You Can't Make This Up - No Discussion

Human remains found in backyard of Jacksonville home after owner discovers ‘toes sticking out of...​

Police were investigating Thursday morning after human remains were found buried in the backyard of a Jacksonville home, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.

MAMMOTH, Wyo. (AP) — Pierce Brosnan, whose fictitious movie character James Bond has been in hot water plenty of times, pleaded guilty Thursday to stepping off a trail in a thermal area during a November visit to Yellowstone National Park.

Brosnan, who called in to the court hearing, was fined $500 and ordered to make a $1,000 donation to Yellowstone Forever — a nonprofit organization that supports the park — by April 1, court records said.

If interested, more at link...

March 14th 2024

Whenever I ask my mother if she remembers the time in second grade when I stabbed a kid in the head with a pencil, her answer is the same: “Vaguely.”

And I believe her. So much about my early childhood is vague. Some things I remember with absolute clarity. Like the smell of the trees at Redwood National Park and our house on the hill near downtown San Francisco. God, I loved that house. Other things aren’t so clear, like the first time I sneaked into my neighbor’s house when they weren’t home.

March 14, 2024

Stargazing is a wonderful way to immerse yourself in nature and it can be even better when there is an astronomical event to look out for – and there is one that only happens every 71.2 years coming up.

The comet 12P/Pons-Brooks, also known as the 'Devil Comet', is expected to be visible to the naked eye in dark skies at the end of March, as long as there are clear conditions.

Updated: 10:46 AM EDT Mar 18, 2024

Whenever I ask my mother if she remembers the time in second grade when I stabbed a kid in the head with a pencil, her answer is the same: “Vaguely.”

And I believe her. So much about my early childhood is vague. Some things I remember with absolute clarity. Like the smell of the trees at Redwood National Park and our house on the hill near downtown San Francisco. God, I loved that house. Other things aren’t so clear, like the first time I sneaked into my neighbor’s house when they weren’t home.

March 14, 2024

Named a most anticipated book of 2024 by Vulture, LitHub, The Guardian, and Cosmopolitan

A fascinating, revelatory memoir revealing the author’s struggle to come to terms with her own sociopathy and shed light on the often maligned and misunderstood mental disorder.

Patric Gagne realized she made others uncomfortable before she started kindergarten. Something about her caused people to react in a way she didn’t understand. She suspected it was because she didn’t feel things the way other kids did. Emotions like fear, guilt, and empathy eluded her. For the most part, she felt nothing. And she didn’t like the way that “nothing” felt.

She did her best to pretend she was like everyone else, but the constant pressure to conform to a society she knew rejected anyone like her was unbearable. So Patric stole. She lied. She was occasionally violent. She became an expert lock-picker and home-invader. All with the goal of replacing the nothingness with...something.

In college, Patric finally confirmed what she’d long suspected. She was a sociopath. But even though it was the very first personality disorder identified—well over 200 years ago—sociopathy had been neglected by mental health professionals for decades. She was told there was no treatment, no hope for a normal life. She found herself haunted by sociopaths in pop culture, madmen and evil villains who are considered monsters. Her future looked grim.

But when Patricreconnects with an old flame, she gets a glimpse of a future beyond her diagnosis. If she’s capable of love, it must mean that she isn’t a monster. With the help of her sweetheart (and some curious characters she meets along the way) she embarks on a mission to prove that the millions of Americans who share her diagnosis aren’t all monsters either.

This is the inspiring story of her journey to change her fate and how she managed to build a life full of love and hope.

"I’m running for me, to be able to say I did something remarkable under the most difficult of circumstances, when the odds were stacked against me."​

Some of the most iconic props in Hollywood history hit the auction block last week, from Indiana Jones' trusty whip to Forrest Gump's assorted chocolates to the infamous ax from The Shining.

But the top-selling item was a piece of debris, albeit one that's stirred imagination and debate for over a quarter century.

"The wood panel from Titanic that saved Rose — but, controversially, not Jack — was the king of the auction, realizing $718,750 to float to the top of the five-day event," auction house Heritage Auctions said in a release.

If interested, more at link...

MARCH 28, 202410:12 AM ET
1711737540996.png

The wooden door panel that saves Rose's life in the 1997 blockbuster Titanic was one of hundreds of iconic Hollywood props, and several from the movie, auctioned off in a five-day sale last week.
Heritage Auctions

Two dogs cause $3,000 in damage to car in Jacksonville trying to reach a hiding cat
Christie Barr woke up Sunday morning to find extensive damage, estimated at up to $3,000, had been done to her car in the driveway. The insurance company towed it away.

[...]

It wasn’t until Barr called the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office and investigators went through security video that she found out the damage wasn’t caused by a person but two dogs.

[...]

Video taken around 3 a.m. shows the neighbor’s cat jump behind the engine of Barr’s car shortly before the dogs go after her, clawing their way into the vehicle. They tore up the front bumper, front fender and two tires.

Still, the dogs never managed to reach the cat, which Barr says survived.

@NYPDnews

As we gathered on Long Island, honoring the life & service of Officer Jonathan Diller, One Times Square, New Tradition, & the Times Square Alliance recognized our fallen officer, & now Detective First Grade, in the heart of NYC, by memorializing him on their digital billboard.

1712001087015.png
4:14 PM · Mar 30, 2024

An enormous asteroid crashed into the Earth about 65 million years ago. While terrestrial dinosaurs like the famed Tyrannosaurus rex were wiped out, many avian animals really began to flourish. Considering that there are more than 10,000 species of birds on Earth, flourish may even be an understatement. Keeping birds organized in a neat family tree is a bit of a Herculean task, since there are so many species and their evolution has been a little unclear. However, some advances in genomic sequencing and analysis are beginning to create a more lucid picture of how the planet’s living dinosaurs evolved.

We were very wrong about birds

APR 1, 2024 3:00 PM EDT

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500