Resolved WY - Sweetwater, "Bitter Creek Betty", Wht/HispFem 24-32, 213UFWY, rose tatt/jewelry Mar'92 - N/A

is there a longer rule out list on BitterCreek Betty? The one in NAMUS is very short, and I read a news article that quoted at least 27 rule outs.

its crazy to me that an offender would kill two women around the same time and be sloppy enough to leave DNA, and then stop. Could he be dead or in prison?

On 3/10/2014 the FBI released ViCAP alerts on this victim (Bitter Creek Betty) and another unidentified woman found in Sheridan County, Wyoming in 1992 (390UFWY) (NamUs.)

DNA evidence has linked the two cases.

ViCAP for 213UFWY/Bitter Creek Betty.

ViCAP for 390UFWY/Sheridan Jane Doe.

The new bulletins don't contain much new information aside from the confirmation that the cases are related, but here's the little bits I noticed (I may have missed stuff, sleep-deprived)

- The tattoo shop that Bitter Creek Betty likely received her rose tat at is/was near the "Triple T Truck Stop" in Tuscon.

- The Sheridan/I90 Jane Doe is believed to have died in early February 1992 (around the same time Bitter Creek Betty was killed) and her hair was "brown (sun-bleached)". A picture of the shirt she was found wearing is on the ViCAP bulletin. She was found in a ditch on the southbound/west side of I90 5 miles south of the Montana/Wyoming border.

I'm going to post this update on the thread of both victims, to ensure that anyone interested in either case will see the updated information. I hope that's okay.

its crazy to me that an offender would kill two women around the same time and be sloppy enough to leave DNA, and then stop. Could he be dead or in prison?

In 1992, there wasn't as much awareness of DNA. I bet as they continue to test old rape kits that were never processed, they'll find more matches to this guy, whoever he is. But you have a good point.

that is true.

i would think he had earlier victims. usually a serial offender starts off w just raping and may get caught, then decides after being caught to kill victims so he is not identified. and usually there is a longer period of time in between offenses. these two were what, a month apart? they should start checking for earlier than 1992.

In 1992, there wasn't as much awareness of DNA. I bet as they continue to test old rape kits that were never processed, they'll find more matches to this guy, whoever he is. But you have a good point.

Bumping for this lovely unnamed woman. This case seems so solvable. It's almost unbelievable that she hasn't been ID'ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think she may have lost everything. Perhaps her child died or was taken away, and her husband passed. I imagine if she was on the run from her husband, she may have tossed or pawned the ring instead of keeping it. It would make sense keeping it as a memory. She may have suffered a mental breakdown and began a life on the run in an attempt to leave her demons behind.

Perhaps the rose tattoo was meant to be a symbol of their love.

It would account for lack of missing person report, although of course there are many things that could.

That image looks really close, but there's a potential timeline conflict. I found this:

http://trib.com/news/local/casper/j...cle_5c344f71-66d7-5270-ae0a-ef2a350dd56d.html

Detectives visited the artist, who proved instrumental. He remembered the woman, he said, and described her as a “leaper” — one who travels throughout the country hitching rides from various truckers. She was reasonably intelligent, Hispanic, and spoke without an accent. He was even able to describe the clothing she was wearing that day in June 1991: A brown peasant dress with yellow flowers.

Betty received the rose tattoo a month before Andrea went missing. Of course, with so little information on Andrea's case, it's possible she could have returned home (or whatever Humboldt County was to her, was it even home?) and then took off again. The lack of much information on Andrea is a roadblock.

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but has Michelle Marie Garcia been looked at as a possible match?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/garcia_michelle.html

Namus page with more info:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/32602/0/

Her circumstances don't fit with the tattoo shop lead in Arizona. Height is also off, but I've seen it be off by more in certain Id'ed cases, and I do see a resemblance.

Yes, to be more specific - Bitter Creek Betty's tattoo was inked less than a year before her death (as confirmed by the tattoo artist who created it).

Michelle's tattoo was created before her 1986 disappearance (or more than 5 years prior to BCB's death). So she could not be BCB.

Is there an updated rule out list out there somewhere? The NamUs list is pretty scant.

Yikes. It's been over 5 months since anyone posted on this thread. I decided to check in since the other Sweetwater JD was recently identified. I went and read through this JD's NamUs again. It reads that she had a recognizable face yet I don't see any composites or artists' reconstructions, which would be most helpful. I wonder why they haven't done it, or if they have, haven't put it in the public's eye. https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8894 - Never mind, I think I found some of her with an image search. Wonder why there's nothing in NamUs.

NamUs case files that don't have any pics confused. It's one thing if it was skeletal fragments, or if there was no way to do a recon and there were no items found with them, but some of them have no excuse.

Great reconstruction by Carl K:

Rose_Doe_Reconstruction_005.jpg

An actual image is available here:

*Morgue Image at this Link*

http://unidentified.wikia.com/wiki/File:Bitter_Creek_Betty_Postmortem.jpg

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but a vertical cesarean scar would make me strongly consider that it was performed in Mexico. I previously worked in OB, and even to this day, most women who have had a previous cesarean in Mexico have a vertical scar.

NamUs case files that don't have any pics confused. It's one thing if it was skeletal fragments, or if there was no way to do a recon and there were no items found with them, but some of them have no excuse.
I agree with you, Rats. There's no excuse not to have a some sort of depiction whenever possible. I've stumbled across a few in NamUs where there is no picture but it lists a recognizable face, and I'm like, where's the picture or reconstruction? Then there are skeletal remains with several artists' rendering of what s/he may have looked like. Leaves me scratching my head.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iamatwin
Back