GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot in Wendy’s car park, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 *officer charged*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the video. The whole situation looks like a mess, but at least I can see that the policeman was threatened with a taser. I just wonder what the instructions say about the options for handling a drunk man sleeping in a car in Wendy’s driveway. Are there any alternatives to jail? Were there any alternatives to calling the police? What is Wendy’s legal responsibility? Yes, the guy is drunk. He is minimally blocking the traffic. He is sleeping in his car. Would it have been wiser to let him sleep? (BTW, how did he end up at Wendy? Are they open in Atlanta? Did he stop by to eat but passed out instead?).

I am looking at the initial damage (a car with a sleeping drunk man in a driveway, not fully blocking it, just parked in such a way that other clients have to drive around it).

From my standpoint, the initial decision of Mr. Brooks (to sleep it off rather to drive drunk) was the smart one. And if I am not wrong, if his key was out of the ignition lock, it was not even a DUI.

How could this (uncomfortable, but not deadly) situation turn into such a disaster?

27 y.o. father of four - dead.

Wendy- burned down.

Several cars - burned down.

Traffic - blocked.

Head of the PD department- resigned.

The policeman - fired.

The situation in Atlanta - dangerous.

I just wonder if the net result could be preventable? Surely there should be a more reasonable alternative? For everyone?

It is a catastrophe, what has happened.

I see dire need to introduce more deescalation techniques in police training. I don’t see anything provoking in the officer’s behavior, he was polite, it was Mr. Brooks just turned 180 degrees. However, he was only 27, he is dead, shot in the back, and I can imagine how Mr. Brooks’ family feels. OK, he got drunk celebrating and fell asleep in a car, or chose to sleep the alcohol off. Never happened to any of our friends?

I don't think he chose to park in the drive thru of a Wendy's to sleep it off rather than drive drunk.

Wendy's did the right thing by calling the cops for their safety and the safety of their customers. What business wants someone, with unknown issues, passed out on their property with other customers around.

The cops had to do their job and respond to the call.

There's only one person responsible for everything that went down, and it's not the person from Wendy's that called or either of the officers who responded.

I don't think he chose to park in the drive thru of a Wendy's to sleep it off rather than drive drunk.

Wendy's did the right thing by calling the cops for their safety and the safety of their customers. What business wants someone, with unknown issues, passed out on their property with other customers around.

The cops had to do their job and respond to the call.

There's only one person responsible for everything that went down, and it's not the person from Wendy's that called or either of the officers who responded.

and whether it was an active choice or not, is someone of the mind that if someone takes a nap in the drive-thru it’s not a danger to the other customers? or that Wendy’s should not have tried to remove him? If the restaurant was still operational that time of night, well, then Mr. Brooks was making a public hazard.

I watched the video. The whole situation looks like a mess, but at least I can see that the policeman was threatened with a taser. I just wonder what the instructions say about the options for handling a drunk man sleeping in a car in Wendy’s driveway. Are there any alternatives to jail? Were there any alternatives to calling the police? What is Wendy’s legal responsibility? Yes, the guy is drunk. He is minimally blocking the traffic. He is sleeping in his car. Would it have been wiser to let him sleep? (BTW, how did he end up at Wendy? Are they fully open in Atlanta? Did he stop by the driveway to eat but passed out instead?).

I am looking at the initial damage (a car with a sleeping drunk man in a driveway, not fully blocking it, just parked in such a way that other clients have to drive around it).

From my standpoint, maybe the initial decision of Mr. Brooks (to sleep on it) was the smart one. And if I am not wrong, if his key was out of the ignition lock, it was not even a DUI.

How could this (uncomfortable, but not deadly) situation turn into such a disaster?

Wendy- burned down.

Traffic - blocked.

The policeman - fired.

I just wonder if the net result could be preventable? Surely there should be a more reasonable alternative? For everyone?

I see dire need to introduce more deescalation techniques in police training. Because much as I don’t see anything provoking in the officer’s behavior, he was polite, and Mr. Brooks just turned 180 degrees. But - he was only 27, he is dead, shot in the back, and I can imagine how Mr. Brooks’ family feels. OK, he got drunk celebrating and fell asleep in a car, or chose to sleep on it. Never happened to any of our friends?

First of all, the way the car was parked, it made it seem probable that he had been driving drunk.
Maybe he was and maybe he wasn't. But that's why they gave him a sobriety field test.

And that is for the court to decide. Sure, a cop has discretion. But they also have the right to enforce the laws as well. We don't know what the charges were going to be. Maybe he was just going to jail until he sobered up. But the cop did not do anything wrong or illegal or out of line, for attempting a lawful arrest.

Here is the problem, as I see it. There was nothing to deescalate until Brooks went hog wild and began assaulting the cops. And by then it was too late.

From the start, they were being quite calm, respectful and polite.

Harsh reality is, once someone has punched an officer in the face and begun trying to take the taser out of the others cop's holster, they cannot 'deescalate' anything at that point. For the cops, it is a life and death struggle for them, from that point on.

Mr Brooks was the one who escalated things beyond the point where an officer bus going to allow him to walk away without being arrested. And that was all they were trying to do.

Sure, we could look with hindsight and say maybe they shouldn't have detained him. Maybe they should have cut him a break. But that is up to their discretion. We can't fault them for following the law as they saw it that night.

and in particular, this part really bothers me:

"But - he was only 27, he is dead, shot in the back, and I can imagine how Mr. Brooks’ family feels."

He was 27 years old. He was not a dumb inexperienced kid. He knew better than to get behind the wheel while drunk. Why shouldn't he be held accountable? He was a grown man, a father of four. Not a college kid on spring break.

It is misleading to say he was shot in the back. That leaves out the fact that he turned around and shot the taser at the officer, and that is what provoked the officer to shoot. By the time the bullets arrived he had turned around already. BROOKS WAS THE AGGRESSOR all the way through this tragic event.

As for how the family feels I am sure they feel awful. And I bet they blame the officer, and not Brooks himself.

I feel sorry for the officer's family. he has been fired and disgraced and vilified. His life is in shambles. They probably have to go into hiding. And was he the one who created this violent situation?

NO, he was polite, respectful, and was making a lawful arrest, when he came under attack by Mr Brooks. And he and his family will be shamed and vilified and hounded by death threats. He lost his career, reputation and retirement benefits.

Mr Brooks will become a martyr and a BLM icon. His family will be celebrated and treated with great dignity and love. Welcomed wherever they go.

I think it is profoundly unfair to sacrifice this officer and treat him like he is no better than that murderer in the Floyd tragedy. It is unfair and we should look more closely at the narrative that BLM is selling.

ACAB! Blue Lives Murder! Is that really an appropriate rally cry when we are trying to find a balance between the police and the community they serve?

Wendy- burned down.

Traffic - blocked.

The policeman - fired.

It is a total catastrophe, I agree. And you asked how this uncomfortable situation turned into such a disaster....

The moment Mr Brooks took a swing at the officer and punched him in the face, things were sideways. But he could have calmed down, and stopped fighting. He didn't. And the cops cannot do anything but defend themselves at that point because he was out of control and these are the situations that often turn deadly for the cops.

You asked how all this happened? I believe that the first part---27 y.o. father of four - dead.--- happened because of the poor choice Mr Brooks made that night. Once he decided to begin assaulting the cops, and shoot the stolen taser, things went downhill fast.

as for all of this:
Wendy- burned down.
Traffic - blocked.
The policeman - fired.

I blame BLM and the fake news media for all of the above.

I blame them because they have this running narrative, since Ferguson, that the police are racist killers that are just looking for opportunities to kill innocent black people. ACAB

And so anytime, any blacks are shot, they pull out this same narrative. EVEN WHEN THE 'VICTIM' IS SHOOTING AT OR ASSAULTING THE OFFICER.

Within an hour of a police involved shooting, BLM calls out their troops and they begin chanting and marching, and often DECEIVING people about what really happened. And the locals begin forming protest groups, which often turn into looters or arsonists at night.

There is no actual discussion or rational thought about the circumstances. Cops are automatically accused of murder, and then they begin chanting the names of other people, who also have circumstances that are ignored or retold, and are seen as murdered in cold blood by racists.

In 96% of police involved shootings, the victims were shooting at, charging with a knife or car, or assaulting the officers.

The demoralization of our Police continues:

www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-chicago-police-cancel-days-off-20200614-cleqwqoyp5ccffa5yxixdj3aom-story.html

Chicago police officers on Sunday were once again ordered to work 12-hour shifts and have their days off canceled amid some protesting that has persisted in parts of the city following George Floyd’s death at the hands of Minneapolis police nearly three weeks ago.

A Chicago police spokesman could not say why officers were forced to go back to the extended shifts, but the directive from Police Department brass comes following the shooting death Friday night of a black man by a police officer in Atlanta.

"The demoralization of our Police continues"

That^^^ is the goal of BLM. Demoralize them, Criminalize them, Villify them.

I have issues with this version of the incident. It said:

"Brooks struggled with the officers after they administered a field sobriety test and tried to take him into custody. Surveillance video appears to show Brooks running away from the officers with a stun gun that he'd taken from one of them, said Vic Reynolds, director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation."

That^^^ is a very misleading description of the incident. IMO A couple of very important things were left out of their description of events.

Their wording is also minimising Mr Brooks actions. They say " Brooks struggled with the officers after they administered a field sobriety test..."

He didn't 'struggle with them' ---he assaulted them.

He was being detained and the officers were making a lawful arrest. And with no warning, after being treated politely and respectfully, he suddenly became combative.

He pulled away suddenly as they were about to cuff him, and he punched one officer in the face. They didn't add that important incident into their description of events.

After he punched the officer, he was taken to the ground by the other officer, and they all 3 ended up scuffling and wrestling. Mr Brooks began grabbing at the officer's holster and was ordered to STOP grabbing at the weapons.

The article just says dryly that ' he had taken a stun gun from one of them.' No mention of the physical fighting and wrestling that took place, and the demands from the officers for him to stop.

Brooks refused to stop and got a hold of the weapon and scrambled away. That is a felony right there.

He then turned towards the officer and SHOT the taser at him.

When the officer pulled out his gun to shoot at him, Mr Brooks was facing the officer. He turned just as the bullets arrived, so he was hit in the back.

That article is very misleading. It minimises the suspects aggressive actions, and makes the officers seem like they were aggressive and out of line.

Anyone who watched the entire video, can see how respectful and polite both of the officers were throughout the interaction, UNTIL Brooks suddenly begins to be combative.

Articles like that are fueling the fires and creating division and anger based upon misleading descriptions of tragic events. JMO

Here is the entire raw footage of the tragic event.

when I try to paste the link it goes right to the video. So the link is YouTube raw video

At about 32 minutes into the tape, AFTER the shooting, 2 'witnesses' come over and start screaming at the cops. Accusing them of hassling the man, and arresting him for 'no effing reason.'

BUT it clearly shows the officer giving him a breath detector test and he was over the legal limit for alcohol. And the man had been lying to him continuously about him not driving his car---which was a flat out lie.

He was drunk and his girlfriend had been drinking too and she dropped him off to his car, even though they had both been drinking for awhile.

So these witnesses were wrong, when they said he was about to be arrested for 'no reason. 'And they begin screaming at the cops, calling them names, saying 'no wonder he was trying to get away, 'you were hassling him and arresting him for no reason.'

Is that what we have come to now? Cops are not supposed to arrest drunk drivers anymore?

And if someone takes a breathalyser and fails it, and doesn't want to get arrested, it is fine for them to begin punching the cops and grabbing their weapons from them?

Here is the entire raw footage of the tragic event.

when I try to paste the link it goes right to the video. So the link is YouTube raw video

Something else that shocked me actually---
@about 49 in---

the officer who shot, got a phone call. I think from the union rep that he had called.

===Wow---They asked who the other officer was that was involved in the shooting, and he didn't know his name--he had to ask him his name...

@ 51=very interesting:
his superiors came and asked for a quick summary of the event. ..interesting. They seemed very compassionate and supportive and most were black officers.

@105=The team that is moving them from the crime scene to the precinct, to take their camera and download the footage arrives. ...fascinating....all of them are so compassionate about the situation...they tell him he needs to keep his camera running until it is turned in at the station...

@112=his sergeant is telling him not to speak to anyone about this, except to tell his family that he is OK

@114=parking issue brought up--Sergeant afraid to park on the street because he knows the protests are coming now
@127=you see them talking him right up to the DOWNLOADING equipment, and putting his shoulder cam right in to be downloaded.
And from the time of the shooting until the downloading, it was never turned off...

Sigh---watching the officer being questioned afterwards, and pacing around--makes me sad for him.

He did not go to that back up 911 call, intending to kill anyone. In fact, for the entire 29 minutes of the initial engagement, he had no reason to believe there would be any physical altercations.

The DUI suspect was totally cooperative and pleasant. Until he suddenly began assaulting them, with no warning at all.

Rayshard Brooks police shooting declared homicide

A medical examiner in Atlanta, Georgia, has declared the death of an African-American man to be homicide after he was shot in an encounter with police.

Rayshard Brooks died while fleeing from two white police officers in a restaurant car park late on Friday.

Protests erupted after his death, weeks after another black man, George Floyd, was killed in custody in Minneapolis.

Atlanta's police chief quit and the police officer suspected of shooting Mr Brooks was fired.

Following his death, the Wendy's drive-through restaurant where he was stopped was set on fire on Saturday.

Thousands of people joined Black Lives Matter protests across the US at the weekend.

In Chicago, a statue of the first US President, George Washington, was spray-painted with the words "slave owner".

Washington was an active slave holder for 56 years. While spoke of his desire to end the practice, at the time of his death in 1799, 317 enslaved people lived on his Mount Vernon estate. The founding father left instructions in his will for the 123 slaves he owned outright to be freed, only once his wife Martha had died.

Skip Twitter post by @AlexisMcAdamsTV

Alexis McAdams ABC-7

✔@AlexisMcAdamsTV

Graffiti covers the more than 100 year old George Washington statue on the Southside.

Messages in red spray paint read “Slave Owner” “Burn the Whitehouse down” & “God bless AmeriKKKa”

CPD investigating.

Some neighbors want the statue to go, others say it’s part of history.

6:01 PM - Jun 14, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

58 people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @AlexisMcAdamsTV

_105914179_blank_white_space-nc.png

Crowds also gathered again in Washington DC near the White House while in Los Angeles, a large number of LGBT protesters marched with rainbow flags to denounce what they said was police brutality, racism and transphobia.

And anger over the killing of Mr Floyd, who died as a police officer held his knee on his neck on 25 May, fuelled new protests over the weekend in the UK.

What is the latest on the Atlanta shooting?

More at link

Last edited:
Rayshard Brooks police shooting declared homicide

"A medical examiner in Atlanta, Georgia, has declared the death of an African-American man to be homicide after he was shot in an encounter with police.

Rayshard Brooks died while fleeing from two white police officers in a restaurant car park late on Friday."

In this hideous article posted, the MSM is clearly inciting hatred, racism and division, while omitting important facts. I am just so sickened

I watched the video. The whole situation looks like a mess, but at least I can see that the policeman was threatened with a taser. I just wonder what the instructions say about the options for handling a drunk man sleeping in a car in Wendy’s driveway. Are there any alternatives to jail? Were there any alternatives to calling the police? What is Wendy’s legal responsibility? Yes, the guy is drunk. He is minimally blocking the traffic. He is sleeping in his car. Would it have been wiser to let him sleep? (BTW, how did he end up at Wendy? Are they open in Atlanta? Did he stop by to eat but passed out instead?).

From my standpoint, the initial decision of Mr. Brooks (to sleep it off rather to drive drunk) was the smart one. And if I am not wrong, if his key was out of the ignition lock, it was not even a DUI.

Wendy- burned down.

Traffic - blocked.

The policeman - fired.

I see dire need to introduce more deescalation techniques in police training. I don’t see anything provoking in the officer’s behavior, he was polite, it was Mr. Brooks just turned 180 degrees. However, he was only 27, he is dead, shot in the back, and I can imagine how Mr. Brooks’ family feels. OK, he got drunk celebrating and fell asleep in a car, or chose to sleep the alcohol off. Never happened to any of our friends?

He was drunk and passed out in the drive thru. Not the driveway. Customers were blowing their horns to get the line moving. Who else besides the police would you suggest handle it? An alcohol counselor who would have had to been called from home which might have been 40 miles away? How about a minister? What about the French fry kid inside Wendy’s?

There are no alternatives to the police. They are the only ones brave enough to encounter a guy like this. They might handle a drunk doing something crazy five times a night. To suggest that there are alternatives is a fairy tale.

In the article posted above, written to inflame and incite without a clear understanding of what transpired, the author chooses to point to the race of both parties. Also the choice of wording in the statement "...after he was shot in an encounter with police". An "encounter" ? Really ? This was not an encounter! This was physically resisting arrest and shooting a police issued weapon at the police! There was not one bit of racial animosity that I saw during the videos I have watched. And the MSM keeps going for the kill shot

It's a split second decision. Someone has been fighting with you, trying to get your weapon, and you are in a life and death struggle at that time. Cops are trained to see this kind of struggle as life or death because it is the type of situation that kills many officers.

So I am adamant that it was justified because the officer was fighting for his life at that point. The suspect had suddenly attacked them, physically and stole a weapon from them, ans then turned and pointed it at one officer. At that point he has a split second to decide what to do next.

He could let the guy run off, but then he has to tell his superior that a drunk felon with a violent criminal history ran into the neighborhood with a stolen taser. That is not a good option. Now he is putting others at risk too.

Once that drunk assailant came at him with the stolen weapon, the officer had the legal right to defend himself. Officers can elevate to a higher level of force.

You and I can't do that. It is illegal. But officers have that right because we give them a badge which gives them the right to use force. The citizen was out of control and made his own poor decisions that night. Silly games bring silly prizes.

Ita, Katy.

I have had a conceal permit to carry ever since I was in my early 20s. It saved my life in my mid 20s when I was coming home from work around 12:15am. If I had hesitated in firing my weapon into the lower passenger door, I have no doubt whatsover that the 3 thugs in the truck would have succeeded in running me off the road as they were trying hard to do.

The police officers told me if I had hesitated to fire my weapon they would have found me raped, and murdered with my body thrownout somewhere.

If they had been able to surround me blocking me in, I wouldnt have hesitated one second to shoot as many of them as I could, and I'm an expert shooter even now in my old age. I damned sure wasnt going to wait to see what their intents were!

Every self defense gun instructor stresses no one can hesitate to react in threatening situations. Hesitation of any kind is taken advantage of by the criminals. Legal gunowners are also instructed to immediately react to the threat. Even 2 seconds can be a difference between life or death.

Imo, like so many before this police officer he is another sacrificial lamb being offered up to appease the actual violent criminals who commit all of these felonies without hesitation.

Unfortunately we have seen this knee jerk reaction before with several being built on false narratives without a chance for the evidence to come forward.

We saw how dangerous they can be when Ferguson was under siege burning to the ground. The criminal was falsely portrayed as a gentle giant instead of a very aggressive giant. None of the potstirrers waited for the facts to come out, and when it did the city already was in shambles for the taxpayers to repair.

The facts told the real story of how a ruthless aggressive larger suspect did everything he could to take officer Wilson's gun from him even being so bold he tried to come inside of his patrol car in order to do so. If Mike Brown had his way Officer Wilson would be dead today. Imo. Instead the officer who didnt do anything wrong was stripped of his career, and his life ruined through no fault of his own. As you know that case is not the only one built on false narratives that left other cities in ruin.

So now another officer will be hung out to dry. His life will be ruined too. I have no doubt he will be charged. Not because he's guilty of anything, but to appease the hateful criminal masses they know will burn Atlanta businesses to the ground in a heartbeat. Or the lawless coming in, and taking over areas of the city to leave it in ruin like the area in Seattle that is being held under siege.

All of these Mayors, and Governors are facilitators for the lawless. They are the reason all of the craziness is allowed to go on with serious felonies being done in plain sight yet they dont care, and actually supports the lawless instead of the law abiding citizens, and businesses in their areas.

So the cities are held hostage by all of the violent criminals. So are the DAs who are going to charge every white officer no matter how dire or dangerous the situation was to their personal safety. Their safety doesnt matter one bit to these politicians, and never has, imo.

.Like I see many say they believe the police should just stand there taking it all, and do nothing. The only one who is given a benefit of a doubt are the criminals.

It shows how upside down our country is in now where bad acts are proclaimed as good acts or excusable behavior. In the past three weeks we have seen what it looks like when the lawless takes over many of our nation's streets. It will continue to spread like toxic waste destroying everything in it's path because LE is prevented from doing their job to protect these communities, and its citizens.

We are being swallowed up plummeting into a deep hole of moral decline. We use to pride ourselves of being a.country of law, and order. Now we see serious laws being broken every single day, and it's allowed, and worse even supported.

Jmho

Last edited:
JMHO, but I'm shocked this was ruled a homicide.
A "homicide" ruling doesn't mean he was murdered. It means he was killed by another person. In other words, suicide is ruled out. Not all homicides are criminal, as we have seen many times in the past, when a cop shoots someone and it's ruled "justifiable." Or when someone is killed in self defense.

I don't blame Wendy's for calling 911 at all. What were they supposed to do, let the guy block the drive-thru where they could no longer take orders and just close the drive-thru down?
What if he had a heart attack? How was the person that called supposed to know that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliff77