TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It drives me crazy! No person should ever be missing. That’s why I’m here at WS. There are just too many, and it makes me so sad.
Me, too! I think the hardest part for these poor families has to be NOT knowing... I don't think I'd be able to survive if I didn't know where my son was. I am praying that this young man is found today!

There was a man years ago 3-5 yrs. that got in wreck and walked off and still hasn’t been seen. I can’t think of his name. I know that’s obscure. I just wanted to see if update. I think John Lordan covered the case. Not Brandon Lawson (ran out of gas).

If Jason survived the accident, (assuming he did, since his body was not at the scene), then there is hope. He could be disoriented and lost, but still alive.

I am recalling the Whidbey Island, Washington state story where 4-year-old twins Rosaline and Aurora Crider were in booster seats in the back of a car that crashed and killed their dad - who was driving. The girls managed to get out of their seats and crawl out of a broken window at the back of the vehicle. Shoeless, they crawled 100 feet up a ravine to the road, the police said. It was pitch black. The girls stood there on the road until a passerby saw them.

Hoping for a miracle for Jason’s family.

jmo

I have no idea why he would have removed some of his clothes. That’s bizarre. What do you guys think?

It's called paradoxical undressing. from one of the many articles found online about the topic:

As strange as the terminal-burrowing behavior might seem, an act called "paradoxical undressing" is even more confounding. The term describes the behavior among many victims of extreme hypothermia of peeling off most or all of their clothing, increasing heat loss.

Over time, however, the muscles necessary for inducing vasoconstriction become exhausted and fail, causing warm blood to rush from the core to the extremities. This results in a kind of "hot flash" that makes victims of severe hypothermia — who are already confused and disoriented — feel as though they're burning up, so they remove their clothes, researchers have concluded.

Paradoxical undressing often occurs immediately before terminal burrowing.

•Ken Landry (dad) said there is someone who knows what happened to his son and is pleading for anyone with information about to come forward.

IMHO I feel that the way this is worded, that it doesn't necessarily mean there IS SOMEONE that knows something. To me, it could mean the father is simply being optimistic that someone knows something. I'm not putting a lot of weight on that one sentence to 100% mean what it implies it could mean. Again, JMO.

More than Brandon Lawson, this reminds me of Brandon Swanson who was also coming home from a party after finishing his first year of college. He got into a single car accident on another dark, rural, short cut road on his way to Lynd, MN and called his parents who told him they were on their way. After a few calls, his parents said they were where he directed them that his car was but they didn't see anything. Seems like he was disoriented when he crashed. He seemingly became impatient and started walking toward what he believed were the lights of Lynd. While on the phone with his dad, he was walking and his call dropped right as he began to say "oh shi-". Dogs tracked his scent to a nearby river but numerous searches there and where the river emptied proved fruitless. They thought he may have fell in a well or sinkhole. Never found. This sounds identical. Extremely sad.

More than Brandon Lawson, this reminds me of Brandon Swanson who was also coming home from a party after finishing his first year of college. He got into a single car accident on another dark, rural, short cut road on his way to Lynd, MN and called his parents who told him they were on their way. After a few calls, his parents said they were where he directed them that his car was but they didn't see anything. Seems like he was disoriented when he crashed. He seemingly became impatient and started walking toward what he believed were the lights of Lynd. While on the phone with his dad, he was walking and his call dropped right as he began to say "oh shi-". Dogs tracked his scent to a nearby river but numerous searches there and where the river emptied proved fruitless. They thought he may have fell in a well or sinkhole. Never found. This sounds identical. Extremely sad.
That’s the one I was thinking of.

IMHO I feel that the way this is worded, that it doesn't necessarily mean there IS SOMEONE that knows something. To me, it could mean the father is simply being optimistic that someone knows something. I'm not putting a lot of weight on that one sentence to 100% mean what it implies it could mean. Again, JMO.
I honestly don’t know if his dad thinks something happened to him beyond a car accident. Like many have said, his dad may be grasping at all options, theories, etc. I can’t imagine what they are going through. When I came across the article & read that, I felt it needed to be shared.

Such a sad case. I wonder if he possibly even fell asleep at the wheel which caused the crash. It was late at night, he's a college student who may have been studying for finals a lot lately or hanging with friends late at night and may have been tired. I remember in college losing a friend from HS who fell asleep at the wheel during daylight hours driving home for summer break and they drove off a major highway, flipping their car because they fell asleep.

Others have mentioned an animal darting out, which is possible too. I think in the case, he must have missed the animal or typically there is some sort of evidence of the animal if it's hit, such as some blood on the front of the car, damage, or even the dead animal itself. I know this unfortunately due to hitting a deer (or it hitting me) twice living in the Midwest lol.

Of course, the biggest mystery is where he went after. I can see especially if you fell asleep, you would be very disoriented when waking up. Maybe he panicked and just started walking. I imagine he is somewhere nearby but just not found yet, sadly.

I am not feeling foul play with this but won't rule anything out yet. However, it sounds like they established it was a one-car wreck with no evidence he was forced off the road. I think it would be highly unlikely someone else would just happen upon him there who decided to do him harm. Not impossible, but not probable based on what others have said here who live in the area. It sounds like all his belongings were found in the car, so no robbery happened.

The ONLY thing that would maybe make sense in terms of some sort of foul play was if he ended up making it back to the main road. It sounds like his car was found 10 miles from the main road/town area? That is a long walk - doable for most people, but he also had just been in a bad wreck. It would probably take maybe 5 hours to walk that if you were going slowly (2 miles per hour). Less than that if moving quickly. But if the firefighter called this in around, what, midnight? And his parents were notified at 2 AM which means emergency vehicles would have been on the scene by then, I can't imagine him not seeing any of them come down that road, and why wouldn't you come out and wave your arms around for help at that point?

Such a sad case. I wonder if he possibly even fell asleep at the wheel which caused the crash. It was late at night, he's a college student who may have been studying for finals a lot lately or hanging with friends late at night and may have been tired. I remember in college losing a friend from HS who fell asleep at the wheel during daylight hours driving home for summer break and they drove off a major highway, flipping their car because they fell asleep.

Others have mentioned an animal darting out, which is possible too. I think in the case, he must have missed the animal or typically there is some sort of evidence of the animal if it's hit, such as some blood on the front of the car, damage, or even the dead animal itself. I know this unfortunately due to hitting a deer (or it hitting me) twice living in the Midwest lol.

Of course, the biggest mystery is where he went after. I can see especially if you fell asleep, you would be very disoriented when waking up. Maybe he panicked and just started walking. I imagine he is somewhere nearby but just not found yet, sadly.

I am not feeling foul play with this but won't rule anything out yet. However, it sounds like they established it was a one-car wreck with no evidence he was forced off the road. I think it would be highly unlikely someone else would just happen upon him there who decided to do him harm. Not impossible, but not probable based on what others have said here who live in the area. It sounds like all his belongings were found in the car, so no robbery happened.

The ONLY thing that would maybe make sense in terms of some sort of foul play was if he ended up making it back to the main road. It sounds like his car was found 10 miles from the main road/town area? That is a long walk - doable for most people, but he also had just been in a bad wreck. It would probably take maybe 5 hours to walk that if you were going slowly (2 miles per hour). Less than that if moving quickly. But if the firefighter called this in around, what, midnight? And his parents were notified at 2 AM which means emergency vehicles would have been on the scene by then, I can't imagine him not seeing any of them come down that road, and why wouldn't you come out and wave your arms around for help at that point?
I don't know, according to Google maps, it doesn't seem he was very far from the town and civilization. Where he would have missed the right turn to go towards I10 wasn't very far from where Spruce Road turns into Salt Flat Road. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

If you look at some of the video footage in the news reports, you can see them searching on a gravel road. SaltFlat does eventually go from paved/blacktop to gravel, several miles outside of town.

If you look at the Street View in the vicinity of this dropped pin -- near the intersection of Salt Flat and an un-named oil location road -- you'll see where the narrow, paved roadway becomes a gravel roadway.

I could see a scenario where JL may have been driving too fast for conditions and, upon encountering that nasty looking curve in the road just north of the dropped pin, possibly slid off the roadway and into a tree.

It was reported that he was about 10 miles from downtown Luling, not 10 miles from civilization. And in a post up thread, Jason’s mom, Lisa, was quoted as saying that where Jason ended up was on a road leading out of town, that you have to turn off of to get to I-10. If you happen to miss that turn, and keep going straight, the road turns into this gravel road. Apparently, that happens often and people have to turn around and go back to get to the more “main” part of the road to get to I-10. It sounds like he just missed the turn. Who knows what happened after that but, I’m thinking an animal probably darted out in front of him and he swerved to miss it, causing the accident. I don’t think it would have been a very long walk back to the main road. Hope this helps!

Many years ago when my sister was in her early twenties, she got her car stuck on some train tracks late at night. Needless to say, a train flattened it like a soda can. The minute she heard the train whistle, she said no way was she going home. She hitchhiked several states away and my poor parents didn’t hear from her for several days.

While I doubt it’s likely he did something similar... you just never know.

Last edited:
Do we know how long he has been going to Texas State? He’s 21 so I’m thinking probably a while. I would think he’s done that drive a zillion times, so it’s surprising he would miss that turn in Luling to get to I10. And even if he did, why would he continue driving the wrong way on a small road away from town for 10 miles? He would know right away that he missed the turn and turn around I would think.

Do we know how long he has been going to Texas State? He’s 21 so I’m thinking probably a while. I would think he’s done that drive a zillion times, so it’s surprising he would miss that turn in Luling to get to I10. And even if he did, why would he continue driving the wrong way on a small road away from town for 10 miles? He would know right away that he missed the turn and turn around I would think.

I'm not sure we can assume a while solely based on his age. Maybe he transferred or started working on a new/different degree at this school.

Many years ago when my sister was in her early twenties, she got her car stuck on some train tracks late at night. Needless to say, a train flattened it like a soda can. The
minute she heard the train whistle, she said no way was she going home. She hitchhiked several states away and my poor parents didn’t hear from her for several days.

While I doubt it’s likely he did something similar... you just never know.

Omg, that's horrible. I can only imagine how you and your parents felt for those few days until you heard from her.
I feel this is a different situation and seems very unlikely he's just embarrassed or ashamed to contact his family. There's lots of circumstantial evidence that unfortunately he was injured and not in a right state of mind and not equipped to make rational and/or survival decisions :/

Omg, that's horrible. I can only imagine how you and your parents felt for those few days until you heard from her.
I feel this is a different situation and seems very unlikely he's just embarrassed or ashamed to contact his family. There's lots of circumstantial evidence that unfortunately he was injured and not in a right state of mind and not equipped to make rational and/or survival decisions :/
I agree with you. I’m just wishing it is something with a happy ending.

I'm not sure we can assume a while solely based on his age. Maybe he transferred or started working on a new/different degree at this school.
Very true. I don’t know what it would mean anyway. I just started thinking about it and it seems to me that even if you had done that drive only once before, you would know you turn in Luling and that you never go on a gravel road. So if it just seems that you wouldn’t keep driving for 10 whole miles on a country road turning to gravel before you crash. I don’t know. Could he have already had a medical emergency at that point? Probably not—just trying to make sense of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amandalynn72