South Africa - Susan Rohde, 47, murdered, Stellenbosch, 24 July 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very new to this thread so thank you for your welcome. I have two questions:
1 given the conflicting pathologists reports at what time do members think Susan passed away.
2 I would like to post a link here about another court case which JR featured in but am not sure of the rules. The actual case can be found easily in saflii archives where the judgement can be read. However, I cannot find the JR judgement. It pertained to his position in the Company at the time.

I read somewhere else that the handyman called to open the locked bathroom door commented that JR appeared freshly dressed and shaven at that time!

Hag, Oct 14, 2017 Report

I cannot claim this it was posted by CourtRoom12 on twitter. For someone who can remember the colour of his jersey on the night he has a hard time remembering other facts.

CourtRoom12‏ @CrimesTrials Aug 7
Jason doesn't need to shave because he never grows stubble #rohdepic.twitter.com/rdsSHREfsm

DkABz9bW4AA1Mgm.jpg

DkACF6bW0AUDWV8.jpg

DkACgamWsAASXuu.jpg

DkAD-u3WwAERfjL.jpg

0 replies 0 retweets 1 like

I am very new to this thread so thank you for your welcome. I have two questions:
1 given the conflicting pathologists reports at what time do members think Susan passed away.
2 I would like to post a link here about another court case which JR featured in but am not sure of the rules. The actual case can be found easily in saflii archives where the judgement can be read. However, I cannot find the JR judgement. It pertained to his position in the Company at the time.

Hi lilmac,
Thanks for being here.:):)
Old posters don't seem to be returning.:(
I'll try to find Tweets from Nick van der Leek, who follows this.
It has been mentioned, by a colleague, that Susan was cold, when he entered for the CPR procedure: so 'not alive, for hours!!
I am interested, if you could send to me (via conversation on websleuths about JR).
Perhaps ask a Moderator what you can reveal here.

Last edited:
Nick van der Leek‏ @HiRezLife
Phew, no love lost between Van der Spuy and Van Niekerk, is there? Watch the prosecutor's reaction here... #Rohde

gmJdH41w

WATCH LIVE: Jason Rohde's former colleague to testify (Part 2)
Jason Rohde's former colleague, Brendan Miller, gives evidence in the former Sotheby's boss' murder trial. Rohde and his wife Susan had been attending the co...

youtube.com

Jenna Etheridge‏ @JennaEtheridge 14 hours ago
#Rohde LVN: It is fair to say your memory might fail you because of consumption of alcohol that evening. BM says that is correct. He also agrees there could be different recollections of that night. @TeamNews24

#Rohde LVN says he spoke to Sergeant Appollis now and they do recall whisky in BM's office that he used as gifts. His recollection is that he indeed saw that and said can he have a sip and then you poured him that. @TeamNews24

#Rohde BM says he was not initially aware of the affair between Jason and Jolene Alterskye. At that stage [that weekend], there were rumours and speculation about the affair. When I asked about it, I was told it was nothing, it was over. @TeamNews24

Last edited:
Nick van der Leek‏ @HiRezLife 13h13 hours ago
Makes one wonder if Dr Loftus paid attention to this court case. He's asking essentially whether Susan #Rohde was alive and moving in her faeces. She was moving as *CPR was performed on her*, but Loftus jumping on this point shows opportunism, doesn't it?

Dr Loftus' greatest contribution on August 6th was possibly the leap in accepting that the faeces stains found at the crime scene were human. Watch that momentous moment unfold here https://youtu.be/dOQGVtzBFvY?t=1h3m50s … #Rohde

Jenna Etheridge‏ @JennaEtheridge Aug 8
#Rohde BM: Appollis had a tot of whisky. Neat as I recall. He had the full tot. he had it before taking my statement. LVN says Appollis recalls having it afterwards. BM is excused. @andrewteale

Jenna Etheridge‏ @JennaEtheridge Aug 8
LVN says Appollis recalls it was midday when they had whisky, they were standing on BM's balcony, and they were smoking. BM replies that it was in the lounge. Under re-exam, VDS says people mean different things by a sip of whisky. @TeamNews24

2:48 AM - 8 Aug 2018

#Rohde What did “Drama, but OK” actually mean?
August 9, 2018 / nickvdl
Jason’s response then, if anything, is to calm her down, walk her back on the idea of divorce. He’s certainly not confirming or reinforcing the statement. Later he tells her to pack her bags, but it’s still not about divorce. I think one reason for this may be because their home in Johannesburg [worth over $10 million] was in Susan’s name. If he divorced Susan he might lose a sizable asset.
The above article by nickvdl, has many important points he discusses regarding the trial.

Nick van der Leek
Disappointing that Prof Gert Saaiman didn't testify. I was looking forward to his testimony. #Rohde

2:23 AM - 13 Aug 2018

WATCH LIVE: Rohde's defence closes its case

13 August, 10:08 AM

The defence team for murder-accused Jason Rohde closes its case in the Western Cape High Court.

Rohde has denied killing his wife Susan and staging her suicide in a Spier hotel room in 2016. Watch live.
WATCH LIVE: Rohde's defence closes its case | News24
https://www.news24.com/Video/SouthA...-defence-expected-to-close-its-case-201808132 hours ago ... The defence team for murder-accused Jason Rohde closes its case in the Western Cape High Court. Watch live. ... WATCH LIVE: Rohde's defence expected to close its case.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-13_20-38-29.png
    upload_2018-8-13_20-38-29.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 4
  • upload_2018-8-13_20-38-29.png
    upload_2018-8-13_20-38-29.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Jenna Etheridge‏ @JennaEtheridge 3h3 hours ago
#Rohde Defence lawyer Graham van der Spuy hands up an affidavit by instructing attorney, Daniel Witz. "This is done by agreement between parties to dispense with the need for him to testify." @TeamNews24

#Rohde VDS: "In the circumstances, I have decided not to call any further witnesses and I close the case of the defence".

#Rohde Prosecutor Louis van Niekerk says the parties have discussed the way forward and they will be ready to give closing arguments on November 6. @TeamNews24

As the time passes I think that Jason will walk away... Very dissapointed with the State and LVN. I expected so much more.

Dora, I hope not.
I felt the Judge, really questioned each of the Defence Witnesses, on 'iffy points'.
Even with the last expert, who blabbed about his knowledge, she stated "I don't want to be mislead". She continued on this, disagreeing with Loftus.
The last Defence Expert, Saaiman, did not appear.
Is it because, he would be similar to the other two, and Judge is aware?
I hope so.

After being 'on bail', for so long, I think JR will be locked up, and will get a taste of prison life.
His plan for life with Joelene by killing Susan, was not successful.
Then his Appeals.:( Great, as more of his money lost. Pleased JR's money must be dwindling.
Now the long wait until 6 Nov.

Thank you tmar for trial updates, this is a frustrating case, to say the least.

u7ISekszpcRFaoB9iFRdse2SCxEGYS23w2kkVshKkXUuhCZ6PUFJ9K4PD7g0bMAdUw=w300

I can't understand how time of death can't be established as fact and accepted as such, Susan's body wasn't submerged in water for hours or found months later in the scrub.
I suppose it will be up to the Judge. How can they determine which results of the autopsies is the correct one?:eek:

A sticking point for me is that JR had showered and was fully dressed which I thought from the beginning, strange, the time of death is crucial.
Also, it's highly suspicious he couldn't open the door himself, he obviously wanted a witness, but he could be innocent and thought he would incriminate himself if Susan is dead behind the door, a very cold and calculating person.

If JR did commit this crime, he may well get away with it, sadly. :(

I found it difficult to accept the last pathologists opinions. He was making assumptions based on photos and wasn’t convincing. Surely the pathologist’s opinions from the actual post-mortem will be considered more accurate. I am feeling though that JR may walk. The Judge here however is very astute and we shall see.

Thank you tmar for trial updates, this is a frustrating case, to say the least.

u7ISekszpcRFaoB9iFRdse2SCxEGYS23w2kkVshKkXUuhCZ6PUFJ9K4PD7g0bMAdUw=w300

I can't understand how time of death can't be established as fact and accepted as such, Susan's body wasn't submerged in water for hours or found months later in the scrub.
I suppose it will be up to the Judge. How can they determine which results of the autopsies is the correct one?:eek:

A sticking point for me is that JR had showered and was fully dressed which I thought from the beginning, strange, the time of death is crucial.
Also, it's highly suspicious he couldn't open the door himself, he obviously wanted a witness, but he could be innocent and thought he would incriminate himself if Susan is dead behind the door, a very cold and calculating person.

If JR did commit this crime, he may well get away with it, sadly. :(

I agree with all of this. So well said.

I agree with all of this. So well said.

I feel the Judge, with her continual interjections of Defence Experts,
is 'seeing through' their accounts.
However, what is permitted by law!
Another wait.

I am hoping with all these extensions, it costs JR more.
As posted previously, the expensive house was under Susan's name, so a divorce would cost heaps for JR, (murder cheaper!!!), so perhaps his money now is limited.

I found it difficult to accept the last pathologists opinions. He was making assumptions based on photos and wasn’t convincing. Surely the pathologist’s opinions from the actual post-mortem will be considered more accurate. I am feeling though that JR may walk. The Judge here however is very astute and we shall see.

Yes Hag.
The Judge also made a point about this, not agreeing with Loftus.
I loved it, when she stated, "I don't want to be mislead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member