OK OK - Cynthia Kinney, 16, Osage, 23 June 1976

Dearest friend. Thank you for shareing first-hand what you know. You are exactly right. My husband and brother-inlaw chased "moonies" with no results. The entire family spent much time and money, with no sucess.

If you are who I think you are, you were her VERY best friend. I beleive one day, we are going to find out what happened to her. The technology is there. I also beleive the hands of God are over us.

I also was haunted by this. I have known her family most of my life. Especially her cousins. I was a young girl when it happened. But, it really touched me. My uncle helped in the search. He was also on the police force.

I am so thankful, that everyone has been so supportive. I am hopeing somehow this can be solved, and the truth can come out. Whoever hurt her, needs to be stopped. If they did it once, they could do it again.

Only the best to all of you. Your friend,
Sooner

I have been sorting through all the information I can find on Cindy. I spent much of the day in the Tulsa library looking through microfilm. I was surprised to find only one small article in the Tulsa World on Cindy. Pawhuska did a better job covering it. Sadly, there was not a picture of Cindy or even a description of her. It is a shame. We have not gone through all of the microfilm yet. We are still looking through August 1976. If they had only posted a picture, who knows?????

They actually did do a HUGE write-up about Pawhuska on June 28, 1976 ( Just days after Cindy vanished) all about the Calvacade. There was also days of coverage on some prison escapees. Details about their search for them. It is odd this happened around the same time Cindy dissapeared. They were finally found, but were nowhere near Pawhuska.

Thank you guys for ALL your support,
Sooner

Well, it looks as if we are right back where we started from. We have no more information than we did, in the beginning. Our only real hope.... is for someone to come forward with some information. We are still convinced that one day, there will be some justice for Cindy.

I am 100% sure that fear30 is my mom. Even to this day, I can tell my mom is effected by this event. She blames herself for this because she was a few minutes late in picking her up. In downtown Pawhuska, as she drives down the main road, she often ponders as she slows a bit at the old laundromat with a disdainful look on her face. She always tells me that she always looks for her to this day, hoping that she would recognize her face in a crowd of people, sometimes in different states. She also forbids my two sisters and I from ever stepping foot in a laundromat. I am very sad for my mom to have been through this. Losing her best friend flipped a switch, and I know my mom is not the same person now then she was in 1976. Thank you all for your concern.

Last month marked the 25 year anniversary of the disappearance of Cynthia Dawn Kinney.

Does anyone know of any recent articles or press coverage?

When Royal Russell Long abducted his last two victims one escaped. My family had the chanse to speak with her at the court proceeding when he was charged with my sister and her frineds' murder Charlotte and Cinda Pallett. The girls said he smoked pott the entire time he raped and brutally beat the two. He abducted Charlotte and Cinda from Oklahoma City. I wish we could find out if he was in the area at the time Cindy was abducted. Most of the girls he was suspected of abducting were never found my sis and her friend included. He was known to work at fairs, caranivals, was a long haul truckers and I've heard also in the oil industry. He was suspected to have kidnapped from rodeos as well. I will ask the DA that was on my sisters case if he was ever in construction.

Very odd case. I am from a small town, too and yet, I don't get how a 16 year old was left alone like that by herself. People were far too trusting years ago.

Going by the witness of a man and a woman, potential Kansas license plate and given the proximity to Wichita I ultimately think of David and Donna Courtney. They were finally caught in late 79 or early 80 with the kidnapping and murder of Tamara T. With tamara they took her to OK at some point then back to KS

They were involved in the disappearance of Mary P Mar 7 in NOLA after that they went back to KS. Will have to do some research and see if their were any descriptions of their vehicle.

It was mentioned up thread about news articles not having a photo of Cynthia I did find a very large Reward ad with a photo in Pennsylvania. Is it me having tunnel vision to find it strange to have an ad in a place 1000 miles away from where Cynthia was last seen.. Or does this ad somehow relate back to the the theory of Cynthia being taken by a religious cult and this may have been a likely area of possibility where she may be? Or did the family just come upon someone in PA whom took a great interest into Cynthia's disappearance a Good Samaritan of sorts. Have collected several ads however none were this large and the only one I have found thus far that included a photo ... this included the surrounding areas of Osage Co and that is states included
Capture.JPG

OK – Cynthia “Cyndi/Cindy” Dawn Kinney, W/F, 16, Pawhuska, Osage Co, 23 Jun 1976

Cynthia “Cyndi/Cindy” Dawn Kinney

1976.JPG

Missing From: Pawhuska, Osage County, Oklahoma

Physical/Clothing/Medical
Race:
White
Sex: Female
DOB: 01/16/60
Height: 5’1” (61”)
Weight: 97 lbs.
Hair: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Clothing: Peach blouse and blue jeans
Jewelry:
Characteristics
/Medical/Scars: Pierced ears
Transportation:
Fingerprint Status
: Available
Dental Status: Available
DNA Status: Available

Circumstances:
Cynthia was last seen on Wednesday, June 23rd, 1976, at @ 9:30 am witnesses stated she had gotten into a 1965/66 Beige/Caramel (Faded) Four Door Plymouth Belvedere with two people at the Osage Laundromat on Main Street.

Cynthia’s purse, drink and ½ eaten sandwich were found inside the laundromat

(3) people were inside the laundromat at the time of Cynthia’s disappearance, unsure whether any of the (3) provided information to LE.

There have been (2) eye witness accounts of the suspects seen at the laundromat a bit confusing.

(1) two wide eyed women one 26-30 the other appeared younger (2) a man and a woman. A witness from the bank across the street provided descriptions of the suspects. LE prepared composite drawings of a man and were working on a drawing of the two women believed to have left with Cynthia.

I for one have not seen either of the drawings, but I am searching for them.

One of the eye witness accounts stated that a car parked in front of the laundromat at @ 9:00 am two persons exited the vehicle bringing several baskets inside. Approximately 30 mins later one of the persons carried out baskets placed them in the back seat of the car entered the drivers side then Cynthia and another person came out of the laundromat and entered the car from the passenger side.

At the time of Cynthia's disappearance there was a bank under construction across the street from the laundromat. Construction workers were interviewed and background checks performed nothing of prudent information was found.

In 1976 a $ 3000 reward was offered then increased to a $ 10,000 reward in 1979 for any tips that could lead to the where a bout’s of Cynthia living or deceased. The reward offering was covered through several newspapers however still Cynthia remained missing.

There were reports of a girl matching Cynthia’s description traveling through southern Kansas with members of a religious cult. The reports were checked out however LE did not find her nor believe she was with any cult.

In 1991 a psychic counselor out of Tulsa reported that Cynthia’s body along with (2) other women from Sedan, KS (Names unknown) would be found in area 20 miles north of Pawhuska. Investigator Brown had also received a call from a woman, claiming Hobert Jess “Punch” Green was talking with Cynthia minutes before she disappeared.

Green was serving a life sentence in the Missouri State Penitentiary for murdering his 20 month old son in 1985 and was also being investigated for the disappearance of his wife Maxine Green.

A farm once owned by Green was searched north of Pawhuska in hopes of finding Cynthia and also potentially revealing more information on the disappearance of Maxine Green. After days of searching no body nor evidence was found in connection to the disappearance of Cynthia.

What Happened to Cyndi and Where is She!!!!!!

Investigating Agencies:
Osage County Sheriff’s Office
900 South St Paul Avenue
Bowring, OK 74056
Tele: 918.287.3535
MP Case # 35276
Web: Osage County Sheriffs Office

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
Tele: 405.372.1516
MP Case # M76-380
Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation - Investigative

Information Sources:
NAMUS
MP Case # 4576: Missing Person Case
Case Manager: Michael Nance
Tele: 918.527.0080
E-Mail: Michael.Nance@unthsc.edu

NCMEC # 1165424

NCIC # M-078584686

The Doe Network 1365DFOK - The Doe Network: Case File 1365DFOK

The Charley Project - Cynthia Dawn Kinney – The Charley Project

The California Department of Justice - Cynthia Dawn Kinney

News
06/29/76 - Ada Evening News
06/29/76 – Wichita Falls Times
04/15/77 – Philadelphia Daily News
09/02/76 – The Salina Journal
06/25/78 - Joplin Globe
11/26/79 – The Manhattan Mercury
11/26/79 – The Springfield Leader
11/27/79 - Garden City Telegram
11/21/10 – Original Buffalo Dale
06/26/91 – Tulsa World, Archives
07/08/91 – Tulsa World, Archives
06/23/18 – For the Lost Blog
Hobert J Green - FindACase™ | 09/20/89 HOBERT J. GREEN v. STATE MISSOURI

It's interesting you posted that the reward poster you found was published in PA.
Cyndi went missing almost exactly a year after Wendy Eaton. She disappeared from PA in May of 1975 and has almost the same exact height, weight, features and age. And she was believed to have maybe been abducted by a religious cult as well, with a sighting a few months later. Their cases appear to have some similarities.

I am following this case, along with a few others. I will keep looking for updates. Thank you Sooner for your time.

Thank you again guys. There were no snack shops down the street. There was a little gift store at the time, the little old lady working there was a real sweetheart. Unfortunatly, her vision was not good. She was a very open and honest person. Sadly, she did not notice anything.

Cyndi did not work nights, she worked early morning. She would go in, of a morning. My mother-inlaw would come in shortly after. Cyndi was not alone for long.

Kansas is only 20 minutes from Pawhuska. So, it would be possible. It is a straight shot.

As for my own personal theories. I have two. I do not have any evidence, but it is just a couple of thoughts.

1. The bank was being built across from the laundrymat when this happened. Some construction worker might have taken her. They were guys from all over. (contractors).

2. She witnessed somebody drying marijuana in a dryer.
Osage county at that time was a wild place to live. Small towns often have a lot of coruption, I am going to leave it at that. You can fill in the blanks. Some of these things still go on.

I hope someday to be able and get media coverage on her. But, I cannot do that until Cyndi's parents are okay with it. Cyndi's mom is not doing well at all. Please keep her in your prayers. She has quit taking her chemotheropy.
Until the family says it is okay, I will search quietly. I often pray someone else would pick up the story and run with it. This way....it would not be one of us. I am just not sure if Don and Markie could handle it.

Thank you guys for everything,
Sooner

I’m from a nearby town and grew up hearing the story of Cyndi. She has been on my mind a lot lately because I have been listening to the Crime Junkie podcast. I used to work at the ME’s office and we dealt with lots of unidentified bodies and that piqued my interest in the missing and what torture their families must be experiencing. I hope that one day we find out what happened and possibly find her. Things like this never have closure but to be able to add a period to the end of the story would surely help.

kinney_cynthia.jpg

On June 23, 1976, Cynthia “Cyndi” Dawn Kinney went missing from Pawhuska. Cyndi was a 16 year old, 5’ 1” 97 lbs, straight chin length brown haired, brown eyed, Junior in high school during the summer of ‘76. Cyndi had a peach colored blouse and blue jeans at work at the Osage Laundromat, that was owned by her aunt and uncle. Witnesses last saw Cyndi at approximately 9:30 am. There was her purse, drink, and a half eaten donut left in the laundromat.

Witnesses state she got into a faded beige 1965 Plymouth Belvedere. This is were the witness accounts differ, one of the accounts states that the car was occupied by one man and one women, the other states the car had two women in the 20s’ inside the vehicle.

In 1991, a witness came forward, stating Cyndi was seen with Hobart Green minutes before she disappeared. Green pleased guilty in 1986 for second degree murder of his infant son. Green is also a suspect in his ex wife, Maxine Beatrice Green’s disappearance 15 years before Cyndi’s disappearance. Maxine was never found and charges have never been charged. Authorities have never verified if Green was in fact with Cyndi or whether he is even a suspect.

Several reported sighting where reported, with her supposedly traveling around Kansas with a religious group. This was never confirmed.

By all accounts Cyndi was a popular student. She made good grades, and had just made the cheerleading team. Authorities classify her disappearance as missing under suspicious circumstances and possible taken against her will.

If you have any information on Cyndi’s disappearance please contact Osage County Sheriff’s Office at (888)287-3150.

Information resource(s):

NamUs #MP4576

Cynthia Dawn Kinney – The Charley Project

Cynthia Dawn Kinney — Oklahoma Cold Cases

Anyone ever hear any rumors about a local man , who was a police officer at time of disappearance who was a "close friend" of the family and later went on to purchase and own the laundrymat possibly being involved? Always thought it was a little strange and I heard some rumors but didnt know if those were just rumors or something more?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catmom953
Back