Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Screenshots of Mr Calibet from above video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618_001800_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_001800_YouTube.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240618_001748_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_001748_YouTube.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240618_001731_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_001731_YouTube.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 20
Just been catching up on this thread - firstly, my thoughts go out to his family and friends at this horrendous time.

Walking in that sort of heat is asking for trouble - you’d need to be replacing so much fluid & salt in your body as you’d be constantly sweating it out (even more so if he was wearing black clothing).

The families video is heartbreaking im sure we’d all feel the same if this was our family member however, Greece finances have been in an awful mess over many years and I’m guessing they’ve had to scale back on public services such as Police - unfortunately, they probably have to make very hard decisions over which cases get their resources and this case seems like a recovery operation rather than a rescue so it probably isn’t high priority

Eric Albert undoubtedly speaks Greek quite well and has made so many trips to Greece and to Amorgos that he is probably well-known on the island and easily recognized. So local people would know exactly who he was, as he is quite distinctive.

I wonder how long he stays there for. He's not the typical tourist where we find out that he was determined to be missing when he missed his flight back to the US. It sounds as though he spends weeks there at a time, and his GF does not mention any pressure on him to be returning to the US. I wonder what he does all the time? There isn't a sports fishing business there that I can see, and one can only snorkel so many times. If he hikes every day, then it will be like a daily running trail to visit the various parts of the island, and likely multiple times. He doesn't appear to be acting as a guide for tourists or have bought a home or investments there. It doesn't appear there are significant archeological or historical ruins to be investigating and this has not been mentioned by anyone as a reason he is there. I just wonder what he is up to there and how many people are involved in his life there.

Does the island have a reputation for drug smuggling or illegal immigrant transit? Is he aware of or getting involved in these activities that tourists typically don't realize are happening?

I just keep wondering if there is an element of criminal action involved in his unexplained disappearance. Is this why his US LE brothers are also giving up their free time to find him?

*edited to add some thoughts

Last edited:
Eric Albert undoubtedly speaks Greek quite well and has made so many trips to Greece and to Amorgos that he is probably well-known on the island and easily recognized.

So local people would know exactly who he was. I just keep wondering if there is an element of criminal action involved in his unexplained disappearance.
I can't get that thought out of my mind too. The island has only roughly 2,000 inhabitants. Mr Calibet has been there 20 times. Is it possible he had the goods on someone? It would be a perfect place to commit a crime. Little CCTV, few people around. It's not as if this is London or New York.

Ebm

I can't get that thought out of my mind too. The island has only roughly 2,000 inhabitants. Mr Calibet has been there 20 times. Is it possible he had the goods on someone? It would be a perfect place to commit a crime. Little CCTV, few people around. It's not as if this is London or New York.

Ebm

He is "retired" but he works part time in the US. Would he be on this island related to his part-time US work?

I thought I read he had been to Greece more than 60 times, even though he does not appear to have Greek family roots so it's not like he visits his relatives in the old country every year.

*edited

I think the family needs to hire a Greek speaking private investigator to put the pieces together. Between the language difficulties and the limited local LE assistance, they are going to get nowhere unless someone gets some specific information from the local people who know him and his routines, activities, and interests

He is "retired" but he works part time in the US. Would he be on this island related to his part-time US work?

I thought I read he had been to Greece more than 60 times, even though he does not appear to have Greek family roots so it's not like he visits his relatives in the old country every year.

*edited
I was sure I had read on a link upthread 20 times but as you have previously said the info seems to be conflicting. You might well have read a link stating 60 times.

Was his visit to the island due to his part-time work? I don't know is the honest answer but from my point of view I think visiting a place 3 or 4 times is well enough no matter how beautiful it is, but that's just me.

The island is tiny and undoubtedly very beautiful but there are others islands in the area that are just as beautiful.

To go there dozens of times over the years tends to suggest to me other deeper reasons than the beauty of the island in question.

I was sure I had read on a link upthread 20 times but as you have previously said the info seems to be conflicting. You might well have read a link stating 60 times.

Was his visit to the island due to his part-time work? I don't know is the honest answer but from my point of view I think visiting a place 3 or 4 times is well enough no matter how beautiful it is, but that's just me.

The island is tiny and undoubtedly very beautiful but there are others islands in the area that are just as beautiful.

To go there dozens of times over the years tends to suggest to me other deeper reasons than the beauty of the island in question.
I recall reading he had been to Amargos at least 20 times, but actually had make 60 visits to Greece, undoubtedly enjoying other islands and the mainland.

I share your thoughts about his frequent visits. He likely stays in the same places every time. It's almost like when Europeans would visit warmer places in Italy or the Mediterranean for the summers, but generally places with larger populations and more activities.

I recall reading he had been to Amargos at least 20 times, but actually had make 60 visits to Greece, undoubtedly enjoying other islands and the mainland, too.
Apologies. I thought you meant 60 visits to Amorgos.

I recall reading he had been to Amargos at least 20 times, but actually had make 60 visits to Greece, undoubtedly enjoying other islands and the mainland.

I share your thoughts about his frequent visits. He likely stays in the same places every time. It's almost like when Europeans would visit warmer places in Italy or the Mediterranean for the summers, but generally places with larger populations and more activities.
Bbm

Yep, the Brits in Benidorm for one.

Regarding cell data, was he using a local cell phone plan?
This is a video that has what is reported to be CCTV images of him the morning of his hike, and appears that his GF has agreed this appears to be him.

Not good with screenshots, so I can only say that about 0:26 you see the image of a guy of his general size and build wearing black T-shirt, black shorts, and a black cap. He is carrying a large backpack and two very similar black bottles in his left hand. I think this is the luggage he usually brings on trips and either he is storing his luggage somewhere, or he carrying all his gear that morning down to Katapola. As he is very experienced on that island and that trail, I think it is entirely possible he is just moving everything down south by hiking the trail he has used at least 20 times.

From that I think we can say he was wearing a black cap (not a brimmed hat), a black T-shirt and black shorts.

Interesting!

Wearing all black in the hot sun is not the best option, my understanding is that white is best for keeping cool.

The photo from the linked ABCnews video - is that a recent photo from his current vacation?

What do we know about his travel plans? When did he arrive, when was he leaving, where was he going next? Was he traveling with anyone, meeting up with anyone?

Was he staying at his home, airbnb, shared home, hostel?

Did he ever take a small fishing or local boat between points on the Island?

Is there cab service between Lagada and Kalapola? There must be a bus.

The video of him putting his things in his car - not clear, but if he has a car, and all his things are in the car, why is he hiking to Kalapola to meet someone for lunch? It's a 4 hour walk there, 4 hour walk back - or take the bus on a hot afternoon. Why not drive for the lunch meeting, take a shorter hike earlier in the day, or in the evening?

He stopped to buy water - must have been extra thirsty, since it is believed that an experienced hiker would have lots of water for the 4 hour hike in 96°F weather.

Attachments

• 1718668560350.png
    1718668560350.png
    911.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1718668737635.png
    1718668737635.png
    363.4 KB · Views: 13

Interesting!

Wearing all black in the hot sun is not the best option, my understanding is that white is best for keeping cool.

The photo from the linked ABCnews video - is that a recent photo from his current vacation?

What do we know about his travel plans? When did he arrive, when was he leaving, where was he going next? Was he traveling with anyone, meeting up with anyone?

The video of him putting his things in his car - not clear, but if he has a car, and all his things are in the car, why is he hiking to Kalapola to meet someone for lunch? It's a 4 hour walk there, 4 hour walk back - or take the bus on a hot afternoon. Why not drive for the lunch meeting, take a shorter hike earlier in the day, or in the evening?

He stopped to buy water - must have been extra thirsty, since it is believed that an experienced hiker would have lots of water for the 4 hour hike in 96°F weather.
AFAIK:

1. No information about cell phone plans

2. Don't know if that photo is recent

3. Don't have any idea of where he was staying or what kind of lodging it is

4. Don't know but assume there is a local bus between Katapola and Lagarda

5. Hadn't thought about him having a car there. I guess he put his large backpack there but no idea what his plans were regarding returning from Katapola. I'm surprised to think he had a rental car.

6. Seems reasonable that he was very thirsty and hot at about 11:30 am and knew he had to have additional fluids to complete his trip.

Interesting!

The black thing being worse is actually a myth, what's important is looseness to allow for convection circulation of air, cooling the body.

The Bedouin wear black in the desert, and have done for centuries.

Interesting!

Bbm
I had always thought that too re white clothing but the science may well be conflicting.

Yes, there is a bus running from Lagada to Katapola.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1718662246993.jpg
    FB_IMG_1718662246993.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 3
This is so frustrating.
I think he must have had an accident or simply succumbed to the heat.
Otto mentioned that a white t-shirt (rather than black) would have been a lot cooler and I concur.
If he didn’t fall into a ravine or the like he could well be under a tree or bush and hard to find (he may have sought shade before succumbing to the heat.)
He is likely hard to spot like Michael Mosley- more drones to search for him or to search for some shady spots off trail that he may have crawled under.
I agree with Herat that a Greek private eye should be hired!
They could crowd fund with or similar if needed.

All IMHO

Latest from the New York Post. Debbie Leshane very unhappy with the level of help.

Ebm

article says that he has dual US/Greek citizenship.... so he is a citizen not a tourist BTW

He is carrying a large backpack and two very similar black bottles in his left hand. I think this is the luggage he usually brings on trips and either he is storing his luggage somewhere, or he carrying all his gear that morning down to Katapola. As he is very experienced on that island and that trail, I think it is entirely possible he is just moving everything down south by hiking the trail he has used at least 20 times.
I'd assumed he'd left a car at the trailhead...so was planning to get back to pick it up?.

I think the backpack could seem large but be lightweight. Possibly he wanted to bring a change of clothes/shoes for after the hike?

He could have had lots of water, but wanted to drink something cold at the store.

JMO

This is so frustrating.
I think he must have had an accident or simply succumbed to the heat.
Otto mentioned that a white t-shirt (rather than black) would have been a lot cooler and I concur.
If he didn’t fall into a ravine or the like he could well be under a tree or bush and hard to find (he may have sought shade before succumbing to the heat.)
He is likely hard to spot like Michael Mosley- more drones to search for him or to search for some shady spots off trail that he may have crawled under.
I agree with Herat that a Greek private eye should be hired!
They could crowd fund with or similar if needed.

All IMHO
Bbm.

The Bedoiuns wear black in the desert heat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back