UK, Scotland & Ireland - Coronavirus COVID-19

Vaccinated Britain Is About to Face Its Biggest Covid Test Yet

“The U.K. looks to be in an enviable place as a third wave of coronavirus infections sweeps across Europe. A rapid vaccine rollout and weeks of lockdown to suppress what the continent refers to as the “English strain” has seen deaths and hospitalizations plummet.

Yet concerns are growing inside the government in London that progress could be undermined by any vaccine-resistant variants and a toxic political row with the European Union over exports that could result in a shortfall of doses.

The jump in infections on Britain’s doorstep could now be the first real global test of whether a pace-setting inoculation program is enough to keep a country protected. It will also give an indication of whether it’s enough to ensure there’s no setback to reopening the economy.”

Case numbers are rising over here in the UK. About 90%+ cases are the Delta variant.

Vaccinations have been going very well, but there are still pockets of low-take-up, and these seem to coincide with inner-city areas and areas with large student populations. It's possible that a lot of those students will get vaccinated in the next couple of months.

The vaccinations now mean that the deaths and hospitalisations per 100,000 cases is much lower than it was say, in January.

I do have some concern that as the Delta variant slowly crosses the country, gradually working its way into those areas with lower vaccination percentages that it could still cause a lot of hospitalisations in those areas. We've been told it could get as high as 1000 hospitalisations per day when it peaks...that would be for about 50,000 to 60,000 cases per day (currently running about 27,000 cases per day, but the current hospital cases, about 350/day would likely have caught it when case numbers were around 10,000 to 15,000 cases per day)

The media is sending out some mixed messages encouraging people to ditch their masks and social distancing on/after 19th July when the main restrictions with legal backing come to an end. There seems to be caution from a lot of the scientists/medical side of things that I might interpret as, where the government says we're not going to face these legally binding rules and now have to take personal responsibility, perhaps part of the personal responsibility could be continuing to use the mask, handwashing/sanitising, social distancing, outside meetings rather than inside in certain circumstances?

All we can do now is see what happens and hope for the best.

Last edited:
I just got the email inviting me to move up my 2nd jab, which I'm going to do later today. And I'm still going to wear my mask and practice social distancing and being very cautious after.

We've gotten so many mixed messages over the course of this whole thing. People are weary. I get it. But this hasn't disappeared and to me, it's not at a "manageable" or acceptable rate. It remains very real and very scary.

I believe the scientists. I tune out the politicos.

Also of note: there are some cultures, particularly in Asia, where is considered good manners to wear a mask in public places if you have the sniffles. I have no issues with that at all.

I just got the email inviting me to move up my 2nd jab, which I'm going to do later today. And I'm still going to wear my mask and practice social distancing and being very cautious after.

We've gotten so many mixed messages over the course of this whole thing. People are weary. I get it. But this hasn't disappeared and to me, it's not at a "manageable" or acceptable rate. It remains very real and very scary.

I believe the scientists. I tune out the politicos.

Also of note: there are some cultures, particularly in Asia, where is considered good manners to wear a mask in public places if you have the sniffles. I have no issues with that at all.

Agreed. I haven't had my 2nd jab yet and aren't due until mid august so I hope mine gets moved up too.

In the meantime I'll be wearing a mask, social distancing and being very wary indeed.

Agreed. I haven't had my 2nd jab yet and aren't due until mid august so I hope mine gets moved up too.

In the meantime I'll be wearing a mask, social distancing and being very wary indeed.

Chimpy, just log onto the NHS site and move it forward yourself. They’re currently recommending 8 weeks gap. I’ve never heard a thing from my GP through all this, but had my second 4 weeks ago.

PS how is “our” Aunty Marg doing?

Today's news brings more planned changes to how things have been. Those who are double vaccinated are no longer going to have to self-isolate if they've had contact with a confirmed case after August 16th (I think they have to be two weeks past the second vaccination as it takes a few weeks for the immunity to build.) That rule will also go for under-18s regardless of their vaccination status.

And I read that they'll no longer be doing contact tracing in schools, which I find strange, as I would have thought some of the parents would have appreciated a heads-up that their child has been in contact with a positive case?

Sajid Javid, the new health secretary, has now said that the cases could go up as high as 100,000 cases in this wave. So that would be expected to equate to around 1000 to 2000 daily hospitalisations, and I'm not sure off the top of my head what the total hospitalisations would be, given those figures....should be lower than for previous waves as on average people shouldn't have to stay in hospital as long if they do contract Covid and need hospital care.

But I am getting a feeling, after reading all of this, that compliance with testing regimens (lateral flow tests, and getting a PCR test if you have symptoms) might go down a lot, so we might have increasing undercounting of cases over the next few months, and that could also lead to some increased spread...obviously on the other side we have increasing vaccinations. But as I mentioned above, there are still these stubburn spots where there are fairly low vaccination rates in some of these inner-city areas, where the virus has a potential to spread widely within that limited area. The inner-city areas tend to be places where people are slightly more likely to live in multi-generational households, living very closely to neighbours, and high contact with neighbours. So that could still mean spread of the virus within those pockets, and the added propensity for spread with the Delta variant.

My main concern here, aside from the risk to health for those people and those with lower immunity who are living in those pockets (those who have some degree of immune compromise for any reason), would be that a high number of hospitalisations per day seems to risk having the backlog of operations grow even further as the NHS focuses on the influx of Covid cases, again, and the risk to vulnerable individuals in hospitals that they might contact Covid in the hospital and find it harder to fight off due to existing health issues that took them into the hospital. So I would think that means high maintenance Covid infection controls, social distancing, etc within hospitals for some time to come, which again cuts down the beds per ward space and reduces the number of people who can be treated at one time.

Obviously we will hope we get through it. The NHS has got through far larger waves of Covid and has just about coped, with the exception of being able to keep up with so called non-urgent operations, and some testing and cancer treatments have got behind..which I thought the priority would be to get on top of that situation, not deal with another wave. And 16 months of restrictions HAVE taken a toll on people in so many ways! I wouldn't want to stay in full lockdown forever! But I do think the government needs to be sending out appropriate messages of how to continue to be careful in reasonable ways, like perhaps continuing to wear a mask in some situations, indoor ventilation, meeting friends and family in the garden or going for a walk outside with them, etc, continuing handwashing and sanitising, to a level that's appropriate for a third large wave of Covid incoming, and that not everyone has been double-vaccinated, and that even double-vaccination isn't a 100% guarantee against getting Covid, or a rough case of Covid, though it's definitely, on average, going to hugely reduce chance of hospitalisation/death, which is brilliant compared to 2020 and earlier in 2021.

This has been a terrible time for so many people. One thing we could use keeping hold of from the darkest days of this pandemic is the amazing examples of people caring about their neighbours, communities, etc. I don't think that will disappear entirely, and let's hope that also helps us get through this wave and any future waves.

Re one of @Amonet's points in the above post,my brother in law was hospitalised overnight last week with a really rough dose of covid,he has had it before and had both his vaccinations. He was only in for one night and them luckily well enough to come home but he is still very rough with it,but not any worse. My sister in law was positive too but she says she has had worse colds,it's hard to know what to make of it all really.

Re one of @Amonet's points in the above post,my brother in law was hospitalised overnight last week with a really rough dose of covid,he has had it before and had both his vaccinations. He was only in for one night and them luckily well enough to come home but he is still very rough with it,but not any worse. My sister in law was positive too but she says she has had worse colds,it's hard to know what to make of it all really.
Yes, my boyfriend lives in England. His sister had both shots. She got Covid again and is very sick. His mom had both shots and has tested positive 2 more times, as she tests before work. She hasn't been very sick, but she had it 2 additional times, in addition to her one before the vaccinations. I think testing is one of the most important components, seeing as how the vaccine is not keeping people from getting it as much as they say. But most people who know they have it would stay home and not want to spread it. In the US, we do not have home testing like he has access to. I wish we did. Its all but not talked about or discussed any more here. Not a mask in sight. Its all such a weird situation that you never know if you are overreacting or underreacting.....

It's a really tricky little virus, isn't it! Those are both very informative posts, Kiranerys and mpnola. I haven't personally known anyone coming down with Covid for quite a while now, probably since January, so it's interesting to hear about real people ather than just reading dry statistics.

I've started watching Dr John Campbell's videos again on YouTube to try and fill in the gaps that are left after reading headline stories in BBC and Sky websites. He says that the immunity from having Covid and from the vaccinations is very good...and with the vaccine I've heard about 80% for infections after being double-jabbed. That's a great percentage compared to pre-vaccines, but when you have so many people, even 5% of them getting quite ill, to the level of your brother-in-law, Kiranerys, is still going to be a big number. And with the change in reported symptoms, more people who've been vaccinated reporting the symptom of runny nose, they could be breathing the virus out more than people did when the original version was tending to go deeper into the lungs, and they might not know that the runny nose isn't hayfever or a summer cold.

I felt quite shocked when this wave started, considering the high numbers of vaccination, but I'm starting to see now how it can happen.

These stories have definitely helped make my mind up to continue with the lateral flow tests as long as they're available, and to continue to try and stand apart from people, and carry on wearing my mask in busier indoor spaces or public transport. And carry on meeting up with friends and neighbours on nice days outside rather than do indoor coffee things. Just until this wave has died back. And these latter things are now being strongly recommended by the government, even though they won't be legally mandated.

I hope your brother-in-law will be feeling better asap, Kira!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooby-Doo
Back