Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 *road trip w/bf*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought she texted her mom.
Confused about how Gabby can be in Grand Teton and in Ogden on the same day Aug 25 th (according to Gabby's IG pic in Ogden...butterfly mural)

Same. As I understand it she FaceTimed with her mother on the 23rd or the 24th of August (I'm inclined to believe it was the 23rd.) So then, if they checked out of this Salt Lake City hotel on the 24th, why were they still in Ogden (which is just north of Salt Lake City) the following day? Did they spend the night of the 24th in a Salt Lake campground? One would think you would check out of a hotel and then hit the road for where ever you're going next. I mean it's only roughly a 5 hour drive from Salt Lake to Grand Teton. The butterfly mural is attached to an art gallery and event center in Ogden so it seems they went out of there way to visit. However, it's entirely possible they stopped there on there way out of town and then arrived in Grand Teton that night of the 25th. I'm willing to bet Gabby disappeared on the 26th-27th and those "texts" on the 27th were from Brian. If you caught it in the interview, her mother said: "Yes, we had text only conversations up to 27th..." I think she already knew something fishy was going on before the final text message on the 30th.

Last edited:
Re van ownership.

The van may have been in her name for insurance purposes. Guys that age have outrageous insurance premiums, even with a good driving record.

moo
I made a post where I stated that the van was her van and someone asked me for a link. I have gone back to the beginning of the thread to look for that statement in msm, but I am unable to find one. I may have thought that because it was said in the beginning (in an article that I can no longer find) that she sold her car and bought the van and converted it so they could do another cross-country trip. I guess that that doesn’t mean that the van was only hers. So sorry.

This reminds me of missing Robyn Gardner, a pretty blonde model. Her BF Gary Giordana took her on a vacation to Aruba August 2011, he claimed while they were snorkeling off baby beach she was right behind him and poof she was gone he reported it to Aruba police after many investigations they never found her he was arrested and jailed for two mo, they never found her so he was released.

Just a couple of things I noted when reading this whole thread that I didn't see mentioned:
1 - People living in RVs/Vans sometimes will get a hotel if they aren't feeling well/are sick/have a medical event. That probably isn't likely, but just wanted to mention it.
2 - About the text messages her mom isn't sure are from her... if they were faked by a guilty party, why would they stop only a couple of days in and not keep up with the fake messages to keep people off the trail?
3 - National Parks often have very bad cell signal or none at all. A lot of van dwellers will get coverage extenders or hotspots so they can use their devices, some use it even working remotely while on the road. I don't know how this would interfere with a digital footprint.

2. Panic? A realization that each text could be tracked to the next location/cell tower?

3. Well, the texts to Mom went through - so they had intermittent service. Quite a bit of service near the campground at GT, IMO - and same at Old Faithful. If they ever made it there. Digital footprint will have gaps - but there aren't a lot of roads that tourists would be using - so the general trajectory should be known.

The real question is "At what point did he part from Gabby?" What happens next?

Listening to the presser at the DM link : I'm interested in what the parents said they couldn't comment on ?
I give the reporters kudos for being respectful and wording the questions in a compassionate manner.

It isn't always like that !
I think the reporter (Nancy Grace ?) was too hard on Sandra Cantu's mom for allowing the girl to play freely in the trailer park.
It was obvious Sandra's mom's face was tear-swollen and she thought her daughter was in a safe neighborhood. :(

Mom of missing Florida girl, 22, pleads for help to find her daughter | Daily Mail Online
I know what you mean, but sometimes the parents— like LE need to keep things under wraps for prosecution reasons.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

@wyome, I'm sorry my message was unclear to you.

My post was in response to OP questioning if the couple received unemployment benefits. Again, nowhere did my post cite anything about "a government system failure."

Government defined which services were essential during the staged shutdown of businesses, and I don't believe providing for the unemployed during a global crisis to be a failure. This is my opinion only and it's not necessary for you to agree with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I guess I missed this about her phone belongings. You're saying they are available, presumably with the bf? Can you point me to a source?
No, the OP was saying (I think ?) that IF her belongings are recovered and IF they're with the fiance -- her family and probably LE are going to have some tough questions ?
LE seized the van but who knows if there will be any clues as to Gabby's disappearance ?
Hoping first for good news esp. for her family; and if not -- that there will be a break soon !
Imo.

I made a post where I stated that the van was her van and someone asked me for a link. I have gone back to the beginning of the thread to look for that statement in msm, but I am unable to find one. I may have thought that because it was said in the beginning (in an article that I can no longer find) that she sold her cat and bought the van and converted it so they could do another cross-country trip. I guess that that doesn’t mean that the van was only hers. So sorry.

She says "our van" in all of her most recent posts about it. So perhaps she put his name on it. If somehow she traded in her car for a van in his name only, that's a big red flag. I suspect it was either in her name - or in both names. If that's true, he had no right to just take off with the van.

Well - surely we'll know more in upcoming days, but this is a very sad case.

A close friend of the couple, who wishes to remain anonymous due to the sensitive nature of the investigation, told Fox News that all of the couple's friends are stunned by Petito's disappearance.

"My friends and I are just as confused and shocked as everyone else is and still trying to piece together everything that has happened so far," the friend said Monday.

Petito and Laundrie rekindled an old friendship in 2018 while living on Long Island and "from then on they were madly in love," according to the friend.

On July 2, 2020, the couple got engaged, Petito announced in an Instagram post.

They lived in Florida and both worked at a Publix in the months leading up their road trip while converting their 2012 white Ford van into a camper, according to Nicole Kalanich, a former co-worker.

Florida police call missing woman's case 'odd;' van found at fiancé's family's home after couple's road trip

Good timeline at link

Wow we now know they had conventional jobs outside their artistic passions (which probably netted them extra income). And all through the pandemic, Publix workers were in full force here in FL, working maximum hours and given bonuses for showing up to work and being bumped extra hourly during the height of the pandemic.

Just a couple of things I noted when reading this whole thread that I didn't see mentioned:
1 - People living in RVs/Vans sometimes will get a hotel if they aren't feeling well/are sick/have a medical event. That probably isn't likely, but just wanted to mention it.
2 - About the text messages her mom isn't sure are from her... if they were faked by a guilty party, why would they stop only a couple of days in and not keep up with the fake messages to keep people off the trail?
3 - National Parks often have very bad cell signal or none at all. A lot of van dwellers will get coverage extenders or hotspots so they can use their devices, some use it even working remotely while on the road. I don't know how this would interfere with a digital footprint.

If there's no cellular signal or very poor signal an extender won't give you signal and a hotspot won't either. An extender will amplify signal if it's there and a hotspot will connect to a signal and act as a router, but both need signal.

Mom of missing Long Island woman: 'I believe she's going to come home'

Some things that stood out to me in this article:
•Gabby’s mom shared the couple had been living together for 2 1/2 yrs but would not confirm reports that the two were engaged.

•“I think she was the kind of person who was free,” Schmidt added. “She went where the day took her. She didn’t have a plan. This was a plan, but what was next, we don’t know.

•Schmidt’s husband, Joe Petito, also sent their daughter a personal message.
Gabby, we just want you to come home,” he said. “Call us. Let us know you’re OK. Come home, please.”

•During the press conference, both parents declined to comment on most questions from reporters — following a closed-door interview with a crew from “Inside Edition” at the Bohemia office of family attorney Richard Stafford.

I know what you mean, but sometimes the parents— like LE need to keep things under wraps for prosecution reasons.
Agreed.
And sometimes LE want to keep certain people talking because that's the only leads they have.
Not referring to her parents as I feel they have been very cooperative.
The main goal is to find Gabby !
Imo.

The adult boyfriend is afraid of the father who was a police captain? Seriously? Why doesn’t this adult fiancé talk at all? Why is he hiding behind a lawyer? Personally, I don’t buy it. He was HER fiancé! Now she is missing. He doesn’t want to talk? What’s up with that? Doesn’t he care about HIS fiancé? It looks like he doesn’t care about her at all. He doesn’t care if anyone finds her? What kind of MAN hides behind lawyers when his beloved fiancé is missing? In my opinion, he knows something. He is hiding something. This is a woman he supposedly cared about, but he doesn’t want to help find her at all? Seriously? This male fiancé needs to talk! Something is amiss here.

I missed where it's stated BL is afraid of GP's father/stepdad. Can you point me to where that is stated?

Last edited:
bbm
Thanks again for reiterating that.
I'm also trying not to over speculate; but to go on facts for the most part.

I was unclear if it was just the family who said he was not cooperating.
Like you said, we can't take it too literally as the lawyer may have said to be quiet.
But for LE to officially announce it is big; imo !
LE are sometimes surprisingly mum about cases and it's important that they've made an official statement so soon.
Doesn't bode well for anyone.
MOO.

I have been following this thread since the beginning, and I did a recent search for specific terms and couldn't find a reputable outlet that said BL was not cooperating. I think dailymail had a snippet about lack of cooperating and some social media discussion, but BL is almost absent in many of the articles.

All this to say, I still don't see an official LE statement saying that. Someone else posted it earlier.

Seen several valid points about why BL might be lawyering up, but assuming he truly had nothing to do with her disappearance, how will he justify not being more helpful on providing details on her last whereabouts if she is perhaps lost or sadly is found no longer alive?
I’m pretty convinced he knows what happened to her. It is my opinion. How can he drive that van all the way home to Florida without her? He has to know why she wasn’t with him.

There has been some speculation that this is part of a publicity stunt.

I sincerely doubt that is the case. GP supposedly has a close relationship with her family. A stunt of this nature would cause such unnecessary pain.

At this point, I can only surmise that GP is the victim of an accident or foul play.
It seems every week I read about a death of someone trying to get a selfie at the edge of a mountain, cliff whatever just to impress their social media followers but if this were the case why would he not report this to authorities instead of driving back home?

I have been following this thread since the beginning, and I did a recent search for specific terms and couldn't find a reputable outlet that said BL was not cooperating. I think dailymail had a snippet about lack of cooperating and some social media discussion, but BL is almost absent in many of the articles.

All this to say, I still don't see an official LE statement saying that. Someone else posted it earlier.

I still don't see an official LE statement saying that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173