Found Deceased IL - William Weber, 92, Endangered due to medical condition, driving silver Chev Malibu, East Moline, 29 Mar 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1711947227806.png

EAST MOLINE, Illinois (KWQC) - The East Moline Police Department has activated an Endangered Missing Person Advisory. The East Moline Police Department is asking for help locating 92-year-old William Weber. He is a white male, 5 foot 11 inches, and weighs 170 pounds. William has gray hair and blue eyes and is possibly wearing a black Iowa Hawkeyes jacket, blue t-shirt, sweatpants, and slippers.

Pictures posted on PD FB:
1711947821918.png
1711947855481.png

EAST MOLINE, Ill. (KWQC) - East Moline Police say they are still trying to find a man who was reported missing one week ago.

William “Bill” Weber, 92, was last seen last Friday evening when family members delivered groceries to his East Moline apartment.

However, when they returned the following morning, Weber, his car and walker were nowhere to be found.

More at link -- his daughter-in-law says that he hasn't driven in more then 7 months. He had a knee injury and it is hard for him to get out of his apartment with his walker, even with help.

I've said it before, this happens so frequently, and unexpectedly to many caring families - one day, one week, their elderly family member can drive just fine, and days or a couple weeks later, not fine at all. My 90 year old dad was driving back and forth to the grocery a couple blocks away without issues. He never drove anywhere else, someone taking him to church and for outings. I got a call one day that he'd picked up a hitchhiker and driven HUNDREDS of miles away to drop the young man off, then was lost and couldn't get home. He was OK, but it was a lesson I never forgot (he lived to be 102). I hope this family has a good outcome as well.

APR 11

EAST MOLINE, Ill. (KWQC) - A 92-year-old man of East Moline has been missing for nearly two weeks and police say they still have no strong leads regarding his disappearance or whereabouts.

With no wallet or cell phone, William “Bill” Weber, his car and walker have yet to be found. But his family says he hasn’t driven his car since October while rehabbing a broken knee.

The family also says he requires help to get up the stairs in order to exit his apartment building.

Nonetheless, he has disappeared without a trace.

More at ‘All hands on deck’: Police continue their search for missing East Moline man

April 30, 2024

EAST MOLINE, Ill. (KWQC) - The search continues for a missing East Moline man last seen one month ago.

Det. Riley Reeves says the East Moline Police Department has been working in conjunction with other local, state and federal agencies to find Weber, but have come up empty.

He said neighbors and family members have been interviewed more than once, but there are still no clues.

With nicer and warmer weather this spring, Weber’s family is urging those spending time outdoors, including mushroom hunters and boaters, to be on the lookout for Weber and his car.

Det. Reeves said DNR has searched the Mississippi River from Hampton to Moline, but with no luck.

He says drones have also looked at nearby boat ramps, however, flooding has made the search difficult in recent weeks.

EAST MOLINE, Ill. (KWQC) - A missing elderly man’s family continues to search for him as they held a public vigil Friday night.

William “Bill” Weber, 92, was last reported missing from his apartment building in East Moline on March 30. Police have been searching for Weber for weeks and so far, nothing has turned up.

Weber’s daughter said Friday night’s vigil was not only about remembering him, but reminding the community that they’re still looking.

Earlier today, a car with a human body in it was found submerged in the Mississippi River. The car has not been retrieved or the body identified, but it's quite likely that it was him (and if it wasn't, someone else will have answers) and the story is ongoing.

When it was time for us to get my grandmother to stop driving, which she loved to do and was still okay at, but it was starting to get iffy, she happened to break her knee. Which was awful. but we were like right now at least we know she physically can’t get to the car and drive. She still lived at home and we ended up having her recovery time to figure out what to do regarding her cognitive problems.

My grandfather comes in one day and tells me he’s hidden her car key. I laughed because I was like there’s no way she’d be able to get to the car and drive, she can’t walk on her leg and there are stairs.

But in retrospect it was probably a good move on his part because how would we know if one day she woke up with her knee feeling better and went for it.

I hope William was at peace at the end of his long life. It’s sad that it won’t be known where he was intending to go or why but if he had time to realize what was going on I hope he felt like he’d done all he needed and wanted to do with his time here.

Reactions: ?!?
Very sad outcome, Prayers to his family. I personally know how difficult it is to take a drivers license away from a parent ( and sold the car). I had a chitchat with Dr's involved to tell my mother she cannot drive anymore so they took the main hit for me Thank God.

Very sad news.

The article states he had not driven since October unfortunately, at that age 5 months is a very long time.

It’s a hard situation but sometimes family members have to be tough and take decisive action before an accident takes place in regards to driving.
Agree. We don’t know the full story here, but in general if it’s time for your loved one to stop driving , you might have to be creative. You have to know what they’ll most likely accept as well. If they will respect an authority figure’s opinion, ask the dmv or their doctor to talk to them (or forge a letter from one of them and stick it in the mailbox; only if you can make it convincing enough!). If they’re a need to see it to believe it person, do something to disable the car. Show them that it won’t start. Tell them it’s at the shop but store it somewhere.

It sounds crazy to some people to think about even telling a white lie to their parent or spouse but when it comes to unsafe driving you need to just do what works to get it stopped.

My favorite response I’ve heard from someone with dementia was “okay but I wasn’t a good driver to start with, so my driving isn’t necessarily worse.”

But so far as we know, William didn’t have dementia. So we don’t know what happened to him and regardless I wouldn’t place blame on anyone. Sometimes you don’t have warning signs before something like this happens.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneeking
Back