GUILTY TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case is so wild.
I've been following since the beginning (I remember the first posts here on WS), watched the documentary, listened to the podcasts, etc etc etc. I STILL don't feel like I even remotely understand what on Earth was happening here. I feel like the more information I get, the further away I get from understanding how in the [self-redacted] this blatant craziness and these two thoroughly unremarkable and not especially bright or charismatic people having an affair turned into MULTIPLE homicides, including of two children? Especially so (relatively) quickly?

I am against the death penalty in general, so to that end I guess I would say it wouldn't have been MY choice (though I wouldn't have been put on the jury to begin with then, hahaha) but I respect the jury's decision.

Chad is a loser who ruined so many people's lives, including his own, for NOTHING. I want to cross-stitch this and force him to hang it in his cell. ;)

They have to be pro DP to sit on a jury in a DP case so I think they're okay. It should also be noted they didn't have to impose it. They could have imposed life w/o parole.
No, they did not have to be pro death penalty. They just had to be willing to apply the law, including possibly imposing the death penalty even if they were opposed to the death penalty being the law.

People obey laws they don't agree with all the time.

Besides, even people who are pro death penalty still are aware of the weight of the decision to take a life.

MOO

Does anyone remember something/anything about Lori's father believing his family was in some higher (special) percentile of people? And, he stated this, not only within the family, but also at church gatherings,meetings, sermons, etc??

And now, the jury is victimized, too. They will have to struggle with having made a decision that might have been difficult, and that may cause them some pain. That’s something else Chad Daybell is guilty of.
Sadly, that's really true.

They did their duty to the best of their ability, but no one wants to make that decision.

Sometimes, I think the DP isn't really a penalty. I think of the lives that ended way too soon because CD was thinking with his penis. And because he talked himself into believing he had the right to choose life and death for others. And, when I think that -- I kind of think he should have to give something back to society rather than face death.

Maybe DP convicts should have the option to have their sentences transmuted if they dedicate the rest of their lives to being subjects for medical research. It takes so long to get medications approved because they have to jump through hoops before doing human trials.

Just thinking aloud.

They have to be pro DP to sit on a jury in a DP case so I think they're okay. It should also be noted they didn't have to impose it. They could have imposed life w/o parole.

I actually thought the question sheet they had to answer was brilliant. It was not death penalty questions but rather aggravating factor and mitigating factor questions that were affirmative or negative answers. So.... they were not saying death penalty but rather that there were no mitigating factors that should be considered and all of the aggravating factors existed.

In my personal life, I am not pro-DP for a number of reasons. But, I could have answered those questions and probably would have answered all of the questions in the affirmative. JMHO.

No, they did not have to be pro death penalty. They just had to be willing to apply the law, including possibly imposing the death penalty even if they were opposed to the death penalty being the law.

People obey laws they don't agree with all the time.

Besides, even people who are pro death penalty still are aware of the weight of the decision to take a life.

MOO
If you oppose the DP you get dismissed in jury selection.

I feel badly for his family.
I do feel for them, but I also think they have to take accountability for their own actions also. Children are dead. Their own mother is dead. I do wonder how different this might have been if his kids didn't support him in the way they did. What if they accepted what happened for what it was and their dad for who he has become. What if they told the truth on the stand and then spoke during the sentencing and pleaded for his life. Told the jury that he did have good in him and maybe told about how he was a good dad before Lori and spoke about wanting to have a relationship with him and to please spare his life. Instead the jury was left with his kids speaking what they have to know was lies based on all other evidence presented that pointed one way and then some of their statements the exact opposite. They didn't say a word to mitigate what the jury knows to be the fact that Chad murdered children and his own wife for money. I think the jury might have reacted differently if his children stood strong for the truth, but then spoke about wanting a relationship with him. They had to wonder why nobody spoke on his behalf during the sentencing phase, why no statement was made, why nothing was presented to try to save his life.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember something/anything about Lori's father believing his family was in some higher (special) percentile of people? And, he stated this, not only within the family, but also at church gatherings,meetings, sermons, etc??
I'd never heard that but it's interesting and would like to hear more.

I think this came from early Megan Conner interviews, when she spoke of visits to the Cox's as a child/teen.

I forgot the exact quote, but it was crazy arrogant.

MOO

I *think* this one

Last edited:
I just finished watching the closing arguments, and I want to credit Lindsey Blake for a great job. It may have been the best closing argument I have ever seen. Very straight forward, clear explanation of all the crimes in a very complicated case. (Stark contrast to Prior's condescending, loony presentation.)

And now, the jury is victimized, too. They will have to struggle with having made a decision that might have been difficult, and that may cause them some pain. That’s something else Chad Daybell is guilty of.
It's not like it was their personal view on the DP that made them decide. They promised in advance they would be able to follow the law and were given a set of instructions. Twice they asked the court for clarification. They took their time to apply the instructions.

It's not like it was their personal view on the DP that made them decide. They promised in advance they would be able to follow the law and were given a set of instructions. Twice they asked the court for clarification. They took their time to apply the instructions.
I am curious what the 2 questions were that the jury asked.

I do feel for them, but I also think they have to take accountability for their own actions also. Children are dead. Their own mother is dead. I do wonder how different this might have been if his kids didn't support him in the way they did. What if they accepted what happened for what it was and their dad for who he has become. What if they told the truth on the stand and then spoke during the sentencing and pleaded for his life. Told the jury that he did have good in him and maybe told about how he was a good dad before Lori and spoke about wanting to have a relationship with him and to please spare his life. Instead the jury was left with his kids speaking what they have to know was lies based on all other evidence presented that pointed one way and then some of their statements the exact opposite. They didn't say a word to mitigate what the jury knows to be the fact that Chad murdered children and his own wife for money. I think the jury might have reacted differently if his children stood strong for the truth, but then spoke about wanting a relationship with him. They had to wonder why nobody spoke on his behalf during the sentencing phase, why no statement was made, why nothing was presented to try to save his life.
Nailed it and therein lies a consequence of lying. Had they begged for his life and talked about the anguish of losing both parents, one juror may have felt enough sympathy to opt for LWOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member