Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you & Cedar. I hope both of them are found. And I think the story isn’t going to be anywhere close to what is being speculated on these threads.
I personally don’t see anyone basing opinions on anything outside of observable actions. It’s just a very strange observable action for 2 people to leave on a trip, only one person to return and that person then refuses to help find the other. You could substitute sexes and change names and I would personally find that scenario to be bizarre and concerning no matter who was involved and the video of them being stopped doesn’t even need to be involved in my opinion. JMO.

I agree. From their SM, Gabby did all the trip planning, researched campgrounds (thoroughly, it would seem) The tent and its interior decor say "Gabby did this." IMO.

She was living away from her parents; he was living with his (probably an impetus to go on a trip, but Gabby bought the van, Gabby looked into VanLife, Gabby planned the trip, Gabby set up the SM - which was time consuming).

He drove the van. And, some say he was mechanically oriented so would have fixed flats, etc. He adopts a rather meek, overly calm persona with LE in Utah - it's probably how he deals with "grown-ups" in general. He worked for his parents. I don't think he earned enough to buy that Mustang all by himself, IMO.
I've been wondering what BL's occupation is. What sort of work did BL do for his parents? Do they own a business? Thanks.

This board is moving way to fast to read anything… so I’d appreciate a MSM link….How do we know for a fact that he came back to FL alone?
All anybody really knows is: 1. Gabby last contacted her mother when she was in Wyoming, and 2. the van turned up at BL's parents house in Florida.

I think it was ridiculous the police in Utah spent a whole hour with them for something so trivial as a couple witnessing them having an argument.

And even when the police pulled the van over later on, HE was speeding and hitting a kerb, yet nothing was done about that. Not even mentioned by the police, who then spent a whole hour pretending to be social workers!

Just a quick 2 minute check on them would've been enough, then sent them on their way.

Wow!!!! The whole speeding thing totally left my mind as i was so focused on them discussing GP's behavior!!! You are so correct. No speeding violation. . . i wonder if they ran his license even?

Been study maps today and Colter bay where BL hopped a ride.... if he wanted to go to Jackson ID its 4 to 5 hrs south west and Jackson Wy was an hour away south... would that seems far away from the van to be on foot.... 12 hours walking to Jackson Hole Wy and 75 hours to walk to Jackson Idaho
Odd asking to go to Jackson then jumps out at the Jackson Dam.

In the context of a conversation between BL and Miranda & BFF, all of whom are tourists new to the area, the very obcure very small town of Jackson Idaho 230 miles away doesn't seem like a reasonable request for his as a destination.

In the area, the names Jackson and Jackson Hole are synonymous and the same town. As noted above, the request to bail out at that location may be more related to the location of the van and the fear the route was taking him farther away from it. The alarm at Jackson Hole may have just been a ruse to get out and not disclose his real destination.

My guess is that it's about 10 miles by road from where he was dropped off and the van at Spread Creek Campground.

He could have made it by about 8:30 taking the road, which would have been half an hour after sunset.

I think you are on track for the most part. There’s a previous history of domestic violence between the GP and BL but notes Gabby as the aggressor on more than one occasion. Whether that’s true or not only those 2 know between them. Their YouTube channel has references to him being OCD as well so I think put together they were a powder keg waiting to go off. At this point I think the most likely scenario was they had a fight and she may have been non intentionally injured to the point she died because of it and he panicked, dumped her and left. I hate saying that but it seems the most likely scenario due to their history and ages. The flying back to Florida mid trip is really questionable though, the bit about the storage unit… He also very well could have put her anywhere along the route back to Florida from Wyoming. Hope they are checking roads with toll pay/cameras as well.

OCD does not make a person suicidal. I don't think we've seen any indication whatsoever that BL is suicidal. Have any of his friends or family stated that concern? If so I missed it. Instead he seems very much in self-preservation fleeing mode. He's gone to a lot of trouble to hide and not cooperate, so he's showing no remorse for whatever happened, so I fail to see how he's even remotely suicidal. I just have seen nothing to indicate that. His rather minor anxiety and OCD issues that we know of would not indicate that. He's a "blame the victim" kind of guy. IMO

In the Suzanne Morphew case, the key piece of evidence in the state's case is that SM was active messaging friends and then was never heard from again after 2:47pm EST the day before she was reported missing. They say this is evidence that she was killed shortly after that time. The fact that she stopped responding to everyone and did not access any of her accounts, etc., shows she was no longer alive.

In this case, we know the last time GP spoke to her mom was August 25. LE will know from her social media accounts the last time she posted or accessed her accounts. They'll know the last texts, calls, etc. They will be able to see if there is a change in her pattern behavior - was she super active every morning until a certain date? Was her phone usage sporadic after a certain date? Did everything stop except one text to her mom on the 30th?

If so, that's important. If she were alive, there would be no reason to completely change her digital behavior even if she decided to stop talking to her parents. If she drove back to FL, she would be using her devices as normal during the long drive home.

I'm truly enjoying the view that everyone has of Florida. Like panthers and alligators are wandering all over. Been here since '81 and haven't seen one gator out for a stroll, no panthers either. As for mosquitoes that's a whole nother story. Since human encroachment I rarely see a bear or deer or fox the past years. Personally if he's itching to death from mosquitoes and chiggers and sand fleas it's well deserved in my opinion. ;)
I'm no expert on Florida, but having spent a lot of time in southern coastal Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama, from St. Simon's Island to Okeefenokee Swamp, over to Mississippi, it's probably safe to assume that every small pond or ditch south of Atlanta has an alligator or snake in it. My friend in St. Petersburg, FL, lives one block from the waterfront beach and has seen them in the canals while taking walks there. Another friend in southern Alabama had them roaring outside their house during mating season. Be careful out there!

I was born and raised in Florida and still right here, I have however seen a gator in the woods across from my house, the boy next door was riding around with a small one on his 4 wheeler lol, heard a panther scream many of nights and your right snakes and mosquitoes are much worse but it all depends on where in Florida you live.
I lived in SWFL for 15yrs. Before I moved there were multiple panther sightings with photos in residential areas. Also, a woman was gardening, I think it was Sanibel, a gator attacked and pulled her into the water. She survived the attack and sadly later died from the bacterial infection (gator's mouth). So, it depends what part of FL. A Gator killed a child at Disney. Cape Coral regularly has gators in the canals and sometimes through lanai screens and in pools. Wild Boar have been seen, and cause traffic accidents not far from Naples.

Great post. Our past experiences and relationships affect our viewpoints. It is important to remember this and view information from different POVs.
Thank you. I meant to add my POV / MOO of how I saw Gabby in the hour long police body-cam video.

I feel she was crying over much more than she told LE. That is was from an argument they’d had over “just some small dumb stuff.” Those sobs and tears were from much more than what she said.

It seems her crying was more from being very exhausted <modsnip> She seemed very frightened at first (of Brian? His fear she might say something to incriminate him?)

After sitting in the police car for quite awhile, she seemed to feel less nervous and possibly safe.

From what I know about mental and physical domestic abuse/violence (includes my attendance at many seminars and in-service training)…. Gabby acted just like I’ve seen many times in women who’ve been abused by a controlling, gas-lighting, abusive partner.

They’re told over and over by the abuser that they deserved it, that it was their fault. And if reported, the victim “will be sorry!” Gabby said several times that the argument was her fault, and that she caused Brian to swerve and hit the curb! She admitted that she had OCD and little things upset her and caused her anxiety. She never blamed Brian for anything.

However, Brian acted as though he was always the calm, appropriate, de-escalating one of the two. He said several times that he had suggested to Gabby that they needed to just calm down and separate for a short while. (Such a good therapist!!)

They both acted as though they were totally ok with being separated for the night. Odd over an argument about “some small dumb stuff”.

I was expecting one of them to say…. “Can I give him/her a quick hug before I leave?” ‍♀️

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if he knew anything about water and weighting a body, he'd choose a lake, instead. But if it's ever shown they were actually in Idaho (I don't think they had time), I'll rethink it.
SNP
Spread Creek campground is not in GTNP and the difference in jurisdiction is considerable. Spread Creek is in a National Forest (Bridger-Teton), dispersed, barely supervised, and quite remote, whereas the NP campgrounds are packed at all times and ranger presence is quite visible. I do think it's entirely possible they were driving in and back to tour GTNP (way cheaper than staying at the NP campgrounds too - possibly free).

What's our source on them being at Spread Creek on August 29?

Because unless BL's parents are lying, he's back in FL on Sept 1, which means he drove nearly nonstop (and speaks to state of mind).
My time table has him leaving morning of 30th with 3 full days of driving to be there 9/1...its doable for a 23 year old.

I hope people don't find this offensive, but I read this as GP deciding to be dead - and where.

I should have phrased it" If GP was determined BY LE to have died in Wyoming or Idaho"

I was trying to be a bit sensitive and not declaring the obvious.

What's our source on them being at Spread Creek on August 29?

KSL’s Garna Mejia actually ran into a local man who said he and a friend saw Petito’s van as they were spotting for elk on Aug. 29.

“He thought he had seen the white sprinter van described — blacked out rims, wheels,” said Tyler Valentine. “We all live in this small town, so when this stuff happens, we all take a little bit of initiative and try to look out for things.”

What’s interesting about Spread Creek is that Petito had marked the place as a possible camping area through the Dyrt website, something Valentine and his friend were unaware of when we spoke with them.

LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member