Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #114

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Way back in the beginning of this tragedy, I questioned BM being an actual hunter. I didn’t believe he was then, and even more so now.

(When I made the post, he was considered a victim, which I never believed he was, so . . . you won’t find the post.)

An actual hunter is a person who respects the process and people, but also the animals taken in a hunt.

Based on what we know, any hunting BM did was likely guided hunting. He’s no mountain master, and certainly is not a respecter of anyone or anything.

Deer farms are one thing if they are raising deer to sell venison. Quite another, to me, if they are a place to trap trophy game for an easy shot. That, to me, is not a real hunt. The animals should have a fighting chance.

(There are businesses that offer canned hunts, and I just personally have a problem with such things.)

I don’t hunt, but my DH used to, and we fed our family for many years on venison and elk. Good meat if you hunt properly and field dress correctly and butcher appropriately. Younger family members still provide meat for their families and donate through the butcher to the local food bank.

BM is a sickening excuse for a man.

IMO
I know what you mean. I knew a few men who were hunters and they were always responsible and mature about it. It wasn’t just fun and games, they respected the sport. No big egos like BM.

IE is going to have to stretch her Ethics handbook even further.

Presently she doesn't know what LE/theDA knows, relative to what else has been learned since the autopsy. She's not privy. Because he hasn't been re-arrested. (Yet.)

LE/the DA, meanwhile, knows all of IE's tricks. They won't be making the same mistakes. 500 officials at autopsy, pairs of investigators. If an expert's testimony gets 'sixed again, someone else is up to speed. Rogue DNA tested and put to bed.

All this time, I wonder what else LE has learned. Any iron loyalties melting? Any new wires? Wiretaps? Does Barry feel a little like Suzanne must have? Doesn't know where the threat is. Nearby? Around the corner? Later? Right now? Eyes everywhere?

May the wait here be brief.
Yeah, kind of ironic that he’s become the hunted.

Meanwhile there are many illuminating ideas, how Barry could have organized the night between Saturday and Mother's Day. Do we know also, what he probably did with the cooling boxes and for what purposes he could have used them?
I had to dust off my memory about the coolers. Do we know if Suzanne’s body was intact at the time she was barried in the shallow grave? Or was she dismembered prior? Ugh.

Moorman said CBI agents brought up other concerns as well.

“They did ask us, ‘why can’t we find any coolers at the house?’ And I said, ‘well I have no idea. I don’t know how many they had to begin with,” he said. “But I assume, as a hunter and a guy that maybe camps, he would have a few, and they couldn’t find a single one.”

I had to dust off my memory about the coolers. Do we know if Suzanne’s body was intact at the time she was barried in the shallow grave? Or was she dismembered prior? Ugh.

Moorman said CBI agents brought up other concerns as well.

“They did ask us, ‘why can’t we find any coolers at the house?’ And I said, ‘well I have no idea. I don’t know how many they had to begin with,” he said. “But I assume, as a hunter and a guy that maybe camps, he would have a few, and they couldn’t find a single one.”

I think we can safely put that macabre speculation to rest (I admit -- I considered it for a long time) because any mechanical dismemberment would have been obvious at autopsy.

I do think it's very possible that he used a cooler for transport and it may have been the cooler which carried cadaverine home. IMO he wasn't going to be traveling to Moffat with a dead body visible. She was petite. Cooler, perfect size for concealment. Perfect cover.

We don't know -- probably not ours TO know -- what was scattered and what remained in the grave and just how disturbed those bones were. And whether their arrangement yielded any clues. Was the body buried at rigor? Maybe showing evidence of having been transported in a convinced space. I hope LE unearthed every last detail.

I'm still not settled on which night he was at the river site. I think we might know he was there on Friday but was he there also there on Saturday night? He had about 3.5 hours to work with. We don't know how much time might have been chewed up at the river site or the firehouse if he did go there. All this time I gave him way too much credit for his supposed ability to disappear a body. This was anything but skilled or reasoned IMO. Frantic? Desperate? Rushed? Maybe he had a better place in mind and had to abandon it, for whatever reasons, but a shallow grave 45 straight miles from home is not clever. I think he was fighting the sunrise the whole time.

I never thought she'd be found.

Hallelujah that she was.

It's only a matter of time now. I hope he's feeling the heat.

JMO

I'm sure you're correct on that. The dependency alone at their young ages when this happened would be a factor. But I still think they have their doubts. We know it was a troubled marriage and the girls lived it. We know BM was controlling and the girls lived it. I'm not saying they don't love their dad and hope like heck he had nothing to do with her murder but they must at least secretly (imo) wonder.
moo
Harley Hunt (Leticia Stauch’s daughter) thought her mother was innocent until approx 3 weeks before the trial. IIRC, LE sat down with her and laid it out for her. Showed her the evidence. It was only at that point that she realized her mother killed Gannon.

Harley went on to testify at her mother’s trial and her testimony was riveting.

Felony Friday.

So many cases are breaking right now. Long-awaited verdicts. It's really time for Barry to face justice. IE is noticeably quiet and that's a welcome sound. She has about fifteen MILLION reasons to hold her tongue.

Barry's off at Bible camp.

Suzanne is on a shelf.

Can y'all hear it? It's the calm before the storm!

It's coming. Maybe not today, maybe not even in a Friday, and if not 2024, it'll still get here.

Before Father's Day would be fitting. I know, it's not husband's day, but it shouldn't be his day. He had a duty of care. And he didn't. Care. He. Did. Not. Care. About anybody but himself, himself and his oversized ego.

It's not much but I hope every single time he sits down to a steak, he fears it might be his last. With a lifetime of beige meat to look forward to.

JMO.

I'm so glad she doesn't get another shot to destroy any chance of justice, like she did with this case.
From the quoted link.

District Court Judge Kaitlin B. Turner wrote in an order Wednesday that 11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley's "actions reflect knowing and intentional outrageous government conduct." The order concludes that her conduct violated the defendant's right to due process and, as a result, "dismissal of the charges is an appropriate remedy."

This action by Turner is not supported by the facts of this cruel murderer who was days out of detention when he hooked up with the mother of the infant. The autopsy of the infant tells the truth.

DA Stanley was insanely foolish and stupidly naive to believe she was speaking off the record. MOO

From the quoted link.

District Court Judge Kaitlin B. Turner wrote in an order Wednesday that 11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley's "actions reflect knowing and intentional outrageous government conduct." The order concludes that her conduct violated the defendant's right to due process and, as a result, "dismissal of the charges is an appropriate remedy."

This action by Turner is not supported by the facts of this cruel murderer who was days out of detention when he hooked up with the mother of the infant. The autopsy of the infant tells the truth.

DA Stanley was insanely foolish and stupidly naive to believe she was speaking off the record. MOO
It does sound like a conflict of interest, doesn’t it? I mean they ran against each other for DA.

From the quoted link.

Rbbm

I think knowing and intentional outrageous conduct is killing a baby you are babysitting.

And DA Linda Stanley was speaking truth, whether on or off the record. The murderer needed a place to live and a bed to sleep in, and yippee, BONUS, he gets laid—that is why he was there in a house with a defenseless baby.

IMO

(I agree with your statement about LStanley being insanely foolish and stupidly naive, but I still do not understand how what she said violated the defendant’s right to due process. Was it because she said it and she’s the DA?)

I have supported LS in the past, but I am glad she is off the Morphew case, in the interest of bringing justice for Suzanne.

That said, any opponent of Barry’s is a friend of mine.
Linda can now join the #TeamSuzanne squad and watch from the sidelines along with us now.

Rooting for the new DA to take it over the finish line.
Time’s almost up, Barry.
Pink cuffs are coming.

jmo

Rbbm

I think knowing and intentional outrageous conduct is killing a baby you are babysitting.

And DA Linda Stanley was speaking truth, whether on or off the record. The murderer needed a place to live and a bed to sleep in, and yippee, BONUS, he gets laid—that is why he was there in a house with a defenseless baby.

IMO

(I agree with your statement about LStanley being insanely foolish and stupidly naive, but I still do not understand how what she said violated the defendant’s right to due process. Was it because she said it and she’s the DA?)
Yes, this was about the Prosecution making a public comment during the investigation. In comparison, at BM's arrest, besides her wardrobe, LS was also condemned following the press conference for responding to a reporter's question that BM's only comment was to ask for an attorney. That too allegedly violated the defendant's civil rights....

It does sound like a conflict of interest, doesn’t it? I mean they ran against each other for DA.
Having difficulty here... so what letters can I string together to sound like:

CATFIGHT!!...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
...ssssserrrraaarrrr ! !
perhaps?
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:
From the quoted link.

Linda ‘s forthright no filter personality certainly does not lend itself to being in the political arena. She should never have been in public office.
I remember viewing the tape originally and watching Sean Rice the KRDO reporter - the look on his face was like watching the cat catch the canary.
Sean wanted his scoop and in my mind also bears culpability - he knew what the ramifications would be if he reported this statement by Linda. A statement she believed was off the record.
Sean’s gotcha moment let this guy go free.
Yes Linda served it up but it did not have to go further than that room.
I contrast Sean with Lauren Scharf. She has hours of interviews with Barry that she never released. She said she did not want to compromise the case but she will release them after all is said and done.
Sean put himself before Justice for a victim
JMO

To err is human. To continue to err is reprehensible. There's a police officer who lied in order to get search warrants and other bad stuff in Indiana. All cases involving Forgey that were sent to the Tippecanoe County Prosecutor's Office would be dismissed, Harris said. Tippecanoe County prosecutors reviewed his body-worn videos and dismissed at least 51 cases.

We are so thankful Suzanne's case is no longer in the hands of LS. We are thankful for the charges being dismissed without prejudice so Barry Morphew can be charged again.

Jun 1, 2024
A Colorado couple charged in the death of a 10-month-old have had the charges against them dismissed because of comments Fremont County DA Linda Stanley made to a news station in Colorado Springs.

Linda ‘s forthright no filter personality certainly does not lend itself to being in the political arena. She should never have been in public office.
I remember viewing the tape originally and watching Sean Rice the KRDO reporter - the look on his face was like watching the cat catch the canary.
Sean wanted his scoop and in my mind also bears culpability - he knew what the ramifications would be if he reported this statement by Linda. A statement she believed was off the record.
Sean’s gotcha moment let this guy go free.
Yes Linda served it up but it did not have to go further than that room.
I contrast Sean with Lauren Scharf. She has hours of interviews with Barry that she never released. She said she did not want to compromise the case but she will release them after all is said and done.
Sean put himself before Justice for a victim
JMO

Yes. DA Stanley is indeed not cut for the political arena!

And knowing the baby decision by Judge Kaitlin Turner falls on the heels of Turner reducing the first degree charges of the son (J Tippet) who confessed he murdered his father, to second degree murder-- within only weeks following his arrest, for late discovery, it becomes all so obvious.

To be clear, Tippet's sanction was levied even before the preliminary hearing where there was no prejudice to the defendant!

In other words, Turner used her discretion to impose the most severe sanction available -- let a first degree killer off, seemingly, to deter future discovery violations by the DA's office! :eek:

To quote CO Supreme Court Justice Samour:

I worry about the optics of that sanction under the circumstances in which it was imposed. And I worry about the precedent today’s decision may inadvertently set.

IMO, as should the public be worried.

Just as @mrjitty documented the discovery violation allegations on BM's case were not as IE and MSN reported, anybody who reads beyond the headlines knows what happened with the baby killer too.

In the Tippet decision, three dissenting Supreme Court Justices (Boatright, Marquez, Samour) were so taken back at the Magistrates action to impose a sever sanction for a case that was clearly in it's infancy, that they wrote 10 pages saying as much, and titled it "the rest of the story."

Personally, I very much appreciated that these Justices also took the opportunity to similarly throw professional shade at the decision to strike an expert as sanctions.

From 2023 CO 61:

They [Turner] were looking for an opportunity to impose a severe sanction.

Having sat on a trial court for many years, I understand their frustration. But that doesn’t justify the severe sanction handed out here, which seems capricious and forced.

¶91 I worry about the optics of that sanction under the circumstances in which it was imposed. And I worry about the precedent today’s decision may inadvertently set.

Because there was no finding that the prosecution failed to comply with the March 29 deadline, the charge of murder in the first degree should not have been reduced. This is especially so given that defense counsel didn’t actively advocate for a sanction on March 29; instead, he left the matter in the court’s discretion, explaining that he finally had all the discovery covered by Crim. P. 16, that he and the prosecutor had just had a very productive conversation about the case, and that he was feeling optimistic about how the case would proceed moving forward.

Why the magistrate didn’t simply vacate the placeholder sanctions hearing at that point in time is not clear from the record.

¶92 The severe sanction imposed here was particularly improper given that this case is in its infancy. As the district court judge herself recognizes in the brief before us, our cases approving severe sanctions deal with late-breaking violations—whether shortly before trial or during trial—that are very prejudicial to the defendant.

Contrary to the district court judge’s contention, our legal framework doesn’t “overlook[] early-stage discovery obligations.” Rather, we haven’t seen fit to affirm severe sanctions for violations of early discovery obligations because such violations are generally not prejudicial to a defendant.

¶93 Our jurisprudence makes clear that a severe sanction like reduction of charges should rarely be imposed—and should be imposed only when absolutely necessary. See People v. Dist. Ct., 793 P.2d 163, 168 (Colo. 1990) (“When a party violates Rule 16, we believe the court should impose the least severe sanction that will ensure that there is full compliance with the court’s discovery orders.”); People v. Roan, 685 P.2d 1369, 1371 (Colo. 1984) (comparing “reduction of the charges” to “dismissal,” stating that it is a “drastic” sanction, and holding that it was “more severe than was necessary”); Kallas v. Spinozzi, 2014 COA 164, ¶¶ 16, 37, 342 P.3d 607, 610, 613 (noting that a “severe sanction,” such as “striking [an] expert,” should only be imposed in “rare cases with extreme circumstances”).

This type of sanction, while aimed at the District Attorney’s Office, actually punishes the victims—unfairly so—because it robs them of their right to seek justice for the alleged crime. It also stymies the mission of our criminal justice system to hold accountable those who commit crimes. Inasmuch as the prosecution obviously believes that Tippet committed the crime of murder in the first degree, he ought to stand charged of murder in the first degree. He shouldn’t get a freebie by having the charge lowered to murder in the second degree, especially when the District Attorney’s Office appears to have complied with the final discovery deadline imposed by the magistrate.

¶94 Don’t get me wrong—sanctions have a place in our criminal justice system, including for discovery violations. But here, the magistrate told the prosecution that it had until March 29 to comply with its discovery obligations or sanctions could be imposed, and the prosecution appears to have met that deadline. Therefore, it was clearly an abuse of discretion for the court to impose sanctions.

¶95 This sanction was utterly unjust. I therefore respectfully dissent.

¶96 “And now you know the rest of the story.” I am authorized to state that CHIEF JUSTICE BOATRIGHT and JUSTICE MÁRQUEZ join in this dissent.

Yes. DA Stanley is indeed not cut for the political arena!

And knowing the baby decision by Judge Kaitlin Turner falls on the heels of Turner reducing the first degree charges of the son (J Tippet) who confessed he murdered his father, to second degree murder-- within only weeks following his arrest, for late discovery, it becomes all so obvious.

To be clear, Tippet's sanction was levied even before the preliminary hearing where there was no prejudice to the defendant!

In other words, Turner used her discretion to impose the most severe sanction available -- let a first degree killer off, seemingly, to deter future discovery violations by the DA's office! :eek:

To quote CO Supreme Court Justice Samour:

I worry about the optics of that sanction under the circumstances in which it was imposed. And I worry about the precedent today’s decision may inadvertently set.

IMO, as should the public be worried.

Just as @mrjitty documented the discovery violation allegations on BM's case were not as IE and MSN reported, anybody who reads beyond the headlines knows what happened with the baby killer too.

In the Tippet decision, three dissenting Supreme Court Justices (Boatright, Marquez, Samour) were so taken back at the Magistrates action to impose a sever sanction for a case that was clearly in it's infancy, that they wrote 10 pages saying as much, and titled it "the rest of the story."

Personally, I very much appreciated that these Justices also took the opportunity to similarly throw professional shade at the decision to strike an expert as sanctions.

From 2023 CO 61:

They [Turner] were looking for an opportunity to impose a severe sanction.

Having sat on a trial court for many years, I understand their frustration. But that doesn’t justify the severe sanction handed out here, which seems capricious and forced.

¶91 I worry about the optics of that sanction under the circumstances in which it was imposed. And I worry about the precedent today’s decision may inadvertently set.

Because there was no finding that the prosecution failed to comply with the March 29 deadline, the charge of murder in the first degree should not have been reduced. This is especially so given that defense counsel didn’t actively advocate for a sanction on March 29; instead, he left the matter in the court’s discretion, explaining that he finally had all the discovery covered by Crim. P. 16, that he and the prosecutor had just had a very productive conversation about the case, and that he was feeling optimistic about how the case would proceed moving forward.

Why the magistrate didn’t simply vacate the placeholder sanctions hearing at that point in time is not clear from the record.

¶92 The severe sanction imposed here was particularly improper given that this case is in its infancy. As the district court judge herself recognizes in the brief before us, our cases approving severe sanctions deal with late-breaking violations—whether shortly before trial or during trial—that are very prejudicial to the defendant.

Contrary to the district court judge’s contention, our legal framework doesn’t “overlook[] early-stage discovery obligations.” Rather, we haven’t seen fit to affirm severe sanctions for violations of early discovery obligations because such violations are generally not prejudicial to a defendant.

¶93 Our jurisprudence makes clear that a severe sanction like reduction of charges should rarely be imposed—and should be imposed only when absolutely necessary. See People v. Dist. Ct., 793 P.2d 163, 168 (Colo. 1990) (“When a party violates Rule 16, we believe the court should impose the least severe sanction that will ensure that there is full compliance with the court’s discovery orders.”); People v. Roan, 685 P.2d 1369, 1371 (Colo. 1984) (comparing “reduction of the charges” to “dismissal,” stating that it is a “drastic” sanction, and holding that it was “more severe than was necessary”); Kallas v. Spinozzi, 2014 COA 164, ¶¶ 16, 37, 342 P.3d 607, 610, 613 (noting that a “severe sanction,” such as “striking [an] expert,” should only be imposed in “rare cases with extreme circumstances”).

This type of sanction, while aimed at the District Attorney’s Office, actually punishes the victims—unfairly so—because it robs them of their right to seek justice for the alleged crime. It also stymies the mission of our criminal justice system to hold accountable those who commit crimes. Inasmuch as the prosecution obviously believes that Tippet committed the crime of murder in the first degree, he ought to stand charged of murder in the first degree. He shouldn’t get a freebie by having the charge lowered to murder in the second degree, especially when the District Attorney’s Office appears to have complied with the final discovery deadline imposed by the magistrate.

¶94 Don’t get me wrong—sanctions have a place in our criminal justice system, including for discovery violations. But here, the magistrate told the prosecution that it had until March 29 to comply with its discovery obligations or sanctions could be imposed, and the prosecution appears to have met that deadline. Therefore, it was clearly an abuse of discretion for the court to impose sanctions.

¶95 This sanction was utterly unjust. I therefore respectfully dissent.

¶96 “And now you know the rest of the story.” I am authorized to state that CHIEF JUSTICE BOATRIGHT and JUSTICE MÁRQUEZ join in this dissent.

Seattle thanks so much for posting this for all of us to read. I fear we are seeing judges take actions like this across the nation that have no place in our society. The evil is taking over the good. And then what?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back