Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
People with a compulsive disorder. I recall that I've read about this case in the past and back then I found it quite strange that he squeezed the ice cream out of the containers and dug out the melon with his bare hands and defecated onto paperwork but also neatly folded his clothes. Investigators say his blood tested negative for drugs or alcohol but this seems like the behavior of someone under the influence of drugs who then sobered up - but possibly someone in the midst of a psychotic episode who then recovered and began acting more rationally - excessively so even.

That's an interesting thought.

It could be that he squeezed the ice cream out/ate the melon with just his left hand -- assuming it was his right hand that he'd sliced open in the knife attack.

As for zero in the toxicity report, I have to wonder about that. Because if he did injure his hand badly enough to leave his blood everywhere while at the same time staying in the house for hours on end, he had to manage the pain somehow. Perhaps he took some painkillers from the house after leaving his samples around the house which is why they didn't show up in the sample.

And I agree, there does seem to be a disconnect between the level of violence versus his actions afterwards.

The European connection would be from mum after mitochondrial dna was taken from the defection so I believe that it will be a recent European connection as it does not change down the line . See excerpt attached.

Really interesting!

As I understand it, they had his blood, excrement, hair, clothes, fingerprints and presumably saliva given that he ate in the house. I suppose enough DNA material to run all the tests they wanted.

Fascinating case! So brutal and all that evidence left behind.

As others have mentioned, my first thought is mental illness or drugs. Since the killer's blood was left behind, do you know if it was tested for drugs (prescription or illegal)?

Thank you, Amanda! It seems as if they did test it and the killer had nothing in his system in terms of drugs or alcohol. The most we can tell from the contents of his stomach was that he was eating string beans with sesame (a typical comfort dish in Japan). One of the things TMPD floated was him being a 'momma's boy' off the back of this dish / the fact his handkerchiefs were ironed. Which is assuming the food was home-made and the handkerchiefs were ironed by his mother.

Then again, he could just be a neat freak and the string beans were from any izakaya / restaurant in Tokyo.

Started to follow this thread and am fascinated by the info available and also a little astounded the murders weren't solved . FP , good luck as you move forward with yr work . I don't have anything meaningful to add to out fab sluthers here but I'll be following with interest .

Thank you, Fidobell :)

It is hard to understand how after 22 years, pieces of evidence reaching up to 16,000, and 280,000 LE personnel put on this case that we have no answers. More to the point, not only do we have any answers, we don't even had a solid working theory for why this happened.

It's a deep rabbit hole! Thanks for your kind words, appreciate that.

What happened to the grandmother who lived next door? Did she move away after the killings?

I actually don't have much detail on her. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure if she's still alive.

I do know that the other grandmother, Setsuko Miyazawa, is very involved in interviews and so on.

Ex-detective in Setagaya family murders still supports mother | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis

‘Why can’t it be solved?’ Still no suspect in 2000 killing of family | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis

Really interesting!

As I understand it, they had his blood, excrement, hair, clothes, fingerprints and presumably saliva given that he ate in the house. I suppose enough DNA material to run all the tests they wanted.

It would be very cool to get Parabon's Snapshot DNA phenotyping analysis on this guy to see a composite. Just to get an idea of what his face looks like would be amazing. They'd likely be able to tease out any more (stronger) European features if present.

It would be very cool to get Parabon's Snapshot DNA phenotyping analysis on this guy to see a composite. Just to get an idea of what his face looks like would be amazing. They'd likely be able to tease out any more (stronger) European features if present.

Funny you should say that, Annemc2...! I can't get into too much detail on that front, sadly.

But yes, it would be amazing. I don't imagine cases like Sierra Bouzigard, Michael Henslick etc have escaped the attention of the TMPD.

Welcome, FacelessPodcast.

I don't comment a lot on threads, mostly just read and follow.

I am curious about the knife. How do they know that it was purchased the day before? It seems like that could have provided potential leads, but...? Seems like there is mixed or confusing info on where it was purchased.

Also, did they say how the killer exited the house? Was it back through the window or through the front door? If it was through the window, are they sure it's the way he entered the house too? (Which direction were screen wires bent? Was there blood on the wires? Had the screen beenfully removed before he went through the window?)

Also, dna technology has changed/improved over time. When was the last time various components were tested?

Did they publicize the clothing at the time of the murders? If he was a mamma's boy, I would guess she would have recognized all the items of clothing from news reports. So, imo, she either has a gut feeling it's him and never came forward or he was old enough to live on his own. MOO.

Could it have been a sick dare? Are the TMPD certain there was only one killer/person in the house?

Is there someone/types of people that the TMPD can't "touch", like diplomats, certain high-ranking members of society, etc.? As in, could they have a good idea of who did it but it is better not to "solve" it?

Rather than either Miyazawa being targeted for themselves or what they did, could they have been targeted in order to hurt someone else in the family, as in a wish to make someone else suffer this loss of the entire family?

Just random thoughts which may have zero importance.

I hope the killer can be found for the sake of the Miyazawa family.

Welcome, FacelessPodcast.

I don't comment a lot on threads, mostly just read and follow.

I am curious about the knife. How do they know that it was purchased the day before? It seems like that could have provided potential leads, but...? Seems like there is mixed or confusing info on where it was purchased.

Also, did they say how the killer exited the house? Was it back through the window or through the front door? If it was through the window, are they sure it's the way he entered the house too? (Which direction were screen wires bent? Was there blood on the wires? Had the screen beenfully removed before he went through the window?)

Also, dna technology has changed/improved over time. When was the last time various components were tested?

Did they publicize the clothing at the time of the murders? If he was a mamma's boy, I would guess she would have recognized all the items of clothing from news reports. So, imo, she either has a gut feeling it's him and never came forward or he was old enough to live on his own. MOO.

Could it have been a sick dare? Are the TMPD certain there was only one killer/person in the house?

Is there someone/types of people that the TMPD can't "touch", like diplomats, certain high-ranking members of society, etc.? As in, could they have a good idea of who did it but it is better not to "solve" it?

Rather than either Miyazawa being targeted for themselves or what they did, could they have been targeted in order to hurt someone else in the family, as in a wish to make someone else suffer this loss of the entire family?

Just random thoughts which may have zero importance.

I hope the killer can be found for the sake of the Miyazawa family.

Thank you, Vls. It's so nice to be part of WS :)

And great post, thank you again. In answer to your questions (apologies for the length).

I'm not exactly sure how they know about the knife but the killer left it there in the house. I imagine the police would've done basic leg work to check where it was available starting in the local area and then eliminated all other recent purchases. As only 1,500 such knives were ever produced, I guess it wouldn't have been so hard to make the connection that one was sold the day before nearby and they couldn't locate the person who bought it.

It seems as if they tracked the knife to a nearby supermarket in Kichijoji. If you check out Part 2 of my full case breakdown, there's a whole paragraph on the knife. But I agree that it's unclear where the knife actually came from. The police don't ever narrow it done more than '46 outlets in the Kanto region costing 3,500YEN.' And yes, it could definitely create leads!

The way he enters and exits the house is also up for debate. It's possible he entered through the front door raising the possibility that he knew the family. It's also possible, of course, that he simply knocked on the door and Mikio opened it unwittingly. The problem is with that version of events is that the killer attacked Rei first who was upstairs asleep. So, how would the killer get past Mikio on the ground floor. I *suppose*, if we run with the idea that he knew the family, it's possible the killer got into the house. Spoke with Mikio. Then went upstairs for a bathroom break or something, then killed Rei. But it doesn't seem very likely. After all, if he's willing to kill the entire family, why wouldn't he just walk out the front door in the morning too? We know the grandmother discovered the bodies. Why would he be afraid to kill her too?

It's also possible he got in through the window (we know a lot of police concentrated on the bathroom window during their investigation). He could've left through the front door in the morning. If I were in his shoes and it was already daylight, that's the risk I'd take versus climbing back out through a bathroom window. Unfortunately, the grandmother can't remember if the front door was locked when she arrived. The police found it locked, though. Whether or not this was the grandmother locking it by reflex when she left to call the authorities, I don't think we'll ever know.

As for the mosquito screen, I think I'm right on saying it was found on the ground outside the house. And there were broken twigs and footprints on the ground beneath the window. Quite possible he did that on the way out if he both entered and left the house that way, of course. I can't give you any more detail than that. Other than to say I think the police found it strange that there weren't many fibres / scuffs on his clothes from climbing through the window.

RE: when was the last time DNA was tested by the TMPD. Unfortunately, we have no answers on this.

Yes, I think they did make their information public. I don't have an exact timeline of when what is made available but if you look at my full case breakdown, you can see the image with every single detail relating to every single he left in the house including his clothes.

And I think you're right, if it's a parent, they might well see their own son in this case. Especially because it's almost certain he would have been missing the night before new years eve and would have turned up home on the 31st of December with a hand injury and, perhaps, a not insignificant quantity of money. Plus, he'd be wearing the clothes of another man that the father/mother never would have seen before. But I think I mentioned in a recent comment, I'm not sure what basis the police have for saying he's a momma's boy beyond him eating string beans and ironing his handkerchief. Without anything more than that, feels like guesswork?

It could have been a dare. But murdering two children and two adults and then staying in the house for hours, logging on to their computer, eating their ice cream and melon, drinking their tea, using their first aid kit, leaving your clothes neatly folded up in the house and leaving the next day in the father's clothes to be pursued by LE in the most notorious family murder in Japanese history... that's some dare. Of course, it's possible. And it's quite possible it was never meant to go as far as it did. But we simply can't know his motives yet.

The TMPD investigated initially the possibility of more than one assailant. But it seems they discard this pretty quickly. I think they would have found more than one set of footprints in the blood, DNA etc. Plus, if you look at the video of the house, it's not an expansive place. Two murderers in that place walking around would've been pretty tight. I can't 100% categorically rule this out though.

Vls, your point about untouchable people the TMPD can't go near; I wish I could say more here. I really do. (To clarify, it's not like I have insider info on that front. But based on things I've got going on with the podcast, I just can't expand yet). But let me just say, I like the way you think!

And as for the Miyazawa's being targeted almost indirectly; again, anything is possible. Often, I think we look for a tangible link. But it could be as simple as the killer seeing one of the family members and deciding he wants them. And for nothing more than them having the bad fortune to go to the same supermarket as him one Tuesday afternoon. If it was targeted to hurt a relative, I imagine the police would have rooted out that kind of skeleton in the closet. I imagine...

Was there a big gap in time between each of the killings? I ask since there is a definite order. Often time of death can be narrowed to a certain window. But, were all four within the same time window? If so, how did they determine order of death?

Was there a big gap in time between each of the killings? I ask since there is a definite order. Often time of death can be narrowed to a certain window. But, were all four within the same time window? If so, how did they determine order of death?

I think the gap between the order of death was small.

Rei first. The little boy asleep in his bed. He was strangled and there was no blood on him whatsoever, the only person the house to not have any on him. So, it's clear he was first.

Mikio second, coming up the stairs from the PC on the ground floor, and they clash on the landing. The killer stabs him and the point of the knife breaks off in Mikio's skull.

Then the killer goes up the ladder to the attic where Yasuko and her daughter Niina are asleep. He begins to stab them in the face area but aborts his attack and goes back downstairs. Blood is found in the futon in attic as well as some tissues or bandages with Niina's blood on them. Yasuko then carries her down the ladder. By then the killer has returned with a kitchen knife and stabs them both far beyond the point of death.

I suppose they determined the order based on blood and the sequence of events making the most sense. They think the killer came in at roughly 10:30pm based on Mikio's computer usage / work documents on the PC.

It's always puzzled me that the killer would attack Rei first unless he simply entered the first room he came to and it happened to be the kids' bedroom (directly opposite the bathroom). Perhaps he couldn't contain his need to kill. Anyway, if we know Rei is first, then Mikio would have to be second as the killer would be very unlikely to risk attacking Yasuko and Niina without him being dead first. Plus the knife fragment was found in his head and perhaps the broken knife wound signature matched both Yasuko and Niina. I'm afraid I don't have that exact explanation available.

The other thing that seems so weird, from the article linked in the first post, "They know that the sweatshirt he left was only manufactured and sold 130 times, but officers have only ever been able to track down 12 owners."

Between the rarity of that, the rarity of the knife, and the rarity of the dirt/sand sample, they had some very unique leads... that just seemed to go... nowhere.

It does seem to me that the murderer either left the country soon thereafter or is dead, imo. It seems like if he had been local(ish) that surely he would have been found.

The other thing that seems so weird, from the article linked in the first post, "They know that the sweatshirt he left was only manufactured and sold 130 times, but officers have only ever been able to track down 12 owners."

Between the rarity of that, the rarity of the knife, and the rarity of the dirt/sand sample, they had some very unique leads... that just seemed to go... nowhere.

It does seem to me that the murderer either left the country soon thereafter or is dead, imo. It seems like if he had been local(ish) that surely he would have been found.

I totally agree.

And it just doesn't make any sense. Inside the house, he leaves 16,000 pieces of evidence, leaves his DNA everywhere, not even attempting to hide his presence there.

But then the minute he walks out of the door, he becomes Jason Bourne and not a single solitary peep since then? I know the first detective on the scene said that they looked at similar crimes in the area but nothing matched to it at the time, and clearly nothing has matched to it since.

As you say, he's almost certainly either dead or long gone. Alternatively, he's found a way to live off the grid and just been incredibly careful and quiet ever since. It is possible, I suppose. I know the killer in the Lindsay Hawker case lived that way for several years (?) until his eventual capture.

Screenshot-2022-02-15-at-20-21-24.png

Off the back of Evilwise's great post. Do we have any thoughts on why the killer would wrap the mother in his own jacket after her death? (I'm assuming it's his jacket).

Screenshot-2022-02-15-at-20-21-24.png

Off the back of Evilwise's great post. Do we have any thoughts on why the killer would wrap the mother in his own jacket after her death? (I'm assuming it's his jacket).
Well, we pretty much know that a frenzied stabbing is more likely to have an element of "passion" (not necessarily a specific kind) and that covering the victim connotes some remorse and/or caring, right? So this would point to the mother being the main target, possibly. Also the fact that personal items (including from the mother's purse) were found discarded in the toilet with feces alludes to strong personal feelings. Like he literally defecated on their belongings or purposefully put them into a feces-laden toilet.

Or it's all just completely psychotic and nonsensical - so frustrating!

I think the way he covered her with the jacket indicates an attitude change over the course of the night as he had hours to cool down and think about what he'd done. Yet again it feels like the tutoring student suggestion. Maybe he had developed feeling for her as she was tutoring him but was spurned and additionally humiliated by the husband causing murderous rage - but then after he'd had his revenge and the rage passed he remembered his feelings for her and draped his jacket over her body

I also have to say regarding 16,000 pieces of evidence and the 280,000 law enforcement personnel, that all seems like excuses to me. When I watched that video of media being taken into the house (past the curtains completely covering the exterior) and shown those stacks and stacks of file boxes, like literally every single thing in the house had been cataloged and stored it just seems weird. Like, it can't ALL be evidence. Showing those little models they've made of the house. What's up with these videos of legions of cops standing in rows on the streets outside? It just all seems a lot more like "look at how much effort we're putting in" rather than "this is the effort we're putting in". They have 16,000 pieces of evidence but the public has only been made aware of about 30? Much of even that seems like the public info is the conclusions that investigators have drawn from the evidence not the evidence itself.

I'm not sure if it's a language barrier or just a cultural thing but this does not seem at all the way a case like this would be investigated here in the US or other western nations.

Agreeing with annemc2 and evilwise re: the jacket. I have similar thoughts.

I, too, feel like there are cultural differences at play here in how this case was initially investigated, info was released (or not), etc.

What time did the mother/grandmother next door generally get up and start her morning? I am wondering if the killer had already exited the scene prior to that so as to not accidentally be seen when leaving. How busy was that street at different times of the morning when someone may have noticed someone exiting the house? My gut says he would have left under cover of darkness but that's entirely guesswork on my part.

Did the killer wear his shoes the entire time in the house? (Are the bloody footprints shoe tracks?) Culturally, many Japanese households leave their "outsde" shoes at the doorway and use house slippers. Not that a killer is likely to remove his shoes before entering (especially if he came through the window) but I wonder if that points to a cultural difference of the killer (especially if he stayed in the house long enough to calm down/realize what he had done)? Did he remove his shoes at any point if he was indeed in the house a long time? Did he clean his shoes before exiting?

As someone else mentioned, those shoes don't look like skateboarding shoes to me.

Were any local(ish) students investigated, especially any who missed big exams or did poorly prior to or right after the murders (since she was a cram teacher)?

I am still hung up on the clothes. So much detail about the exact outfit and even the cologne he wore, but no leads of importance based on that?

I think the way he covered her with the jacket indicates an attitude change over the course of the night as he had hours to cool down and think about what he'd done. Yet again it feels like the tutoring student suggestion. Maybe he had developed feeling for her as she was tutoring him but was spurned and additionally humiliated by the husband causing murderous rage - but then after he'd had his revenge and the rage passed he remembered his feelings for her and draped his jacket over her body

I also have to say regarding 16,000 pieces of evidence and the 280,000 law enforcement personnel, that all seems like excuses to me. When I watched that video of media being taken into the house (past the curtains completely covering the exterior) and shown those stacks and stacks of file boxes, like literally every single thing in the house had been cataloged and stored it just seems weird. Like, it can't ALL be evidence. Showing those little models they've made of the house. What's up with these videos of legions of cops standing in rows on the streets outside? It just all seems a lot more like "look at how much effort we're putting in" rather than "this is the effort we're putting in". They have 16,000 pieces of evidence but the public has only been made aware of about 30? Much of even that seems like the public info is the conclusions that investigators have drawn from the evidence not the evidence itself.

I'm not sure if it's a language barrier or just a cultural thing but this does not seem at all the way a case like this would be investigated here in the US or other western nations.

I agree, Evilwise. The fact the mother is the only one covered with the jacket and the fact she's the one that receives most of the violence -- that has to be significant. I don't want to put words in the killer's mouth, but without saying as much, it feels like he's telling us Yasuko was the object of his desires here. And if we covet what we see, then it's reasonable to conclude that he might well have had a connection to her through her tutoring. Though it's possible, of course, that he could have seen her anywhere.

And you make such a good point regarding the big numbers thrown around in this case. 16,000 pieces of evidence but we've only seen a fraction of that number.

I can't talk too much about the TMPD themselves, one thing we definitely want to avoid doing in the podcast is to avoid making hard and fast criticisms of anyone or any institution. I know very little about Japan, comparatively. But I do have questions about what has been kept back and really, what value is there is still keeping so much back from the public at this point. It's been 22 years, what have you got to lose at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB