Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM. Considering Riley fell down walking across a flat parking lot, I find it highly unlikely he was able to stumble all the way down a rocky embankment before falling into a river and disappearing. That makes no sense whatsoever.

I think LE needs to pay more attention to the homeless encampments where several people claim they saw him but don't know where he went.

JMO
And planting a debit card makes more sense?
I can tell you exactly where he went: in the water.

"We looked back up. He almost fell over. The last bush right there caught him... He was very, very, very intoxicated... I never seen anybody stumble that hard before."

He said he didn't head closer to the street to check on Strain, since someone else was already there.

"I yelled up. They said, ‘He’s just drunk. He’s okay.’

The man said he reported the entire encounter to detectives and Strain's family.

He said Strain continued in the same direction up First Avenue. However, that's where Strain's trail stops. No other footage or cell phone activity go beyond that point, circa 10 p.m.

BBM: So LE have both the location of the ATM card and the bush as related by this witness. The witness then says: he continued "up First...". We can't tell what Up First exactly means but the witness was downhill from the bush when the yelling occurred so presumably closer to the river. Wouldn't "up First" normally mean further uphill from the water?
Would the location and condition of the card as found be consistent with it being dropped and if so, would it have been dropped prior to encountering The Bush, or more likely after the Bush?

Wasn't it dark though?
Wasn't it busy in that area around that time? Nobody would have heard it or saw it?
Gay St Connector, where he was, is a few blocks from Broadway where it is very busy. It's a side street that overlooks the river. No bars or anything in that particular area, mostly government buildings. I would be surprised if there were more than 2 or 3 people on the street at a time over there at night.

It's also an area that locals know is not very safe so, unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me that no one would stop. Someone stumbling around or arguing with someone else may not have appeared out of context.

Why didn’t he just lay down on one of those benches at the riverfront seen on the last video? He could had called his friends and gave them his location, and there seems to be enough people walking around to avoid someone rolling him.

Being drunk does not mean that you lose all sense of self-protection. And if it did we would likely see it outlawed again. I don’t drink now, but when I was his age I could drink a half case pretty much every night and not bat an eye. Stayed away from hard liquor pretty much, but when I was consuming it I would drink a bottle of vodka a night. And I am a beanpole.

I really wonder if he was on prescription medicine of any kind? Has his family been asked about this yet? If I had to guess it is something more than just what he drank at the bar(s) to prompt him to act so irrationally. I mean he was running at one point......he must have had ‘some’ wits about him. At least enough to make a phone call or to find the number for a cab.
Oh it can make a person lose all sense of self protection. Especially young males. But regardless of age or sex, you can watch dozens young dozens of super drunk people on YouTube getting arrested who seem simply insane. Most acting like toddlers. Trying to drive in that condition, fighting the cops, trying to get back in a car they crashed and drive off again, etc. It’s crazy.

We can't tell what Up First exactly means but the witness was downhill from the bush when the yelling occurred so presumably closer to the river. Wouldn't "up First" normally mean further uphill from the water?
To me it would me going north on First, vs down First meaning going south, but I'm a map-head.

Search Crews now in area where advocates on TikTok found RILEY STRAIN’S credit card today, near river by Gay St. I’m still waiting to hear from MNPD on if this changes course of the investigation to a “criminal investigation.” Until now, police have said no foul play is expected.
Who are the 'advocates on TikTok'? I wonder if they found the cc as part of an official search? Very thankful to these folks for finding this key item. Could be volunteers? MOO

And planting a debit card makes more sense?
I can tell you exactly where he went: in the water.
The terrain where the girls found his card looked pretty rocky and steep. I'd be surprised if he were able to make it down without falling again and hitting his head on the (what looked pretty sharp) rocks, leaving blood or tissue matter

The terrain where the girls found his card looked pretty rocky and steep. I'd be surprised if he were able to make it down without falling again and hitting his head on the (what looked pretty sharp) rocks, leaving blood or tissue matter
With all the falls he took beforehand, he’d be cut up regardless. This wouldn’t have helped any.

I can’t imagine there’s any blood to be found though, as I’m pretty sure it rained since then.

I wonder why so many wind up in the water? I guess simply because it’s easy to stumble into water when you’re intoxicated?
I wondered that too and did some research. It’s a thing I guess.

Very common in the UK:

“The 29-year-old had vanished on a Saturday night in Shrewsbury after going out to a nightclub with a friend. After leaving the venue at 3:45am, Shane had disappeared.
When police officers later examined CCTV footage, it was clear that after leaving, he had stumbled and fallen into the river on his way home.

Between 2010 and 2018, there have been at least 150 fatal cases of people going missing after a night of drinking, with the majority being young men under the age of 35. Of these disappearances, a staggering 85% are later found in water – in rivers, canals, lakes or the sea.”

Drunk men more likely to drown: study​

The Local Sweden

The Local Sweden- news@thelocal.se
Published: 20 Jun, 2013 CET.Updated: Thu 20 Jun 2013 07:24 CET

Drunk men more likely to drown: study

Men are twice as likely as women to drown, according to a new study, with middle-aged men with alcohol in their bodies posing the greatest risk.​

492 MEN HAVE DROWNED WHILST DRUNK. DON'T LET YOUR MATES DRINK AND DROWN​

With temperatures set to soar across the country, Royal Life Saving Society – Australia is urging people not to mix alcohol and water activities.
New data from Royal Life Saving Society – Australia reveals that 2,760 men lost their lives due to drowning in the past 15 years, between 1 July 2003 and 30 June 2018.
Of those deaths, 18% are known to have had a contributory level of alcohol in their system. This figure has the potential to be higher, given that the blood alcohol content was unknown in a further 42% of cases.

• Every day, about 10 people die from unintentional drowning.
  • Nearly 80 percent of the people who die from drowning are male.
  • For males, the drowning rate increases substantially again between ages 15 to 24, where males are almost six times as likely to drown than females.

I hope they've had a expert determining the current flows and the timing calculations regarding where a body could be after 9 days. That is, if the body is not snagged somewhere under water, or already on an isolated bank on either side of the river.

Yes, related to this, I recall reading about a case years ago where a college girl was very drunk, and managed to sleep a few hours in her dorm but needed to drive somewhere in the morning.

To try and sober herself up and dilute the alcohol, she began to drink water. It wound up intensifying her intoxication and she got into an accident. The explanation was that the water mixed with the alcohol that was in her system and organs, effectively causing her to get drunk all over again.

Respectfully, I don't think this is physically possible.

I wondered that too and did some research. It’s a thing I guess.

Very common in the UK:

“The 29-year-old had vanished on a Saturday night in Shrewsbury after going out to a nightclub with a friend. After leaving the venue at 3:45am, Shane had disappeared.
When police officers later examined CCTV footage, it was clear that after leaving, he had stumbled and fallen into the river on his way home.

Between 2010 and 2018, there have been at least 150 fatal cases of people going missing after a night of drinking, with the majority being young men under the age of 35. Of these disappearances, a staggering 85% are later found in water – in rivers, canals, lakes or the sea.”

Drunk men more likely to drown: study​

The Local Sweden

The Local Sweden- news@thelocal.se
Published: 20 Jun, 2013 CET.Updated: Thu 20 Jun 2013 07:24 CET

Drunk men more likely to drown: study

Men are twice as likely as women to drown, according to a new study, with middle-aged men with alcohol in their bodies posing the greatest risk.​

492 MEN HAVE DROWNED WHILST DRUNK. DON'T LET YOUR MATES DRINK AND DROWN​

With temperatures set to soar across the country, Royal Life Saving Society – Australia is urging people not to mix alcohol and water activities.
New data from Royal Life Saving Society – Australia reveals that 2,760 men lost their lives due to drowning in the past 15 years, between 1 July 2003 and 30 June 2018.
Of those deaths, 18% are known to have had a contributory level of alcohol in their system. This figure has the potential to be higher, given that the blood alcohol content was unknown in a further 42% of cases.

• Every day, about 10 people die from unintentional drowning.
  • Nearly 80 percent of the people who die from drowning are male.
  • For males, the drowning rate increases substantially again between ages 15 to 24, where males are almost six times as likely to drown than females.
Interesting! Is it because men are more likely to stumble along alone (near water in these cases ) and females would be less willing to walk alone in the dark?

MAR 17, 2024
News 2 spoke with the two women who have been searching for signs of Strain in Nashville, one since Tuesday, March 12 and the other since Sunday morning. They have been looking around a wooded area that goes down to the Cumberland River, which is where they said they found Strain’s bank card.

bank card location.png
News 2 spoke with the women who said they found Riley Strain’s bank card in this wooded area by the Cumberland River. (Photo: WKRN)

Strain’s family has also been at the scene, as well as detectives, to talk to the women who made the discovery. Strain’s relatives told News 2 that police said members of the Nashville Office of Emergency Management (OEM) were on the way to check the area with boats again.

The women who found the bank card encourage others to come out and help with the search for the missing Mizzou student. ...

[...]

MAR 17, 2024
A national nonprofit that helped aid in the Covenant School shooting is joining the search for the missing University of Missouri student Riley Strain.

[...]

More than a dozen volunteers are currently planned in rotation search patrols to help support the law enforcement and other volunteer teams searching for Strain.

[...]

Unfortunately I can easily see how this situation might have unfolded as a pure accident. He's intoxicated, meant to be heading back to the hotel but got turned around. He needs to heed a call of nature after all that drinking, and where better to go than by the river where no one will see him? He heads down, realizes he can't see where he's going without some light, so he reaches into his pocket to pull out his phone, dislodging his bank card that he stashed in there at the bar. At some point he slips and enters the water, and that was that. :(

IMO, MOO, etc., etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member