Florida - Coronavirus Covid-19 #2

A couple of weeks ago, DH and I were beginning to consider a long-awaited winter vacation. We are somewhat reluctant to board a cruise ship but were contacted by our Princess travel agent and offered special promotions and perks to encourage folks to sail again. After learning that six passengers on a Royal Caribbean vessel tested positive for Covid, we decided that cruising was probably out of the question at this time. We had also considered going to WDW for a week-long stay at one of the newer luxury hotels - not necessarily visiting parks every day, if at all. Accommodations and dining at Disney properties is first-class, and we have enjoyed three previous visits as adults without children in tow. We celebrated our 50th anniversary on June 25 this year, and it is WDW's 50th anniversary. We went to WDW for my 50th birthday, so it made sense that Disney would be our destination this year. That said, we nixed that idea when we learned that Disney is asking patrons to mask up again and requiring vaccinations for employees. Things seem pretty bad in CA, so that's not a viable option, either. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what develops over the next couple of months. If it looks like we might be able to take a cruise or stay at a resort for a week, we'll still consider it. If not, we'll stay at home like we did last winter :(

So sorry to hear this. We have come to the same conclusion. We like to travel in January, usually some place warm. We didn't go last year, and this year is probably done as well. We used to love going on Amtrak, just for fun trips. Going to Minneapolis, Chicago, or Seattle. It just seems too unsettled now for any leisure travel.

DeSantis doubles down as Florida again breaks COVID record (clickondetroit.com)

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis doubled down Tuesday as the state again broke its record for COVID-19 hospitalizations, insisting that the spike will soon abate and that he will not impose any business restrictions or mask mandates.

With the much more contagious delta variant now spreading exponentially, Florida hit 11,515 hospitalized patients Tuesday, breaking last year's record for the third straight day. Hospitalizations have increased 11 times over the 1,000 COVID patients hospitalized in mid-June. About 2,400 patients are now in intensive care.

DeSantis said he expects hospitalizations to drop in the next couple weeks, asserting that the spike is seasonal as Floridians spend more time together indoors to escape the summer heat and humidity...

Now I'm totally discouraged about traveling to Florida this winter :(

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis doubled down Tuesday as the state again broke its record for COVID-19 hospitalizations, insisting that the spike will soon abate and that he will not impose any business restrictions or mask mandates.

With the much more contagious delta variant now spreading exponentially, Florida hit 11,515 hospitalized patients Tuesday, breaking last year's record for the third straight day. Hospitalizations have increased 11 times over the 1,000 COVID patients hospitalized in mid-June. About 2,400 patients are now in intensive care.

DeSantis said he expects hospitalizations to drop in the next couple weeks, asserting that the spike is seasonal as Floridians spend more time together indoors to escape the summer heat and humidity...

Since my hubby and I did not go to Florida last winter we were looking forward to going this winter. I am hoping by November/December the worst of this surge will be going away. Otherwise, I cannot see going to Florida for the winter. My husband will be upset--- but if the situation does not change or gets worse (God forbid) there is no way I will go to Florida.

Since my hubby and I did not go to Florida last winter we were looking forward to going this winter. I am hoping by November/December the worst of this surge will be going away. Otherwise, I cannot see going to Florida for the winter. My husband will be upset--- but if the situation does not change or gets worse (God forbid) there is no way I will go to Florida.

Since you have a place to stay in Florida, you can easily postpone departure until you know the circumstances of the virus. We probably don't have the luxury of waiting until November or December to book and pay for airline tickets, cruise, or hotel accommodations. We would likely have to make a firm decision by early October, but we don't want to move forward with travel plans when Covid surge is unpredictable. What a fuster cluck!

It will be interesting to see if this wave looks like virtually all of the others - up, and back down, regardless of six foot checkerboard markers on store floors. It's like each wave seeks a finite number of hosts, and then recedes. Wasn't there a theory, a while back, that certain people are spread the virus way more than others - like any large outbreak is really driven by a relatively small number of people?

I'm back to being afraid to leave home. I've been doing this isolating mask wearing routine for years as a cancer patient. I just don't understand how dang hard is it to be courteous to others?! Just please wear a mask.

I left the house today only out of necessity. I went to the eye doctor and masks were required. I went next door into Target for 2 things and masks were required. Most people had one on except the kids. I noticed a lot of kids running around without them. Little Trojan Horses as one parent called them online......

I tried not to be in anyone's space but I swear, some people are just oblivious to other's around them. Oh, let me walk over here..... nearly colliding with someone. <insert eye roll>

Masks Are Back On at Home Depot, McDonald’s and Target

Looks limited to city employees in city buildings. During our Winter Surge, Tucson's Mayor introduced a city-wide mask mandate. Governor Ducey's response was "they can't enforce the laws currently on the books - good luck with this."

I really hope good data is kept, because once the Florida and Texas waves recede, and Covid moves on the upper Mid-West, places like Illinois will impose universal mask mandates. It should be as close to apples-to-apples as we will get on the efficacy of masks with a large sample size.

There seems to be no real happy medium, people are either staying home, or full bore, going on cruises, DW, and everything else.

DH and I had fun researching cruises or Disney World for this winter but are back in "stay-at-home" mode for the time being. We had our vaccines in March but don't feel that it will safe to travel to FL given the current circumstances. It's difficult to know how cruise passengers and/or hotel guests would be monitored for Covid symptoms.

There seems to be no real happy medium, people are either staying home, or full bore, going on cruises, DW, and everything else.

I always wonder about the people I see, trying to find that happy medium. They are the ones in enclosed spaces, teeming with a deadly, airborne, aerosol pathogen, with a cloth or medical mask for protection. I'm always curious about their thought process. If I had chosen to avoid Covid, I would have filled the moat and pulled up the draw bridge 18 months ago. It seems unbearably stressful to both worry AND expose one's self to the virus.

I always wonder about the people I see, trying to find that happy medium. They are the ones in enclosed spaces, teeming with a deadly, airborne, aerosol pathogen, with a cloth or medical mask for protection. I'm always curious about their thought process. If I had chosen to avoid Covid, I would have filled the moat and pulled up the draw bridge 18 months ago. It seems unbearably stressful to both worry AND expose one's self to the virus.

LOL! Too funny :D

On Saturday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 23,903 new COVID-19 cases on Friday. The day before was another record-breaker: 22,783 new novel coronavirus cases.

Saturday’s data amounts to the highest single-day case count in Florida since the pandemic began last year as the state continues record-breaking hospitalizations for the sixth straight day in a row.

On Saturday, the state recorded 13,747 hospitalizations related to COVID, with 2,750 patients in intensive care units statewide.

Florida, which makes up about 6.5% of the U.S. population, accounted for 19.1% of the country’s new cases on Friday, based on data the state is reporting to the CDC. The state’s seven-day average of new cases was 19,250, as of Friday, up from a seven-day average of 2,476 on July 6, a 677.5% increase, stemming from the highly contagious delta variant.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253335513.html#storylink=cpy

At South Florida children’s hospitals in recent weeks, emergency room doctors have seen more symptomatic children than they did during the surges in spring and summer of 2020, said Dr. Ronald Ford, chief medical officer for Memorial Healthcare System’s Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital in Hollywood.

“In our previous iteration of the pandemic, it was more they’re positive but they’re not sick or minimally sick,” Ford said of the pandemic’s changing impact on children. “This is different. ... There’s a much higher percentage of pediatric patients becoming infected and symptomatic.”

The number of patients presenting at Memorial Health and Joe DiMaggio Children’s emergency rooms with COVID also has exploded, Ford said, from 23 in June to 240 in July, a nearly 1,000% increase.

“The rate of rise has been really more than what we in the children’s hospital have seen at any point in time in this pandemic,” Ford said. “That to me is concerning.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253250073.html#storylink=cpy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HOLLYMOORE73
Back