Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm not buying that note, at least not without some better authentication.

And while I believe the FBI claim they were able to recover writings in the notebook identified as BL's even though the notebook had clearly been underwater, I seriously doubt the ink of the recovered note is as legible as what is shown in the Sun article..

JMO
RSBM for focus.

I hadn't even thought about how it looked when the paper had been soggy for days.

*moseys on over to the betting window and places more money on my original bet*

So I wonder in this notebook, did the coward leave a note for his parents?? I can't see how admitting he murdered Gabby would bring closure to her family. Gabby's family knew from the beginning BL killed their beautiful daughter. I also do not see this as justice for Gabby. RIP sweet angel. I wish BL could have been held responsible for what he did to you.

Maybe I missed this in reviewing this thread but does anyone know or have an opinion as to why the coroner withheld info about blunt force trauma until the other day? The only reason I can think of is to verify who the killer was by making sure some detail wasn’t known to the public, but maybe there’s another reason I can’t think of.

Maybe I missed this in reviewing this thread but does anyone know or have an opinion as to why the coroner withheld info about blunt force trauma until the other day? The only reason I can think of is to verify who the killer was by making sure some detail wasn’t known to the public, but maybe there’s another reason I can’t think of.

I wondered about that too. You could be right about the reason but honestly, that reason seems a bit odd to me. I'm sure there were plenty of details that could have been used to rule out the involvement of "confessor types" who sometimes confess to high-profile crimes. After all, the public knows almost nothing about case details from the FBI.

I guess the coroner said what he said with the FBI's blessing but it seems odd. He made such a big deal of his role by calling a press conference and then saying he was limited by WY law in what he could say (to the point there was no need for a press conference IMO.) And now we find out he withheld information that could have been legally released during the PC?

Weird.

JMO

Last edited:
So I wonder in this notebook, did the coward leave a note for his parents?? I can't see how admitting he murdered Gabby would bring closure to her family. Gabby's family knew from the beginning BL killed their beautiful daughter. I also do not see this as justice for Gabby. RIP sweet angel. I wish BL could have been held responsible for what he did to you.
IMO, I think this outcome was to be expected. At least he stated that he did kill Gabby. This way the case is over. No long, drawn out trial for Gabby's family to endure. RIP Gabby.

Yes. I remember when LE was still searching the swamp for BL, so many people were saying he was too much a coward to kill himself, that Mommy and Daddy were funding him, hiding him somewhere, or sent him on to Mexico. He'd never kill himself because he was a narcissist.

Then his remains were found and suddenly he was too much a coward to face the music, that Mommy and Daddy knew he went off to do it, or maybe even killed him themselves.

I have no doubt that somewhere in the processing of his actions, BL blamed GP for making him do it. But maybe after a couple weeks and seeing NS on television crying and pleading to find her daughter, knowing his own parents either knew or would soon know what he did, guilt crept in. After a couple weeks of reliving the horrible moment and contemplating his own future, it all was just too much. Maybe he hated himself as much as we all do for him taking her life. IDK...I can't even begin to guess what went through his mind. But something made him take written responsibility, in whatever form that was, and pull the trigger.

IMO BL didn’t suffer through any of this. The family camping photos show a happy guy with his nephews. His sister sensed no problem and just shook off GP absence with a ‘they must have broken-up’ rational. GP was reported missing on the 11th, BL took off on the 13th. He missed any Petitos on TV crying about their daughter.
IMO what might have changed BL’s carefully planned alibi, went down after LE showed up on the 11th, SB was brought in late that night and the conversations began. I still go back to CL lawn mowing on the 13th and BL being so distraught when he left, and the Ls and SBs ever changing story of that week.

IMO BL didn’t suffer through any of this. The family camping photos show a happy guy with his nephews. His sister sensed no problem and just shook off GP absence with a ‘they must have broken-up’ rational. GP was reported missing on the 11th, BL took off on the 13th. He missed any Petitos on TV crying about their daughter.
IMO what might have changed BL’s carefully planned alibi, went down after LE showed up on the 11th, SB was brought in late that night and the conversations began. I still go back to CL lawn mowing on the 13th and BL being so distraught when he left, and the Ls and SBs ever changing story of that week.
You make some valid points here, but it is possible BL saw GP's mom crying. They held a press conference from their lawyers office on Sept. 13, the same day he left. I can't help but wonder if this was the trigger...

Mom of missing Long Island woman: 'I believe she's going to come home'

Last edited:
You make some valid points here, but it is possible BL saw GP's mom crying. They held a press conference from their lawyers office on Sept. 13, the same day he left. I can't help but wonder if this was the trigger...

Very interesting. On this forum, despite Herculean efforts, a time line for the 13th was never solidified. I do think BL changed his initial alibi attempt, but not due to what he couldn’t take from the Petitos. IMO it had more to do with the life and family he expected to move back in with. He expected a warm embrace? Perhaps it wasn’t there.

We had weather reports, mowing, SBs, CLs statements, Entin input, but never any grasp of what happened that day. BL”going for a hike”, but CL later saying via SB,BL was ‘grieving’ ‘distraught’ , and they ‘should have’ stopped him. Shoulda, woulda, coulda…. And then sitting on it for a WEEK before telling LE. And not to be skipped is the fact that the Ls ONlY told LE after LE came to the house to check on BL after a credible sighting. That was on 9/17 and they mislead (IMO) again by saying BL left the 14th. Even though CL claimed several hours of looking for BL Monday night, the 13th? Then SB goes on live TV to claim he reported it 13 or 14th to FBI? Hooey moooo
I think the household that raised and taught BL still taught him another lesson. Moo

I hope CaL pens a tell all.

Personally, I think he was soulless. A sociopath who had no intention of being placed in prison and chose the easy way out. I was in the camp that thought he was hiding out someplace and was initially shocked that he offed himself. I’m glad he left the journal and also glad that Gabby’s family does not have to suffer through a long trial. There will always be questions but that would have been the case even if there had been a trial.

obviously MOO, IMO etc

Last edited:
Personally, I think he was soulless. A sociopath who had no intention of being placed in prison and chose the easy way out. I was in the camp that thought he was hiding out someplace and was initially shocked that he offed himself. I’m glad he left the journal and also glad that Gabby’s family does not have to suffer through a long trial. There will always be questions but that would have been the case even if there had been a trial.

obviously MOO, IMO etc

Is suicide really the easy way out, as compared to prison? Much like the death penalty, it’s a permanent act that irritates that person from this earth and it can’t be undone, as opposed to possible parole and freebies based on good behaviour. I think it was the right thing for him to do, an appropriate ending.

Very interesting. On this forum, despite Herculean efforts, a time line for the 13th was never solidified. I do think BL changed his initial alibi attempt, but not due to what he couldn’t take from the Petitos. IMO it had more to do with the life and family he expected to move back in with. He expected a warm embrace? Perhaps it wasn’t there.

We had weather reports, mowing, SBs, CLs statements, Entin input, but never any grasp of what happened that day. BL”going for a hike”, but CL later saying via SB,BL was ‘grieving’ ‘distraught’ , and they ‘should have’ stopped him. Shoulda, woulda, coulda…. And then sitting on it for a WEEK before telling LE. And not to be skipped is the fact that the Ls ONlY told LE after LE came to the house to check on BL after a credible sighting. That was on 9/17 and they mislead (IMO) again by saying BL left the 14th. Even though CL claimed several hours of looking for BL Monday night, the 13th? Then SB goes on live TV to claim he reported it 13 or 14th to FBI? Hooey moooo
I think the household that raised and taught BL still taught him another lesson. Moo

I hope CaL pens a tell all.

A couple of things made me go "hmmm" in the FBI final report including the one about when it was made known BL hadn't come home. However, I also thought the overall report was written very oddly. (And the FBI surely had plenty of time to compose it.) For example, it is worth noting two things could be true about BL not returning to the house. .

1. On Sept 15, SB could have mentioned to an FBI agent BL had not returned.
2. On Sept 17, the L's could have reported BL missing.

If #2 happened as the FBI report states, that doesn't mean #1 couldn't have also happened.

Further, the report says the Mustang was "Brian's car." I'm pretty sure it's not registered to Brian because I'm pretty sure local reporters stated they couldn't find any record of a vehicle registered to BL in FL. AND if it was registered to him, it would be part of his estate. It was not listed in the preliminary estate paperwork. I know some people think the L's are underhanded. I don't but regardless, they don't seem stupid enough to fail to list a documented estate asset like a car registered in FL. AND it seems likely to me the L's wouldn't have had just one car. So it makes sense to me the Mustang is CL's despite what the FBI report says.

The report also says "On September 15, 2021, Mr. Laundrie’s Ford Mustang was recovered from the T. Mabry Carlton Jr. Memorial Reserve and Myakkahatchee Creek Park in North Port, Florida."

I guess that's technically accurate. But that's a very odd way to say his parents went and got the car. (And that's when the NPPD mistook RL for BL, something not mentioned in the report.) And the way the report reads, someone not familiar with the facts of the case would assume the FBI "recovered" the car and that's not true.

I also found it interesting the FBI report says they opened the investigation on Sept 12 "upon receiving reports from Gabby’s family that Ms. Petito was missing." I seriously doubt the FBI whips into action that quickly when requested to act by other families with missing family members. And I'm not sure I believe that's exactly what happened here either. So it's an odd report IMO.

Because she probably said two words to him:

“we’re done”

He was nothing without her.
She was his possession.
Her best friend called it.
I guess I worded that wrong. I wonder what happened to cause him to kill her. Did they get in another fight, did she say they were done, what happened the day of her murder.

I think it's more likely that he was optimistic that things would go smoothly for him after the first week passed and he got very little push-back from his family about reappearing in the van without her; but when her parents realized that something was awry and got law enforcement involved, it suddenly became very real to him that he was in big trouble and he realized that the pressure was going to continue to mount until she was found. I doubt the suicide was about remorse; but rather that it was to resolve the tension he felt about trying to get away with murder.

I think it's more likely that he was optimistic that things would go smoothly for him after the first week passed and he got very little push-back from his family about reappearing in the van without her; but when her parents realized that something was awry and got law enforcement involved, it suddenly became very real to him that he was in big trouble and he realized that the pressure was going to continue to mount until she was found. I doubt the suicide was about remorse; but rather that it was to resolve the tension he felt about trying to get away with murder.
I think you are probably right that his suicide was an action brought about by the tension he felt trying to get away with it. Or maybe away from it.

It seems to me he couldn't have possibly thought he was going to manage that, though. He had her van, her debit cards, and her phone (all traceable) in his possession for 3 days while he drove between WY and FL. He left her out in the open something like 900 feet from the road in a busy campground, despite having an entire national park and forest to hide her body in. She had been in constant contact with her family, and even with his attempt to throw them off with "no service," that could have only lasted so long. When her family was looking for her, he wasn't putting on a show of concern, or cooperating with LE in an attempt to ward off suspicion from him, he didn't continue the alibi he supposedly tried to set through hitchhiking stories and fake texts. He had to know it was just a matter of time.

Maybe as the pressure mounted, he realized he had two options; suicide or life in prison?

Could be. Obviously I know nothing about the thoughts and emotions BL experienced. Ever. Much less right before he took his own life. But my suspicion is that life in prison wasn't his primary concern when he decided to pull the trigger. I think he was more concerned about the things that he knew would have to happen between Sept 2021 and his spending life in prison. The public exposure. The inability to withdraw or disengage. The reactions from family. I also think he did feel some guilt. But I do realize none of us can possibly know.
JMO

I apologize but can someone plz remind me: When did BL start sending the texts from her phone. I believe the first one was that they were in Yosemite and there was no phone service, then the Stan text. That way we can know what day he strangled her, and was this the night after Merry Piglets like many have suspected.

Agree. And possibly only way HE too could present as a victim. ?
She was an amazing beautiful girl at the start of everything. I think of my own lovely daughter. Who I adore every minute.
How dare he.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members