Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Restaurant? What! Geez, you were lucky.

We were allowed out at lunchtime but strongly discouraged from drinking.

Once we got together for the verdict, they bought us a few plates of sandwiches.
Trying to remember, because I've never been a drinker.
I seem to remember anything alcoholic was off limits to us.

What's next: The jury will resume its deliberations on Monday morning.

Jurors in the double murder trial of alleged camper killer Greg Lynn have been sent out to consider their verdicts.

But with trials only sitting for half a day on Fridays — and not at all on weekends — the first full day of deliberations will not take place until next week.

As he finalised his instructions on Friday, Justice Michael Croucher told jurors the circumstances of the case meant there was "one narrow path to a unanimous verdict of guilty, but any number of paths to a unanimous verdict of not guilty".

Trying to remember, because I've never been a drinker.
I seem to remember anything alcoholic was off limits to us.
Another guy and I were the youngest on our jury and I'm ashamed to say that one day we went to a bar and had a few lunchtime beers. It was a stupid thing to do because the proceedings can get boring at the best of times and the last thing you need is a few 'tranquilizes' in your system.

In the jury which I was on (some time ago now) for the first 2 days in the jury room, rules meant that we were brought platters of sandwiches. On day 3 (which we were hanging out for! ) we were brought hot meals. And finally allowed out onto the tiny balcony with its high walls. The smokers were really happy! Ah, the joys of day 3! And that's when we finished up, so no day 4 for us.

Those times when you're on a trial and they bring sandwiches and food to you, is that considered a lunch break and then you have a certain time before the break is over and you get back to deliberation.

Or just sandwiches while you continue to deliberate.

Those times when you're on a trial and they bring sandwiches and food to you, is that considered a lunch break and then you have a certain time before the break is over and you get back to deliberation.

Or just sandwiches while you continue to deliberate.
For us, we had a complete break for lunch. Which was good, a chance to chat to each other.

So is that it for today ?

There is still the rest of today, surely.

And what's with "any number of paths to a unanimous verdict of not guilty" ??

There are always many options for a verdict of not guilty. Not unanimous, not enough evidence, evidence didn't meet bar...

If on Monday morning they go around the table and it's split 50/50. Then the people who think GL's guilty will need to direct the others about how they've negotiated their way down the path and have come to the conclusion. Possibly swaying others, possibly losing others.

My feeling is they were probably mostly feeling guilty until the judge layed out the charge. As the judge said, "there is a narrow path" ...but there is a path!

A guilty of murder needs to stand up to the highest amount amount of scrutiny and this is what we're seeing.

There are always many options for a verdict of not guilty. Not unanimous, not enough evidence, evidence didn't meet bar...

I agree with you but just want to point out that any verdict to be handed down has to be unanimous so he can’t be found not guilty if everyone can’t agree. If they can’t reach a unanimous verdict either way (within a reasonable amount of time) it will be declared a hung jury and a mistrial.

In his directions on Friday, Justice Michael Croucher told the jury Mr Porceddu had breached the legal rule of fairness several times in his closing arguments.

The judge pointed to 16 instances where Mr Porceddu made claims that had not been put to Lynn or ballistics expert, Leading Senior Constable Paul Griffiths, during cross-examination.

They included claims Lynn wrongly told officers he scattered the burnt remains in a tree stump instead of a tree root ball, and that Sen Const Griffiths’ evidence was open to speculation.

Justice Croucher told the jury Mr Porceddu should have questioned Lynn and the ballistics expert about these claims as a matter of fairness.

Because he did not, the judge said the jury could more readily accept Lynn and Sen Const Griffiths’ evidence, and reject the prosecution’s arguments.

Justice Croucher thanked the two jurors for their service, discharged them and offered to exempt them from jury service for 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member