Young Nigerian students gone missing and found in bodies of water in the UK?

Sorry to pull one small thing from your (very interesting and well researched posts) but this stood out to me
What they found was that participants were poor at deciding which subjects were at high risk, which is significant to resource allocation because the perception of high risk correlates to the application of resources, but what they did not find was any racial bias in that decision-making.
BBM
By the very nature of missing persons enquiries, I imagine this would be almost impossible to quantify, as it’s not like you can have a control for comparison.

It’s not possible to investigate a missing person without everyone involved knowing their name and race, so any so-called “lack of bias” would presumably be self-reported and therefore not entirely reliable.

No, you're right of course, although what this particular study was aiming to investigate was whether a baseline of bias existed in hypothetical scenarios before any detailed information about specific individuals was added into the mix. What they found was that that didn't obviously appear to be the case. It was a very small study, though, and it's arguable whether its design was optimal for the line of enquiry at hand. It's also very difficult (imho) to know what would be.

Unsure where to put this..
Nov. 21 2021
‘Long history of neglect’: why are missing Black people still less likely to be found?
''The docuseries – created by O’Brien and Geeta Gandbhir, and directed by Gandbhir, Samantha Knowles, Yoruba Richen and Nadia Hallgren – is thorough, insightful, devastating and galvanizing. The film-makers embed themselves with Derrica Wilson and Natalie Wilson, co-founders of the Black and Missing Foundation. The grassroots organization assists families and rallies communities in the search for their missing loved ones. We see them handing out pamphlets, booking media appearances and sticking it to police departments that are quick to dismiss the concerns of BIPOC families. The Wilsons, who are sisters-in-law, are uniquely equipped to confront such issues, which they commit to after their day jobs. Natalie works in public relations. Derrica is formerly law enforcement. They know how media pressure gets police to act faster, if at all.

In the very first episode, a mother explains that her missing daughter was mislabeled a runaway, which takes the onus off the police department to search for her during the crucial early days when they have the best chance at finding her. The series is quick to point out that that’s not an isolated incident.''

So sorry to go MIA off this post for so long! Have had a very very busy latter half of the year and haven't had much time for personal things so didn't get to read into this thread, but I will take a look at the stuff you guys have compiled, found the stats very interesting and it's really sad another guy was found dead

I don’t know if somebody else has said this, but Olisa was at a wetherspoons at 4am.
as somebody who used to be employed in a wetherspoons last drinks were at 11/11:30.
So it wouldn’t be possible that he went inside due to it not being open?
Again, i’m sorry if someone else has said this. this is my first time posting to a thread here.

I don’t know if somebody else has said this, but Olisa was at a wetherspoons at 4am.
as somebody who used to be employed in a wetherspoons last drinks were at 11/11:30.
So it wouldn’t be possible that he went inside due to it not being open?
Again, i’m sorry if someone else has said this. this is my first time posting to a thread here.
Welcome to Ws znne, thanks for chiming in with that tidbit!

Noting this case.. fwiw, imo.
Aug 2020 rbbm.
nigerian-student-ukriane.jpg
Caleb
How 20-year-old Nigerian student went missing in Ukraine after a boat ride
''A Nigerian young man who just graduated from Ukraine’s Sumy State Agrarian University went missing last week after a boat trip in Odessa, a city in the southern part of the country.
Caleb Obari, 20, attended a yacht party August 20 at the invitation of a female friend but never returned.''

''Alexander Sopelnik, head of Rescue Platform 911 said Caleb was invited to the party by Вера Топалова, owner of the Odesa BDSM-themed bar Iznanka, and that he was the only foreigner among the other nine Ukrainian passengers.

“Now I feel a huge hatred from strangers, thanks to false posts. I get dozens of messages with insults and threats, dozens of indictments and abusive comments. I'm not hiding anywhere as suggested. I did not change my phone number and law enforcement questions have been answered and will be answered if they arise. The grief has happened. Nothing can be changed now. Hope for a miracle remains, but it gets smaller every day. Caleb, wherever you are, in my heart you will stay forever.”

''Though the Ukrainian police said they had opened criminal proceedings, Sopelnik from the rescue platform accused them of unwillingness to search for Caleb, adding that it took them five days to issue a missing person statement''.
Missing Nigerian man found dead in Odesa Oblast - KyivPost - Ukraine's Global Voice
''His body was found on Sept. 12, near the coastline in Chornomorsk, a port city in Odesa Oblast, nearly three weeks after he disappeared on Aug. 20, while taking a boat trip in Odesa.

According to the police, the cause of death is yet to be established.''

"Initially, none of the passengers of the boat said that Obari drowned, the Rescue Platform 911 reported.

According to the platform, Obari’s friends say that he couldn’t swim.''

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim