Yuba County Five

I'm trying to figure out their route that night. Is it a correct assumption that they would have to actually drive through central Oroville in order to get to the Oroville-Quincy road?

Last edited:
March 2024
1711975948253.png
''Things Aren’t Right: The Disappearance of the Yuba County Five explores the bizarre and tragic 1978 disappearance of Ted Weiher, Jack Madruga, Bill Sterling, Jackie Huett, and Gary Mathias in the Plumas

Four jurisdictions of law enforcement would investigate and search for the missing men. Psychics were brought in, and there were strange reports of sightings of the five from numerous people. One witness came forward with an incredible story of seeing the men disappear into the forest that night. Yet every lead came to a dead end. About four months after they vanished, four of the five men’s remains were found some 12 miles from the car, with one discovered in a US Forest Service trailer with plenty of food and fuel to keep them alive for months.

Once described as ‘Bizarre as hell’, the case of the Yuba County Five has baffled law enforcement and the families of the missing men for over 45 years. Tony Wright has meticulously researched this case, earning himself the reputation of being one of the foremost authorities on the subject, and his conclusions are likely as close as anyone will come to making sense of this tragedy.''

I haven't seen a thread for this but it's a very strange case. To summarize a man in was in his car that was broken down and witnessed a car being followed by a pickup truck. After awhile the man realized no help was coming and began walking back to a store he had passed and came up to the car he had seen earlier. The car was completely abandoned so he kept on walking. Months later four of the five bodies were found but no one has ever figured out why they left their car and what caused them to wander so far away. There is more to the story at the link I have posted below.

'Bizarre as Hell': The Disappearance of the Yuba County Five
Thanks for starting this thread, and for the map, @ColyH !
I'm familiar with it.
Not sure if there was foul play, but maybe more like the perfect storm of bad choices that night ?
There are podcasts that have covered the men's case.
I may check out the book by Tony Wright.
Omo.

Trying to establish more precisely where the car was found.. Since there's good coverage by Google Streetview on the road in question, I found a few spots. This one for example:

Google Maps Link

Since there seems to be rocks on the right hand side of the car, I'm looking for places around the area with similar rocks on the eastern side of the road.

PXL_20240410_074834731.jpgScreenshot 2024-04-12 at 08.45.45.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johlar12
Back