man. Wouldn't a woman being badly abused be afraid of the consequences of hitting him and calling him names?

Nor are those the actions of a woman who is afraid of the man. Wouldn't a woman being badly abused be afraid of the consequences of hitting him and calling him names?
This country has invested so much into domestic violence hotlines, court programs, advocacy. This case doesn't seem to be about domestic violence. I find the Petito lawsuit against the Moab officers to be bizarre. Those cops were kind and trying to help.

Gabby made a point of telling the officers BL was kind to her and wanted them both to "take a breather." Her response to him was anger and hitting him. She demanded water. She was definitely the instigator but why?

I noticed that MOAB LE offered Gabby a Gatorade and she declined but did accept water. I'm wondering if she was suffering from high altitude sickness, was seriously dehydrated and didn't realize it. The Grand Tetons where her body was found is an even higher altitude.

When I was Gabby's age, I fell hiking in the mountains of a National Park, badly broke my ankle. It was excruciating pain. Fortunately, it was near the park entrance and a hospital was close by. The doctor said I was dehydrated, and I got IV fluids and oxygen. I think BL's suicide letter is likely true. <modsnip>

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
ITA. Brian's parents reported him missing to LE.

He left a note that he regretted Gabby's death and he wanted to join her.

JMO

“When I pulled Gabby out of the water, she couldn’t tell me what hurt. She had a small [bump] on her forehead that [eventually] got larger. Her feet hurt, her [wrist] hurt but she was freezing, shaking violently. While carrying her she continually made sounds of pain. Laying next to her she said little, [lapsing] between violent shakes, gasping in pain, begging for an end to her pain. She would fall asleep and I would shake her awake, fearing she shouldn’t close her eyes if she had a concussion.”

“She would wake in pain, start her whole painful cycle again [illegible] furious that I was the one waking her. She wouldn’t let me try to cross the creek, thought like me that the fire would go out in her sleep and she’d freeze. I don’t know the extend of Gabby’s injuries, only that she was in extreme pain. I ended her life, I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked, I was in shock. But from the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn’t go on without her.”

“I rushed home to spend any time I had left with my family. I wanted to drive north and let James or TJ kill me but I wouldn’t want them to spend time in jail over my mistake, even though I’m sure they would have liked to. I am ending my life not because of a fear of punishment but rather because I can’t stand to live another day without her. I’ve lost our whole future together, every moment we could have [shared.] I’m sorry for everyone’s loss. Please do not make life harder for my family, they lost a son and a daughter. The most wonderful girl in the world. Gabby I’m sorry.”

“I have killed myself by this creek in the hopes that animals may tear me apart. That it may make some of her family happy.”
“Please pick up all of my things. Gabby hated people who litter.”
Disgusting. The way he portrayed events.

I could say more, but I don't want to linger too much on what I just read.

From the available evidence it doesn’t seem possible that a ‘mercy killing’ or euthanasia of GP by BL is possible in this case. And if something akin to that was deemed likely or admitted, then it appears that could have constituted second degree murder or manslaughter by BL for his actions? (I am not a lawyer or familiar with state law in the jurisdiction.)

One would hope that the case the GP family has filed on the BL family will be successful and bring to light the circumstances of GP’s death and the resulting actions of the now dead BL and his parents as this unfolded. MOO

All of the following in my opinion only.

This is why I find this thread and this legal action brought against the Laundrie parents important.

We have a young man who confessed that he strangled the life out of his partner. We have posters who seem to defend or make excuses for his actions based on their own personal experiences with DV, personal experiences of pain or injury, and a multitude of other factors. We have people who want to lessen the gravity of his offense by laying some responsibility on the victim. We have the offender's parents who withheld information from the victim's parents and LE ("she's gone"). We are given the victim's parents who have suffered emotionally and financially by the withholding of this information - as well as all of the time, effort, and financial investment in investigation, searches, and personnel.

I think this lawsuit is an effort to bring ethics and morals into alignment. If this suit doesn't prevail, I will consider it another endorsement of the decline in our societal norms. I'm hopeful that, rather than extending the grey area between ethics and morality, it will help bridge the gap.

MOO

So far I haven't seen enough evidence that shows the Laundries had the information that the Petito family is suing over. The admission by BL that Gabby was "gone" is just too vague for me.

If this case goes to trial perhaps more evidence will be shown that will change my mind. JMO.

So far I haven't seen enough evidence that shows the Laundries had the information that the Petito family is suing over. The admission by BL that Gabby was "gone" is just too vague for me.

If this case goes to trial perhaps more evidence will be shown that will change my mind. JMO.
But RANCH, I really don't understand this position and hope you won't be offended by my questions -

Why wouldn't they ask him for further details? Who wouldn't ask him for further details? Even if only to ask, "What the heck do you mean - gone?"

And, if they didn't ask, then why didn't they? Isn't it their responsibility to ask? Especially since he came back to them without Gabby and in her van? And her parents were trying to contact them to ask if they know anything . . .

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> ... I'm reading here that many believe that that's all he told his parents.

And, if as I believe, Brian's parents were given more details from him, why did they not share them with Gabby's parents and LE?

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> ... I'm reading here that many believe that that's all he told his parents.

And, if as I believe, Brian's parents were given more details from him, why did they not share them with Gabby's parents and LE?
So lets say the Laundries asked BL what happened to Gabby.

Did he answer their questions or refuse to talk about it? If he did answer those questions did he answer them truthfully? Or did he lie and make up a story that absolved him from harming her.

I watch a lot of police body cam videos. It's common for LE to pull illicit drugs out of suspects pockets and they say it's not theirs. Or saying their not resisting while kicking and throwing punches at the cops. Their caught on tape and still lie.

So maybe BL did tell his parents some kind of strange unbelievable tale about what happened to Gabby and relaying that BS to the Petito family would not be of any kind of help to them or to their son.

So they stayed silent.

JMO.

Did he answer their questions or refuse to talk about it? If he did answer those questions did he answer them truthfully? Or did he lie and make up a story that absolved him from harming her.

I watch a lot of police body cam videos. It's common for LE to pull illicit drugs out of suspects pockets and they say it's not theirs. Or saying their not resisting while kicking and throwing punches at the cops. Their caught on tape and still lie.

So maybe BL did tell his parents some kind of strange unbelievable tale about what happened to Gabby and relaying that BS to the Petito family would not be of any kind of help to them or to their son.

So they stayed silent.

JMO.
They didn't just stay silent though. They refused to answer the Petito's calls and completely ghosted them, and refused to cooperate with LE. In any event - if BL told them nothing, or told them lies, or told them the truth - why did the Laundries refuse to speak to the parents of their future daughter-in-law? Honestly, the ONLY thing that makes sense IMO is that they were trying to shield their son from criminal prosecution.

They didn't just stay silent though. They refused to answer the Petito's calls and completely ghosted them, and refused to cooperate with LE. In any event - if BL told them nothing, or told them lies, or told them the truth - why did the Laundries refuse to speak to the parents of their future daughter-in-law? Honestly, the ONLY thing that makes sense IMO is that they were trying to shield their son from criminal prosecution.
In my post that you quoted I give my opinion on a possible explanation of why the Laundries stayed silent.

So they stayed silent.

JMO.
Totally my opinion for refection:

If he refused to answer their questions, that should have raised their suspicion but, instead, they chose to shield/protect him? If they accepted his silence, i think it indicates a lack of responsibility on their part to help find a missing person - a selfish act of putting oneself before others.

If he lied to them, regardless of whether or not they believed the lie, they should have shared that info with Gabby's family. The investigation of the lie would have at least eliminated one possibility.

And, if he told them the truth and they refused to share it, shame on them as that is so self-serving as to be offensive to society.

MOO

Totally my opinion for refection:

If he refused to answer their questions, that should have raised their suspicion but, instead, they chose to shield/protect him? If they accepted his silence, i think it indicates a lack of responsibility on their part to help find a missing person - a selfish act of putting oneself before others.

If he lied to them, regardless of whether or not they believed the lie, they should have shared that info with Gabby's family. The investigation of the lie would have at least eliminated one possibility.

And, if he told them the truth and they refused to share it, shame on them as that is so self-serving as to be offensive to society.

MOO
I disagree with pretty much everything in your post.

If BL told them nothing what were they supposed to do. Tell the Petitos that? They would say they are lying and covering for BL. It wouldn't help in any way.

In my OP I suggested that BL may have made up an unbelievable story. How would that help the Petitos? It wouldn't.

JMO.

I disagree with pretty much everything in your post.

If BL told them nothing what were they supposed to do. Tell the Petitos that? They would say they are lying and covering for BL. It wouldn't help in any way.

In my OP I suggested that BL may have made up an unbelievable story. How would that help the Petitos? It wouldn't.

JMO.
I agree with you. I think all BL told him was they were taking a break, and he didn't want to talk about it.

JMO

As an outsider to this case, myself included, I am not able to speculate on who might have said what, when, or to whom.

It will be good if and when the GP family civil suit against BL family proceeds, and the involved parties can be deposed under oath. And once and if that happens, maybe what might (or might not) have happened will become evident. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haororg