Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How realistic is the expectation that the US should send an official search team to locate its citizen that goes missing abroad? Has that happened in other cases?
In Canada, the SAR teams are all volunteer, they get little or no government support. If you're lost in the wilderness, police may bring a sniffer dog to your last location, but they won't go looking behind bushes for anyone except a small child. SAR's have formed for that reason.

I've noticed in California, some SAR seem to be paid employees, but IMO that's very unusual.

Since Greeks aren't into hiking, etc, there seems to be no SAR groups.

As far as Consulates, IMO they stay far away from offering support to individual tourists for anything except passport/visa issues, and providing names of lawyers. They absolutely can't help everyone, and they won't play favorites and help some but not others.

JMO

I notice he has a facial asymmetry in the missing person photos.Does he have Bell's palsy or has he had a stroke in the past?

About midnight there now. Not ONE word of any update or additional information. Is the internet so bad there that the family cannot post? Why is there no news at all for the last 3 days? ( I have to think there is something newer from the family rather than what looks like the video in the airport bus, probably in Los Angeles, rather than Athens)
There was a video mentioned upthread...

There's a reason that people in that part of the world shut everything down at lunch time and open up again at 5 p.m. The warm breeze with the hot sun is not the right time for a long hike. He started the 4 hour hike after 9 a.m.

As an experienced hiker who has made the hike a number of times, I'm surprised that he bought water during his hike rather than carry water with him from home.
Bbm.

No, he was already 2 hours into his hike by 9.20am.

I notice he has a facial asymmetry in the missing person photos.Does he have Bell's palsy or has he had a stroke in the past?

About midnight there now. Not ONE word of any update or additional information. Is the internet so bad there that the family cannot post? Why is there no news at all for the last 3 days? ( I have to think there is something newer from the family rather than what looks like the video in the airport bus, probably in Los Angeles, rather than Athens)

Bell's palsy was my first thought, also. I wonder if he used eye ointment or eye wetting drops on a regular basis. I saw what I "assumed" were older photos and if so, he may have had this paralysis for awhile. jmo

Bbm.

No, he was already 2 hours into his hike by 9.20am.

From the information I listened to from his GF, they talked about 7 am local time, and he said he was going to start his hike, but he later texted her a photo of the trailhead distance sign at the start after 9am, indicating he did not depart at 7 am as he had said, but did something in the intervening 2 hours and did not leave Egaili until after 9 am.

In that intervening time, he is seen wearing a large backpack and carrying two identical black bottles that would appear to be water bottles. He is not seen in a typical small daypack, but it's a fairly large backpack and leads me to think he was backing and cleaning up the room, maybe eating breakfast in Egaili between 7 and 9 am.

Dbm - erroneous post. Fulsome apologies.

Last edited:
From the information I listened to from his GF, they talked about 7 am local time, and he said he was going to start his hike, but he later texted her a photo of the trailhead distance sign at the start after 9am, indicating he did not depart at 7 am as he had said, but did something in the intervening 2 hours and did not leave Egaili until after 9 am.

In that intervening time, he is seen wearing a large backpack and carrying two identical black bottles that would appear to be water bottles. He is not seen in a typical small daypack, but it's a fairly large backpack and leads me to think he was backing and cleaning up the room, maybe eating breakfast in Egaili between 7 and 9 am.
No, you are quite correct indeed. The trailhead sign was posted at 9.20am. It clearly says Asfordilitis 2 hours. Apologies, for derailing the thread. Will delete earlier post to reflect.

Screenshots included.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240617_225906_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240617_225906_Gallery.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240617_225301_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240617_225301_Chrome.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 15

It is quite confusing to everyone, GTB72

The Greek LE people are not releasing specific information, so it is a bit difficult to find the original source of specific data to verify the suppositions and the press is a bit lazy about what is real data and what is supposition. For example, I found an early article that states the woman sold him soda and water at 9:20. But I think that is from the supposed, about 7 am departure and adding two hours.

I've been searching for the CCTV footage of him with the backpack and two black bottles to figure out when that was taken, to identify whether he was still in Egaili after 7 am. I have found it but I don't see an associated timestamp.

Another source mentions "a roommate said he left at 7 am", but no other source has mentioned him lodging with anyone in Egaili, nor has there been any specific mention by LE of where he was staying.

I do find the comment the woman at Asphodilitis made to be strange. About him going over his route with her. If he had been on that trail at least 20 times before, as has been claimed, there is no reason to rehash the obvious trail unless, perhaps, he was trying for a faster route as he was 2 hours behind his original plans.

If he was looking for a faster route, there really aren't that many options other than joining up with the one road in the area, expecting to find a driver willing to pick him up. Other than the dirt road there that goes from where he had the soda down to E171, there is also one area where he could get onto the E171 road very easily, about half a mile south of Asphodilitis, before the steepest section of the rocky path starts downhill to the monastery. Perhaps he took this shortcut to attempt to join the highway.

Anyway. As no physical trace of him has yet been announced, we can only speculate from the limited information we can find.

Last edited:
Latest from the New York Post. Debbie Leshane very unhappy with the level of help.

Ebm

Thank you for this information. The Americans have been out there all day, everyday and clearly are getting little assistance.

I had read he was a dual citizen of the US and France, but this account says he has dual US Greek citizenship. By his history, the latter sounds more realistic. Just another inconsistency.

It is quite confusing to everyone, GTB72

The Greek LE people are not releasing specific information, so it is a bit difficult to find the original source of specific data to verify the suppositions and the press is a bit lazy about what is real data and what is supposition. For example, I found an early article that states the woman sold him soda and water at 9:20. But I think that is from the supposed, about 7 am departure and adding two hours.

I've been searching for the CCTV footage of him with the backpack and two black bottles to figure out when that was taken, to identify whether he was still in Egaili after 7 am. I have found it but I don't see an associated timestamp.

Another source mentions "a roommate said he left at 7 am", but no other source has mentioned him lodging with anyone in Egaili, nor has there been any specific mention by LE of where he was staying.

I do find the comment the woman at Asphodilitis made to be strange. About him going over his route with her. If he had been on that trail at least 20 times before, as has been claimed, there is no reason to rehash the obvious trail unless, perhaps, he was trying for a faster route as he was 2 hours behind his original plans.

If he was looking for a faster route, there really aren't that many options other than joining up with one of the roads in the area, expecting to find a driver willing to pick him up. There is one area where he could get onto the E171 road very easily, about half a mile south of Asphidilis, before the steepest section of the rocky path starts downhill to the monastery. Perhaps he took this shortcut to attempt to join the highway.

Anyway. As no physical trace of him has yet been announced, we can only speculate from the limited information we can find.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to post such a good reply. I just can't get my head around the info. It seems so conflicting. Where could he have gone from Asfordilitis? Due South to Chorlora, on further to Chora towards the Smiley Caves, up back towards the North coast and the main road to Katapola or did he do as an earlier poster say and perhaps lose something and he then doubled back. It is such an awful lot of ground for the family to cover. They desperately need the assistance of the U.S Government but sadly I don't think it will be forthcoming.

Latest from the New York Post. Debbie Leshane very unhappy with the level of help.

Ebm

I understand their frustration, but it is wise to stop searching after dark. It's much easier to make a mistake without light.

It has been 6 days since he was last seen. It's probable that they are looking for a body, or he is in the ocean. He had 2 cell phones with him and it's important to note that he did not use either of them. If he had notice that something was wrong, he would have reached out. He did not. That suggests that something happened too fast for him to use a cell phone.

Greek SAR were provided with his location, as it was known to friends/family, and spent 2 hours searching by helicopter. They found nothing. They probably know the outcome of situations like this better than anyone.

As for the USA SAR, there is no crime and it is possible that he chose to disappear. That's how it is with adults.

The only time I've heard of a massive search for a missing woman from the USA was Natalie Holloway. Aruba gave everyone on the Island a day off work, the Dutch sent F16s with infrared to look for a body. It made no difference.

"Leshane said she was shocked at the bare-minimum efforts local authorities have made to find Calibet. She said they flew a helicopter in the area for just two hours the day after he went missing.

Leshane and Calibet’s friends have been starting their searches every day at 5 a.m., and they end late at night with strategizing their next search and rescue hike.

But, she said Greek authorities don’t seem to work past sundown."

same link

I understand their frustration, but it is wise to stop searching after dark. It's much easier to make a mistake without light.

It has been 6 days since he was last seen. It's probable that they are looking for a body, or he is in the ocean. He had 2 cell phones with him and it's important to note that he did not use either of them. If he had notice that something was wrong, he would have reached out. He did not. That suggests that something happened too fast for him to use a cell phone.

Greek SAR were provided with his location, as it was known to friends/family, and spent 2 hours searching by helicopter. They found nothing. They probably know the outcome of situations like this better than anyone.

As for the USA SAR, there is no crime and it is possible that he chose to disappear. That's how it is with adults.

The only time I've heard of a massive search for a missing woman from the USA was Natalie Holloway. Aruba gave everyone on the Island a day off work, the Dutch sent F16s with infrared to look for a body. It made no difference.

"Leshane said she was shocked at the bare-minimum efforts local authorities have made to find Calibet. She said they flew a helicopter in the area for just two hours the day after he went missing.

Leshane and Calibet’s friends have been starting their searches every day at 5 a.m., and they end late at night with strategizing their next search and rescue hike.

But, she said Greek authorities don’t seem to work past sundown."

same link
It's difficult to argue with any of that. Just feel for the family, especially the brother.

This is a video that has what is reported to be CCTV images of him the morning of his hike, and appears that his GF has agreed this appears to be him.

Not good with screenshots, so I can only say that about 0:26 you see the image of a guy of his general size and build wearing black T-shirt, black shorts, and a black cap. He is carrying a large backpack and two very similar black bottles in his left hand. I think this is the luggage he usually brings on trips and either he is storing his luggage somewhere, or he carrying all his gear that morning down to Katapola. As he is very experienced on that island and that trail, I think it is entirely possible he is just moving everything down south by hiking the trail he has used at least 20 times.

From that I think we can say he was wearing a black cap (not a brimmed hat), a black T-shirt and black shorts.

Ebm

I'm willing to bet this island has at most one or two policemen, a motorbike and shared office space.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleleighD70
Back