TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe some of the data LE requested has been released and LE was finally able to access his accounts?

“Investigators said they are getting closer and hoping data requested from cell phone and tech companies will lead them to a person who knows what happened to Caleb.”

Maybe some of the data LE requested has been released and LE was finally able to access his accounts?

“Investigators said they are getting closer and hoping data requested from cell phone and tech companies will lead them to a person who knows what happened to Caleb.”

Sounds like it. 3 months is a long time, but then again police always say that it’s difficult to obtain all these warrants, or rather, to have the requested material granted from them.

True, that quote is a couple weeks old now.

And this cloning of the phone info release now? I think it is just because of the chatter around it? Right?
And I think they had said they "mirrored" his phone or something like that weeks ago? I think reported in the first Jen Coiffander interview with Tony and Randy? I'm not 100% where i heard that, anyone else remember?

And I just googled to see what mirroring vs cloning a phone is and found this

"Cloning is a "snapshot" of the DOS partition and system volume while mirroring is a real-time update of first two drives."

---

Because would they not have done this at the beginning of the investigation? Like 3 months ago?

Why now after all this time, would they just be like well lets clone his phone now and see what we find?

Last edited:

And this cloning of the phone info release now? I think it is just because of the chatter around it? Right?
And I think they had said they "mirrored" his phone or something like that weeks ago? I think reported in the first Jen Coiffander interview with Tony and Randy? I'm not 100% where i heard that, anyone else remember?

"Cloning is a "snapshot" of the DOS partition and system volume while mirroring is a real-time update of first two drives."

---

Because would they not have done this at the beginning of the investigation? Like 3 months ago?

Why now after all this time, would they just be like well lets clone his phone now and see what we find?
Maybe they cloned the phone previously but just now received login data from the apps? Someone mentioned Snapchat— I’m not sure what other apps Caleb had? Possibly Tinder, TikTok, FB, Instagram or…. ?

Because how else could people have thought Caleb was on his phone other than he appeared active on his apps ?

LE wouldn’t have the cloned phone send texts or make calls would they?

I just have to say, IMO, when Tony Mathis is "sharing" updates with whomever, on whatever platform, about where LE is currently sitting with the investigation, sometimes the information he puts out can seem a little koo-koo. JMO.

I wonder if today's rather laboriously written update from the CCPD was an attempt to shut down some down breathless misconceptions.

I must admit, "supremely confident" is a nice turn of phrase, but I would have preferred "Caleb's phone has not pinged since 2:58 a.m. March 4th, 2024."

All these months later... I just feel so certain he's long dead and gone. Ugh.

---

They didn't have his phone. So they have to get subpoenas and send them to the phone carrier. There's no way to clone a phone that has disappeared without extensive records from the phone company.

Filing and serving the subpoenas would take about 10-20 days, depending on local circumstances. Phone companies have a backlog of requests, so it can be another month for them to produce the basics. Then someone in LE has to analyze what came back (and, often, go for another subpoena - perhaps another person's phone).

They finally got the digital information necessary to "clone" the phone.

IMO.

3 months after his disappearance, CCPD still searching for missing student Caleb Harris​

The Corpus Christi Police Department is still aggressively investigating Caleb’s disappearance, along with state and federal partners.
Published: 7:18 PM CDT June 4, 2024
Updated: 7:19 PM CDT June 4, 2024

. . .
We believe there is at least one person out there in the community who knows what happened to him, so we’re waiting to hear from that person or somebody that knows that person,” Corpus Christi Assistant Police Chief Todd Green said.
The assistant police chief reiterated that CCPD is still aggressively investigating Caleb’s disappearance, along with state and federal partners.
“There’s a lot of work being done behind the scenes,” he said. “There are a lot of very dedicated professionals who are working every day, long hours, trying to solve this case and find out what happened to Caleb.”
According to Green, that still includes investigative techniques regarding cell phone, computer and digital data.

Every week we uncover some new information that leads us to ask more questions,” he said . “Every week we learn something new and we feel like every week we’re getting a little closer to solving it.”
In the meantime, a account continues to receive donations to help the family pay for resources they need to bring Caleb home.
If you know something that can help in this investigation, you can call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 888-TIPS (8477).

JUN 4, 2024
[...]

Authorities have deeply searched the surrounding areas of Harris’ last known location for surveillance footage but have not been able to connect the dots.

Thus far, forensic computer examiners have reviewed hundreds of gigabytes of electronic data and continue to do so daily.

If you have information regarding Harris’s whereabouts, please contact the Corpus Christ Police Department at 361-826-2840 or leave an anonymous tip at 888-TIPS (888-8477).

JUN 4, 2024
[...]

Authorities have deeply searched the surrounding areas of Harris’ last known location for surveillance footage but have not been able to connect the dots.

Thus far, forensic computer examiners have reviewed hundreds of gigabytes of electronic data and continue to do so daily.

If you have information regarding Harris’s whereabouts, please contact the Corpus Christ Police Department at 361-826-2840 or leave an anonymous tip at 888-TIPS (888-8477).
I find it troubling that folks now have to crowd fund in order to pick up the slack.

June 5 2024
Without having Harris' cell phone, detectives do not know its whereabouts, nor have they been able to trace the location of the missing phone, Green said.

"Without the phone in our possession, detectives are unable to determine whether the cell phone lost power or was deliberately powered off," he noted. "The recent activity does not impact that facet of the investigation."

He said they are exhausting every investigative tactic to recover the device.

…..

CCPD investigators continue to meet on a bi-weekly basis with investigators from the Texas Rangers and the FBI to share information, discuss leads and plot strategy, police say.

June 5 2024
Without having Harris' cell phone, detectives do not know its whereabouts, nor have they been able to trace the location of the missing phone, Green said.

"Without the phone in our possession, detectives are unable to determine whether the cell phone lost power or was deliberately powered off," he noted. "The recent activity does not impact that facet of the investigation."

He said they are exhausting every investigative tactic to recover the device.

…..

CCPD investigators continue to meet on a bi-weekly basis with investigators from the Texas Rangers and the FBI to share information, discuss leads and plot strategy, police say.
Thank you for the article, @mlhenn.

Noting:

On May 24, the department publicized for the first time that they suspected foul play in the man's disappearance.

Green, who works in the department's CID to investigate cases of missing people, said in a written statement provided on May 29 that no single piece of evidence suggested foul play, but rather an amalgamation of information gathered immediately following Harris' disappearance, as well as during the intensive investigation in the weeks following.

"The time of night that he is believed to have disappeared, combined with the fact that his wallet, keys, and pickup were left behind at his apartment, the lack of activity on any of his electronic devices, lack of any financial activity, along with the lack of any credible sighting in the past 11 weeks, leads investigators to believe foul play may have been involved in his disappearance," he said.

From the Caller Times article linked upthread by @mlhenn and snipped by me for focus:

"The time of night that he is believed to have disappeared, combined with the fact that his wallet, keys, and pickup were left behind at his apartment, the lack of activity on any of his electronic devices, lack of any financial activity, along with the lack of any credible sighting in the past 11 weeks, leads investigators to believe foul play may have been involved in his disappearance," he said.

Yes. IMO, this has been beyond obvious for some time. Now it's a matter of finding his remains. It could happen tomorrow, it could happen in years, it could happen never. And those remains, if found, may reveal nothing about what happened to Caleb, but they will be fact.

From the Caller Times article linked upthread by @mlhenn and snipped by me for focus:

Yes. IMO, this has been beyond obvious for some time. Now it's a matter of finding his remains. It could happen tomorrow, it could happen in years, it could happen never. And those remains, if found, may reveal nothing about what happened to Caleb, but they will be fact.
It does seem from all the above that he did meet with foul play. The only other scenario would be a sudden accident such as falling into water and being attacked by an alligator, which would make it difficult to find his remains. I hope he can be found soon so that the case doesn’t grow cold.

"We believe there is at least one person out there in the community who knows what happened to him, so we’re waiting to hear from that person or somebody that knows that person,”

Can we draw any conclusions from the statement made by Corpus Christi Assistant Police Chief Todd Green? Are we dealing with a local accomplice and perhaps a non-local perpetrator?

caught the attention of concerned individuals following this case online and through social media”

I just don’t understand this because unless this was something seen on a public platform, how would it have caught anyone’s attention? As in how did these “concerned individuals” even notice the phone was active / cloned / whatever? Moo

Yes, people who follow Caleb on Instagram were noticing the green dot next to his name in their list of contacts at different times - meaning he (or his account) was online, actively on the site. That led them to think he may have been alive or hiding out. A lot of chat on FB about this, so that’s why I think Tony and the police addressed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper