GUILTY NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Please tell me, where in the United States (and the world) for that matter that Trump is not the most well known person on the planet--
That's not the point. The trial could have been moved to Staten Island where it would be more likely to seat an unbiased jury.

Trump has suggested on social media that the trial should be moved to Staten Island, the only New York City borough he won in 2016 and 2020.

Yes, it was, on appeal. He can try to use that again when he appeals the verdict, but I'm not sure how that will work out for him. Jury selection worked as it should, according to the panel. IMO.
I agree that the change of venue issue could be part of the appeal.

There are other issues that are much more of a problem that will be part of it. JMO.

Former President Donald Trump said he is “OK” with serving potential jail time or being under house arrest following his historic conviction on 34 felony counts of falsifying business records.

“I’m OK with it,” Trump told Fox News in an interview that aired Sunday when asked about the potential punishments. “I saw one of my lawyers the other day on television saying, ‘Oh no, you don’t want to do that to the president.’ I said: You don’t beg for anything.”

But, Trump added, “I don’t think the public would stand it. I’m not sure the public would stand for it.”

“I think it would be tough for the public to take, you know, at a certain point, there’s a breaking point,
” Trump said.
BBM

Some things never change with transparent Trump.
Same old,same old wanting/asking his devotees to do his dirt work for him.

LOL Texas Republicans. Birds of a feather...

I think that the article had some really good quotes from different people in it. JMO.
There are some good Republicans in the Texas leg for sure, but they are rapidly being forced out, and what's left are those who make a mockery of law and order. I say this as a life-long Texas conservative. Just one example: DOJ asked to investigate after Texas pardons man convicted of killing Black Lives Matter protester

So let's not look too hard at Texas to be our moral guide.

I agree that Michael Cohen is a convicted liar.

I also agree that all the lies he told were at the behest of Donald Trump.

People such as Michael Cohen and David Pecker were part of Trump’s most inner circle. They believed in him, were paid substantially, and did his bidding.

IMO going to prison was a wake-up call for Cohen. He was locked up, but Trump was free. That must have been emotionally corrosive.

Plus, Cohen had the receipts, as did David Pecker. I believe that’s what carried the day.
If you think of Trump as a type of “ mob” boss ( and I do) then Pecker and Cohen were two “made men” that were his lieutenants.
They both did Trumps dirty work/ bidding.
They were part of Trumps closest inner circle. Their hands are not clean of wrongdoing but all the actions on Trumps behalf lead right back to Trump himself.
They all thought they were above the law. And for years they were. It’s way past time for the chickens to come home to roost on Trumps under handed dealings.
It’s an imperfect system but we are all meant to be equal in the eyes of the law.
I am delighted the jurors did their civic duty honestly and fairly.

JMO

Former President Donald Trump said he is “OK” with serving potential jail time or being under house arrest following his historic conviction on 34 felony counts of falsifying business records.

“I’m OK with it,” Trump told Fox News in an interview that aired Sunday when asked about the potential punishments. “I saw one of my lawyers the other day on television saying, ‘Oh no, you don’t want to do that to the president.’ I said: You don’t beg for anything.”

But, Trump added, “I don’t think the public would stand it. I’m not sure the public would stand for it.”

“I think it would be tough for the public to take, you know, at a certain point, there’s a breaking point,” Trump said.
1717343816836.png

Donald Trump Compares Himself to Nelson Mandela​

1717343816872.png
Newsweek
https://www.newsweek.com › ... › South Africa

Oct 24, 2023 — The former president, who mentioned the South African anti-apartheid activist in New Hampshire, is at risk of prison in four separate ...

Actually, I lived in Manhattan in the 80s, Everyone knew Trump was engaged in illegal pursuits, including but not limited to his long-time affiliation with mafia in Atlantic City and NYC, particularly with respect to the mafia-controlled concrete business. Over time, he has also been found guilty of civil rights violations for refusing to rent to minorities, sexual assault, tax evasion, fraud (Trump University), illegal use of charitable funds for personal gain (DJT Foundation), money laundering, racketeering, and obstruction of justice. Many of these crimes were known to those of us who were living in NYC early on. Thus, to imply that all of a sudden, partisans are engaging in law fare is to ignore Trump's entire lifetime of criminality and the decades of litigation.

BTW, Trump was found guilty by a jury of his peers. He was born, raised, and lived in NYC, and continued living there until he changed his residency to Florida in 2019.

Welcome, @Bibbers.

I’ve been a New Yorker all my life.
I’ve met Trump twice and even met his father decades ago.

I have friends and family who are vehemently pro-Trump and friends and family who are just as vehemently anti-Trump.

IMO, for those who are convinced that Trump could not get a fair trial in NYC, I am compelled to point out that we are not a monolith.

As has been said numerous times, there is voir dire in which many potential jurors said they couldn’t be fair and were dismissed.

There were jurors who said they couldn’t serve because they feared retribution, and they were dismissed as well.

There are also the peremptory challenges available to the lawyers on both sides, who can dismiss a potential juror with no reason given. Ultimately both the prosecution and defense approved the final composition of this jury.

For better or worse, the issues for which Trump was charged took place in Manhattan (NY County) and therefore that was the reasonable place to have his trial, IMO.

He’s too well-known for the most common request for a change of venue, which usually is that a community knows the defendant and the defense wants the defendant to be moved where he or she is not as prominent.

That is really impossible in his case.

There are miscarriages of Justice—-IMO, O.J. Simpson and Casey Anthony come to mind—but it is the best that can be done and the jury’s decision is its decision.

Trump can and will appeal and that is his second chance.

I personally don’t want either Trump or Biden to be my president, but those are the choices we have been given.

Last edited:
I think it should be common ground for people to be against the weaponization of the Justice system to influence elections. JMO.

I think that is common ground. I, for one, totally agree with you. Once I see weaponization of the justice system to influence elections, I'll let you know and we can agree. We may see it in 2025, depending on what happens in November, but thus far, it hasn't happened, at least not since January 2021. MOO

That's not the point. The trial could have been moved to Staten Island where it would be more likely to seat an unbiased jury.

But in the interest of fairness, then all trials should be held in a similar way. All BLM trials should be held in Boston, no matter where the crime happened. All illegal voting trials should be held in the area most favorable to the defendant's voting preference. All abortion "crime" trials should be held in places where abortion is legal.

We can't treat one defendant differently than another.

MOO.

But in the interest of fairness, then all trials should be held in a similar way. All BLM trials should be held in Boston, no matter where the crime happened. All illegal voting trials should be held in the area most favorable to the defendant's voting preference. All abortion "crime" trials should be held in places where abortion is legal.

We can't treat one defendant differently than another.

MOO.
I feel that a change of venue was proper for this case but not for all cases.

Change of venue exits for a reason. I feel that there was a valid reason for it in this case. JMO.

Staten Island is not unbiased. I’m sure it would be Trumps first pick for change of venue.

As Trump leaves office, a look at his Staten Island ties

All imo

Welcome, @Bibbers.

I’ve been a New Yorker all my life.
I’ve met Trump twice and even met his father decades ago.

I have friends and family who are vehemently pro-Trump and friends and family who are just as vehemently anti-Trump.

IMO, for those who are convinced that Trump could not get a fair trial in NYC, I am compelled to point out that we are not a monolith.

As has been said numerous times, there is voir dire in which many potential jurors said they couldn’t be fair and were dismissed.

There were jurors who said they couldn’t serve because they feared retribution, and they were dismissed as well.

There are also the peremptory challenges available to the lawyers on both sides, who can dismiss a potential juror with no reason given. Ultimately both the prosecution and defense approved the final composition of this jury.

For better or worse, the issues for which Trump was charged took place in Manhattan (NY County) and therefore that was the reasonable place to have his trial, IMO.

He’s too well-known for the most common request for a change of venue, which usually is that a community knows the defendant and the defense wants the defendant to be moved where he or she is not as prominent.

That is really impossible in his case.

There are miscarriages of Justice—-IMO, O.J. Simpson and Casey Anthony come to mind—but it is the best that can be done and the jury’s decision is its decision.

Trump can and will appeal and that is his second chance.

I personally don’t want either Trump or Biden to be my president, but those are the choices we have been given.

Great post: Like you, i wish we had another choice instead of Biden. Sadly the democratic party hasn't bothered to groom anyone to step into the presidency. so given the choice between Trump and Biden, there really is no choice if we want to continue as a Democracy.

"Donald Trump breaks his silence
on how Melania and Barron are coping
since hush money trial guilty verdict -
and responds to fears
he could face jail
or house arrest."

1717351144876.png

I feel that a change of venue was proper for this case but not for all cases.

Change of venue exits for a reason. I feel that there was a valid reason for it in this case. JMO.

If the objection is political bias, then it should apply to all citizens equally. Otherwise, it's a corrupt system. MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MZ_Iwin
Back