GUILTY MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* *teen and both parents guilty* #7

I wonder if/how his lifestyle will change in the new facility.

Less school work. The juveniles at Thumb get alot of attention for school work, most haven't completed HS.

He is a level 2 which gives him alot of freedom out of his cell but the Oaks housing unit has a special program if he needs protective custody.

He could be put away from general pop but not be locked down 23 hours.

2 Cents

that is a great phrase- and so true

I should have amplified a bit: After listening to his nasty threats made towards the prosecutor, I think it gives some insight into his persona-- he sounds like a bully and aggressive and I imagine he was like that with his wife and son-- would not make for a happy household-- He knew his calls were being recorded and he did not care one bit--- in fact he wanted the prosecutor to know he was threatening her ( oops my bad: I meant to say VENTING!!!)
Before the jail calls were released it was suggested somewhere that he may have been venting about his HOA……lol….maybe he was just upset about his HOA and Karen McDonald was catching strays. We’ll never know. It will remain a mystery as these things are so hard to figure out.

/sarcasm

Mass shooter Ethan Crumbley asked his parents for help appealing his life sentence, but they refused to disclose documents that he said would strengthen his case, according to court documents.

Crumbley, who was 15 when he opened fire at Oxford High School in Michigan, killing four classmates and injuring seven other people, asked an Oakland County circuit judge on May 10 for pre-sentencing investigation reports used in the involuntary manslaughter trials of Jennifer and James Crumbley that include information about their home and family life...

The records Ethan Crumbley requested would shed light on his upbringing and possible mental state while he was growing up, which could help his appeal, his lawyers said in the May 10 court filing.

But in a response filed on May 14, James Crumbley urged the judge to deny the motion, saying his son could inform his legal team himself about his early home life...

Mass shooter Ethan Crumbley asked his parents for help appealing his life sentence, but they refused to disclose documents that he said would strengthen his case, according to court documents.

Crumbley, who was 15 when he opened fire at Oxford High School in Michigan, killing four classmates and injuring seven other people, asked an Oakland County circuit judge on May 10 for pre-sentencing investigation reports used in the involuntary manslaughter trials of Jennifer and James Crumbley that include information about their home and family life...

The records Ethan Crumbley requested would shed light on his upbringing and possible mental state while he was growing up, which could help his appeal, his lawyers said in the May 10 court filing.

But in a response filed on May 14, James Crumbley urged the judge to deny the motion, saying his son could inform his legal team himself about his early home life...
The parents may be filing their own appeals, and so the pre-sentence reports that EC's attorneys want may be a conflict of interest.

A fundraising campaign to create a public garden in Oxford in memory of the four students fatally shot at Oxford High School in 2021 is underway, and organizers want to raise $50,000 by June 21 to qualify for matching funds from the state.

"Hana’s Garden," named for Hana St. Juliana, 14, will honor her and the three victims of the Nov. 30 2021 shooting, the Michigan Economic Development Corporation said in a recent news release. The garden's design concept will center "four," representing the four lives lost...

"The two motions, filed Friday in Oakland County Circuit Court, also argue that Crumbley's earlier attorneys were not effective in investigating his "cognitive-adaptive deficits" and other mitigating factors in his case..."

All the more reason he stays in prison, since these deficits won't be going away. While IMO his parents are also responsible, it doesn't mean he can be rehabilitated nor that he should walk free someday.

"The two motions, filed Friday in Oakland County Circuit Court, also argue that Crumbley's earlier attorneys were not effective in investigating his "cognitive-adaptive deficits" and other mitigating factors in his case..."

All the more reason he stays in prison, since these deficits won't be going away. While IMO his parents are also responsible, it doesn't mean he can be rehabilitated nor that he should walk free someday.
Quoted from above Detroit News article:
...At his October 2022 hearing admitting guilt, Crumbley answered questions posed to him by the judge. Paulette Michel Loftin, Crumbley’s lawyer, said after the 26-minute hearing that the shooter was remorseful and said the plea was his idea.

Ouvry also wrote that the shooter's school records showed evidence of cognitive and "adaptive" impairments, and his report cards showed “significant learning dysfunction across his school years.” He also had functioning deficits in communication, social skills, practical skills and motor skills, she wrote.

An expert to whom the State Appellate Defender Office said prenatal alcohol exposure could be an explanation for the shooter’s dysfunctions and said testing is warranted to diagnose or rule it out. The shooter’s attorneys failed to explore this angle, as well as explore red flags in his school records and conduct an independent investigation into his family and home environment, according to the motion to withdraw his plea.

The shooter's mother, Jennifer Crumbley, was pregnant with him during her wedding to his father, James Crumbley, and two witnesses said they saw her binge drinking before and during the wedding, according to the motion.

A witness also said Jennifer allegedly admitted to drinking on her honeymoon while she was pregnant and said it "wouldn’t hurt the fetus because it was so small,” according to the motion to correct an invalid sentence. She was about seven weeks pregnant with her son at her wedding, according to the filing.

Had his attorneys explored this angle, it could have made a difference in the shooter’s decision to waive his right to a trial, according to the motion. Since they did not pursue any neuropsychological testing, the extent of any impairments he may have is unknown, Ouvry wrote.

“(The shooter) believed there was something wrong with his brain and wanted his brain ‘scanned’ to find out what is wrong,” Ouvry wrote. “Ethan should have been advised of possible defenses at trial before he made the solemn decision to move from presumed innocent to convicted. This advice should have included information about his own history, mental illness, cognitive and adaptive impairments that related to his perception and the formation of the intent involved in his crimes. Had he been properly advised, he would not have entered a plea.”...

Reading this makes me more angry with Ethan's parents, especially his mother. Unless his parents refused assistance from school personnel, Ethan's teachers should have placed him in special classes or provided other assistance for his learning issues. Maybe LWOP isn't the best punishment for this young man who seems to have serious emotional, intellectual, mental, and social deficiencies. That said, given the severity of his mental health issues and cognitive-adaptive deficits, I don't see much hope for rehabilitation. JMO

Quoted from above Detroit News article:
...At his October 2022 hearing admitting guilt, Crumbley answered questions posed to him by the judge. Paulette Michel Loftin, Crumbley’s lawyer, said after the 26-minute hearing that the shooter was remorseful and said the plea was his idea.

Ouvry also wrote that the shooter's school records showed evidence of cognitive and "adaptive" impairments, and his report cards showed “significant learning dysfunction across his school years.” He also had functioning deficits in communication, social skills, practical skills and motor skills, she wrote.

An expert to whom the State Appellate Defender Office said prenatal alcohol exposure could be an explanation for the shooter’s dysfunctions and said testing is warranted to diagnose or rule it out. The shooter’s attorneys failed to explore this angle, as well as explore red flags in his school records and conduct an independent investigation into his family and home environment, according to the motion to withdraw his plea.

The shooter's mother, Jennifer Crumbley, was pregnant with him during her wedding to his father, James Crumbley, and two witnesses said they saw her binge drinking before and during the wedding, according to the motion.

A witness also said Jennifer allegedly admitted to drinking on her honeymoon while she was pregnant and said it "wouldn’t hurt the fetus because it was so small,” according to the motion to correct an invalid sentence. She was about seven weeks pregnant with her son at her wedding, according to the filing.

Had his attorneys explored this angle, it could have made a difference in the shooter’s decision to waive his right to a trial, according to the motion. Since they did not pursue any neuropsychological testing, the extent of any impairments he may have is unknown, Ouvry wrote.

“(The shooter) believed there was something wrong with his brain and wanted his brain ‘scanned’ to find out what is wrong,” Ouvry wrote. “Ethan should have been advised of possible defenses at trial before he made the solemn decision to move from presumed innocent to convicted. This advice should have included information about his own history, mental illness, cognitive and adaptive impairments that related to his perception and the formation of the intent involved in his crimes. Had he been properly advised, he would not have entered a plea.”...

Reading this makes me more angry with Ethan's parents, especially his mother. Unless his parents refused assistance from school personnel, Ethan's teachers should have placed him in special classes or provided other assistance for his learning issues. Maybe LWOP isn't the best punishment for this young man who seems to have serious emotional, intellectual, mental, and social deficiencies. That said, given the severity of his mental health issues and cognitive-adaptive deficits, I don't see much hope for rehabilitation. JMO
BDE, as I have said in a few previous posts--I don't care what they do with him or for him as long as he is never allowed to move among society. Rehab, IMO, is not a reasonable option for Ethan that will provide safety for others.

Reading this makes me more angry with Ethan's parents, especially his mother.

RSBM.
I am surprised that he wasn't automatically required to receive neuro-psychological testing, as a teenager charged with a school shooting. Since it wasn't required, is it also true that none of his attorneys pursued such testing? If none did, I wonder why not?

He was failed by his parents even before he was born. I wonder if fetal alcohol spectrum disorder is a possible diagnosis for him, given what you quoted? All IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnswersFound
Back