Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know you're not asking me but I've seen it!

I've had a couple of octopus encounters in the wild. Out on the west coast in BC and in the Caribbean. Mind blowing.

One out west that had made friends with a woman who was wearing rubber boots similar to mine. My boots were not rubber, they were suede winter boots but were the same brand with similar markings. The octopus was comparing them :D It realized we were not the same person and I felt so bad, like I was an imposter. The only reason it revealed itself was bc it had mistaken me for it's friend.

I don't have the heart to ever eat one now, they're just too precious.
Some years ago I read "The Soul of an Octopus" by Sy Montgomery, a fascinating book.

It took me a couple days to figure out a way to cook the slices of beef. My friend suggested fajitas but I don’t eat those. But that did make me think there was a theme to the food banks distribution. The big red peppers, thin beef, onions, etc.

I made a light broth of the Better than Beef bullion. I didn’t realize it was a soft goo, not a cube. I had never used it before.

Anyway, I added butter, garlic, onion, salt & pepper. I brought that to a boil, then added the slices. I cooked them maybe a minute, turning once. I put them and the broth in the fridge.

For dinner I made a sandwich. I cut up a slice, melted cheese on it, toasted the bread, added sliced tomatoes and mustard. It was good! I will put the beef on top of a salad also.

Attachments

• IMG_5005.jpeg
    IMG_5005.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5007.jpeg
    IMG_5007.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5008.jpeg
    IMG_5008.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5010.jpeg
    IMG_5010.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 10
No, not yet. Should I?
May I assure you, I've already decided not to eat them. :) However, Alaskan King Crab Legs I will eat whenever I can afford them.

View attachment 509816 I don't know about the Szechuan, and now am intrigued. Articles says-- "It's not a chile pepper at all. The "peppercorns" are the dried berries of the Chinese prickly ash bush. Yes, Sichuan pepper is its own funky little monkey..." I'm confused though because the recipe calls for both peppercorns and flakes, and I know there's a pepper, so???

View attachment 509820 ??? That's a pepper.

@iamshadow21, is this true for you?

View attachment 509817View attachment 509819

Szechuan peppercorns are lovely. Resinous peppery flavour with a slight numbing sensation, like cloves have.

I have whole ones. When I use them, I toast them slightly in a tiny cast iron skillet until they smell strong and start to make sounds, then I crush them in a mortar and pestle. Then it goes in the food.

I made a light broth of the Better than Beef bullion. I didn’t realize it was a soft goo, not a cube. I had never used it before.
I've been using BTB for a few years now. I've tried beef, roasted turkey, roasted chicken, mushroom, chili, garlic, and Italian herb. Didn't care for the chili or garlic as they had a very bitter taste. I like all the others and use them frequently, in moderation due to the high sodium content. I especially like using BTB for making a small amount of gravy or sauce. It's more economical to use a teaspoon or so BTB in a cup of hot water instead of opening a carton of stock.

It took me a couple days to figure out a way to cook the slices of beef. My friend suggested fajitas but I don’t eat those. But that did make me think there was a theme to the food banks distribution. The big red peppers, thin beef, onions, etc.

Anyway, I added butter, garlic, onion, salt & pepper. I brought that to a boil, then added the slices. I cooked them maybe a minute, turning once. I put them and the broth in the fridge.

For dinner I made a sandwich. I cut up a slice, melted cheese on it, toasted the bread, added sliced tomatoes and mustard. It was good! I will put the beef on top of a salad also.
Sounds delicious

I've had a whole flattened chicken marinating overnight. We'll have some of it tonight with grilled eggplant and enjoy the leftovers with rosemary roasted potatoes tomorrow or Monday. I've made this Tuscan Lemon Chicken recipe many times, and it is always delicious. I've also made a Greek version with plain yogurt in the marinade. Either way, the chicken is flavorful and very moist. We usually grill it, but I'm sure it would be just as good when roasted.

I've had a whole flattened chicken marinating overnight. We'll have some of it tonight with grilled eggplant and enjoy the leftovers with rosemary roasted potatoes tomorrow or Monday. I've made this Tuscan Lemon Chicken recipe many times, and it is always delicious. I've also made a Greek version with plain yogurt in the marinade. Either way, the chicken is flavorful and very moist. We usually grill it, but I'm sure it would be just as good when roasted.

Sounds delicious but how do you flatten a chicken?

Sounds delicious but how do you flatten a chicken?
It's called "spatchcock" - the backbone is removed. We always ask a butcher at Nino's to do this, but it's supposed to be fairly easy to do with sharp kitchen shears. Once the backbone is removed, it's relatively simple to flatten the chicken.

It's called "spatchcock" - the backbone is removed. We always ask a butcher at Nino's to do this, but it's supposed to be fairly easy to do with sharp kitchen shears. Once the backbone is removed, it's relatively simple to flatten the chicken.

Thanks- If I made this recipe I would have the butcher at Nino's do it!!

Sounds like a great recipe! DH brought home a package of 6 chicken "drumettes" recently to grill. We used seasoned salt and a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic to season them and baste during grilling. Turned out very tasty!

How do you season the eggplant? I had grilled zucchini the other night and it was a little tasteless.

Scalded my hand a couple of weeks ago, couldnt bear any heat near to it, so have basically made salads. Today, back at the stove, made grilled tilapia, sauteed potatoes and zucchini. And always salad!

I buy small zucchini, slice them longways, season with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and sprinkle sliced almonds over them. Cook very briefly at high temperature under grill or oven. They keep their texture and dont get soggy.

Scalded my hand a couple of weeks ago, couldnt bear any heat near to it, so have basically made salads. Today, back at the stove, made grilled tilapia, sauteed potatoes and zucchini. And always salad!

I buy small zucchini, slice them longways, season with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and sprinkle sliced almonds over them. Cook very briefly at high temperature under grill or oven. They keep their texture and dont get soggy.
Must be contagious because I haven't caught a burn in a while and I caught a grease burn on my forearm recently, but nothing serious. Still, we're doing frozen fish today b/c it's hot and I just don't feel like cooking, lol. (Well, till later, when I'll play around with some ground beef.)

Luuuv salad, lol.

And just noting, aloe! Have you got any aloe gel? Or aloe oil, like maybe supplement capsules? Any kind of aloe. It's great for burns.

Well, if you were close, I could hand you an entire aloe plant!! I just split some big ones into smaller plants.

Attachments

• IMG_4997.jpeg
    IMG_4997.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4724.jpeg
    IMG_4724.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 4
How do you season the eggplant? I had grilled zucchini the other night and it was a little tasteless.
I cut a medium eggplant into eight lengthwise wedges, put them in a Ziploc bag, tossed with olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and Za'atar (middle eastern seasoning blend). I let the eggplant marinate for an hour. We grilled the eggplant but roasting for 30-35 minutes at 375* works well, too.

Last edited:
Must be contagious because I haven't caught a burn in a while and I caught a grease burn on my forearm recently, but nothing serious. Still, we're doing frozen fish today b/c it's hot and I just don't feel like cooking, lol. (Well, till later, when I'll play around with some ground beef.)

Luuuv salad, lol.
This is so funny because I burned my fingers the other day! On a shrimp :confused:

Aloe is one of the best things for burns. @PayrollNerd I'd love to get a cutting from you (do you ship to Canada? lol). You have an excellent green thumb :)

Many thanks for kind messages. Its ok now, held my hand in cold water for over an hour, then applied aloe gel. Only my thumb still looks a little raw.

This weekend am making Nasi Goreng met saté.

Many thanks for kind messages. Its ok now, held my hand in cold water for over an hour, then applied aloe gel. Only my thumb still looks a little raw.

This weekend am making Nasi Goreng met saté.
Just Googled it and YUM!! What kinds of spices/seasonings do you use for this dish?

I've been resisting my spring roll craving for a few weeks now. Thought I'd make rice with shrimp and broccoli but it's not the same. I really wanted that greasy, crispy wrapper but they were $7 for 5 rolls :confused:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back