Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You know what's really cool, I finally got actual ancho chile powder, I could never find it anywhere. It's not all that easy to get the ground chipotle, either. Some things I know I will probably never get:

fresh fresno peppers (looked everywhere)
green tomatoes (saw them once years ago at a farmer's market, haven't seen one since)
graviera or kefalograviera

Things removed from list/finally got it:
malt vinegar
pork belly

Will have to wait:
Thai chili peppers
hatch peppers
octopus
habanero chilis
fresh crab (so expensive right now)
ladyfingers (out of stock, lol)

You know what's really cool, I finally got actual ancho chile powder, I could never find it anywhere. It's not all that easy to get the ground chipotle, either. Some things I know I will probably never get:

green tomatoes (saw them once years ago at a farmer's market, haven't seen one since)

malt vinegar
pork belly

Will have to wait:
Thai chili peppers
hatch peppers
octopus
habanero chilis
Malt vinegar is underrated IMO. Battered fish and chips isn't right without it! I also have Thai chilis on my list. I've had my eye on them at the local grocery for months.

I saw a recipe with octopus and I cannot stop thinking about it! As much as I feel terrible, it's so delicious (if you've ever met an octopus, you'll never eat one again). Same with conch! Oh to have some fresh scallops, conch, lobster... I could cry lol.

You know what's really cool, I finally got actual ancho chile powder, I could never find it anywhere....snipped to reply...

Oh, glad you got it @snooptroop88. Duh. I didn't even know they sold an Ancho in powder form. I learned about Anchoes when I used to watch Pati's cooking show on tv, and still watch it sometimes.

(Me - Italian descent) So, I'm not Mexican, but I live in San Diego and we're about 25 miles from the Tijuana border. No, I don't go across like we used to years ago. Anyways, I had never had Pozole so I didn't know what'd it taste like, but I went ahead and made it. Pati said ANCHO Peppers can have a chocolaty flavor. There's plenty of the fresh Poblano Peppers around, but I had to look for the dried Ancho Chilis which are dried Poblanos. Had to soak them and put them in the blender per Pati's recipe. My Pozole which I made a couple of times came delicious. Now, I find out from you there was an easier Ancho powder. I would've rather had the Ancho powder.
Ancho Peppers -- They are actually dried red poblano peppers, and they’re known for their mild heat and rich, earthy sweet flavor that has subtle notes of raisin and coffee. (and chocolate per Pati :) ) Ancho Pepper Guide: Heat, Flavor, Pairings, And More
Another Pozole Recipe, most use Hominy in it:

There's Recipes at this link too.

Intro About Pati

Tijuana: Stories from the Border

Went on a Ancho & Pepper Binge. lol
View attachment 509404 Last year I grew Jimmy Nardello sweet & smoky Italian Peppers in containers on my balcony. They're very yummy.

View attachment 509402

Poblano of which Ancho is the dried version of same pepper. View attachment 509398View attachment 509400View attachment 509399View attachment 509401
I did as well not long ago, went on dried habanero binge. I was making like some habanero jam, I think. So I thought these dried habaneros would be much weaker than regular ones (I don't have much problem with fresh habaneros). Rehydrated, made the jam. OHHH no, much worse. I mean, I was weak in the knees.

Luckily nobody else in the house tried them because I'm the Official Food Tester of the household, LOL. If it's bad or off or wrong, I suffer. But nobody else. (And I did tame it down, and we did get to eat it. Later, lol)

I did as well not long ago, went on dried habanero binge...
1718084478316.png Those must've been super hot Habaneros! You seem to enjoy a lot of real adventures in cooking. Sounds like you have fun with it. :) I can't make up my mind if I like that kind of pepper. I like one kind of salsa I buy Habanero with Pineapple. It keeps without getting mold too, which I worry about not using a jar fast enough. Right now, I'm worried because I haven't been using an open bottle of Mrs. Renfro's Habanero with Mango Salsa. I feel pressured to eat more Mexican soon, but I've been on a steady Thai kick for the last month or more.
I saw a recipe with octopus and I cannot stop thinking about it! As much as I feel terrible, it's so delicious (if you've ever met an octopus, you'll never eat one again). Same with conch! Oh to have some fresh scallops, conch, lobster... I could cry lol.

You made me think of an octopus as a living wonderous thing, now I don't think I could eat any. Had it once and it seemed chewy. Never had conch, but heard about a soup that sounded wonderful. Are they endearing? Don't ruin King Crab Legs for me, please.

malt vinegar
pork belly

Will have to wait:
Thai chili peppers
hatch peppers
octopus
habanero chilis
I really wish I could get hold of powdered Chipotle here. All I can get us the tinned ones, which my partner can't eat because they all have oregano in the sauce.

Malt vinegar is lovely, but unfortunately, it's not gluten free, so we stick to white, apple cider, red wine, white wine, and balsamic.

I really wish I could get hold of powdered Chipotle here. All I can get us the tinned ones, which my partner can't eat because they all have oregano in the sauce.

Malt vinegar is lovely, but unfortunately, it's not gluten free, so we stick to white, apple cider, red wine, white wine, and balsamic.
Totally understood, I don't like the tinned either. The ancho and chipotle ones are really hard to come by in the stores here, so when I see it, I grab it.

Totally understood, I don't like the tinned either. The ancho and chipotle ones are really hard to come by in the stores here, so when I see it, I grab it.
It's not that we don't like oregano, it's that both oregano and marjoram give my partner really bad indigestion. It's the food sensitivity games on hard mode every day, here. A lot of condiments we just can't use, much as we'd like to.

View attachment 509413 Those must've been super hot Habaneros! You seem to enjoy a lot of real adventures in cooking. Sounds like you have fun with it. :) I can't make up my mind if I like that kind of pepper. I like one kind of salsa I buy Habanero with Pineapple. It keeps without getting mold too, which I worry about not using a jar fast enough. Right now, I'm worried because I haven't been using an open bottle of Mrs. Renfro's Habanero with Mango Salsa. I feel pressured to eat more Mexican soon, but I've been on a steady Thai kick for the last month or more.

You made me think of an octopus as a living wonderous thing, now I don't think I could eat any. Had it once and it seemed chewy. Never had conch, but heard about a soup that sounded wonderful. Are they endearing? Don't ruin King Crab Legs for me, please.

OMgosh, that sounds wicked good, I'm ashamed I never considered that combination before, LOL. LOVE pineapple. Seriously.

The day I made this habanero jam, the only thing I really had to mellow it was (brace yourself) strawberry jam. And it did work! The habaneros were so potent, the jam didn't really matter much, LOL.

The habanero and pineapple, though, actually sounds really good, like with fresh habaneros.

Octopus is REALLY good, honestly. I had it chewy, too, but it was still good. I'd grill it if I could get it. Never been able to make it myself, only got it at a buffet. (I'm like octopus at a buffet, seriously???)

OMgosh, that sounds wicked good, I'm ashamed I never considered that combination before, LOL. LOVE pineapple. Seriously...
1718087285068.png I love pineapple too. I put tiny chunks of dried pineapple in my cold cereal with coconut flakes, etc., going towards a Pina Colada. The first time I bought this salsa was because it had pineapple in it, and it was a good price. The Pineapple is in little chunks and I think it preserves the salsa. Good luck on your next batch.

Wow, look at some of these! Click on to enlarge.
1718087554006.png1718087689906.png1718087622717.png

1718087994495.png Now, I know I can't eat 'em. They're intelligent and have a mini brain on each arm. Sorry, I know I don't want to hear that about King Crabs with the long delicious legs.

View attachment 509416 I love pineapple too. I put tiny chunks of dried pineapple in my cold cereal with coconut flakes, etc., going towards a Pina Colada. The first time I bought this salsa was because it had pineapple in it, and it was a good price. The Pineapple is in little chunks and I think it preserves the salsa. Good luck on your next batch.

View attachment 509417View attachment 509419View attachment 509418

View attachment 509420 Now, I know I can't eat 'em. They're intelligent and have a mini brain on each arm. Sorry, I know I don't want to hear that about King Crabs with the long delicious legs.

I would still eat octopus but realistically, I'm more likely to encounter squid LOL! Calamari is lovely, especially the smaller, younger squid. I forget the name, maybe it's cuttlefish and not squid? Not the fried rings but the tips of the tentacles which are battered and fried. IIRC it's a Greek dish.

Octopus are amazing! Incredibly intelligent and sensitive. I met one once, I'll never be the same honestly.

Trigger warning: Not the nicest story ahead... Once on vacation, I was walking along an area of private beach when I came across a man with a large plastic tub sitting on the beach. He said "It's dinner" and I was horrified to see an entire, live octopus in a shallow tub. I said "You don't have to take it's entire life you know". He had no idea!!

In restaurants in Japan they keep octopus in tanks and literally cut off their legs as if it were a fruit tree. They grow back but it's not nice. So yeah, this man had intended to just kill the entire octopus so he could have a meal. It was horrible but I think I taught him something that day :rolleyes:

OMgosh, that sounds wicked good, I'm ashamed I never considered that combination before, LOL. LOVE pineapple. Seriously.

The day I made this habanero jam, the only thing I really had to mellow it was (brace yourself) strawberry jam. And it did work! The habaneros were so potent, the jam didn't really matter much, LOL.

The habanero and pineapple, though, actually sounds really good, like with fresh habaneros.

Octopus is REALLY good, honestly. I had it chewy, too, but it was still good. I'd grill it if I could get it. Never been able to make it myself, only got it at a buffet. (I'm like octopus at a buffet, seriously???)
I was thinking mango but strawberry would be really good!

I just found this recipe for Spanish Octopus: Braised and then grilled, it sounds amazing!! Spanish Octopus

Reminds me, someone told me about this lobster ravioli at the grocery store... I should put that on the list too.

Since everyone was going on about chilli oil the other day, when I saw this come up on my feed, I thought I'd share. I haven't made it yet, but Khanh is a brilliant cook, MasterChef Australia alum, and he makes truly amazing food. I have his cookbook on my shelf.

View attachment 509416 I love pineapple too. I put tiny chunks of dried pineapple in my cold cereal with coconut flakes, etc., going towards a Pina Colada. The first time I bought this salsa was because it had pineapple in it, and it was a good price. The Pineapple is in little chunks and I think it preserves the salsa. Good luck on your next batch.

View attachment 509417View attachment 509419View attachment 509418

View attachment 509420 Now, I know I can't eat 'em. They're intelligent and have a mini brain on each arm. Sorry, I know I don't want to hear that about King Crabs with the long delicious legs.

Have you ever seen the movie My Octopus Teacher?

No, not yet. Should I?
May I assure you, I've already decided not to eat them. :) However, Alaskan King Crab Legs I will eat whenever I can afford them.

Since everyone was going on about chilli oil the other day, when I saw this come up on my feed, I thought I'd share... Khanh Ong’s chilli oil is what our kitchen needs now
1718219569139.png I don't know about the Szechuan, and now am intrigued. Articles says-- "It's not a chile pepper at all. The "peppercorns" are the dried berries of the Chinese prickly ash bush. Yes, Sichuan pepper is its own funky little monkey..." I'm confused though because the recipe calls for both peppercorns and flakes, and I know there's a pepper, so???

1718220404522.png ??? That's a pepper.

@iamshadow21, is this true for you?
5. When eating Sichuan pepper, you may feel a bit...well, odd. Harold McGee says the pepper seems to mess with different types of nerve endings simultaneously, inducing "sensitivity to touch and cold in nerves that are ordinarily non-sensitive," and leaving you with an overall experience that could "cause a kind of general neurological confusion." That sounds troubling. But the feeling is actually kind of invigorating. Pop rocks in the mouth! Tingling tongues are primed for the spicy heat of the actual chile peppers. It's a strange, kind of exciting combo of sensations. So it's definitely reassuring to know in advance that nothing alarming is happening.​
1718219707997.png1718219830739.png

I know you're not asking me but I've seen it!

I've had a couple of octopus encounters in the wild. Out on the west coast in BC and in the Caribbean. Mind blowing.

One out west that had made friends with a woman who was wearing rubber boots similar to mine. My boots were not rubber, they were suede winter boots but were the same brand with similar markings. The octopus was comparing them :D It realized we were not the same person and I felt so bad, like I was an imposter. The only reason it revealed itself was bc it had mistaken me for it's friend.

I don't have the heart to ever eat one now, they're just too precious.

No, not yet. Should I?
May I assure you, I've already decided not to eat them. :) However, Alaskan King Crab Legs I will eat whenever I can afford them.

View attachment 509816 I don't know about the Szechuan, and now am intrigued. Articles says-- "It's not a chile pepper at all. The "peppercorns" are the dried berries of the Chinese prickly ash bush. Yes, Sichuan pepper is its own funky little monkey..." I'm confused though because the recipe calls for both peppercorns and flakes, and I know there's a pepper, so???

View attachment 509820 ??? That's a pepper.

@iamshadow21, is this true for you?

View attachment 509817View attachment 509819

Sichuan peppercorns!! This is another thing I'm always trying to get because I really want to try it and it's used in all kinds of recipes. I never see these in the grocery.

(Which for whatever odd reason reminds me of another item I can never get, furikake.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnelson
Back