Yasuyo Smith Unclaimed Person / NamUs #UCP76817

HorseGuy

Reaction score
Yasuyo Smith Unclaimed

Such a unique name how hard could it be to find her relatives.... VERY

Looks like she had a husband Don with the common last name of Smith. I found an address for her in Marshalltown Iowa. She was a member of The First Presbyterian Church in Marshalltown. (Have not reached out)
Born April 1932.

Gotta be a way

Possibly Yasuyo & Don did not have children, and Don pre-deceased Yasuyo?

I live near a major military installation. It is possible that this lady was born in Asia & came to the US when she married a military man. If his VA benefits were covering her stay in the 'care home,' the VA should have contact information for next-of-kin.

Provided family survived her, of course.

I suggest contacting the church, email is likely available.

Church secretaries Know Things.

We do not sleuth family members, but in some situations find needed information this way. I Googled Don SMith, Marhsalltown IA obituary.

I did not find a wife named Yasuyo, but my eyes are tired from reading...and there are still possibilities.

At a genealogy site I use frequently, there is also a Yasuyo Grimmius listed in Marshalltown, Iowa, with a slightly different birth date.

The site includes naturalization records -- with both the petition & the certificate viewable. At the time of her petition for naturalization, her husband was a Gene Thomas, and they were married in Tokyo. She entered the USA in July of 1957, and became a citizen on May 1, 1962.

No luck using Yasuyo Thomas -- so I have to wonder what happened, there, ya' know?

Grimmius does not seem to be a Japanese surname, either. Numerous people with that surname in Iowa, but none an obvious candidate for her family.

Confused, indeed.

Please let us know if/how the church responds.

(Won't bore you with my person Church Secretaries Know Things tale.)

Last edited:
I emailed the church yesterday afternoon. Let’s see how that goes.
Based on her phone number and address search for her Tennessee home she shared it with an Earl L. Smith. 24 Feb 1942 to 29 Dec 2013

Last edited:
The church just replied. Yasuyo of Marshalltown is still alive.
Wow!!! I’m stunned it wasn't her! What are the chances of more than one by that unique (imo) name living in the same vicinity, but asking about one doesn’t lead to the other?! Hmmm….

I hope you keep trying and your work pays off.

ETA: i see now that the 2 Yusuyos are not in the same vicinity. Tennessee vs Iowa.

Last edited:
Still stuck. Husband was Earl Lynn Smith Jr 24 February 1942 – 29 December 2013

This gentleman is not listed in FindAGrave as far as I can see.

Hhmmm. Earl should be easier to search then Don, especially with a middle name.

Could be a fairly common name in Japan?

The Tennessee lady didn't appear in my usual first-step genealogy site.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omgitsree
Back