What do you think about the West Memphis Three?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
8-year-old Cub Scouts Steve Branch, Chris Byers and Michael Moore -- The Memphis Three Victims

The movie (Devil's Knot) watched years ago convinced me, at the time, that Hobbs did it along with his friend. I just don't think 3 young boys would hog tie their murder victims because that seems like an adult mentality conception. Also, the movie made it seem Hobbs was very jealous of his wife's adoration for and devotion to her son. MOO

APR 2024
"The hair found in the shoelace was consistent with Branch’s stepfather, Terry Hobbs, while hair found on the tree stump was consistent with the DNA of a friend of Hobbs, according to the documents. Police have never considered Hobbs a suspect and he maintains he had nothing to do with the murders."

“I thank the Arkansas Supreme Court for opening the DNA testing door that might finally reveal the truth about this case,” [Damien] Echols told CNN in a statement through his lawyer, Stephen Braga."

"Braga < > said their next step will be trying to reach an agreement with the prosecutor and “get this testing done in the most expeditious and reliable manner possible.”

IMO -- Innocent and I really wish they would test some of the evidence they have for DNA...
I wish too.
8-year-old Cub Scouts Steve Branch, Chris Byers and Michael Moore -- The Memphis Three Victims

The movie (Devil's Knot) watched years ago convinced me, at the time, that Hobbs did it along with his friend. I just don't think 3 young boys would hog tie their murder victims because that seems like an adult mentality conception. Also, the movie made it seem Hobbs was very jealous of his wife's adoration for and devotion to her son. MOO

APR 2024
"The hair found in the shoelace was consistent with Branch’s stepfather, Terry Hobbs, while hair found on the tree stump was consistent with the DNA of a friend of Hobbs, according to the documents. Police have never considered Hobbs a suspect and he maintains he had nothing to do with the murders."

“I thank the Arkansas Supreme Court for opening the DNA testing door that might finally reveal the truth about this case,” [Damien] Echols told CNN in a statement through his lawyer, Stephen Braga."

"Braga < > said their next step will be trying to reach an agreement with the prosecutor and “get this testing done in the most expeditious and reliable manner possible.”
Such a great comment. <modsnip> Great points!

Last edited by a moderator:
The DNA testing won't match any of the three convicted. No one in the world would push for testing anything if they were guilty and if there were any chance at all of a trace evidence match. That's ridiculous.

I am going to say I don't think Jason Baldwin had anything to do with the murders. I do think Echols and Miskelley did. It is just a feeling I have.

I think Echols is is pushing hard for the DNA because he doesn't want to disappoint his "supporters." It's not like they can be charged again, if his or Miskelley's DNA shows up on anything. All Echols has to say is that it was "planted."

It wasn't a good investigation by any stretch of the imagination. This case is a case for "How not to conduct a murder investigation."

I was shocked when they got out of prison. And I live in Arkansas, so that was the last thing I ever expected to see. My son told me and I didn't believe him, I came here to WS to find out. I am glad that Jason Baldwin left the state, he deserves to be left alone. If Echols wants the spotlight, fine, but when the DNA comes back as inconclusive or points to him or Jessie, I don't want to hear it was planted. Echols should just be thankful he is out, especially after all of his lies about what happened to him in prison were proven to be lies. I thought Jason said it best when he said he wanted another trial to prove that he was innocent, he really didn't want to take the Alford Plea, he did it for Echols. Either way, I don't think Jason had anything to do with the murders. He did have an alibi.

This case is terrible. Three little boys died and there aren't really any clear answers. Three people were convicted, and I think their trials were terrible. They should have had new trials, but the State of Arkansas knew they were about to be exposed for the investigation and everything afterward, so they gave them the Alford Plea. Nothing has been resolved in this case. Three little boys are still dead, three men had their lives taken away from them for a long time, and we still don't know the truth.

JMO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.
I’m in the same general camp. I definitely think Baldwin had nothing to do with it, but I think it’s possible that Echols and Miskelley (or just Echols, plus someone else) were involved.

I waver on this, but right now I lean slightly toward all of them being innocent.

I think Terry Hobbs, Echols/Miskelley, and Bojangles are all viable suspects - probably in that order of likelihood. I also think it’s entirely possible that someone did it that has never popped up on the radar.

The DNA testing won't match any of the three convicted. No one in the world would push for testing anything if they were guilty and if there were any chance at all of a trace evidence match. That's ridiculous.

They can't retry them so if they are guilty nothing will come of it

Well, I'd think that any income any of them are deriving off the publicity of the case would cease to exist at a minimum so I have to disagree with "nothing will come of it". Beyond that, there's simply no need to even bother. "Hey, I got away with murder! Time to go spend my life in the Bahamas!...nah. Better dig around and see if there's any trace evidence I left at the crime scene!"

On what planet does that make sense?

Also, it would likely open them up to a civil suit from the victims' families (see: OJ case)

I think they're innocent.

I am leaning towards thinking Terry Hobbs did it and I think the theory of him and his friend David Jacoby plus the 2 teenagers were involved makes sense. My only question if that is the case is where was Stevies little sister Amanda when it happened, she was supposed to be in Terrys care at the time?

MOO ^^^^

There's a rather extensive history of abuse of Stevie Branch, including possible sexual abuse, by his stepfather, Terry Hobbs who's DNA was found at the scene. According to Michael Moore's father, Michael spent a lot of time at Stevie's house. Christopher Byers was also a victim of abuse by a stepfather.

According to neighbors, the boys were seen riding their bikes toward the woods, after dark, when they weren't supposed to be out. My guess is that all 3 of them were attempting to run away together when they met with foul play and were murdered by Hobbs.

I’m in the same general camp. I definitely think Baldwin had nothing to do with it, but I think it’s possible that Echols and Miskelley (or just Echols, plus someone else) were involved.

I waver on this, but right now I lean slightly toward all of them being innocent.

I think Terry Hobbs, Echols/Miskelley, and Bojangles are all viable suspects - probably in that order of likelihood. I also think it’s entirely possible that someone did it that has never popped up on the radar.
Terry Hobbs or JMB I think are most likely suspects imo, both have a history of violence, both had in fact been violent towards each of their step sons. It's always more likely that a relative or someone close to the victim is the one who did it. I think terry Hobbs is more likely because of the hair found at the scene and also because of him having Stevies knife hidden away. His alibi changed a few times, him not even telling Pam that Stevie was missing.

That, imo is a lot more than what they ever had on Damien, not to mention Damien didn't have a history of violence, a part from fighting the guy who his ex cheated on him with (which is just stupid teenage boy stuff) I'd find it hard to believe that if he was heading down a road of violence, he'd start off by killing 3 eight year old kids.

JMB had already beat Christopher that day for not staying home and after that Christopher left again which could make a man like JMB very angry. The blood on the knife he gave to the film crew being human and the same type as Christophers and also his own wifes mysterious death a few years later

Terry Hobbs or JMB I think are most likely suspects imo, both have a history of violence, both had in fact been violent towards each of their step sons. It's always more likely that a relative or someone close to the victim is the one who did it. I think terry Hobbs is more likely because of the hair found at the scene and also because of him having Stevies knife hidden away. His alibi changed a few times, him not even telling Pam that Stevie was missing.

That, imo is a lot more than what they ever had on Damien, not to mention Damien didn't have a history of violence, a part from fighting the guy who his ex cheated on him with (which is just stupid teenage boy stuff) I'd find it hard to believe that if he was heading down a road of violence, he'd start off by killing 3 eight year old kids.

JMB had already beat Christopher that day for not staying home and after that Christopher left again which could make a man like JMB very angry. The blood on the knife he gave to the film crew being human and the same type as Christophers and also his own wifes mysterious death a few years later
My understanding of the timeline (which may be incorrect!) is that Byers was accounted for almost the entire time around and shortly after the time of the murders, and it would have been nearly impossible for him to have done it.

I agree he does seem like a good suspect on paper, much better than Damien, I just really don’t think he did it.

IMHO, the most likely scenario is that the kids were running away together to escape both Byers and Hobbs. Christopher fleeing physical abuse by Byers and Stevie fleeing physical and possible sexual abuse (there is evidence of this in depositions by family members of Branch) by Hobbs. According to Michael Moore's father, Michael spent a lot of time at Stevie's house and may himself have been trying to escape Terry Hobbs.

The kids were out after dark when they weren't supposed to be. Chris had already been physically punished (I think it was earlier that day?) by Byers for wandering off. A neighbor saw Chris and yelled at him to go home but the 3 of them kept going toward the direction of the woods.

So, no I don't think there's any evidence of Byers being involved in the actual murders but again, back to, a likely scenario is that Chris was attempting to flee him when he met with foul play.

They can't retry them so if they are guilty nothing will come of it
You mean besides the "gravy train" or whatever one wants to call it would completely dry up. PRetty sure no more books, speaking engagements, etc. if it's found out that they fooled us all. Not to mention what would be their ruined reputation and public image. Again, there's ZERO reason to push for any additional testing if they got away with it already and being retried has nothing to do with that.

Damien did have some history of violence. So did Miskelly.

In his captivating new book, A Harvest of Innocence: The Untold Story of the West Memphis Three Murder Case, defense attorney Dan Stidham exposes new details that up until now only he knew about the gruesome West Memphis murders, a case that has become synonymous with WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS.

Baldwin, Echols and Stidham’s client, Misskelley, were rounded up, arrested, tried, and sent to prison with lengthy sentences — Echols to Death Row. Other than a false confession, no other evidence exists that linked the three to the crimes.

“The killer is alive today. I am sure of it,” Stidham said in his book. “The real killer will never be prosecuted or even pursued by the State of Arkansas, which would like very much for this sad chapter in its history to simply disappear. But I cannot let that happen.”

Stidham’s book contains details never shared in previous documentaries or books about the West Memphis Three case — truths that only Stidham, the one attorney who worked the case from beginning to end, could tell. He hopes that exposing what happened will allow him to close the door on a case that tormented him for years and help exonerate the three innocent teenagers who spent decades in prison because of the malevolence of the police, prosecution and judge.

The West Memphis Three murder case remains one of the most discussed true crime stories today. In April, the Arkansas Supreme Court ruled to allow evidence from the murders to be retested using new DNA technology.

“They arrested, prosecuted and imprisoned three innocent young teenagers for decades,” Stidham said. “Who really did this and why? That someone is out there still.”

In his captivating new book, A Harvest of Innocence: The Untold Story of the West Memphis Three Murder Case, defense attorney Dan Stidham exposes new details that up until now only he knew about the gruesome West Memphis murders, a case that has become synonymous with WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS.

Baldwin, Echols and Stidham’s client, Misskelley, were rounded up, arrested, tried, and sent to prison with lengthy sentences — Echols to Death Row. Other than a false confession, no other evidence exists that linked the three to the crimes.

“The killer is alive today. I am sure of it,” Stidham said in his book. “The real killer will never be prosecuted or even pursued by the State of Arkansas, which would like very much for this sad chapter in its history to simply disappear. But I cannot let that happen.”

Stidham’s book contains details never shared in previous documentaries or books about the West Memphis Three case — truths that only Stidham, the one attorney who worked the case from beginning to end, could tell. He hopes that exposing what happened will allow him to close the door on a case that tormented him for years and help exonerate the three innocent teenagers who spent decades in prison because of the malevolence of the police, prosecution and judge.

The West Memphis Three murder case remains one of the most discussed true crime stories today. In April, the Arkansas Supreme Court ruled to allow evidence from the murders to be retested using new DNA technology.

“They arrested, prosecuted and imprisoned three innocent young teenagers for decades,” Stidham said. “Who really did this and why? That someone is out there still.”
This should maybe have its own thread. Found a three hour, three part interview with the author

Last edited:
Probably innocent.

Dumb redneck cops saw some kids in Megadeath T-shirts and thought 'case closed'.

I've never heard of a ritual that involves tying kids to sticks and throwing them in a swamp.

It'd be laughable if three eight year old kids hadn't been brutalized and murdered, if the killer of the three kids hadn't gotten away with it, and if three more boys lost decades of their lives because of ignorance.

“Justice had nothing to do with this case, none of these kids, despite Misskelley’s false confession, none of them rolled over on the other. You don’t see that in jurisprudence and it didn’t happen in this case.”

Misskelley was an “easy target” for the West Memphis police because he suffered from intellectual disability. He was tested by a forensic psychologist who learned his IQ scores were as low as 65 and only as high as 72.

“At first when you look at Jessie, he doesn’t have the classic look of someone who might be mentally challenged. I couldn’t understand why this kid could not tell me what happened at the crime scene. All he could do was repeat the story he was coerced to tell. Jessie is the type of person who, anybody he confronts on a daily basis, is 95 to 98 percent intellectually superior to him. That includes all third-graders, police officers, judges, lawyers, and whoever else,” said Stidham. “He had no concept of the criminal justice system and certainly could not understand his Miranda rights.”

Stidham emphasized that these tragedies of corruption and negligence don’t just happen in Arkansas, they happen all around the country.
“There are estimates that one out of nine people on death row around the country are actually innocent,” he said.

Now there is a light at the end of the tunnel, the Arkansas Supreme Court recently ruled that new DNA testing can be sought in the WM3 case.
The new testing is M-Vac DNA testing which allows DNA material to be collected from areas that are difficult if not impossible to reach.

‘We can pull some DNA off of these shoelaces instead of having a partial DNA. We will actually have enough genetic markers to put that DNA to a profile and perhaps get a hit. It will take the guesswork out. These kids deserve this and the parents deserve closure more than anything else,” Stidham said

*In 2011, Damien Echols was released from death row in the Varner Unit prison complex in Arkansas. Previously sentenced to die from lethal injection for the murder of three young boys, Echols obtained his release following the presentation of DNA evidence casting doubt on his original conviction. On March 6, Assistant Professor of Creative Writing David Armand conducted an interview with Echols and his wife Lorri Davis in Pottle Auditorium. Within this public forum, Echols discussed the circumstances of his conviction and release and his subsequent career as a public speaker and author

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beruptus
Back