Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was in Greece the last two weeks in May and the highs on the islands we were on were only like mid 70's but it was HOT. I live in Florida and so I expected to be chilly there but that was the hottest 75 degrees I have ever experienced in my life. The sun is just brutal too. Hearing about all these people going hiking on warmer islands on days where it is so much hotter than when I was just there a couple weeks ago sounds like a recipe for disaster. One of our lodgings on one island was up 247 steps! Not all in a row or even steps, like irregular meandering steps. That was rough.
Yes, Greece BAKES. The air is salty, too, on those islands: draws liquid out of you. UV is very high, and many times people don’t wear long sleeve shirts (e.g. “safari shirts”) and long pants. And, for a hike, sturdy shoes: twist an ankle in that heat while on a hike, and you’re toast. IME.

It’s become very easy in the US to get a UPF shirt; Australia has been on to this for years.

I seem to recall you could get a severe stomach ache if you drank a coke in sweltering heat. At any rate, a four-hour hike would require several liters of water to stay hydrated (wild guess, maybe a couple of gallons?). Definitely more than one liter an hour (I’d drink that in the woods in warm weather on the East Coast). And you’d need some to pour on your head. A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds, excluding the container. I really think these hikers are not likely to be hiking around with 16 lbs of water. And imagine a pack containing 2 gallons of, say, milk: no way!

Bbm

Perhaps she asked him where he was heading and his planned route and out of civility he showed her that? Maybe it was easier to show it on the phone than verbally? To be honest, this is tying me in knots trying to figure this one out.

Yes. We don't really have any verifiable information:

How long was he going to be staying on Amargos?
Where was he staying ?
Was he checking out of his lodgings in Aegaili or returning after visiting his friend?
What were his plans after her returned from Katapola?
Did he store his bags in his car for safekeeping for the day or take them with him?
Did he have a laptop in there?
Did he leave any money in there, passport (s), travel documents ?
Are there any Find My features available to others on his US based phone, laptop, smartwatch, other?
Has LE been able to search his room in Aegaili?
Has LE been able to search his vehicle in Aegali?
Who is the friend in Katapola? How well does he know this person?
Did he have medications?
How much water did he take?
Had he gone through his water when he got to Steki restaurant?
What did he tell Sophia about the rest of his hike?
Was she concerned about his condition at all?
Were there other people there?
Did anyone else on the trail from Aegaili see him?
Did any other hiker end up at Steki also?

Maybe he was trying to get to the closest road, where he could get picked up or even an ambulence?

I think he'd know that there'd be no medi-vac helicopter, or trained search and rescue personel standing by to bring him water, IV, etc.

Calling for help in the middle of the hike would mean that someone, probably less fit than he was, would have to hike out and find him, carrying extra supplies.

At least if he got to a road they could quickly just drive there. I think he might go off trail to try to find the road more quickly.

JMO
I haven’t looked at a map, but would guess a road was not going to be at hand. Locals might even get around the island mostly by boat.

That would clear up the question of whether he started the hike at 7 or 9. It sounds like he started the trail at 7, took a photo, bought water at a high point on the Island at 9:20 a.m., sent a photo of the trail head, and then what? Where did he go next? Shortest route to Katapola

I've read upthread that searches are conducted on the NW side of the Island based on cell phone data, but the family has said that they have no cell phone data due to uncooperative Greeks.

Was that his preferred route - avoid the monasteries, head straight to Chora?

Well, how else can you hike to Chora if you don't pass the monastery?

If you are on your way to meet someone, presumable for lunch, why would you take any other path?

An article on The DAILY TELEGRAPH app on my phone says

"American tourist Eric Calibet, 57, Missing since Tuesday June 11, found dead Sunday June 16"

However the text of the article, which outlines all the heat-related missing or dead tourists in the Grecian islands describes the search for missing American tourist Albert Calibet continues.

I am not sure what is correct. Using the name Albert doesn't bring up any new information.

* Edited because I had stated it was the BBC, but it was The Daily Telegraph. No one else has reported this. However, several other UK tabloid papers are using the name Eric Calibet, rather than Albert Calibet.
I thought the confirmed fatality was off the island of Corfu, which may account for the confusion?

This seems to be the last location for him. I'm curious - are searchers walking the trails that he would have taken? It's a small Island. There are not too many places that he could be.

I initially thought that he took the trail along the monastery, but he could have taken the route that is slightly to the West.

Topo Map and marked trails
But there are rocks and rubble, ridges and canyon areas. Very hard to scan the terrain. It would take searchers within a few feet of each other.

I haven’t looked at a map, but would guess a road was not going to be at hand. Locals might even get around the island mostly by boat.
The major road ( essentially the only road) is E171 on the west side of the island.

There are two partially paved roads that head up to the hills near to the trail he was taking. The most obvious one was the trail to the abandoned hamlet of Asphondilatis where the Steki restaurant is that he bought the soda and water at.

The other is about half a mile farther south and is a partially dirt road that goes down to E171.

The road looks a like it would be far preferable and faster than a boat to get from south to north & visa versa.

That would clear up the question of whether he started the hike at 7 or 9. It sounds like he started the trail at 7, took a photo, bought water at a high point on the Island at 9:20 a.m., sent a photo of the trail head, and then what? Where did he go next? Shortest route to Katapola

I've read upthread that searches are conducted on the NW side of the Island based on cell phone data, but the family has said that they have no cell phone data due to uncooperative Greeks.

The trailhead sign says Asfordilitis 2 hours so this is near Lagada. If he has sent that at 9.20 then commented his hike that places him at Steki Tou Machera at roughly 11.20. If he starts the trail just after 7am that means he is hanging about Lagada for 2 hours before commencing the hike, taking a picture of the trailhead at 9.20, and sending the picture to his girlfriend. Please tell me I am not going off my head here. Beginning to sound a bit like Abbott and Costello with who's on first.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240617_225906_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240617_225906_Gallery.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 5
Yes. We don't really have any verifiable information:

How long was he going to be staying on Amargos?
Where was he staying ?
Was he checking out of his lodgings in Aegaili or returning after visiting his friend?
What were his plans after her returned from Katapola?
Did he store his bags in his car for safekeeping for the day or take them with him?
Did he have a laptop in there?
Did he leave any money in there, passport (s), travel documents ?
Are there any Find My features available to others on his US based phone, laptop, smartwatch, other?
Has LE been able to search his room in Aegaili?
Has LE been able to search his vehicle in Aegali?
Who is the friend in Katapola? How well does he know this person?
Did he have medications?
How much water did he take?
Had he gone through his water when he got to Steki restaurant?
What did he tell Sophia about the rest of his hike?
Was she concerned about his condition at all?
Were there other people there?
Did anyone else on the trail from Aegaili see him?
Did any other hiker end up at Steki also?
So many questions, yet so few answers sadly.

The trailhead sign says Asfordilitis 2 hours so this is near Lagada. If he has sent that at 9.20 then commented his hike that places him at Steki Tou Machera at roughly 11.20. If he starts the trail just after 7am that means he is hanging about Lagada for 2 hours before commencing the hike, taking a picture of the trailhead at 9.20, and sending the picture to his girlfriend. Please tell me I am not going off my head here. Beginning to sound a bit like Abbott and Costello with who's on first.

Nope. You are as sane as the rest of us.

We just don't have the specific time when Sophia gave him the soda and the water.

It would have helped to know when he was at his vehicle in Aegaili to help settle how much later than 7 am he left.

I see it written in other reports that the friend in Katapola said that EAC said he was leaving at 7am, but his GF also said that he said he had a few things to do after the 7:06 phone call.

I'm beginning to think it doesn't really make much difference. In the absence of a trained and well-outfitted search party or tracker dogs, we are left looking for signs of unusual bird or wildlife activity. Certainly the US friends there have walked that trail back and forward and as of yet have not found any material evidence of him, a dropped water bottle, no phones, nothing. I do hope they can find another drone, as that is really the only way to search those steep areas and the regions of the drop-offs.

In Canada, the SAR teams are all volunteer, they get little or no government support. If you're lost in the wilderness, police may bring a sniffer dog to your last location, but they won't go looking behind bushes for anyone except a small child. SAR's have formed for that reason.

I've noticed in California, some SAR seem to be paid employees, but IMO that's very unusual.

Since Greeks aren't into hiking, etc, there seems to be no SAR groups.

As far as Consulates, IMO they stay far away from offering support to individual tourists for anything except passport/visa issues, and providing names of lawyers. They absolutely can't help everyone, and they won't play favorites and help some but not others.

JMO
IMO we’re talking goatherd trails, and not exactly hiking trails. The tread would be “unimproved”, and the “trail” might meander between properties. It would be very rough.

Almost certainly, Greek SAR is volunteer. But the lead might be LE.

I don’t believe there are any US consulates outside the Embassy in Athens. Millions of US tourists in Greece! The embassy might do something like death notification to next of kin, or maybe even having a protocol for sending a body home.

Nope. You are as sane as the rest of us.

We just don't have the specific time when Sophia gave him the soda and the water.

It would have helped to know when he was at his vehicle in Aegaili to help settle how much later than 7 am he left.

I see it written in other reports that the friend in Katapola said that EAC said he was leaving at 7am, but his GF also said that he said he had a few things to do after the 7:06 phone call.
Indeed, we don't have specific times for anything. My head is bursting with this now so I'm off to bed.

IMO we’re talking goatherd trails, and not exactly hiking trails. The tread would be “unimproved”, and the “trail” might meander between properties. It would be very rough.

Almost certainly, Greek SAR is volunteer. But the lead might be LE.

I don’t believe there are any US consulates outside the Embassy in Athens. Millions of US tourists in Greece! The embassy might do something like death notification to next of kin, or maybe even having a protocol for sending a home.
I do note in other people's photos posted on All Trails of hikes on Amargos, that often the trail is next to the stone walls of the terraces. From these photos, many areas looks rocky but well trod. There are really no wilderness areas on this very small island, it's more like acres of ancient stone walls with pens or even windmills here and there. And goat trails, too.

The brother did complain bitterly that the US Consulate could offer no help in organizing a search and had no resources. I think mention was also made that shepherds were aware and were also alerted to search for him.

I think posters and a reward could be very useful.

Latest from the New York Post. Debbie Leshane very unhappy with the level of help.

Ebm

IMO we see this quite a bit, both on the side of folks not understanding what SAR resources are, and in misinterpreting rescue protocols in foreign countries, or even places like Alaska. Sadness and frustration ensue.

It's not safe for SAR to operate after darkness unless there's a very low risk of a search member getting injured. These folks have families and lives of their own: they will not be sent out if the risk is high. In the Amorgos terrain, the risk (even of simply tripping in the dark) would be extremely high. In darkness, they wouldn't see remains, anyway. SAR shouldn't even be out there in high heat, IMO: there's every reason to have empathy and understanding for these teams.

Also, this is a small island. Two hours of gridded helicopter fly overs is a VERY detailed search, and very generous on the part of authorities. And that helicopter has to come from somewhere: it's unlikely to be garaged at Amorgos.

My experience with Greeks during my first visit, was that they seemed to be rude and annoyed. Family might be experiencing this, too. By the second trip, I determined that the way to interact was to be loud and throw my arms about. Tolerate folks getting in your personal space (e.g. on a bus). A toss of the head helped here and there, too. Dramatic. After that, I was in the groove, and my Greek encounters were friendly and easy going. But I can totally understand that someone unfamiliar with this might be offended.

I do note in other people's photos posted on All Trails of hikes on Amargos, that often the trail is next to the stone walls of the terraces. From these photos, many areas looks rocky but well trod. There are really no wilderness areas on this very small island, it's more like acres of ancient stone walls with pens or even windmills here and there. And goat trails, too.

The brother did complain bitterly that the US Consulate could offer no help in organizing a search and had no resources. I think mention was also made that shepherds were aware and were also alerted to search for him.

I think posters and a reward could be very useful.
Yes, I believe the "trails" are goatherd pathways, worn down for centuries.

Eric Albert undoubtedly speaks Greek quite well and has made so many trips to Greece and to Amorgos that he is probably well-known on the island and easily recognized. So local people would know exactly who he was, as he is quite distinctive.

I wonder how long he stays there for. He's not the typical tourist where we find out that he was determined to be missing when he missed his flight back to the US. It sounds as though he spends weeks there at a time, and his GF does not mention any pressure on him to be returning to the US. I wonder what he does all the time? There isn't a sports fishing business there that I can see, and one can only snorkel so many times. If he hikes every day, then it will be like a daily running trail to visit the various parts of the island, and likely multiple times. He doesn't appear to be acting as a guide for tourists or have bought a home or investments there. It doesn't appear there are significant archeological or historical ruins to be investigating and this has not been mentioned by anyone as a reason he is there. I just wonder what he is up to there and how many people are involved in his life there.

Does the island have a reputation for drug smuggling or illegal immigrant transit? Is he aware of or getting involved in these activities that tourists typically don't realize are happening?

I just keep wondering if there is an element of criminal action involved in his unexplained disappearance. Is this why his US LE brothers are also giving up their free time to find him?

*edited to add some thoughts
IME most people who go to the Greek islands aren't there for the ancient ruins. E.g. archaeological sites are spectacular on Thera/Santorini, but it's all about the white-washed village there, and the volcanic cone, and the donkey rides.

Amorgos is likely just for hanging out in tavernas and the beach. Kicking back.

I thought the confirmed fatality was off the island of Corfu, which may account for the confusion?

Several news agencies have been severely negligent in mixing up the missing Americans, or posting EAC's photo under a headline of Missing American Found Dead, when the person who died on Mathraki is a person named Toby Sheets, of NYC.

I too am surprised about him putting his stuff in the car, per the ABC news report. It must be his car, or was he putting stuff in someone else's car?

Did he not trust anyone so he kept his things locked in the trunk of a car when he was not where he was staying? Or was he planning another trip in his car?

Regarding his cell phone plan, perhaps he has a Greek SIM card. Still, his phone should have a personal ID number that his regular USA phone provider can trace. When I've travel internationally, I get a local SIM card. However, if I walked into a shop that was tracking traffic in and out of the store, my phone ID would show up, not my SIM card phone number. It's worth a shot for the family to contact Eric Albert's USA phone provider for location data.

If that photo is recent, maybe the friend in the photo has more information about Eric Albert's usual hiking route, and why he might have hiked 4 hours for a lunch appointment - rather than driven the car we see in CCTV footage. Was he Eric with some people, and Albert with others, or did everyone say Eric Albert?

I think it would be helpful to know more about his itinerary. We don't know when he planned to leave the Island, yet he is seen with extra luggage and a car on the morning of a day hike - same day? Is it confirmed that the CCTV of him with a car is from the morning of June 11?
There might not be an auto road between the two points? The usual route might be by boat?

Data might be protected in Greece. It's an EU country.
It wouldn't be "uncooperative" Greeks: in reality, it's likely to be LE following the law.
Same data protection in many other countries. Viz, Japan during a lengthy search last year for an American tourist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxooowow
Back