Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed due to no link>
Where'd they think Gabby was from "on or about September 1" to "September 11" when they became aware of the search for her?

They think Gabby just gave Brian her van for funsies? And was, what, walking home?
Right, Gabby gave BL her van, her cell phone, and credit cards. Really???

This is obviously a MOO theory:

I was just going thru all my old files on my laptop about this case and ran across Roberta Laundrie's letter again. I had forgotten that she had also drawn an image of a bird on the envelope annotated "Remember . . ."

At the time, I did a photo search on it to see if I could discover what kind of bird that might be and if it carried any significant meaning - you know, like a dove represents peace, etc. Well, goog didn't recognize the bird or the drawing, so I kinda dropped it. Until I saw it again today. Maybe because we have a bit more background or maybe because the words of her letter have distilled in my head for a time, I knew immediately when I saw it today that it is a "jailbird." And that the annotation next to it was not a reminder of a fond memory but, instead, an assurance that she loved him in spite of what consequences might be in his future. ". . . If you're in jail, I will bake a cake with a file in it. If you need to dispose of a body, I will <bring - (struck out)> show up with a shovel and garbage bags. . . "

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 4.45.20 PM.png

Attachments

• Jailbird.png
    Jailbird.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 33
All hospice staff have also witnessed the terrible panic of patients who feel they are not getting air. Could you imagine witnessing your own murder, with the monster facing you, watching your face, as you knew you were being killed?
And DV near strangling survivors are haunted by that as well when it happens and when they regain consciousness. Jme

Last edited:
Jailbird Sketch. And Notations?
.... an image of a bird on the envelope annotated "Remember . . ."
....I knew immediately when I saw it today that it is a "jailbird." And that the annotation next to it was not a reminder of a fond memory but, instead, an assurance that she loved him in spite of what consequences might be in his future. ". . . If you're in jail, I will bake a cake with a file in it. If you need to dispose of a body, I will <bring - (struck out)> show up with a shovel and garbage bags. . . "
View attachment 468658
snipped for focus @ExpectingUnicorns Thx for your post. Interesting theory about meaning of the bird sketch, certainly within the realm of possibilities.

Article* you linked has 1 pic w two images on brown paper, 1= bird and 2= "burn after reading" and Caption says "Provided by Office of Patrick Reilly."
At bottom left corner in hand writing: a couple letters (initials? I cannot decipher), and "1/2" and "24 May 2024" and maybe "(DIN 104)".
Another image of RB's handwritten letter has similar notations w date and "2/2", so presumably exhibit page 2 of two pages?

The caption said RB's letter "was admitted as evidence in court." Presumably in conjunction w or after depositions of the L's?

Article reports trial is scheduled for May 2024.

Is (Petito's parents') atty Patrick Reilly prep'ing & numbering exhibits for trial next spring, thus the "24 May 2024" & other notations?

Or do they have other meaning or significance?

Last edited:
Jailbird Sketch. And Notations?

snipped for focus @ExpectingUnicorns Thx for your post. Interesting theory about meaning of the bird sketch, certainly within the realm of possibilities.

Article* you linked has 1 pic w two images on brown paper, 1= bird and 2= burn after reading, and says "Provided by Office of Patrick Reilly."

At bottom left corner in hand writing: a couple letters (initials? I cannot decipher), and "1/2" and "24 May 2024" and maybe "(DIN 104)".

The caption said RB's letter "was admitted as evidence in court." Presumably in conjunction w or after depositions of the L's?

Article reports trial is scheduled for May 2024.

Is (Petito's parents') atty Patrick Reilly prep'ing & numbering exhibits for trial next spring, thus the "24 May 2024" & other notations?

Or do they have other meaning or significance?

Hmm, I'm looking at allegation #20 in the Petito filing:

And here's the Laundrie response. (Both Roberta's and Christopher's appear to be identical).

This response seems to completely sidestep the phone call that the Laundrie's allegedly had with Brian. They neither admit, deny nor claim lack of knowledge.
The averment of CL calling his parents would be deemed denied since it wasn't specifically admitted to. Paragraph 56 covers this. This is standard language in an Answer. Is it interesting that they didn't address it? Yes. Is it legally significant? No.

Two new bills have been filed in the Florida legislature, as a response to the 2021 Gabby Petito tragedy -- when the 22-year-old was allegedly murdered by her fiancé, Brian Laundrie.

Body camera footage captured Utah police responding to a reported domestic violence incident between Petito and Laundrie, just weeks before her death.

The Gabby Petito Act and other new laws proposed in Florida for 2024

Updated on December 17, 2023 at 8:12 am​

Interesting as to the proposed regulations and Act entitled the ‘Gabby Petito Act’ in Florida.

Reading the proposed regulation (FL SB 610), it didn’t appear the domestic violence incident lethality assessment form / process takes into account possibility for police and authorities to view a perpetrator’s prior history and any other related records for an individual? And in conjunction with the latest incident? Not specifically saying it is needed, but it sometimes seems that other health professionals may have records (some HIPAA protected?) with details that could also prove helpful? MOO

Interesting as to the proposed regulations and Act entitled the ‘Gabby Petito Act’ in Florida.

Reading the proposed regulation (FL SB 610), it didn’t appear the domestic violence incident lethality assessment form / process takes into account possibility for police and authorities to view a perpetrator’s prior history and any other related records for an individual? And in conjunction with the latest incident? Not specifically saying it is needed, but it sometimes seems that other health professionals may have records (some HIPAA protected?) with details that could also prove helpful? MOO
I believe if there are previous incidents of DV, those should be available to LE investigating an active incident. History is often the most reliable predictor of future behavior IMO.

Sure, but what is a "previous incident of DV?" A conviction? Just arrests?
Both and I know that answer is going to anger some people. Considering the statistics and the rise in DV (especially since post COVID) I think LE should be allowed to know that information going into a call or a situation where DV has occurred by one or both of individuals involved in the past. DV calls are also some of the most dangerous calls LE responds to on a regular basis.

Here, there was a 911 caller who saw "a man dragging and punching a girl" right outside that cafe they had been at for a couple of hours. Now we know it turns out "they" were BL and Gabby, why didn't the dispatcher tell LE of that information given by the caller? That has always bugged me.

MOO

EBM: Spelling

Last edited:
In my area, the police are aware of prior DV 911 calls to the same residence.
Certainly. In communities, officers may be aware of repeated calls to a residence. That may be information an office has based upon personal experience or talk with other officers, or a dispatcher/911 operator may relay that information if it is available. But what information do they have? What level of liability is there? If an officer doesn't have that information is he still held to a higher level? What data base are people wanting to be required? Some seem to think there is this "Borg" out there of law enforcement information that each officer is supposed to be plugged into at all times.

Certainly. In communities, officers may be aware of repeated calls to a residence. That may be information an office has based upon personal experience or talk with other officers, or a dispatcher/911 operator may relay that information if it is available. But what information do they have? What level of liability is there? If an officer doesn't have that information is he still held to a higher level? What data base are people wanting to be required? Some seem to think there is this "Borg" out there of law enforcement information that each officer is supposed to be plugged into at all times.
BBM. That is wishful thinking. All LE can go on is what they observe and what both parties tell them.

Instead of some kind of "checklist" LE must take time to fill out as well as the time it takes for them to file a police report of the incident, there needs to be more training of LE in recognizing what constitutes not just physical violence but also "emotional" abuse. Our local police hand out information on how to obtain an order of protection that has been compiled by our domestic violence court.

JMO

BBM. That is wishful thinking. All LE can go on is what they observe and what both parties tell them.

Instead of some kind of "checklist" LE must take time to fill out as well as the time it takes for them to file a police report of the incident, there needs to be more training of LE in recognizing what constitutes not just physical violence but also "emotional" abuse. Our local police hand out information on how to obtain an order of protection that has been compiled by our domestic violence court.

JMO
I agree that we should have our LE officers trained in DV situations. But we can't expect officers to be experts in everything all the time. We want them to often be less confrontational, or is it more confrontational. Make more arrests, or is it fewer arrests? There was a time where in a DV situation where there were mutual or conflicting accounts of DV, both HAD to be arrested. I have in my practice seen how that can lead to bad unintended consequences and why that policy is generally been thrown out. Officers have to make judgment calls. Sometimes they turn out bad. But I don't think to Moab police are the reason she ended up dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haororg