Found Deceased MS - Samantha McCowan, 32, crashed car into power pole & walked away, phone in car, last seen MS 184 & US 84 east, Jones County, 7 Jun 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So, what the heck happened????
I have no idea UNLESS they are saying no signs of foul play on her body? I would think the fact that she was inside the trunk would be a sign of foul play. Clearly something they found warranted calling in the MBI. Could she have been alive when place in the trunk and then died either from her injuries or the heat?

Darkhorse Press Facebook (approved local news source) page has a thread.

Editing this to add that just read the comments at the above FB page. That is all.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find an official statement yet (still looking) but the family has made statements on social media explaining what happened to Samantha and how they know for sure that the finding of no foul play is the correct one. I hope I haven't broken any rules by stating this. This is such a very sad case and brings to mind the many where a wrecked or disabled vehicle is found and the driver is missing. Most of the time no one ever gets answers. I believe they do have their answers in this very sad and tragic case.

Jones County Sheriff’s Department investigators obtained security camera video from the area indicating no foul play.
UPDATE: Body Found In Trunk Identified As Woman Who Went Missing From Jones County Wreck - Darkhorse Press

A few details found in this article:
McCowan had been at her place of employment, Flynt’s Towing & Recovery, on Victory Road and bumped her head on a piece of equipment before leaving then crashing a little ways down the road, sources with knowledge of the case confirmed.

It was mid-morning Monday when workers at Luis Auto Sales — a dealership that operates out of what appears to be a home on Highway 184 — made the gruesome discovery in the trunk of a car they had been working on behind the business. They immediately notified authorities, and personnel from the Jones County Sheriff’s Department responded and contacted the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation’s Crime Scene Unit to help process the scene.

There were witness reports that McCowan may have been under the influence of something just before she crashed.

McCowan had been at her place of employment, Flynt’s Towing & Recovery, on Victory Road and bumped her head on a piece of equipment before leaving then crashing a little ways down the road, sources with knowledge of the case confirmed.

It was mid-morning Monday when workers at Luis Auto Sales — a dealership that operates out of what appears to be a home on Highway 184 — made the gruesome discovery in the trunk of a car they had been working on behind the business. They immediately notified authorities, and personnel from the Jones County Sheriff’s Department responded and contacted the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation’s Crime Scene Unit to help process the scene.

There were witness reports that McCowan may have been under the influence of something just before she crashed.
Wow...so she allegedly had a concussion at work, left in her car and crashed just down the road. Still concussed from bumping the head + car crash, she walks aimlessly and ends up climbing inside the trunk of a parked car.
Weird, but kinda makes sense I guess.
I still wonder why she left work so late in the night though.

Sad regardless.

This doesn’t clear anything up for me. Now I have more questions than ever.

Was the trunk of the car already open when she came upon it? And so what was her cause of death? She just succumbed from her headbump and/or car accident injuries while she lay in the trunk??? Hard to believe if she was that critically injured that she was capable of walking from her vehicle to the car lot.

Was the trunk of the car already open when she came upon it? And so what was her cause of death? She just succumbed from her headbump and/or car accident injuries while she lay in the trunk??? Hard to believe if she was that critically injured that she was capable of walking from her vehicle to the car lot.
It happens with closed head injuries. People seem fine, go home, go to bed, and die in their sleep in the night.

She may have had a subdural hematoma as a result of hitting her head. Those can take time to develop and may indeed give one enough time to wander around, slowly worsening in minutes to hours.
Some people even have zero symptoms initially, then hours later, they die.

This is conjecture on my part, but it's an example of a possible scenario.

How tragic that she didn't receive medical care after bumping her head at work. No doubt that resulted in a concussion which lead to the car crash and the tragic chain of events that followed.

Following the concussion at work, she might not have had the ability to make the decision to get medical care. It's difficult for co-workers to insist on it on her behalf, especially if she resisted. I don't know if that was the case here, but it often is with head injuries.

May she rest in peace.

Wow...so she allegedly had a concussion at work, left in her car and crashed just down the road. Still concussed from bumping the head + car crash, she walks aimlessly and ends up climbing inside the trunk of a parked car.
Weird, but kinda makes sense I guess.
I still wonder why she left work so late in the night though.

Sad regardless.

Might she have knocked herself out at work only to leave when she thought she felt better? Just guessing why she left so late. But if that is the case, then unless she was alone, someone was seriously negligent to get her medical care.

I saw where they think she climbed into the back seat of a car that had the seats already laid flat and she entered the trunk area from there. I believe I also saw that it is supported by security video.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back