Found Deceased MS - Samantha McCowan, 32, crashed car into power pole & walked away, phone in car, last seen MS 184 & US 84 east, Jones County, 7 Jun 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My friend was driving her mother's car and smelled something awful.
Pulled over and found her mother in the trunk.
Maybe she was cold/in shock in the outdoors and climbed in?!?
Not likely that she was cold unless it was caused by shock. Lows in MS are in the 60's and 70's right now and that is after a day with high's in the mid 80's. I haven't looked up the specific temps for the day she went missing, though.

Agree.
And yet I wonder how she was found. Who opened the trunk and found her? Clearly not the person who put her in there (or her, if she got in the trunk herself). Was it decomp smell? Or was someone considering buying that vehicle?

Aren't trunks usually locked and inaccessible? How did she get in there? Was it a type of vehicle where you could crawl in the trunk from the back seat? Did someone have a key to that vehicle?
GREAT QUESTIONS! I have been wondering the same things.

I was telling my husband about this new case and the first thing he asked was whether the cars were locked. So I guess if this wasn’t an official car dealer, they could have been unlocked… but if she had a brain injury and managed to get into the car to rest, wouldn’t she have climbed into the front or back seat as opposed to the trunk? So weird.

And if she was not alone at the time of the crash… perhaps someone else was driving and she was severely injured and they panicked and didn’t want a manslaughter case on their record, I can’t imagine someone trying to badly hide a body like this as it would be noticed within a week. I sure do hope they can figure out what happened to this poor woman.
Good comments.
But I can't imagine a car dealership that doesn't lock their cars. Or is this the norm in smalltown MS?

Good comments.
But I can't imagine a car dealership that doesn't lock their cars. Or is this the norm in smalltown MS?
It definitely wouldn't be the norm in small town MS to leave the cars unlocked. Laurel has its crime as any town has and it isn't as "small town" as the TV show makes it seem. Yes, this is that Laurel. Just on the very outskirts of town. As you can see by the picture, it is a stretch calling it a dealership. When you look it up on google it says it's permanently closed.

Agree.
And yet I wonder how she was found. Who opened the trunk and found her? Clearly not the person who put her in there (or her, if she got in the trunk herself). Was it decomp smell? Or was someone considering buying that vehicle?

Aren't trunks usually locked and inaccessible? How did she get in there? Was it a type of vehicle where you could crawl in the trunk from the back seat? Did someone have a key to that vehicle?
Was it even a car that they were selling? Maybe it's a stolen car that someone used to somehow pick up and murder her, and then abandoned the car at this car lot, with her in the trunk??

After striking a Mississippi Power Company pole with her vehicle, knocking out power to some parts of the Powers community, McCowan was seen leaving the scene on foot, JCSD said.

WHO saw her leaving the scene on foot? Was there an independant witness? How far is the auto lot from the scene of the accident? No one has ever said what Samantha was doing when she crashed at 1 AM. Was she at work, a bar, a friend's house?

After striking a Mississippi Power Company pole with her vehicle, knocking out power to some parts of the Powers community, McCowan was seen leaving the scene on foot, JCSD said.

WHO saw her leaving the scene on foot? Was there an independant witness? How far is the auto lot from the scene of the accident? No one has ever said what Samantha was doing when she crashed at 1 AM. Was she at work, a bar, a friend's house?
Excellent questions Knox

The early linked articles say that she was seen on security camera video near the crash site.

This is the distance as per google maps.

ETA: I picked that specific spot in Victory rd as it's the closest it looked from the MSM reports. May be off a few meters, but not much I think.

1718163787987.png

Her obituary states, "She worked as a Bookkeeper at Flynt's Towing & Recovery/Flynt's Diesel Automotive."

I'm not 100% on the exact location of the used car place, but that workplace is right in the same block, if not the same place.
OMG that is exactly where media are saying she crashed!
What is going on? This is all too weird.

1718167322842.png

Her obituary states, "She worked as a Bookkeeper at Flynt's Towing & Recovery/Flynt's Diesel Automotive."

I'm not 100% on the exact location of the used car place, but that workplace is right in the same block, if not the same place.
Maybe she thought she would walk back to her workplace from the accident, but couldn't get in? Maybe the place across the street where she was found in the trunk is where her workplace stores cars they've towed, and she had keys to it? I still can't figure out why she was in the trunk, though.

Maybe she thought she would walk back to her workplace from the accident, but couldn't get in? Maybe the place across the street where she was found in the trunk is where her workplace stores cars they've towed, and she had keys to it? I still can't figure out why she was in the trunk, though.
Well evidently LE thinks it’s weird too, calling the MBI in tells me what they found is suspicious. I don’t think they believe she put herself in the trunk. Can’t wait to hear from the ME on COD.

Even weirder, if you’ve read her obit. It makes it sound as if she has already been cremated?

Odd all around, IMO.

Wow. After reading her obit, just wow. I knew she had a few children but not idea she had five. This is just such a tragedy. Those kids really need their mama.
Now that we know that she worked in the vicinity does this possibly explain why she may have been driving in area at that hour? Was she trying to get away from someone, hence the accident? Was her placement in the trunk of the car an attempt to hide her in plain sight or an attempt to frame someone else? I'm afraid that we might find out she was harmed by someone she knew, perhaps where she worked. This may not have been a random crime or a crime of opportunity. JMO

Well evidently LE thinks it’s weird too, calling the MBI in tells me what they found is suspicious. I don’t think they believe she put herself in the trunk. Can’t wait to hear from the ME on COD.

Even weirder, if you’ve read her obit. It makes it sound as if she has already been cremated?

Odd all around, IMO.
I surely cannot imagine them cremating her yet. She has most likely been taken to the state crime lab for further autopsy. I can only guess that the mention of her cremains has been mentioned in the obit due to the delayed memorial service and the family's intentions to have her cremated at a later date to honor her wishes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daniellelacy
Back