Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was walking past a nursing home today, beautiful, sunny day. They had large round tables set up outside. The tables were set up for the residents to be outside, and their families could come see them. Everyone was wearing masks, gloves, and at social distance. And they looked happy.

I don't understand stand why other nursing homes won't let the folks at least outside. They are not prisoners in lock down.

I don't know much about these contact tracing apps.

If you download the app does it start tracking you movements right away? If so who is getting this information?

The way I understand it (going by what they say about our newly-released contact tracing app) is that the app records the phone numbers of everyone within 1½ metres (about 5 feet) of yourself - if they also have the app, which communicates by bluetooth.

The info gets recorded 'on the cloud' and is only retrieved if a medical professional wants to help you trace everyone you have been in contact with - should you contract the virus. They say that the medical profession is the only one who will have access to this data.

I was walking past a nursing home today, beautiful, sunny day. They had large round tables set up outside. The tables were set up for the residents to be outside, and their families could come see them. Everyone was wearing masks, gloves, and at social distance. And they looked happy.

I don't understand stand why other nursing homes won't let the folks at least outside. They are not prisoners in lock down.
Thank you for this. Hopefully more are doing it than we realize.

Sorry I don't have a link at the moment but in my City Police and EMS are given name, age, birth date of all positive cases from our Health Unit. I'm fine with it. It protects me and them. 2 positive folks were caught out and about in my City. Once the Health Unit clears you your off the list.

California governor orders Orange County beaches to close

“Calling it a "temporary pause," Newsom told reporters the beaches may reopen very quickly "if we can get some framework and guidelines to get this right."”

[...]

“"We just want to focus on where there's a problem ... in a smart, strategic way," Newsom said. "We don't want to be heavy-handed about these things."”

[...]

“The order was announced on the day Orange County reported 145 new cases of Covid-19, its largest one-day tally. There have been a total of 2,393 cases in the county, with 45 deaths, according to data from OC Health.”

“"My job as governor is to keep you safe, and when our health folks tell me they can't promise that if we promote another weekend like we had then I have to make this adjustment," Newsom said.

An additional 95 people died from Covid-19 on Wednesday, he said. The state saw a 5.2% increase in confirmed cases since yesterday for a total of 48,917.

"Why undo all the great progress? Let's move this state forward together," Newsom said.””

California Gov. Gavin Newsom to close Orange County beaches after weekend crowds

—-

Orange County reports single-day high of 145 new COVID-19 cases

“It’s the fourth day in the last six with at least 100 new cases reported. That number had been reached just once previously, when 104 cases were reported on April 1”

[...]

“Santa Ana remains the Orange County city with the most cases, with 366 as of Thursday, an increase of 36 cases from Wednesday. Anaheim has 346 reported COVID-19 cases.

Among local cities, Huntington Beach has 223 cases. Newport Beach has 97 cases, Costa Mesa 40, Laguna Beach 37 and Fountain Valley 32.”

Most of them are young people, I'm sure. But the ones who end up hospitalized are going to regret their decisions in HB. So it goes.

Not all nursing homes have access to outside areas.

And some lack staff, and the staff are working 24 shifts. Hard to "open up" and take on more duties.

Sounds like one of the more expensive nursing homes, to be frank. There's one of those in my county - and then tons of much less...friendly places (no outdoor space, next to asphalt and strip malls, by the side of major highways...)

The way I understand it (going by what they say about our newly-released contact tracing app) is that the app records the phone numbers of everyone within 1½ metres (about 5 feet) of yourself - if they also have the app, which communicates by bluetooth.

The info gets recorded 'on the cloud' and is only retrieved if a medical professional wants to help you trace everyone you have been in contact with - should you contract the virus. They say that the medical profession is the only one who will have access to this data.
Thanks. So the app records devices and not locations.

They need to make that clear when promoting this app. People are hesitant to allow their movements to be tracked. If this app doesn't do that it's more palatable to me and probably others. JMO

Capital Red Coats - security for legislators.
Snipped
Wait.....so Red Coats are the name of the Michigan state capital security?!?!

If so, then I misinterpreted the protest screaming.

I don't want to be wrong and am willing to learn with correct information. I'm still not entirely sure (and it's not exactly on-topic, but I want to be corrected if wrong).

jmo

This SERIOUSLY sucks!
The corporations that own these ships need to fix this.
If I was an attorney, class action suites would be headed for these cruise ship lines asap.

No end in sight: 100,000 crew on cruise ships stranded at sea

Erin McCormick and Patrick Greenfield
10 hrs ago
While most cruise ship passengers have now made it back to land, another crisis has been growing with no safe haven in sight.
Around the world, more than 100,000 crew workers are still trapped on cruise ships, at least 50 of which have Covid-19 infections, a Guardian investigation has found. They are shut out of ports and banned from air travel that would allow them to return to their homes.

Many of these crew are quarantined in tiny cabins, and some have had their pay cut off. They have effectively become a nation of floating castaways, marooned on boats from the Galapagos Islands to the port of Dubai.
Many of the crew have only minimal communication with the outside world, making their situations hard to scrutinise. But at least 17 cruise ship workers are confirmed to have died from suspected Covid-19, and dozens more have had to be medically evacuated off ships and hospitalised, the Guardian found.

'Walking dead': Inmates describe how coronavirus swept through an Ohio prison

80% positive for CV-19 including staff at Ohio's Marion State Prison. Marion prison officials reported that 95 percent of COVID-19 positive inmates are asymptomatic.

Conditions within Ohio's coronavirus-infected prisons described as 'war zone'

'Walking dead': Inmates describe how coronavirus swept through an Ohio prison

One action being taken is having the inmates sleep head to toe to help with social distancing. How is that working out?

See for yourself:

See shocking photo from inside a Marion
prison dormitory:
84ee87c92ce79f1ea947324aee811daf

"Ohio residents with incarcerated loved ones are bracing themselves to hear the latest updates inside Marion, if any.

"Sometimes, I call my mom. I don’t want to worry her too much because she gets to crying," said Richard Williams, 27.
"To be honest, I’m scared. I’m nervous of being in here."
Williams’ mother, Sabrina White, is anxious for him to come home — although his sentence isn’t up until March 2024.

“My son deserved to serve a sentence. … He screwed up," White said. "This is supposed to be a correctional rehabilitation facility, not death row. Right now, it is death row.”

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have a link at the moment but in my City Police and EMS are given name, age, birth date of all positive cases from our Health Unit. I'm fine with it. It protects me and them. 2 positive folks were caught out and about in my City. Once the Health Unit clears you your off the list.
Seems like too much personal information is being released.

Why are peoples birth dates important?

Thanks. So the app records devices and not locations.

They need to make that clear when promoting this app. People are hesitant to allow their movements to be tracked. If this app doesn't do that it's more palatable to me and probably others. JMO

I could have sworn I heard (on TV) that the info was stored 'on the cloud' but - having just looked for it - the info that the Aussie govt has given out says that the info stores on your phone, which is better for our personal security, I think.

(It could be the app they are using in Singapore that stores the info 'on the cloud')

Here's how it works.

Using the same Bluetooth technology that searches if your headphones or car are nearby, your mobile phone securely and anonymously takes note of other app users you come in contact with. This information is encrypted and stored locally on your phone — you won't be able to see or access it — and is kept there for 21 days, after which it is permanently deleted.

If someone you have been near in the past 21 days later tests positive for coronavirus, the information stored on that person's phone can be sent to health workers in your state or territory to contact you quickly and let you know what steps you will need to take to keep yourself and those around you safe.

It is simply an automated and smarter way of doing what our health workers are already doing to keep track of the virus in our community. And it's a necessary part of the plan to ease restrictions by making sure we can get on top of any outbreaks quickly when we start going about our day to day lives again.

The app can be downloaded easily by searching COVIDSafe in your app store or by visiting health.gov.au for more information.

Thank you Australia, for helping to stop the spread and save lives.

Authorised by the Chief Medical Officer, Canberra.
COVIDSafe app

Not all nursing homes have access to outside areas.

And some lack staff, and the staff are working 24 shifts. Hard to "open up" and take on more duties.

Sounds like one of the more expensive nursing homes, to be frank. There's one of those in my county - and then tons of much less...friendly places (no outdoor space, next to asphalt and strip malls, by the side of major highways...)

I have a friend right now, her father is dying of cancer in a nursing home, and they won't let her in to see him. She can't even get him released. I am not sure what is going on, but there is a problem when you can't visit your dying father. They won't let her in, even with a negative COVID19 test, mask...it is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia