NE NE - Jason Jolkowski -19 - Omaha - 13 Jun 2001 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That reminded me of something long forgotten (though maybe I have mentioned it). I don't remember when the car went in for hail damage repair, but later that summer I was walking my dog and noticed it was back. Jim was outside, and I asked him if he was keeping it for the other boy, or was thinking of selling it. "Oh no!", he said, "Jason is going to need that when he returns some day. We believe he will be brought back to us." That is how optimistically hopeful he has been this whole time.

That reminded me of something long forgotten (though maybe I have mentioned it). I don't remember when the car went in for hail damage repair, but later that summer I was walking my dog and noticed it was back. Jim was outside, and I asked him if he was keeping it for the other boy, or was thinking of selling it. "Oh no!", he said, "Jason is going to need that when he returns some day. We believe he will be brought back to us." That is how optimistically hopeful he has been this whole time.
That just makes me feel so sad! I am glad that you as their former neighbour have been able to give us some insight into this case. It has helped keep this case in the public eye. I just hope someday it will be solved via discovery of JJ or by the conscience of whoever did wrong to this young man.

Agree completely. The theories that JJ ended things or that he ran away are simply not plausible & maybe even impossible - especially given that he vanished 22 years ago:

1) If JJ was so despondent that he chose to end things on the way to a pre-arranged pick-up with his co-worker (which I don't believe), where is the body?! The area was extensively searched by the authorities & the neighborhood/community after he disappeared. And, I believe if he had done something to himself someone would have found him eventually. And, if they hadn't found him then - he would definitely have been found in the 22 years since he vanished. I.e., it's evident that when people end things they can't hide their own bodies.

2) JJ had never lived away from home & didn't seem to have a lot of life experience outside of his home/family/school/job. So, I don't see him just suddenly "skipping town"; discarding his cell phone & not drawing any $ out of his bank account; starting a new life somewhere...and not telling his family what he's doing or where he was going - for 22 years.

Going along with this, his family obviously had no idea what happened to him because they were proactive in getting the word out & actively searching for him. This included going on TV shows to talk about his disappearance (most notably the MW show in 2004); etc.

So, I'll say that suicide and runoff are the least likely. But, I can't rule them out.
I will never ever discount the possibility of someone ending it out of nowhere. I've seen it TOOO many times. Too many to count and too many to actually start thinking about again. It freaking happens, and it can happen for the slightest freaking reason you could ever expect. JJ's actual life and who he was it the biggest mystery in this whole thing. Tears of a clown with his laughter?

Where is the body? There is a bridge that is a half-hour drive from JJ's home. I'm not saying it is what happened. But this poor soul was seen leaping off a bridge and he has sadly never been found.

So, I keep it on the back burner and look into those as possible theories, while looking around the community.

@CountSnap Were you comparing Jason's case to Nathaniel's, or was that link a mistake?
I think one major difference is that Nathaniel seems to have clearly been going through a difficult time. Also it's known that he willingly chose not to attend school that day (perhaps for a good reason).
Whereas Jason really seemed to be fine, heading to work, no known serious problems...

ETA: I agree with you that you never know what someone is hiding inside, though.

Obviously, this is all IMHO only:

Good conversation re: the JJ case. However, I remain unconvinced that JJ's ending things himself is even a viable slight possibility. Even if you made a good argument that JJ was despondent/depressed before he vanished, he was last seen walking on his block & didn't have access to his car ATT. As a pedestrian, he couldn't have gotten that far. And, by all accounts the area was extensively searched after he disappeared.

So, in essence I don't think he ended things not because I find that likely-hood impossible, since none of us know what others are going through. However, I don't think he ended things simply because he hasn't been found yet - and I think he would have been. Even if he was somehow missed during the initial (and by all account extensive) search - I strongly believe that he would have been found at some point in the 22 years since he vanished.

That all being said, was there a body of water in the vicinity of his neighborhood/the H.S.?! If so, how deep was this?! And, was this looked into?! I'm not at all familiar with the area.

I think sometimes people get a false sense of security re: this case because JJ vanished in mid-morning in a suburban neighborhood. However, I strongly suspect the answer lies within a home on the way to the high school, and/or a vehicle that picked him up on the way to the H.S. (the vehicle may or may not have been connected to someone living in the neighborhood). I grew up in a neighborhood similar to JJ's, and there are freaks/scum-bags in these areas - or passing through these areas. I.e., suburbia can be dangerous - in some cases.

Re: the NH case, this is also very sad. However, NH seemed like he had some serious issues before he vanished. And, since he hasn't been found in the years since he disappeared - it's not clear what happened here either. I.e., it's possible he's still around - somewhere.

Last edited:
Obviously, this is all IMHO only:

Good conversation re: the JJ case. However, I remain unconvinced that JJ's ending things himself is even a viable slight possibility. Even if you made a good argument that JJ was despondent/depressed before he vanished, he was last seen walking on his block & didn't have access to his car ATT. As a pedestrian, he couldn't have gotten that far. And, by all accounts the area was extensively searched after he disappeared.

So, in essence I don't think he ended things not because I find that likely-hood impossible, since none of us know what others are going through. However, I don't think he ended things simply because he hasn't been found yet - and I think he would have been. Even if he was somehow missed during the initial (and by all account extensive) search - I strongly believe that he would have been found at some point in the 22 years since he vanished.

That all being said, was there a body of water in the vicinity of his neighborhood/the H.S.?! If so, how deep was this?! And, was this looked into?! I'm not at all familiar with the area.

I think sometimes people get a false sense of security re: this case because JJ vanished in mid-morning in a suburban neighborhood. However, I strongly suspect the answer lies within a home on the way to the high school, and/or a vehicle that picked him up on the way to the H.S. (the vehicle may or may not have been connected to someone living in the neighborhood). I grew up in a neighborhood similar to JJ's, and there are freaks/scum-bags in these areas - or passing through these areas. I.e., suburbia can be dangerous - in some cases.

Re: the NH case, this is also very sad. However, NH seemed like he had some serious issues before he vanished. And, since he hasn't been found in the years since he disappeared - it's not clear what happened here either. I.e., it's possible he's still around - somewhere.
Same here, Detective Crockett :D Same here :D
Just opinions. Absolutely. And I'm just trying to keep at least an open side.
Now, as for walking there is a bus stop just down the street from him. Several of them.
Young guy without a car for stretches could very well have learned to hop in one and go. One day it's just, "Ok. Gotta take the bus so here I go." And then he could be anywhere.
As for Mr. Potts, yes, something had deeply troubled him. And so he did it. Mr. James "Darren" Mathis, had no indications whatsoever of trouble... We just have zero idea who JJ truly was deep down. No clue at all. JJ's case is a binary black hole in that regard. Who was he on the inside? And what happened to him?
It's also the one thing I wish more people knew: We have no idea what some people are going through that they just won't say. It's a sad freaking world out there and some folks just keep stuff in.
But, besides that, telling y'all, hug your loved ones. I've seen lives turned on the drop of a dime, and next minute that happy and smiling person has done the unthinkable.
So, won't continue on this path, as yep, all opinions, just hoping that if we all are continuing to think thoroughly and openly maybe we'll hit on something. I'll continue on with my triad of possibilities :D And, so, if some are hardcore no chance on the left town/sad suicide possibilities, which ultimately I hope he just decided to take off and is living well and will come back home, because the other options are horrific.
And, as we have zero evidence leading any way at all I am keeping open.
Would hate... hate...hate to think all we had to do was search a county auditor sight in Oklahoma and there he is living with Quacko the Wacko Clown or who knows what.... Right in plain sight all this time.
So, of course that said, still likely that something nefarious happened.
But, you all are amazing. Putting in so much time and effort for people you have never met, and may likely never.

Never bad to have various theories. Not totally opposed to the theories of suicide or running away, despite how slim they may be. The only theory I will never entertain is the hit and run theory.
I put the suicide and running away theories on my non considering ones. After following this case for so many years and reading all about JJ from pals and others, considering all possibilities, etc I feel informed enough to voice this opinion. As for hit and run, I agree it is a no go. I recall at one time it was said even the police listed JJ as missing due to foul play? Kind of odd though, as I would think usually there was evidence leading to that conclusion. Maybe it is because of the several investigators who have taken on this case, there was absolutely nothing to go on, no clues at all. And this is why I see many people including law enforcement call it one of the most baffling missing persons cases ever.

I think we're all in the general agreement that it was likely foul-play.
So the question remains who/how/when exactly? Such a short distance.
Still, those words always get me, "You better be there." From the person giving him the ride. Was he known, ever, to not show at the restaurant? Not show up for a ride? Was that it?
Think I've mentioned this so many times but it just bothers me. Could be nothing, but it's so odd. I've given people tons of rides everywhere and the only person I've ever said something like that to was an addict who needed to go in for treatment. (obviously not the same case here) Just pointing out that most of the time it's, "ok see you there in 15 minutes."
So if we take it from the top: he is at home, expecting to stay in for the morning. He has a shift later in the day. Gets a call asking him to come in early? He gets himself together and is out the door. He pulls up the trash bins. Then he walks away and is seen only by the 1 gentleman across the street.
In what, fewer than 10 blocks, only 1 person reports seeing him? And no one reports any distress along the way.
That is the general, "what we know" portion is it?

@CountSnap Were you comparing Jason's case to Nathaniel's, or was that link a mistake?
I think one major difference is that Nathaniel seems to have clearly been going through a difficult time. Also it's known that he willingly chose not to attend school that day (perhaps for a good reason).
Whereas Jason really seemed to be fine, heading to work, no known serious problems...

ETA: I agree with you that you never know what someone is hiding inside, though.
Hello. Hope all is well. Only point I was trying to make between them is that Nathaniel was under the age of 18 and managed to find his way out of town and state it appears. I've seen this happen time and time and time again. One kid I was the one who left home and joined the rail tramps. Saw the country from rail. Was happy in the end. So I think if JJ wanted to get out of dodge for whatever reason he would have been able to.

I think we're all in the general agreement that it was likely foul-play.
So the question remains who/how/when exactly? Such a short distance.
Still, those words always get me, "You better be there." From the person giving him the ride. Was he known, ever, to not show at the restaurant? Not show up for a ride? Was that it?
Think I've mentioned this so many times but it just bothers me. Could be nothing, but it's so odd. I've given people tons of rides everywhere and the only person I've ever said something like that to was an addict who needed to go in for treatment. (obviously not the same case here) Just pointing out that most of the time it's, "ok see you there in 15 minutes."
So if we take it from the top: he is at home, expecting to stay in for the morning. He has a shift later in the day. Gets a call asking him to come in early? He gets himself together and is out the door. He pulls up the trash bins. Then he walks away and is seen only by the 1 gentleman across the street.
In what, fewer than 10 blocks, only 1 person reports seeing him? And no one reports any distress along the way.
That is the general, "what we know" portion is it?
Yes I do agree that was a rather curt way for the coworker to talk to him but I believe they knew each other from high school. The pal was thoroughly questioned by LE. I believe that there wasn't anything untoward in her wording. Particularly as I assume she was the one who mentioned her phrasing to LE. Perhaps due to his slight learning issue he would misjudge times to get from point A to B or perhaps it was just lighthearted teen banter. IMO.
I do think the answer lies in one of the SO's or other criminals in the vicinity that he encountered.

Last edited:
Very possible. And did want to add not saying anything on her, or suspicious of her in any way. It was just interesting to me.
Also, reading back, that was kind of a last moment decision, "before he could head out the door XXXX, called Jason to tell him she could pick him up."
So, almost last second.

So we believe the odds low that some random attacker got him? Low do we think?
How low also do we maybe think that someone he who didn't live on those streets, but he did know, just happened to be driving down that street?
Is it more likely that in a 2 block parallel sweep of streets, is the likely area he went to someone's home, or someone from one of those homes got him?

<modsnip>

Just realized the case of Claudia Lawrence ( UK ) reminds me a lot of Jason's case. Claudia's car also broke down forcing her to walk to work ( chef's kitchens)..In Claudia's case it was "3 miles to walk" and she had been walking to & from work that whole week...She had to report to work 6AM...now u can see what happened here...that was really early to walk, probably dark outside, and people would've noticed her walking that route. My guess is it was just a random perp who noticed her pattern of movements & took her..in Jason's case I'm not sure how long he was without a car...this does play an important role, as the longer he was without his car , the more people would've noticed he was gonna walk.

In JJ's case, his walking to the H.S. that day & at that specific time was an anomaly. My understanding is that if his work hadn't called him in early that day, he would have gotten a ride with his dad to work later that day - from his home. I.e., he was originally scheduled to still go to work that day - but at a later time.

So, his walking to the H.S. was very last-minute. In fact, the original plan was for his co-worker to pick him up at his home. However, given that his co-worker didn't know where he lived, they mutually?! decided to have her pick him up at the H.S. - a location they were both familiar with (I believe both had graduated from there a couple of years earlier).

That all being said: By all accounts, JJ was known to walk around his neighborhood on a semi-regular basis in the months?! leading up to his disappearance - possibly in the evenings. So, yes - I can see that he would have been a familiar figure in the neighborhood/area due to his walking habit(s), and was possibly/probably noticed because of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

It is interesting that Mrs. Jolkowski (now Mrs. Murphy) says that Jason was waiting at the driveway of their home for his ride to work, which goes against the key aspect to Jason's disappearance as we know it for 20+ years. It's also horribly sad to watch that and see all the photos of Jason and his family and to hear Jason doing his radio show at the end.

She mentioned something similar in post #110 (I think) in the Part 1 discussion thread. She said the last sighting of him was in the driveway, that is to say nobody saw Jason walking in the direction of the school.

Several points:

-Re: the video in post #501 above, I interpret what JJ's mother said as a simple slip of the tongue & nothing more than that. I.e., all of us who have been following all of the details of this case are aware that JJ had made plans/arrangements to meet his co-worker at the H.S. & that she drove to the H.S. to meet him. Also, in all of the accounts I've read about the case - JJ's neighbor said that he saw him walking towards the H.S. from his home, and that's the last time he was seen. His brother last saw him pulling the garbage cans up from the curb, and may have also seen him walking towards the school. So, by all accounts the last sighting of him being seen walking down the street was corroborated by someone outside the family.

-JJ's brother was aware that JJ was going to the H.S. to meet his co-worker (who was giving him a ride). When the co-worker called the house to check on JJ's status (since he hadn't shown up at the H.S. within a reasonable time) - his brother allegedly pretended to be JJ, but then made it clear he was JJ's brother soon after; I've always considered this a harmless prank/joke that siblings will sometimes play on each other. He did then tell the co-worker that JJ had left & had walked to the H.S. to meet her.

-Also, correct me if I'm wrong re: this detail:

Going along with this, I don't think it was trash day on the Wednesday that JJ vanished. I.e., JJ was apparently pulling the cans up the driveway from the curb, not taking them out for trash pick-up. This is an important detail, given that some apparently theorize that JJ's disappearance may have been connected to a garbage/trash truck that was in the vicinity that day. However, if trash day was that Tuesday (i.e., the day before), then - unless the trash pick-up was late that week - I don't think the trucks would have been in the neighborhood on that Wednesday. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Last edited:
Going along with this, I don't think it was trash day on the Wednesday that JJ vanished. I.e., JJ was apparently pulling the cans up the driveway from the curb, not taking them out for trash pick-up. This is an important detail, given that some apparently theorize that JJ's disappearance may have been connected to a garbage/trash truck that was in the vicinity that day. However, if trash day was that Tuesday (i.e., the day before), then - unless the trash pick-up was late that week - I don't think the trucks would have been in the neighborhood on that Wednesday. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Wasteline. Omaha's Solid Waste Collection Program is the company that picks up Omaha garbage. The map shows Thursday as to being the pickup day. Pickups are done early in the AM, so you would pull your bins back in by lunchtime or earlier. A different contractor picks up the trash, so the day may have changed.

June 13, 2001 fell on a Wednesday, so the schedule must have been changed since then.

Wasteline. Omaha's Solid Waste Collection Program is the company that picks up Omaha garbage. The map shows Thursday as to being the pickup day. Pickups are done early in the AM, so you would pull your bins back in by lunchtime or earlier. A different contractor picks up the trash, so the day may have changed.

June 13, 2001 fell on a Wednesday, so the schedule must have been changed since then.

I stand corrected - Thanks very much for the info./clarification. So, if JJ was seen pulling the trash cans into the driveway from the bottom of the hill - the trash had presumably been picked up that day. And, if trash pick-up had been earlier that day (Wednesday), then it is possible that Trash trucks were still in the neighborhood/vicinity - when he began his walk to the school. I still don't think that detail has any connection to this case, but it's still good to know none-the-less.
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

It has never been publicly confirmed by anyone relevant that either the neighbor or his brother ever saw Jason walking in any direction. Kelly herself has stated multiple times here on WS that he was last seen in the driveway. That's it. Everyone (including reporters and bloggers) is just assuming he was walking towards the school because that was the plan. Maybe one or both of the witnesses did see him walking away. Perhaps they don't remember specifically. After all, there was zero reason to take special note on what 999,999 out of 1,000,000 times would have been a mundane summer morning. Same with the specific time when he left. It's presumed about 10:45. Only two people may know specifically the time when Jason was bringing the trash cans back in. And when did the manager call? Was it right around 10:30? or closer to 10 or 9:45? Did he have only a few minutes to get ready? Or 20-30? Did he leave earlier than the 10:45? I'm sure the investigators have more answers than we do.

<modsnip: encouraging others to contact witnesses>

I mentioned this under my old name but I was in Omaha on the day Jason vanished. I was there for the World Series. I was leaving that morning. Late in the morning. I may have been flying over Jason at that very moment. If money was no object for me, I'd buy ad time for a Super Bowl commercial and highlight his case.

My recollection is that Chester saw him pull the cans back from the curb. I have not seen the man for years. I believe he was at the 20 year memorial at the skateboard park. I wish I had gone. I think for that reason, there are theories that JJ might have walked up to the church or some other route first, but I guess I always assumed that he made a b-line for Benson High because of time.

The College World Series brings up an interesting tangent. I've meant to research if it had been going on at that same time because it does bring many people to our city, and JJ was such a big sports fan. It would have still been at the Rosenblatt Stadium then.

I don't see a connection, but I think everything that was happening in the area is important to consider.

It has never been publicly confirmed by anyone relevant that either the neighbor or his brother ever saw Jason walking in any direction. Kelly herself has stated multiple times here on WS that he was last seen in the driveway. That's it. Everyone (including reporters and bloggers) is just assuming he was walking towards the school because that was the plan. Maybe one or both of the witnesses did see him walking away. Perhaps they don't remember specifically. After all, there was zero reason to take special note on what 999,999 out of 1,000,000 times would have been a mundane summer morning. Same with the specific time when he left. It's presumed about 10:45. Only two people may know specifically the time when Jason was bringing the trash cans back in. And when did the manager call? Was it right around 10:30? or closer to 10 or 9:45? Did he have only a few minutes to get ready? Or 20-30? Did he leave earlier than the 10:45? I'm sure the investigators have more answers than we do.

Good points & clarifications. OK, so one of the "facts" that I always thought was true about this case may not have actually been verified.

I.e., at the least it seems like both the neighbor & JJ's brother actually saw him pulling the garbage cans up to the house - while in the driveway. However, it may not be 100% verified that either one actually saw him walking down the street. So, if this is the case - then there is no way to confirm which direction he was walking towards when he left the house.

I also agree that we don't know the exact time(s) that everything happened that morning.

By all accounts, it appears that it would take JJ roughly 15-20 minutes to walk to the H.S. parking lot from his house - without taking any side-trips along the way. Also by all accounts, the weather was clear that morning - so it shouldn't have taken him longer than usual to get the H.S. (as it possibly would have if there had been excessive rain/thunderstorms that morning, etc.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattooteena
Back