Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think GL had a burst of anger with RH. RH might have had a temper, but you don’t shoot him. I think after he shot him dead, obviously in a challenging position, with CC have been witness and still alive, pondering keep her alive and you will be done for murder, take her out, get creative with disposal, and get away with it. Even if Police come sniffing, put together some bulldust story.

He might have been very in depth, precise, methodical with his story, but that’s what Pilots are.

Why I'm thinking we might get a verdict today :

1/Having followed the case as closely as time would allow, I cannot come to any other conclusion than GL murdered both RH and CC. That's where it all points and I suspect the jurors have made up their mind prior to being dispatched to the jury room.

2/ When I sat on a jury, admittedly years ago, the rules at the time were that if you were still deliberating at the close of Friday you spent the entire weekend alone in a hotel room. I can't remember exactly how long we deliberated for but when we were told early Friday afternoon that if we hadn't reached a verdict by the end of the day, let's just say we got a bit keener to reach a verdict. Now that rule may not apply any more. Don't know?
I checked this the other day in regard to the Charlise Mutten case and apparently they don’t sequester juries very often these days. They just go home each night and come back the next day to try again.

I've been searching and searching.
I'm surprised at the lack of any journalist doing live updates anywhere.
It is a contrast to the Chris Dawson trial where there were a handful of journos in the courtroom and we were getting regular social media updates from them.

I suspect as soon as the jury are sent to their room the journos will report it.

I checked this the other day in regard to the Charlise Mutten case and apparently they don’t sequester juries very often these days. They just go home each night and come back the next day to try again.
Probably a better way of doing things. I know in the case I served on it really changed the dynamics of the jury room when we heard we might be spending the weekend alone in a hotel room.

Jury out in missing campers trial​

Shortly after 12pm, the 14-member jury was reduced to the 12 Victorians who will decide the case.

Two men were removed in a random ballot process, bringing the gender split down to six men and six women.

Justice Michael Croucher said they would have as long as needed to deliberate.

I wonder if they have to wait a minimum time before they can give their answer. Eg if the all walk in and say guilty, can the deliver their verdict 5mins after leaving the court room
As far as I know, that would be allowed but perhaps not encouraged. That outcome would also be reliant on the jury foreman having called for a vote straight up and I think typically there is some discussion before asking the individual jurors for their verdicts.

From memory when I sat on a jury the staffer who attended the jury room left us to it and returned after say an hour or two to 'see how we were progressing.' I can't remember if he also offered us the opportunity to ask any questions we might have? He didn't hang around long. Left the room and left us to it.

Jury out in missing campers trial​

Shortly after 12pm, the 14-member jury was reduced to the 12 Victorians who will decide the case.

Two men were removed in a random ballot process, bringing the gender split down to six men and six women.

Justice Michael Croucher said they would have as long as needed to deliberate.
I wonder if the 2 men removed are feeling grateful or short changed after having sat through the whole trial and now discharged

As far as I know, that would be allowed but perhaps not encouraged. That outcome would also be reliant on the jury foreman having called for a vote straight up and I think typically there is some discussion before asking the individual jurors for their verdicts.

From memory when I sat on a jury the staffer who attended the jury room left us to it and returned after say an hour or two to 'see how we were progressing.' I can't remember if he also offered us the opportunity to ask any questions we might have? He didn't hang around long. Left the room and left us to it.
Keep in mind, that they will have lunch served which will take some time

I wonder if the 2 men removed are feeling grateful or short changed after having sat through the whole trial and now discharged
Probably a bit short changed, I'm guessing?

We didn't have alternates on the jury I served on but I image they attended the jury room during the trial like the other 12 did and if that's the case, they would likely have a fairly good feel for how the verdict might go.

During a trial I was on, we were taken to a restaurant across the road for lunch.

We were told if we saw someone we knew, in the street or in the restaurant we were not to speak to them, even to say hello.

I don't know if the meal was their cheapest one, but I'm not that fussy and did not find it enjoyable or filling.

Probably a bit short changed, I'm guessing?

We didn't have alternates on the jury I served on but I image they attended the jury room during the trial like the other 12 did and if that's the case, they would likely have a fairly good feel for how the verdict might go.
I wonder if they are allowed to leave the court before the decision is made?

During a trial I was on, we were taken to a restaurant across the road for lunch.

We were told if we saw someone we knew, in the street or in the restaurant we were not to speak to them, even to say hello.

I don't know if the meal was their cheapest one, but I'm not that fussy and did not find it enjoyable or filling.
Restaurant? What! Geez, you were lucky.

We were allowed out at lunchtime, strongly discouraged from drinking and we had to buy our own meals.

Once we got together for the verdict, they bought us a few plates of sandwiches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum